• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 951 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 951

10. Tourist Trek

Spike and Winona had found a cozy little bed and breakfast run by a sweet elderly couple, the Cozy's. Spike had no money on him, however. Luckily, Tea and Warm had agreed to allow Spike to stay if he promised to help out a bit with the chores. (Warm was getting on in years, and there were just certain things he couldn't do.) They had even promised Spike a few extra bits so that he wouldn't have to work every time he needed a place to sleep.

Which is how Spike ended up in the kitchen scrubbing dishes for most of the morning. It wasn't too bad. There weren't many guests at the Fireside Lodge. Still, by the time Spike had finished the dishes, his claws were all wrinkly. He dried them with a towel, and quickly scampered out the door.

"Have fun, Spike!" Tea called out to the dragon before he disappeared.

"I will!" Spike called back to the stallion. "Come on, Winona!" The dog barked and ran after Spike.

~~~

Spike spent his day sightseeing. Not doing anything in particular, just trying to absorb as much as he could.

The first thing he stopped to watch was the famous Las Pegasus Fountains. Brilliant liquid rainbow shot high into the air in one of the most unique displays Spike had ever seen. The fountain was a dual-level construct with a stone fountain on the bottom that shot the rainbow liquid (how it didn't blend into a muddy brown was beyond Spike) to the second level, A cloud layer with more fountainy bits to shoot the rainbows higher into the air. The cloud layer held a magical enchantment that caused it to shift about every few hours, changing the patterns it created with the slightly glowing liquid it displayed.

Next, Spike went to see the miniature version of the Statue of Friendship. It was a near identical match for the one he'd seen in Manehattan on the other side of Equestria, albeit only about half the size. This too showed off the blend of earth pony and pegasus architectures, with the statue floating on a cloud anchored to the ground.

Spike's third, and favorite, destination was the High Flyer. A gigantic ferris wheel that held miniature cabins, complete with complementary juice bar. (The snooty ponies running the ride called it an 'observation wheel' when Spike bought the ticket, correcting him in a manner only a city pony could.) The ride took about a half-hour to complete, with the cabins offering spectacular views of both the ground of Las Pegasus and the cloud layer, which it broke through for about ten minutes in the middle of the ride. Spike spent the entire ride glued to the window, while Winona (who was surprisingly allowed to ride for free) hid under one of the seats whimpering.

~~~

Spike flopped down on the bed in his tiny room back at the Bed and Breakfast, exhausted after his day of seeing the city sights. He didn't think it was possible, but seeing the city had been more exhausting than his walk to Las Pegasus. Still, it was a good kind of tired.

"Oh! Almost forgot!" Spike retrieved a pad of paper and a quill (complementary to all rooms) and scratched out a letter to his friends. He told them all about the Half-shoe Inn, his travels through Whitetail Woods, and his day in Las Pegasus. He left out the scary parts though. He didn't want Twilight to worry and come to take him home.

After deciding he was satisfied, Spike breathed out an emerald flame, sending the letter on it's merry way. Then he curled up on his bed next to Winona and fell fast asleep, dreaming of the adventures tomorrow would have in store.

Author's Note:

Current Location: Fireside B&B, Las Pegasus