• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 951 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 951

16. Past Predicaments

Author's Note:

After a lot of consideration, I've decided to bump up the rating on this story from Everyone to Teen. I've been evolving the plot quite a bit, and it's started to develop some kinda heavy themes.

I apologize for the rating change, but I feel like the story needs to evolve into... whatever this is becoming. I figure better safe than sorry. :twilightblush:

"It was about two years ago, now. Trixie had just finished a show in Vanhoover." Trixie began. "It was right after the show, Trixie met a fi- I mean friendly mare who seemed to really enjoy the show."


"Wow! That was so amazing, Great and Powerful Trixie!" A mare with a cream coat and a seafoam green mane approached Trixie excitedly. She bore a cutie mark of a crescent moon with a semiquaver it. "I'm such a huge fan!" She was practically bouncing in excitement, her turquoise eyes gleaming in adoration at the sight of the amazing Trixie.

"Trixie is pleased that you enjoyed the show. It means a lot to her that somepony could be such a large fan." Trixie tossed her head back, flipping her majestic mane. Clad in her trademark cape and hat, Trixie struck an impressive figure. It was no wonder that fans would go weak-kneed at the sight of-


"Uh, Trixie? Did anything happen in this story, or are you just going to talk about how awesome you were?" Spike interjected, breaking Trixie's self-absorbed rant.

"Ahem." Trixie cleared her throat with a light rosiness in her cheeks. "Trixie could probably cut out some of the details centered on her appearance."


A short while later, Trixie and this new mare had struck up a conversation with the mare over drinks. Songbird was her name. They'd stopped at a place called the Tide and Bridle. It offered a lovely view of the bay, and smelled of strong cider and aged wood. The dimly lit tavern was a good place to just blend in for an evening.

"I can't believe I'm hanging out with a famous mare like you, Trixie!" The bubbly Song giggled. "I'm super lucky!"

"Yes, well there are times when Trixie enjoys the company of fans." Trixie replied casually. She took a sip from her drink. "So what do you do around here, Songbird?"

"I'm a singer for a lounge, actually. I'm trying to make it big, but it's super hard to get noticed in a place like Vanhoover." Songbird stared into her drink with an embarrassed smile. "I'm kinda jealous of you, actually."

"Well, Trixie is known across Equestria. She could see why one would be jealous." Trixie stated modestly as she took another drink.


"Wow, Trixie. Really modest there." Spike rolled his eyes.

"Hush. Trixie is about to get to the good part."


Trixie and Songbird talked for quite a long time. Not about anything in particular. They swapped stories about all sorts of things; performances, fans, idols. Eventually the crowd in the tavern dwindled as they talked into the dark hours of the night.

"Let me get you another cider, Trixie." Songbird offered.

"Trixie really shouldn't..." The showmare hesitated.

"Aw, just one more?" Songbird pouted ador- adamantly.

"Well, Trixie supposes that there couldn't be any harm in one more." Trixie gave in.

Songbird slipped over to the tavern keeper for a moment before returning to the booth she shared with Trixie. She slid a fresh cider to Trixie and raised her own with a hoof. "Cheers!"

Trixie levitated her cider and clinked it against the one Songbird held. She took a deep drink, polishing off half the drink before placing it back on the table. Songbird only took a dainty sip before setting her drink down. Trixie immediately felt the effects of something. The room spun, and Trixie found herself on the floor as Songbird stepped over.

"Uh-oh. Looks like somepony's had a bit too much. Here, let me take you out of here." Songbird's words seemed so far away. Maybe it was the sudden dizziness, but she seemed to have lost the bubbly quality to her voice.

~~~

Trixie awoke in a cage. Songbird was on the outside of the iron cell, smiling giddily.

"You're awake! Goody!" The earth pony was positively glowing with excitement. "I'm so glad you decided to come home with me! Now we can be best friends forever!"

"I... What?" Trixie responded in confusion. "Where have you taken Trixie?"

"Oh, you're in my home. After you passed out, I decided to take you here. I've never had a celebrity friend before." This situation had officially gone from pleasant to ultra-creepy in entirely too short a time. Trixie glowered at the mare.

"Release the Great and Powerful Trixie this instant!"

"Oh, no." Songbird giggled. "If I did that, then how could we stay friends?" Songbird trotted over a set of stairs leading upwards. "You just make yourself comfortable. I'll see you in the morning, with potatoes and eggs. Doesn't that sound scrumptious?" She didn't wait for Trixie's response before trotting away and leaving Trixie alone in a dimly lit basement.

Trixie, however, had one benefit that Songbird didn't seem to factor in. Trixie was a unicorn. And Songbird left the keys to the cage hanging on a peg on the far side of the wall. Trixie waited for some time, until she could no longer hear sounds coming from upstairs. Then she waited a bit longer before finally floating the keys over and releasing herself from the cage. She went straight to the authorities and reported Songbird. Less than an hour later, Songbird was in custody and Trixie was leaving Vanhoover for a very long time.


Spike looked absolutely terrified, having pulled his knees tightly into his chest. "How was that one of your favorite memories of traveling Equestria?!"

"It was a situation that could have ended poorly, but thanks to Trixie had a happy outcome." Trixie replied coolly.

"Sounds more like you were lucky you were a unicorn." Spike nibbled nervously on a claw.

"Merely semantics, Spike." Trixie rolled her eyes. "You should get some sleep. We have a long way to go before our next destination." The mare draped her cape over herself like a blanket and lay down.

"I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight." Spike replied. Winona snuggled up to the poor dragon in an attempt to calm him.

Spike didn't sleep that night.