• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,738 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,738

PreviousChapters Next
22 - Bonds, Part 7 of 8

Sparklefly frowned in response to the medical report at which she was looking. The entire battalion had been recalled from the crater, and now the officers were meeting about this problem. Including Duster, twenty-four recruits from Baltimare were already incapacitated by the sickness. They hadn’t taken time to get cleaned up, and all were muddy and soaked.

"The medics recommend we quarantine everypony by the region they came from for now," Brax said.

The others all nodded in agreement.

Captain Radiant Pyre asked, "What are the chances that they've already infected others?"

Brax looked rather grim, “Reports indicate that this particular virus is contagious before symptoms manifest. I've been informed that it starts with a persistent cough, but they believe it is contagious even before that for at least a day, maybe two. They're calling it the Baltimare Fever."

Somepony coughed. Sparklefly rubbed her eye patch as she considered the gravity of this situation. It was possible that everypony in the battalion had been exposed to the infected. If even only a few dozen had caught the illness, there was no telling how far it could spread. More immediately, she was worried about Duster. He'd been pushing himself pretty hard through various strenuous activities in his training. If that weakened him, the virus might be even more dangerous. She needed to find a way to help him.

"As there is no cure for this yet," Brax continued, "we are taking the precaution of enacting a total quarantine of the training grounds effective immediately. Anypony can come in, but nopony goes out."

Sparklefly realized how fortunate their timing was. If Scootaloo hadn't left that morning, she'd have been trapped here also. Of course, there was still a chance that she'd been infected, and given her traveling, there's no telling how many more might be exposed to the virus. That could be bad if they didn't have any medicine to fight it. Sparklefly’s mind wandered for a moment as Brax continued talking, and then she remembered something Pibs had said while in the Everfree forest. There was a pause in the discussion, so she decided to take the opportunity.

"Major Brax, Sir," Sparklefly said.

"Yes, Lieutenant?"

"The first time I was in the Everfree Forest, we had a botanist with us by the name of Corporal Pibs. She showed us a moss that acts as a fever reducer. With your permission, I would be able to collect it and bring it back here."

Brax shook his head, "I appreciate the offer, but the quarantine is already in effect. No pony leaves."

"If I may," Captain Radiant Pyre began, "There would be little to no risk of spreading any infection. If a small team goes directly into the forest and comes directly back, we shouldn't contact anypony to infect."

"Do you know what to do with this moss once you have it?" Brax asked.

"No, sir," Sparklefly replied, “but I would bet anything that the zebra, Zecora, would know how to use it."

Brax shook his head again. "No, we're not going to risk infecting anypony else. The quarantine will stand."

Sparklefly considered her options, but there were none. If there were a way to contact somepony outside that could get the moss for them, that would be one thing. Unfortunately, the EUP was still restricting civilian access to the Everfree Forest. On the other hoof, Scootaloo was already outside, but she wouldn't be returning for at least another day and a half.

"In the meantime," Brax continued, “all drills are cancelled. It will be up to the medics to keep fevers down and everypony hydrated. Go get yourselves cleaned up. We will continue to meet at dawn, noon, and dusk every day until further notice. Dismissed.”

They all separated and began exiting the tent.

Sparklefly decided that she'd make sure and let all of the guards know to not let Scootaloo inside before Sparklefly could talk to her. She was the only EUP soldier that had definitely seen the moss before. She would be their best shot at gathering it.

Captain Radiant Pyre spoke under his breath as he passed Sparklefly, “He should have let us go get that medicine.”

The mare shrugged and answered, “It’s a small matter.”

He continued walking away. Sparklefly was certain that Scootaloo would be able to get it for them. Somepony would also have to get a message to Zecora to bring her up to speed on the plan. There wasn't anything else to do but wait.

...

Arrival in Manehattan was the same routine as Cloudsdale. Scanned once, move along, and scanned again. Scootaloo's whole body tingled uncomfortably every time they did it.

"I do not like that, not one bit," Sweetie Belle groused after they were through the checkpoint.

"I hear you, Sweetie Belle," Scootaloo replied.

The unicorn did seem much happier now that they were on the ground again. Scootaloo's wings were aching already from the flight. Manehattan was a long distance from Ponyville, but it seemed much farther with another pony as a payload. Scootaloo's own mood was improved somewhat, but she was still concerned about the events of the day.

