• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 952 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 952

15. Starting South

"So what's it like travelling Equestria, Trixie?" Spike asked from the roof of Trixie's cart. He was currently pretending to be a pirate lookout, partially due to the fact that Trixie had multiple costumes behind the curtain of her travelling home, slash storage area, slash stage, slash perfect area for Winona to rest. It was a really neat pirate hat too.

"Its fantastic, Spike. Everything Trixie had dreamed of as a filly." Trixie called from a platform jutting off the front of the cart. "Though, there have been some... issues." Trixie's pale magenta magical aura was focused on the wheels of the cart, rotating them to propel the cart forward.

"Like what?" Spike was now fencing with invisible enemies, as if he was fighting to the last.

"Well, you saw Las Pegasus. And Ponyville. Twice." Trixie flushed deeply. "But mostly the stuff that goes wrong are the things that Trixie cannot control. Incliment weather, detours, and even monsters."

"M-monsters?" Spike stopped his play fight and peered off the roof of the cart at Trixie.

"Oh yes. Trixie has had to either deal with or run from a variety of Equestrian monsters." Trixie replied almost nonchalantly. "Bugbears, Hydras, even an Ursa Major one time." Though Trixie had very clearly recalled fleeing for her life when it involved that last monster.

"How'd you take care of so many monsters? Even Twilight and her friends had trouble with the bugbear that attacked Ponyville."

"Trixie... ran, if we're being honest here." Trixie winced in a mix of shame and fear at the memories.

Spike let out a soft chuckle. "I'd have run too. Hydras are scary."

The trio continued on in silence. It wasn't an awkward one, like when you fart at a birthday party. More of the comfortable silence one could share with a friend.

The world around them rolled past. The landscape slowly changed from a coastal ride to one of a more arid landscape. Bushes and coastal flora was slowly replaced by hardy plants; cacti and the like. The dirt road they traveled became rougher, as if it hadn't been used in a long time. Grass became sand and rocks. The further from the coast the three of them got, the drier the air became.

"Welcome to the San Palomino desert, Spike." Trixie called dramatically to the dragon from her seat below. Winona barked once sharply, drawing a giggle from Trixie. "And you, Winona."

~~~

Night had fallen on the desert, quickly shifting the temperature from a mildly uncomfortable autumn heat to a cold, starry night. Spike, Winona, and Trixie had set up a small campfire off the side of the road. The only sound heard for miles was the song of the crickets in the distance. Millions of stars twinkled overhead, making Spike dizzy if he stared up at them too long. The only thing interrupting the view of the stars was the bright lights of Las Pegasus, still visible in the distance.

"This is nice." Trixie stared at the sky. "It has been too long since Trixie has been able to sleep under the stars." Moisture began welling up in the cyan mare's eyes. "I really can't thank you enough, Spike."

"Aw, don't thank me. It was Princess Celestia who really saved you." Spike flushed, rubbing a claw over the back of his head.

"Yes, but she wouldn't have been able to intervene if she hadn't been told of Trixie's peril. And she was only told because you were there." Trixie pointed out.

"Yeah, well. You'da done the same thing for me."

Trixie pondered this for a moment. In the past, she doubted she would have bothered helping... anypony really. Now? Trixie reflected on that for a moment. She'd like to think that she would have helped Spike. Or anypony, had she discovered them in the same situation she had found herself in. But honestly? Trixie had never found herself in any situations that had put her in a situation where she'd have to help anypony. And a part of her wondered if she would help. This scared her.

"Trixie? You okay?" Spike's voice pulled Trixie from her thoughts.

"Oh, yes. I- Sorry Spike." Trixie shook her head, as if it would force the melancholy thoughts from rattling around in there anymore.

"You sure?" Spike looked at the mare in concern.

"Y-yeah. Trixie was just remembering the past." The mare lied as she brushed back a lock of her pale blue mane.

"Wanna talk about it? I'd love to hear it." Spike scooted a bit closer, eager for a story now.

"Well," Trixie tapped a hoof to her chin. "Trixie could tell you about one of her favorite adventures..." She let her voice trail off as she thought about where to start.

Author's Note:

Current Location: San Palomino Desert