• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,733 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,733

PreviousChapters Next
32 - Glory, Part 4 of 6

Cloud Blazer watched as Pixyglitter secured her harness and then took it off. She laid it out, then put it back on and fastened everything up again. In this manner half of the afternoon melted away by the pond. It may have been boring, but it didn’t strain his injuries, making it a pleasant way to spend a day.

"I've definitely got it now," Pixyglitter said.

"I'll say you have," Sweetie Belle agreed. "You haven't asked for help in over an hour, even with it tangled up.”

Cloud Blazer was sure he saw a grin flash across Pixyglitter's face for a moment.

"Do we fly now?" she asked.

"The sun is getting low; we're going to have to head back soon," he replied thoughtfully. "But I think we have time for at least one attempt."

“Life jackets?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Yeah, I think we'd better.”

Suiting up in the harnesses and lifejackets was stiflingly bulky and uncomfortable, but it seemed a sensible precaution in the event of a water landing. Cloud Blazer made a final check over both harnesses, but Pixyglitter hadn't missed anything. It was rather impressive that she had been able to figure it out to that degree of efficiency so quickly.

"Outstanding," he said to her. "One final thought. Once we get over the water, let's just stay there and land in it when we come down. I think that'll be safest for our first try."

"Okay," Pixyglitter replied.

She was standing up straight and tall, as if trying to exude confidence. Cloud Blazer suspected that she was at least as nervous as he was. She locked her ventral tether to his dorsal latch, clasping the harnesses together. Cloud Blazer kept his quick-release at the ready. They walked to the edge of the pond, which as a bit of an awkward shuffle between the short length of the line and their disabilities.

"Are you ready?" Pixyglitter asked.

"Yes.”

Hearts raced as Pixyglitter began flapping her wings, and in moments she had lifted off the ground. Cloud Blazer felt a tug on the harness, amplifying the pain that he felt from his healing injuries. Then the ground dropped away beneath him.

"Okay, that's fine. Move forward, nice and easy," he said with a shaky voice.

Pixyglitter began moving over the pond, and the moment became almost like a magical experience. Cloud Blazer felt the air being beaten by her wings, and he saw the pond gliding gently below him. It was much like scratching an itch that hadn’t been reachable for many months. Elation flooded through his chest and how to his hooves, making him shiver with giddy delight. However, the moment passed only seconds later.

Cloud Blazer's hooves hit the water as they lost altitude, the drag from which pulled them both face first into the pond. He was just opening his mouth to tell her to pull up, but instead of speaking, he got a mouth and nose full of water. It choked him and bubbles shot past his face as he struggled to get his head above water. Cloud Blazer's lungs burned, and a sharp pain shot through his right side as Pixyglitter kicked him on the flank.

The stallion pulled hard on the quick-release, freeing himself. He managed to spin about, but had somehow become stuck underneath her. His eyes were opened for a moment before the water stung them shut, and he saw her silhouette with bright sunlight streaming through. He pushed against her and then paddled with his hooves hard. Within another moment that seemed an eternity, he surfaced. Fresh air was sweet, but it caused a coughing and sputtering that lasted for a minute or so. The sound of laughter rang in Cloud Blazer's ears from the shore.

"Are you guys okay?" Sweetie Belle asked as their coughing subsided. "I'm sorry I laughed, but-" she was interrupted by another guffaw.

Cloud Blazer cleared his eyes and looked at Pixyglitter. She was nearly facing him, as soaked as he was. When his eyes met the expression on her face, he began an infectious laughter that she shared as well. Her mane was standing almost straight up.

"Hey!" Sweetie Belle called from the shore, "Cloud Blazer! I think you guys should practice some flying before working on the landing anymore. You've got it down!"

"Anything broken?" he asked Pixyglitter when they’d recovered from their jovial fit.

She shook her head, turning to face him when he spoke, "You?"

"No," he replied, but his back did hurt where she'd kicked him.

Pixyglitter's mouth turned upward in an almost fiendish grin.

"I think your friend needs a hug," she whispered to Cloud Blazer.

"I couldn't agree more," he returned a smile that he knew she couldn't see. "This way," he added as he began paddling to shore.

"I know," she replied. "She's making plenty of noise."

It didn't take them long to get back onto dry ground. Sweetie Belle had fallen to the earth, still laughing. She didn't see it coming until they were on her.

"We're so glad you're here to help!" Cloud Blazer said as he practically jumped on her.

Sweetie Belle shrieked and tried to crawl away, but Pixyglitter found a hoof and then grabbed her up. The pair smothered her until the three were equally well soaked. Satisfied at their result, Cloud Blazer and Pixyglitter let Sweetie Belle up, and the three laughed about it as the afternoon wore away.

This worked another kind of magic. Cloud Blazer had never seen Pixyglitter laugh before, at least not so purely. It was another sign to him that her soul was mending, that perhaps she would be okay in time. He'd been wrong before. This was the perfect way to spend an afternoon.

PreviousChapters Next