• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,734

PreviousChapters Next
20 - Revolution, Part 8 of 10

Scootaloo was trying to contain her excitement. Cloud Blazer hadn't told any of them what he was going to ask Diamond Tiara, but he had seemed quite confident that it was going to be good. She pushed his wheelchair up and stopped at the little podium near the stage. He up at the mayor, now only about ten yards away.

"Mayor Diamond Tiara," Cloud Blazer began, "you came and visited me in the hospital this morning, and put my picture up there." He pointed up at the massive banner that hung from town hall with the two of them. "I am Cloud Blazer, and you have known me for several years." Scootaloo could see the smile on Diamond Tiara's face evaporate, becoming a thin and obvious facade. “I have no idea how you didn’t notice my name on the chart on my hospital bed. My question is, considering how horribly you've treated me since the day we first met, did you honestly think I would ever vote for you or intentionally endorse your campaign?"

It was as if the air had been sucked from the audience. The noise that Diamond Tiara made as she attempted to answer can most be likened to a shrill squeak. She had been caught completely off guard. Scootaloo hadn't realized how different he must look to the mayor, not only from his injuries, but his military mane-cut also.

Regaining some level of composure mere seconds later, Diamond Tiara answered, "Well, Cloud Blazer, you sure put me on the spot with that one," she let out a nervous laugh. "I never said you endorsed my campaign, and especially after that question, I don't expect you to vote for me. That's okay; that is how democracy works. If I have offended you, I'll have them take that banner down immediately.” She paused a moment before continuing, “However, ultimately, this is really about who is most fit to lead the city council and govern Ponyville. That’s something I’ve been trained to do, and I have far greater experience with this than does my opponent.”

It was the first time Diamond Tiara had stopped speaking before her time ran out. Applejack simply said, ”Well, that sounds like a matter between those two, so I'll decline to respond.”

That may have been the most contrite thing Scootaloo had ever heard Diamond Tiara say. She was a little bit in shock, so much so that she completely forgot to ask a question and instead pushed Cloud Blazer off of the podium. The two of them silently returned to their friends.

"Way to go, Cloud Blazer!" Java Chip said excitedly.

"Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to answer a question like that; I'd have panicked!" Fluttershy said.

"Hey Fluttershy, when did you get here?" Scootaloo asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I was on the other side. I only just found where you were sitting a few minutes ago. I should have looked harder," she replied, hanging her head.

Scootaloo just smiled at her disarmingly.

"It won't be long now," Sparklefly said.

"What?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"They're almost out of ponies to ask questions," Cloud Blazer said.

"Yes," Sparklefly replied. "Maybe another hour, and then the vote."

...

Swiftlight had waited as long as possible. It was now time to act. Three more of the conspirators had joined him near the west side of town. It was far enough away from the town hall that their movements should go unnoticed. Without a word, they all nodded at each other and began walking silently south around the edge of Ponyville toward the schoolhouse. Swiftlight's hooves were heavy; he had never marched to an execution before. He could not shake the feeling that it was more like murder.

...

Scootaloo checked Applejack's name on her ballot and put it into the drop box. There was already a frenzy of counting in progress as they pulled the boxes every five minutes to count the votes cast. She then rejoined Cloud Blazer and the others; it wasn’t long before they had all voted and returned to their place where Sparklefly was waiting. As was custom, the candidates stayed on the stage at their lecterns until the vote was decided. Applejack looked anxious, but election volunteers had brought her a chair and some water.

"She looks more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs," Apple Bloom said as Scootaloo approached.

“I know the feeling,” Sparklefly replied with a frown. “I wish I had a vote.”

“Are you kidding?” Scootaloo asked. “All the work you did to help them get this far was worth way more than one vote.”

Sparklefly smiled. Fluttershy was cowering behind everyone, and Pinkie Pie was doing cartwheels and campaigning as close as they’d allow her to the ballot boxes. All they could do now was wait.

...

The wait was over. Swiftlight and his party of conspirators had arrived at the schoolhouse. Nopony was in sight. They walked around to the back, which faces out of town, but nopony was there. Captain Radiant Pyre hadn't shown up. Swiftlight became concerned that something was seriously wrong. Looking into the sky, the moon was getting low near the horizon. He checked his watch, and it was two hours before sunrise.

"Where is he?" one of Swiftlight's companions asked.

Shaking his head, he replied, "I don't know."

...

"There it goes, there it goes, there it goes!" Pinkie Pie was screaming in Scootaloo's ear.

"Hey!" Scootaloo protested.

"There what goes?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"That was the last ballot box!" Pinkie Pie shouted. "That means they're almost done counting. We're about to find out if Applejack's hopes and dreams will be saved, or if she'll suffer a humiliatingly crushing defeat!"

"Oh my goodness!" Fluttershy said as she cowered.

"Oh come on, now!" Apple Bloom said. "Pinkie Pie, we're all nervous enough as it is!"

"I know! It's so exciting!" Pinkie Pie shouted.

Scootaloo shook her head and smiled. It was good to be home.

...

Swiftlight was sweating, but there was nothing they could do but wait. He had the others hide out of sight. They agreed that if Radiant Pyre saw more than one, he might not approach. His mind was turning over all sorts of possibilities that might have delayed the captain from being on time. As direct as he had been earlier, it was most likely that he tried to tell somepony else about the coup, and the corporal did something about it. That didn't make Swiftlight feel much better, but at least he wouldn't have to be there when it happened.

PreviousChapters Next