• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 13,880 Views, 2,518 Comments

The Empress Returns - iowaforever



Sequel to God Empress of Ponykind: Celestia returns to the Imperium of Man, taking the title of Empress one last time.

  • ...
37
 2,518
 13,880

PreviousChapters Next
3.11- The Realm of Ultramar

The Realm of Ultramar

For once, Naomi was one of the first up and prepared for the morning.

She finished washing her face, her eyes lingering on her scars for a moment before she shook away the excess water. It was no longer a source of despair, but now that she was around a telepath of dubious trustworthiness the brand had crept its way back into her mind as yet another challenge: a liability. Tara would obviously vouch for her, but even with her authority a Lady Inquisitor was not one Naomi would like to make an enemy of.

Naomi moved to recover her helmet, sliding it on as she entered the common room she shared with her girls. Ruth was finishing up her morning prayers with Rebecca while Judith and Veronica cleaned their armor, the Sisters focused on their task and oblivious even to the presence of their Superior. “I presume Tara is still attempting to contact the Empress?” she asked.

“That’s what she told us,” Veronica said, setting aside her rag as she rose to face Naomi. “At least when we were still aboard Lord Mattias’ ship we had an idea of where she was, but now with this Inquisitor Olivier around...”

“Tara trusts her, though,” Judith offered. “I think that counts for something, right?”

“While she is far better off than she was before our rescue, Tara is no doubt still grappling with the events of Solemnace, especially with... the manner and timing of our return.” the five Sisters fell silent. They were no strangers to being tossed through the Warp, but seven years was still a far greater time than they had anticipated. The thought of the Imperium being unobserved in all that time... Naomi shook her head as dark thoughts welled in her mind. “I want you all to keep a closer eye on her, and make sure to tell me anything that she says to Inquisitor Olivier.”

“And if the Inquisitor starts asking us questions?” Veronica asked.

“Do your best not to say too much, though I suspect she already knows a fair deal of our dealings with the Empress.” Naomi moved to retrieve her combi-flamer and chainsword, strapping them to her belt before continuing. “I will be waiting in the training room. We’ll resume full combat drills now that we have the Inquisitor’s blessing and facilities.”

“Yes, Sister Naomi,” the other four chorused as Naomi stepped out into the hall, pausing only to get her bearings before heading towards the rear of the ship. The Sword of Redemption was not all that different in layout to the Sanguinium Martyres, save for the main hallway showcasing the triumphs of Inquisitors’ past and the training facilities being closer to the rear; Naomi was not so petty to get worked up over such a minor change, but it would take some getting used to before they reached civilization.

Naomi stayed away from the main halls, less the Inquisitor’s minions were watching for her presence. Her progress would be slower, no doubt, but it gave her some privacy and helped her collect her thoughts for the inevitable moment she would encounter Lady Olivier again. A short prayer for guidance crossed her mind, and she was half tempted to pray aloud to provide some comfort as she walked alone, but a hesitancy hung over her as she made her way down the darkened halls.

The Empress was still missing. It would be blasphemy to assume the worst, but perhaps asking for personal guidance was a mite selfish.

Naomi finally reached the training room, taking a quick look around to make sure she was not followed before stepping inside. She stopped once she took in the scene before her: Lady Olivier was there, dressed in golden armor with a massive sword in her hands. Across from her was Tara, similarly armed and armored, but something seemed... off. Tara’s hair rippled with power, small sparks flickering off her armor as she sized up her opponent. Seeing Tara using her powers was not an unusual sight, but she seemed under far more strain than usual; her face was lined and her jaw tight, and there was a slight tremble in her hand as she brought her sword up.

Olivier moved first, bringing her sword up for a downward strike. Tara dodged, perhaps sensing even with her powers she could not parry a massive strike like that. Rather than continue onward with her strike, Olivier pirouetted to her right and perfectly blocked Tara’s retaliation strike, the Inquisitor knocking the sword away before punching Tara in the face. “Better,” the Inquisitor said, stepping back to put some space between her and Tara. “Your control over your shields ist still a bit obvious, but you’re breaking through my suggestions for now.”

“Th-thanks.” Tara stammered, stepping back to get some distance of her own. “It really means a lot to hear you say that, Sunset.” Sunset? Naomi would have thought more on that, but Inquisitor Olivier dropped her stance and turned. Naomi had only a moment to realize Tara had relaxed as well before the Inquisitor addressed her.

