• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,738 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,738

PreviousChapters Next
30 - Symbiosis, Part 8 of 10

‘Dear Private R, I take from the tone of your last letter that you are not even half the mature adult that I had thought you were. First of all a marriage proposal is not the sort of thing one should send in a letter. Second, it is not something to take lightly and about which to make jokes. While I might be prepared to consider and discuss in earnest such things, you clearly are not. Third, I have already told you that our stations would prohibit such talk. I could send you the regulation if you need to see it. I would appreciate it if you won’t be so thoughtless in the future. I grew up in Apple Loosa, and I was there when the timberwolves first came. Farming is my first love, specifically cloud irrigation. I grew up with it, and my parents taught me everything they knew. They also instilled in me my habit of reading. My father had been a guard in Canterlot, and he would say that a spear is only as sharp as the mind that wields it. I have two brothers and two sisters. You know Duster, but the rest moved to Ponyville just recently. I haven’t told them about you yet, and I’m not sure if I’ll need to. I suppose that will depend on you. One hint, I don’t want to discuss our future again for at least a year after the war. Sparklefly.’

...

Beigh knew he'd made a mistake, but he wasn't sure how to fix it. Sparklefly was angry, judging by the tone of the letter he had received, and he knew why. He felt like an idiot for the glib manner in which he’d written to her. She liked him, that much was obvious, but he had boldly assumed a future that needed yet to be built. He sighed, lamenting his own stupidity.

All the wishing in the world wouldn’t be able to take back a word, written or spoken. She had finished the letter without demanding an apology, but she had made it crystal clear that she didn't want to discuss their future until after the war. Beigh sighed again and stuffed the letter into his pocket, his pride bearing the brunt of the injury.

"What's wrong," Duster's voice came from behind him.

"Oh, nothing," Beigh lied as Duster sat down. They were in the mess hall, but appetite had evaporated after the letter from Sparklefly.

"You got bad news?" Duster pressed.

Considering his response, Beigh wasn't sure how to proceed. He really should have told Duster long ago how things were developing between himself and Sparklefly, but he just didn't know how to do it. So much time had now passed that it was sure to be worse. It was almost like an out-of-body experience as Beigh took the crumpled letter from his pocket and gave it to Duster. A twinge of fear ran up his spine as his friend began reading it.

“Private R?”

“I’ll explain later,” Beigh said as his companion’s eyes began scanning further into the juicy personal correspondence.

”Mare trouble," Duster smirked, "I'd have guessed as much."

He continued reading, looking somewhat amused. This expression continued until he evidently reached the middle. Shock took over as his eyes raced to the signature on the bottom. Then it became anger.

"What's wrong with you? Is this a prank?" Duster said hotly as he threw the letter at Beigh and shoved him.

The force wasn’t enough to throw him from the bench, and apologies began as he recovered his seat, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry; I should have told you, I'm sorry."

“I’m sorry? I don't think 'I'm sorry' quite covers this," Duster shot back. "How would you feel if a friend of yours was writing love letters to your sister and didn't tell you!"

"I'm an only child," the words escaped before thought could caution otherwise.

Duster slugged his shoulder, "You're also an idiot!”

Beigh felt completely defeated now. He hung his head in shame, but was surprised to feel Duster's fore-leg thrown around him in an embrace.

"You definitely should have told me," the friend said in an almost cheery tone, "but on the other hoof, I know you’ll treat Sissy well.”

Beigh looked up at Duster, now hopeful.

"Besides, if you don’t, I'll kill you," Duster said flatly, making it impossible to tell if he were joking.

Beigh let out a nervous laugh as Duster pulled away and began eating his oats and hay.

...

It was all Duster could do to keep from laughing at the look on Beigh’s face. He certainly deserved any amount of teasing that could be mustered. Duster was indeed a little angry about the situation, but he felt confident that he’d be able get back at Beigh at least twice over for the insult. Plus, he’d likely be able to give Sissy quite a ribbing about it as well. It would be worth it.

Nonchalantly looking away, Duster noticed Lieutenant LD sitting nearby. He seemed lost in thought.

“LT,” Duster said in greeting. After a complete lack of response, he added, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine," LD offered a halfhearted reply. "Would you excuse me," he said in the same vacant tone before rising from his seat and walking away.

"What was that about?" Beigh asked.

“No idea,” Duster said. He then noticed the untouched tray of rations that LD had left behind. "You're in his platoon aren’t you?"

“Yes, but I hadn’t noticed anything strange with him before,” Beigh shrugged.

Disbelief quickly became concern. Something was definitely wrong with the lieutenant, but it was anypony's guess as to exactly what.

...

‘Captain Sparklefly, I received your last letter, and truly I can’t blame you for your reaction. I’m afraid I was so overjoyed at your response that I let my heart get the better of me. I can’t take my foolish words back, but I will offer my apology in hopes that we can put it behind us. It won’t happen again. As I shall be choosing my words much more carefully going forward, what would you like to talk about? Hoping this finds you well, R.’

...

‘R, Thank you for your response. Apology accepted; we don’t need to speak of it again. I can only imagine what it must have been like to grow up in Manehattan. I’ve never been to a city quite so grand, though it would have to be quite a sight to be more impressive than Cloudsdale. I suspect I’m somewhat predisposed to be in awe of a cloud city, but I’d like to test that someday. Maybe when we have a chance, you can show me around all the best places of the big city. As I mentioned before, I grew up on farms. My dad had been injured before I was born, and he took up farming after getting discharged from the Canterlot Guard. He had grown up in an irrigation family, so that’s what he went back to. It was supposed to be temporary, but then he met my mom and their relationship grew. He continued with weather minding until I came. The way they told the story, it was when he first looked into my eyes, he was filled with such joy that he knew the simpler life would be enough. We ended up moving a lot because he became a kind of efficiency consultant, going from one community to the next to help improve their weather and cloud irrigation. When Apple Loosa was founded, and had no pegasi, we moved down to be a permanent aid to them. My parents thought it would be best for us to be able to keep some friends for a change. The south is a hot and dusty place, but it felt like home to me. You get a bright sunrise and a stunning sunset almost every day, as if the sky were set aflame. What was it like in the city? Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Sparklefly.’

PreviousChapters Next