• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,734

PreviousChapters Next
33 - Darkness, Part 6 of 6

Cloud Blazer never got tired of coming over the hill and seeing Sweet Apple Acres. Sweetie Belle walked alongside him, pushing the empty wheelchair. He'd been needing it less and less, but she insisted on bringing it anytime she walked with him. Though the pain still bit and clawed at him from many of his injuries, he refused to be confined to that chair. The doctor told him that this was acceptable, so long as he didn't push himself too far. His one leg was still in a cast, which made walking that much more difficult, but at least he could put weight on it and get where he was going.

"There's another one!" Sweetie Belle said, pointing into the sky.

Cloud Blazer looked up, blinding himself for a moment as his gaze crossed the sun. He blinked and found what she was pointing toward. It was another squadron of pegasi, this time they were heading north. There had been all sorts of crazy rumors floating through town, as there typically were on the heels of big news. The increased activity in the skies made them even more wild than usual. As soon as word spread of the capture of Canterlot, buzz began about Queen Chrysalis being either captured or killed in the battle. The most consistent rumor that he'd heard was that changelings had attempted to infiltrate EUP forces during the battle. The official answer to all of it was still, 'no comment.' He wondered if Scootaloo had flown over Ponyville today. That wound was still perhaps the most painful of all. As they arrived on the farm, the first pony they came across was Glitterdust.

"Hi," Sweetie Belle greeted her. "Have you seen Apple Bloom?"

Glitterdust looked up from her work. She was silent for a moment, and Cloud Blazer thought she looked either bored or upset.

"I think she's in the barn," she replied.

She went back to work, ignoring the pair as they continued on the dirt path that led to their destination. It was a hot afternoon; a nap would be wonderful if his mind weren't so active. Even though he didn't do the majority of the work, flying with Pixyglitter took its toll on Cloud Blazer as well. As the barn came into view, Apple Bloom was walking out of it.

"Howdy!" she greeted them.

"Hey, Apple Bloom," Sweetie Belle answered.

"What's goin' on?" she asked.

"Not much," Cloud Blazer answered. I'm done practicing flying for the day, and thought I should practice walking. So we came to pay you a visit."

"Well, I'm heading to the south field. Y'all are welcome to come with me."

While turning to follow, Cloud Blazer's gaze caught a crescent moon that would be setting ahead of sunset. He walked behind the other two, but the sight of the moon made him think about those strange dreams again. They had seemed so vivid at first, but as dreams tend to, they had all but faded away. The only thing left behind was the sense that some urgency or some message was trying to get through, a message he never had understood. Pixyglitter still didn't talk about it; he decided it would be best to put it out of his mind for now.

"I heard they're increasing rations tomorrow," Sweetie Belle said hopefully.

Apple Bloom grinned, "Now even if I knew anything about that, I couldn't say."

"Oh, come on! You can tell us!"

"Nothin' doin' Sweetie Belle," Apple Bloom said, a bit glibly.

Cloud Blazer decided to play this game, "That's not what you told me when I asked you yesterday." He hadn't actually seen her the day before, but if she were just teasing Sweetie Belle, then she'd play along.

"Now, I told you not to mention that to anypony!"

Sweetie Belle gasped.

“Well, I thought you’d have told her by now!”

Their unicorn friend pouted from the betrayal.

"Come on; you know better than that! We're pullin' your leg, Sweetie Belle!“ Apple Bloom grinned again.

She scoffed at them, “You guys!”

Cloud Blazer chuckled, but tried to hold his laughter in so it didn’t aggrivate his injuries.

“I heard you’re getting out of the hospital soon,” Apple Bloom said nonchalantly.

“Oh, yeah,” Cloud Blazer answered. “The threat of death from my injuries is apparently pretty low now. Anyway, they seem to think they need the bed for others.”

“You’ll stay with us,” the farm-pony declared.

He decided to tease, “Oh, well, you know. I would, but I have to check with all of my other special someponies first. I have to make sure I don’t have any better offers.”

Sweetie Belle laughed; it was somewhat of a mocking chortle in which no derision was intended.

Apple Bloom snorted at him, “Whatever, I’d have a better chance at getting a special somepony than you any day. Besides, I wouldn’t date you if you were the last stallion in Ponyville.”

He gasped as if he were offended, but it was refreshing to jest, “What about if I were the last one in Equestria.”

“Hmm, well, I guess I wouldn’t have much choice. We can’t let all the ponies die out if we’re the last two,” she feigned thought on the possibility and added, “Now that we’ve figured out my personal worst nightmare... back to important stuff.”

He admired Apple Bloom’s skill at the playful banter. He allowed himself to giggle with Sweetie Belle.

Apple Bloom continued, “You can stay in Big McIntosh’s room. I already talked to him and Applejack about it. Pixyglitter can come too; we can take one more in my room.”

The stallion felt warm inside at the offer, “Thank you. It really means a lot to me.”

“We knew it would,” Sweetie Belle interrupted, “That’s why I told her to do it. Then you’d owe her one.”

“Sweetie Belle! That was just between us to know and for him to not think about!”

Cloud Blazer smiled at the levity.

It was a good visit, but in the back of his mind, Cloud Blazer couldn't stop thinking about the dreams that he had shared with Pixyglitter. Something about it was still bothering him, even though it had been months since they'd had any of those occurrences. On the return journey to the hospital, an eerie feeling came over Cloud Blazer. He couldn't put his hoof on it, but something was wrong.

"Wow," Sweetie Belle said.

He didn't have to look up, he knew what she had seen. Hundreds of pegasi were flying overhead even still. Most were now heading north, toward either Cloudsdale or Canterlot. He didn't know what all the movement meant, but he knew it couldn't be anything good.

PreviousChapters Next