“Sister Superior,” she said, lowering her sword to a resting position. “I apologize, but it seems that I have intruded on your training session.”

“I am not one to dictate terms on a ship where I am only a guest.” Naomi said, stepping forward and giving Tara a respectful nod. The girl looked guilty, like an Acolyte that had snuck out after curfew, but Naomi kept her focus on Olivier. “Though if I may be so bold to ask, what was it you were doing with Tara?”

“Oh, I asked S... Sarai to help me develop my mental shields a little more,” Tara said quickly. “The Empress’ lessons are pretty comprehensive, but sometimes I need a more direct approach, and this isn’t a branch of magic I’m very familiar with.” Tara’s gaze softened. “I wish she was here to see my progress...”

“I’m sure we all do,” Naomi said, giving Tara the most sympathetic tone she could manage. “But with your diligence and powers I am sure you will locate her soon.” Tara gave a short nod, though Naomi could tell the girl was still unconvinced. Best to move on, then. Naomi returned her attention to Olivier before speaking. “Inquisitor Olivier, if you are willing I would like you to fight me as you did Tara.”

“What?” Tara asked, her eyes going wide. “Naomi, you’re not a psyker; she could-”

“Would that be any different if I faced off against a heretic psyker?” Naomi asked, looking to Tara to silence the girl. “You have shielded us well from the Tyranids and the forces of Chaos, but what if we should ever be without your protection?”

“Sister Naomi is right, Tara,” Olivier said. “Do not worry; I doubt my tricks will be of much concern to a veteran like her.” Naomi said nothing to this; perhaps the Inquisitor was trying to put her off balance and make her overconfident in her actions. “Now then, I suggest you prepare yourself, Sister.”

“I would not have gotten to where I am today if I was not.” Naomi said, stepping away from the two while unclipping her chainsword from her belt. Tara backed up, holding her sword close to her chest while Olivier took up a guard position across from the Sister Superior. Naomi held her chainsword in a one-handed grip, her fingers twitching as she prepared for the Inquisitor’s next move.

Let’s see just what tricks this woman has.

Naomi decided to strike first, charging forward and sweeping her chainsword up towards Olivier’s head. The Inquisitor parried the blade and took a step back, twirling her sword to catch Naomi’s followup strike. An overhead chop forced Olivier back again, but Naomi did not press onward; instead she drew back, taking her chainsword in a two handed grip while she moved to get around the Inquisitor.

“Interesting,” Olivier said, keeping her sword low as she and Naomi circled. “You are cautious, making a few blows before drawing away. Perfect for wearing down an opponent over time, no?”

“If that is how you see it,” Naomi replied, shifting to keep the Inquisitor in front of her. Olivier merely gave her the hint of a smile before bringing her sword up, the two staring down one another before the Inquisitor charged forward. Naomi stepped back and raised her chainsword to block, but before the Inquisitor struck she seemed to shift to Naomi’s right. Naomi had scant seconds to dodge, Olivier striking her arm with the flat of the greatsword as she charged past. Naomi took the strike as best she could, pivoting on the balls of her feet to get around Olivier while the Inquisitor turned back towards her. No mortal can move that fast without augmentations or psychic powers. Perhaps this is part of the “tricks” she mentioned.

“Good,” Olivier chuckled, taking up a guard position as she continued. “When I used that on Tara she fell flat on her face. You have a great sense of awareness of the battlefield around you.” Naomi remained silent, choosing now to push forward and perhaps catch Olivier off guard. The Inquisitor almost casually dodged Naomi’s strikes, not even bringing her sword up to block as she ducked away. “And wildly attacking the telepath, that’s productive too.”

Of course the Inquisitor would be able to predict her moves. Naomi stopped herself, pulling back as she took a deep breath. Do not overthink your actions, Naomi thought, the words of Canoness Diana drifting through her mind. The mind is the greatest weapon on the battlefield. Let it be clouded by “what-ifs”, and it will be your enemy’s weapon. Naomi closed her eyes, bringing her chainsword in close as she cleared her mind again. Even nonsense thoughts and prayers to the Empress faded away- all that remained was her and Olivier.

... her sword does make an awful lot of noise when she’s sweeping it through the air.

