• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,737 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,737

PreviousChapters Next
25 - Preparations, Part 3 of 4

Duster still wasn't accustomed to seeing Sissy with an eye patch. It would occasionally catch his attention during their drills. Today was all about marching in formation. This seemed a rather pointless exercise, given that he would probably be flying more than anything else after basic training. Still, it was nice to not be in the air for a change.

Duster was still sore from the last payload flight training. Drill Sergeant J seemed to have reduced his interest in their squad for the past few days, but Duster wasn't holding his breath. He knew somepony would screw up and bring him back sooner or later. Doff's passing was likely the reason they were being left alone, but surely that wouldn't hold for long. Duster, for one, would much rather have kept Doff, even if that meant the donkey’s ire would still fall their way.

After some distance marching, they went into repeatedly changing their formation between marching columns and firing lines. When they would change from one to the other, Duster could always see Sissy snapping into her position with extreme precision. Be it from sibling rivalry or some other cause, Duster mainly felt contempt for her. Doff was under her command, and she didn't even care that he was dead. Every step, Duster hardened his determination that he would surpass her. He would learn to out-march, outfly, and outfight Sissy. He could be better than her; he would be in every way.

Duster felt a daydream coming on, but he crushed it before it took over his mind. He sharpened his focus and redoubled his efforts as they continued moving rapidly into their different formations. His own drives aside, Locknload wouldn't put up with any mistakes; he and Drill Sergeant J had that in common, and Duster didn’t want either of them yelling at him, not again.

...

Cloud Blazer lay in his hospital bed staring out the window. Sweetie Belle had fallen asleep in a nearby chair. He envied her ability to do something so simple. He didn't remember how many days it had been since that dream, or if he had slept since then. The nights were now long and dreamless, and the constant pain from his injuries gnawed at him.

He still hadn't heard anything from Pixyglitter, which was frustrating. One of the nurses had confirmed what he’d suspected: she'd asked to be moved to another room and never said a word to him about it. Things certainly seemed to be getting worse at every turn. He was crippled, rejected by Scootaloo, and in spite of discovering something really important, he was abandoned by the only other pony that understood.

As he thought about this, Cloud Blazer decided that he was tired of laying down and feeling helpless. Something akin to anger began to fuel him, and he carefully climbed out of bed. Dull pain was coursing through his body, especially from his back right leg. Even keeping weight off of it, just standing upright made it throb uncomfortably.

Gritting his teeth, Cloud Blazer slowly walked to the door and left the room. He'd been doing this in physical therapy enough that he knew he could make it, though it was most unpleasant. Slowly, Cloud Blazer worked his way down the corridor. Each step made the pain pulse through him, but he kept going.

A nurse walked past him from behind. He was only slightly startled when he saw her, but she didn't pay him any attention. It only took him a few minutes to make his way to Pixyglitter's new room, but it seemed like a half hour because of the effort involved. He waited a moment outside the door to catch his breath. Cloud Blazer was sweating and aching all over. As quietly as he could, he opened the door and walked slowly in. Pixyglitter was sitting up in her bed, facing the door.

"Who's there?" she asked.

Cloud Blazer quietly shut the door and moved toward the nearest chair.

"I know you're not a doctor or a nurse. Is that you, Cloud Blazer?" her voice quivered.

"Yes, it's me.”

"I don't want to talk to you right now," she said coldly as she turned away.

"None of us get what we want lately," he answered, matching her tone.

"Why are you here?" she challenged, turning back to face him.

The bandages on her eyes looked wet, but not from blood. She'd either been sweating or crying.

"I need to talk to you. That dream we had-"

"No," she interrupted. "I definitely am not talking about that."

"We need to. I've been trying to figure these dreams out for over a month, and ever since that one, I can't sleep at all. I can't dream anymore."

"I don't care. Go away," Pixyglitter’s voice seethed with anger.

Cloud Blazer felt deeply cut. Tears welled up in his eyes, the sting of her words hurting more than his healing injuries. Without another attempt to speak, he turned and slowly walked out of the room to return to his hospital bed. He felt like he was melting inside.

PreviousChapters Next