• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,734

PreviousChapters Next
20 - Revolution, Part 3 of 10

Sparklefly was leaving the officer's mess after her lunch ration. She turned to look at the mountain peak where Drill Sergeant J had taken Scootaloo's squad, unconsciously rubbing her eye patch for a moment. She had intentionally been ignoring Duster, but she hadn't missed the way that he'd looked at her, especially that first day. She imagined she was quite a sight with her bandaged wings and eye patch. Ultimately, the mare knew that she would have to learn how to interact with her brother in the new setting in which they found themselves. Even though her role in the instruction was fairly small, it was a strange feeling to be training her own cadet platoon.

"That's a lot farther away than it looks," Scootaloo interrupted her thoughts from behind.

Sparklefly turned to face the sergeant as a gentle warm breeze tickled her mane, "Oh?"

"Nothing I couldn't handle," she added with an assurance or pride. "These cadets are pretty wimpy.”

Sparklefly nodded, speaking thoughtfully, "I can't even remember if we were as useless our first week.”

"You might have been," Scootaloo teased.

Grinning, Sparklefly replied, "Maybe, but you never were able to outfly me."

"I don't know what you're talking about," came a haughty answer.

They both snorted a giggle. The shield rematerialized around the training grounds with its energetic hum and eerie purple light. It effectively killed the wind.

"For what it's worth, your brother's not the most useless one," Scootaloo said.

All silliness evaporated from Sparklefly. Her feelings on this matter were ambivalent. She did not want Duster here to train or in the EUP at all, but at the same time, he was here; she wanted to make absolutely certain that he would be the best soldier he could be. She was compelled to ensure that he had the best chance to survive. She pawed at the earth with her hoof.

"Are you okay?" Scootaloo asked.

Sparklefly didn't answer, but stared at the ground for a moment, sorting out her feelings. She finally looked back up and said, "I'm fine. I was able to get us leave for the evening, after our last ration. I was instructed to keep you out of trouble.”

Scootaloo snorted and said, "That figures."

"We'll stop by the hospital first and see if Cloud Blazer wants to go to the debate. I've already made the arrangements, but make sure you let your squad know that you'll be gone."

The sergeant nodded. They stood silently for a moment, then Scootaloo said, "I know you better than that; you're not fine. You've been a little off since the recruits arrived."

Sparklefly stared blankly at her friend. She didn’t want to talk about her brother until she made peace with it in her own mind. There was a determination or resolve in those purple eyes that looked back at her.

Scootaloo continued, "I understand that you have a certain image to project, being in command of a platoon and all, but if you ever need to talk, you know, off the record..."

Sparklefly nodded slowly. Her feelings were still rather wound up; she wanted to fly away, high and fast, but her wings were still bandaged for at least a week. Then again, the doctors and medics had all been telling her, “it will be about a week,” ever since she’d been hurt.

"Thank you," Sparklefly finally replied. "The same goes for you."

Scootaloo smiled.

"Go see to your squad. I'll meet up with you at the hospital later. Until then, see you in drills, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am!" Scootaloo said sharply with a salute.

Sparklefly snorted at her and returned the gesture. They parted ways for the moment. On her way to the quartermaster, Sparklefly came across the donkey drill sergeant.

"Good afternoon, Drill Sergeant J," she addressed him.

The donkey changed course, walking straight to her and snapped to attention with a stiff salute. "Sir!”

"At ease, drill sergeant," she said, still a little surprised at how formal he was at all times.

When he moved into the "at ease" position, it somehow looked almost as starched as he was when at attention. He stared ahead, almost past her.

"What is your estimation of the cadets?" she asked him. She couldn’t help but feeling she had created an awkward moment. If she had, the drill sergeant showed no sign of feeling it.

"I will make them soldiers, sir!" he replied sharply.

"Of that I have no doubt. Do you know one called Duster from Apple Loosa?"

"Yes, sir!"

"How do you assess him?"

