• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,734

PreviousChapters Next
39 - Devotion, Part 9 of 16

Pixyglitter heard a great shout somewhere distance, almost like the roaring of the sea. For the briefest of moments, she was afraid of what it might mean, but then her heart was warmed. It was the battle-cry of ponies preparing to fight. Sporadic shouts broke out among the civilians that were pushing Cloudsdale.

"They’re so excited," Fluttershy said hesitantly.

She sounded out of breath.

"I guess we get to find out why they’re moving Cloudsdale now," Cloud Blazer said. "It just doesn’t make any sense."

“They could be bringing it close to use for a quick evacuation,” Pixyglitter ventured skeptically.

“It’d be easier to use the wing power to evacuate everypony.”

"Well, I’m sure they must have a good reason to bring so many pegasi out this close to a battle," Rarity replied.

Opalescence mewed loudly to signal her disdain of traveling.

"Here we go again," Pixyglitter said under her breath.

"Don’t worry," her payload stallion said. "No way we are flying into that. We’re in no condition to get into a fight."

"What’s the matter?" she teased, "You’re not getting soft on me, are you?"

He snorted at her, "I’m too old for this."

"You’re younger than me," she scoffed. “Besides, I’m the one that just carried you halfway across Equestria.”

"Yeah, well, I’ve had enough broken bones for one lifetime."

"Fine, but just so you know, wherever you tell me, that’s where I’m going."

"I’ll keep that in mind."

They were silenced by the report of concussion magic as it echoed across the countryside. Pixyglitter remained focused on Cloud Blazer’s every move and sound as they drew near Ponyville and Cloudsdale.

...

Duster saw flashes ahead, south of Ponyville. Even in the daylight, they lit up the area for brief moments a sickly green color as the lethal magic was unleashed. The EUP responded with arrows only.

"We’ve got to move faster," Duster said.

"Keep your voice down!" Jewel scolded him.

He grunted, putting his back into the work of moving the city. They were getting close, but it still seemed so far to go. They had to cross Ponyville and then get south of the city. Muscles were already aching, and the pegasi were nearing exhaustion. Duster had been flying for four straight hours, pulling the city for three. Lightning Dust flew up to their position and shot past them with two squads.

"Unidentified incoming front!" she shouted as she sped away.

Duster looked up to see a flying force numbering in the thousands that was heading directly for them. He strained to get a better view, but between the eye patch and the distance, he couldn’t make them out. Instead of firing, Lightning Dust turned back with her two squads and escorted the newcomers in. They were EUP. Duster put his head back down as he continued pushing.

"We’re here to help!" a familiar voice said.

Duster looked up, only to receive an utterly shocked expression on Scootaloo’s face.

She roared at him, “What in Equestria do you think you’re doing?"

Duster bristled at her hostile accusation.

Sergeant Locknload ventured to answer, "Orders, direct from Prince Shining Armor."

Scootaloo’s voice turned to ice, "You take that off right now."

Duster stopped pushing, and stood up to face her. The stallion was fed up with everypony telling him what to do. He didn’t remove the eye patch.

"I hate this more than you do," he spat back with a measure of conviction. "As he said, orders. Don’t you dare think for a second that this was my idea."

To his surprise, her gaze softened as she nodded.

“I’m sorry for thinking that of you.”

Without another word, she moved in and hugged him. Duster was confused; it took him a moment to realize that it was, as his eye patch, for appearances.

Scootaloo backed away and called out, "Alright everypony, let’s get this city into position! We’ve got two hours, so let’s give it everything we’ve got!"

"How many for the CAP?" Lightning Dust asked.

"Griffins only for the CAP," Scootaloo replied. "Our primary focus is speed. We can’t spare a single wing."

"This is a bad idea," Lightning Dust said. “We’ve got enough unicorns up here to make a fight of it, but we’ll be sitting ducks.”

"When they come, we’ll break off to fight them, but we can’t slow down unless absolutely necessary. Every minute up here is more dead soldiers down there."

The mint-colored mare nodded with a grave face of understanding. Duster got back to work, his wings beating the air in a frenzy.

PreviousChapters Next