• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,734

PreviousChapters Next
21 - Discovery, Part 1 of 7

A mix of high emotions ran through Cloud Blazer as Scootaloo pushed him back to the hospital. He was elated for Applejack’s victory; there was also a gloriously nervous exhilaration that came from he and Scootaloo being basically alone. Despite his injuries, for the moment he felt indestructible. The immobilizing magic that Sweetie Belle had used was beginning to wane, a fact revealed by the aches that were slowly returning to strength. The stallion didn’t mind them so much. The further they traveled from the town square, the thinner the crowd became as ponies went their separate ways. Most had gone toward Sweet Apple Acres. The closer they drew to the hospital, the shorter his time became. This was his moment. Cloud Blazer was going to tell Scootaloo everything. His heart was beating like a marching drum, the rhythm overwhelming everything else.

Their destination was dark from the outside, but as soon as they passed through the doors, they were bathed in sterile white light. The waiting room was empty, but for a nurse at her station. She looked up as Scootaloo found the appropriate form and signed Cloud Blazer back in.

“How’d the election go?” the nurse asked.

Scootaloo and Cloud Blazer grinned wide as she replied, “We have a new mayor.”

The nurse nodded, not seeming all that interested, “No surprise there. Diamond Tiara gets a lot done, but she makes enemies.”

She rose from her seat.

“I’ll take him to his room,” Scootaloo volunteered.

The nurse smiled as she sat back down. The pair of friends continued into the hallway. Each passing step that Scootaloo pushed the wheelchair made Cloud Blazer’s level of anxiety shoot higher like a rocket. He was beginning to find fear something to contend with. His throat was so dry, and he was beginning to think he shouldn’t say anything to her. As his room came into sight, the stallion took a deep breath to steel his resolve. No excuses, no more delays.

They silently entered the darkness that was his room, the rubberized wheels of his chair making a light squeaking sound on the smooth tile floor. They got to the bed, and then Scootaloo came around the front as Cloud Blazer locked the brakes. He reached out, and she embraced the stallion, gently lifting. She moved slowly, getting him up onto the bed. Stinging came from his various injuries with every motion; he hardly noticed. Just being that close to her was intoxicating. She smelled good. Once he was more or less in position, she pulled the sheets up so he could reach them.

“Quite a night,” she whispered as she completed her tasks.

“Yeah,” he whispered back.

His roommate was sleeping soundly, and it would have been rude to wake her. The drum in Cloud Blazer’s chest beat more and more violently than before. It felt more like a blasting range filled with cannons that fired in sequence.

“Well, goodnight,” she said as she turned to leave.

The moment was slipping away. It was now or never.

“Scootaloo,” he said.

Fear filled him as she turned. Her smile melted his qualms and warmed the thumping in his chest.

“I love you.”

She stood there in silence. The darkness made her warm expression almost difficult to read, but he could see her smile.

“I have for a while,” he continued as a hammer pounded an anvil in his heart. “I mean, I didn’t know what it was at first. But I’ve had time to think about it, especially lately. That’s when I sorted it out. Joining the EUP, being the last one out when we were in Everfree... I did all of that for you, to keep you safe. I’m pretty messed up, but I don’t mind that so much. I just want to be with you, forever. More than anything in the world, I love you.”

She stood like a statue, her gaze locked with his as he awaited her reply.

She spoke, “I don’t want to hear that.”

Her words were like a dagger through his heart. All of the life and warmth was sucked from the room. Overwhelming fear filled Cloud Blazer. She remained where she stood, but the stallion now realized that her expression was actually impossible to read in the darkness.

“I mean, I’m... flattered, but no.”

Cloud Blazer’s hooves were shaking. He felt like he was falling into a deep abyss as tears welled up in his eyes and streamed down his cheeks. He thought he should say something, but any words he would have used were caught in his throat. He couldn’t swallow for the lump that had formed there.

“I... I’m just not interested in you that way... Sorry...”

She abruptly turned and walked out of the room, leaving Cloud Blazer alone. The shaking sent shards of stabbing pain throughout his body. He wept bitterly, doing everything he could to remain quiet, though he was nearly beyond caring. His heart was melting as the last fortress in which he’d placed his hope had been ripped away.

PreviousChapters Next