"Permission to speak freely, sir?" he asked.

"Go ahead," Sparklefly replied.

"Some ponies should not volunteer to be soldiers, sir."

Her heart sank a little and she nodded, considering his words, "That may be. Make certain that he receives the best instruction you can give."

"No compromise on that for any cadet, sir!"

She was satisfied with his answer; it actually made her feel somewhat better.

"Will that be all, sir?" Drill Sergeant J asked.

"Dismissed," she said.

She returned his salute and continued on her way. The quartermaster's tent was buzzing with excitement when she arrived. A new batch of post had finally come through, and there was a crowd several dozen thick trying to see if they had any news from home. It took a little while to work her way through, but it lifted her spirits to hear that she had a letter. She retrieved it and went outside. Getting a little distance from the tent, she sat down and opened her mail in the few minutes that remained before training would resume. The outside of the brown parchment had the return address for Baltimare, which is where her family had fled after they’d left Apple Loosa.

She read, 'Dear Sparklefly, The last three of your letters came at once. We've been hearing all sorts of horrible rumors, many of which are completely outlandish. However, we thought the same of the reports of Canterlot falling when we were first told. The common stories now are that Las Pegasus has been destroyed and Manehattan was infiltrated by changelings, but I try not to put much stock in such things; we are glad to hear that you are well. I hope this reaches you soon. Your brother, Duster, is shipping out in two days to join the EUP. We're all very proud of both of you. Food has become even more scarce in the city, but we have heard there is a supply coming in from the griffins. Another rumor, but if it’s true, the shipment should arrive in port within a week. We've been saving as much of the money you've sent as we can for this sort of occasion. We had to spend some for medicine. Thunderfly's fever is worse now, and I'm afraid that Shimmerpuff may have caught it as well. But the medicine is helping, and if the illness is the same fever that hit our neighbors, it should break soon. It has been a very widespread infection in our part of Baltimare. There has even been some talk of quarantining the city, but I don't think that is likely. The EUP is still actively recruiting here. Duster requested Ponyville for his assignment because he knew you were there. If you see him, he can tell you more about all of this. They are starting a new farming program outside the city now, but I've not been able to get any work there yet. I gave them my name, and they know I come from a farming family, but I've been so busy taking care of the little ones that I just haven't been able to get out to work. Glitterdust will go tomorrow to see if she can work in the new fields, but you know how she is. She didn't take to keeping the orchard back home the way that you and Duster had. Braeburn's cousins, the Apples that you mentioned before, sound like a really great family. If they are as knowledgeable as Braeburn, I'd imagine Sweet Apple Acres is quite a place. Maybe we'll all get to come and see it after the war is over. I hope to hear from you again soon; we are all eager for any news, and it always sets my heart at ease to see a letter from you. Know that wherever you go, the love of your family is still with you. Missing you, Mamma Mare.'

Sparklefly pulled the paper close, cherishing the moment. ’After the war is over...' what a wonderful thought. Sparklefly hadn't considered the possibility the war ever ending since the siege of Ponyville. She'd been so focused on the problems at hoof, she had almost forgotten that such an achievement could be realized. She carefully folded the letter, her emotions rolling through a wide range. There was a depth of sadness that had been with her since her father had been killed, but her heart was warm and feeling well loved as it usually was after receiving a letter from home. Then there was the anger at Duster for enlisting. Sparklefly wondered whether the money she’d been sending home was enough. If food and work were as scarce in Baltimare as Ponyville, a single soldier's salary probably wouldn't be enough to support an unemployed family of five. Still, if Duster and Sparklefly were sending money, and Glitterdust was able to get that job on the Baltimare farming program, they just might be okay. Sparklefly felt somewhat inadequate at that moment. All of her efforts to support and help her family were not enough. She gently placed the letter in her pocket. She would have to deposit it in her hoof-locker later. In any case, it was time to get back to drills; she took a breath and started walking.

PreviousChapters Next