She had thought that getting to Cloudsdale to warn Prince Shining Armor about the coup was going to be the hard part. She had never imagined that getting him to believe her would even be an issue. Another concern that had been growing for some time was her newfound propensity to become enraged so easily. That stunt with Sweetie Belle could have gotten one of them killed. Scootaloo found herself wishing she could return to Ponyville immediately to tell Sparklefly what had happened, but if she went home early, it might draw attention to her behavior. That would be the worst thing she could do.

They walked through the bustling streets of Manehattan while Scootaloo wrestled with these thoughts and tried to keep calm with this new knowledge. Sweetie Belle was leading the way, looking at all of the buildings with a bit of wonder. They were funneled with crowds of civilians around one area that the EUP was using for training that day. There was a great deal of shouting coming from over that way. Scootaloo mused that Lighthoof was probably in there, griping at his cadets. After about a half hour of wandering through the crowd-filled streets, Sweetie Belle stopped and turned to Scootaloo.

"Where does Rarity live?"

Scootaloo felt silly for letting Sweetie Belle lead the way for this entire time when she didn't actually know where she was going. "Oh, um," Scootaloo began looking about to get her bearings. "Where are we?"

Sweetie Belle giggled a moment, "How am I supposed to know?"

Scootaloo snorted a laugh. "Let's go this way," she pointed her bandaged hoof to the east. She’d hardly noticed that she was walking on it again, almost all traces of the injury having faded.

They continued on, but it didn't take Scootaloo long to figure out where they were. They had actually been heading more or less in the correct direction.

"She lives in here?" Sweetie Belle squeaked when she saw the high-rise apartment building towering in front of them.

"She sure does," Scootaloo said as she pushed her way into the rotating glass door at the entrance.

Sweetie Belle seemed rather awed by the structure. Scootaloo wondered whether that was how she had reacted when she'd seen it the first time. One thing was for certain; if Sweetie Belle liked this, she was really going to like the view from her sister's apartment. As the elevator climbed higher and higher, Scootaloo began to feel a little nervous. The last time that Rarity and Sweetie Belle had seen each other, it had been rather unpleasant to say the least. Combining that fact with the current situation, this could well go horribly wrong. On the other hoof, that had been several years ago. Maybe time had softened their tempers. When the elevator door opened, Scootaloo realized that her mouth was dry. She led on, as if she were unconcerned with any of these things. Her hooves felt heavy as she lead Sweetie Belle to the door and knocked.

Rarity's muffled voice called from inside the apartment, "Who's there?"

"It's us, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.”

"Hey sis!" Sweetie Belle practically shouted.

"My dear! This is a pleasant surprise!"

The door opened wide as Rarity motioned them in. Sweetie Belle and Rarity exchanged a big hug.

Rarity added, “Oh, how I’ve missed you!”

Scootaloo's heart was pounding now, and she knew that she had no choice but to tell them.

"I have a confession," Scootaloo began. They both looked at her, quizzically. "I lied to both of you. Neither one of you told me to tell the other that you were sorry."

Shock overcame their faces. An unbearably deafening silence filled the next moment. All the fears and what ifs were now jetting through Scootaloo's mind. She only held the single hope that she hadn't made matters worse between them. Suddenly, Rarity pulled Sweetie Belle close into a hug.

"Well, I may not have told her to say it, but I'm afraid I behaved simply dreadfully the last time we spoke! Would you ever forgive me?" Rarity sounded genuinely apologetic.

"Yeah, about that," Sweetie Belle said as she pawed at the carpet with a hoof. "I know I was upset, but I shouldn't have lashed out like I did. I'm sorry, sis."

"Oh!" Rarity exclaimed as they embraced again.

Scootaloo sighed with relief.

"You're not off the hook!" Sweetie Belle said.

Scootaloo's gaze found her.

Sweetie Belle continued, "You lied to both of us to make us think the other was sorry first so we'd come see each other!” A terse expression slowly formed a grin, “When did you get so sneaky?"

Scootaloo snorted a laugh, "Sweetie Belle, who do you think I learned it from?"

The sisters giggled, still holding each other as if to make up for lost time. The eastern sky was darkening as evening began taking hold. It was a great comfort to Scootaloo that at least one of her missions had been successful. There was nothing she could do about the other one just now. She needed to get back to Ponyville; Sparklefly would know what to do.

PreviousChapters Next