Naomi snapped her head up, just as Olivier moved to attack. Naomi stepped back, keeping her chainsword low as she waited for Olivier’s strike. The Inquisitor feinted, seemingly going for an overhead strike but bringing the sword around for la sideways chop. Naomi dodged, keeping her ears open for the sound of Olivier’s true strike, and sure enough she could sense it coming in from above. At the last moment Naomi brought her chainsword up, catching the greatsword before it struck her and locking Olivier in place. Satisfied that her opponent was not moving, Naomi kicked out and struck the Inquisitor in the leg, forcing her down on one knee.

Naomi brought her chainsword towards Olivier’s head. “Do you yield?” she asked.

“Of course, of course,” Olivier replied, giving a good chuckle as she continued. “It’s... refreshing to spar with an actual human for once. Let me guess, you picked up on the Cassandrite Greatsword’s sound, no?”

“It is a fairly heavy blade,” Naomi said, stepping back to give the Inquisitor some room. “Once I guessed you were using your powers to manipulate my sight, I figured my hearing would be more reliable.”

“A good strategy,” Olivier said. However as she kept talking, Naomi could swear the Inquisitor’s voice was coming from behind her. “Of course, even the ears can be tricked with the right inputs.” Naomi shook her head, just enough to clear her mind of the Inquisitor’s influence... again.

“So, is it just like what you were telling me?” the two older women looked over to where Tara was standing, Naomi blinking as she saw the girl had produced a pen and paper from nowhere. “Instead of stimulating direct optics like an illusion, you’re interrupting and redirecting the other neurons to trick the mind into seeing something else? Does that mean you’re hearing and seeing a bit of what Naomi is hearing and seeing?”

“The girl is relentless, isn’t she?” Olivier asked, accepting a hand from Naomi as the Sister Superior helped her back to her feet.

“To her detriment, sometimes.” Naomi replied, spotting the rest of her girls stepping into the room. “If you’ll excuse me, I have training to conduct.”

“Actually, I had hoped to speak with you on some matters,” Olivier said. “Perhaps your fellow Sisters could begin their training on their own?” Naomi hesitated, her eyes darting from the Inquisitor to Tara and her Sisters. She cannot be trusted... but then, you held the same reservations about Lord Mattias and he proved himself... There was another moment before Naomi spoke.

“Girls, there is a change of plans,” she said, the other Sisters coming to attention with Tara joining them. “Inquisitor Olivier has asked to speak with me on some matters. Begin your laps and move to sparring when you’re finished. Ruth, you have command.”

“Yes, Sister Naomi!” the Sister in question replied, throwing a quick salute before she and the others began their sprints, Tara dismissing her notes with a puff of purple smoke before she joined them. As Naomi watched her girls, Olivier took a spot next to her.

“They’re a good group of girls, Sister Superior,” the Inquisitor said, crossing her arms as she watched. “You should be very proud.”

“Pride leads to arrogance, arrogance gets good women killed,” Naomi replied, clamping her chainsword back to her belt as she continued. “I am sure you understand what I mean by that.”

“I may be your junior by a number of years, but I am no stranger to loss,” Olivier countered, her voice growing soft. Naomi did not press as the Inquisitor continued. “But such reminiscing is best saved for a time with drink and privacy, not in the training room. I can sense you wish me to move on to more pressing matters.”

“I am a soldier first and foremost, Inquisitor. I am not well versed or have a high tolerance for pleasantries.”

“And yet you handle young Tara’s eccentricities well enough.” Olivier said. “It actually concerns her in some ways. I fear that she will be in great danger when she arrives in Ultramar.” Naomi quirked an eyebrow at this. From what she had heard, Ultramar was one of the most secure sections of space outside of the Segmentum Solar itself- why would Tara be in danger there?

“I will need a better explanation before I can agree to anything.” Naomi said, keeping her voice low.

“I had to do something while I was searching for you all,” Olivier explained, brushing an errant strand of hair out of her face. “And what I found lurking beneath the surface of Ultramar’s veneer of security was... disturbing.”

“You suspect the Ultramarines and their successors of treason?”

“I am not that stupid, Sister Superior.” Olivier countered. “Their mortal charges, though? The nobles, the ministers, the Mechanicum adepts that serve within their realm? Every fortress has its weaknesses, and that is the weakness of Ultramar.” Naomi nodded, a better picture of the situation that awaited them forming in her mind. “I have already spoken with Lord Velas on this matter, and he has agreed to lend his aid to my investigations.”

“And what do you expect of me?” Naomi asked. “I am not exactly a subtle woman.”

“But from what I’ve seen today you have a knack for seeing through falsehoods, something that even a more obviously powerful person like Tara cannot do.” Olivier turned to Naomi before continuing. “I am not asking you to put on a fancy dress and start flirting with undersexed noblemen. Just place yourself in places where no one may object to your presence and look for anything suspicious.”

“I honestly feel Tara would be better fitting in than I would,” Naomi replied, to which Olivier laughed.

“For all you say that you’re a soldier first and foremost, your wry observations hide a rather cunning mind.” Olivier’s laughter died down. “I understand that it is a bit much to take in. We are still a ways out from Konor, so you have some time to think on the matter.”

“And if I decline your request?”

“I am not some hard-liner that would risk drawing the ire of the Empress or Her student to pursue my own goals.” Naomi noted that Olivier seemed to hesitate at the mention of the Empress, a rather curious deflection for someone who claimed loyalty to Her Majesty. Perhaps it has something to do with how hesitant she has been around Tara. “If you do not wish to assist me, that’s fine. I will not pressure you further, but... understand, your assistance will be a great help to the Imperium, and to the Student.”

“I will... think on this,” Naomi said finally. “That’s all I can promise at this time. I have Tara to protect and my girls to train, and I may not be able to devote myself fully to your... project.”

“I understand.” Olivier nodded. “Well, I have other duties to attend to, so I shall leave you to your training.” Naomi said nothing, merely returning the Inquisitor’s nod as the other woman made her way towards the exit, stepping around Judith and Ruth as she did so. Normal instinct would have been to focus on the task at hand, making sure her squad was ready for whatever challenges lay ahead, but if Olivier’s warnings were true they would be facing a whole new enemy her girls might not be prepared for. Naomi mulled on this, numerous bad scenarios playing over and over in her head as the Inquisitor’s words sank in.

Perhaps now was a better time to try and reach the Empress through prayer.

...

With the added weight from the Gauntlet of the Forge, Twilight had to adjust her training regimen once more. The motions were all the same, but her strikes to her left felt stiffer, heavier- Sigismund’s notes said a lot about fighting with the weight of a shield, but the Gauntlet was a more concentrated weight she would have to deal with. Naomi’s practice had helped Twilight get a better handle on one-handed fighting, but that would only get her so far.

She still had not gotten around to firing it yet.

Twilight finished her morning paces, taking a deep breath to calm herself. She turned, half expecting Sunset or Vulkan to be waiting for her, but there was no one. No surprise- they all had duties and responsibilities beyond being her comfort or sounding board. The only one who didn’t seem to have any duties was... No, don’t think like that. You’re trying to contact Celestia; I’m sure the others would see that as a greater task than whatever they’re facing.

Twilight clamped her sword to her hip, walking over to her right to recover a towel and water bottle she had left out. She splashed a little water on her hand, her armor flickering as it held the liquid in place before she splashed it across her face. That task complete, she took the towel and dried her face off, turning around and almost tripping over the Harlequin standing behind her.

“You would do well to keep your friends closer, Twilight Maiden,” the Eldar said, Twilight giving a shriek as she stumbled back.

“H-How did you get in here?!” she cried.

“Easily,” the alien replied, barely reacting as Twilight grabbed her sword. “Put your weapon away. I come not as an enemy, but as a messenger.”

“From who?” Twilight asked, keeping her sword in a guard position. “You saved me before and I’m thankful for that, but you keep barging into my life and tell me all these cryptic things like I’m just supposed to know the answers. I get enough of that from Angelique, thank you very much!”

“If it is answers that you seek, you only need to be honest with me, and yourself.” the Harlequin stepped back, spreading its arms wide. “But in this instance, we are willing and eager to speak clearly. Trust no one.”

“Trust no-” Twilight stopped herself. “Oh no. You’re not tricking me into being paranoid. My friends and I have been together for long enough- I think I’d know if they were going to betray me.”

“You say that, and yet you refuse to tell them what you really are.” the Eldar twisted its hands, and Twilight saw an image of her as a pony, only now dressed in her armor.

“Th-they wouldn’t believe me,” Twilight countered. “This Imperium, they’re so caught up in hatred. I know my friends have gotten better, but-”

“And you think I am sowing the seeds of paranoia.” The Harlequin stepped back, seemingly fading into the shadows as it continued to speak. “Remember, Twilight Maiden: Trust no one.”

“It’d be a whole lot easier to trust you if you didn’t-” Twilight stepped forward, but the Harlequin was gone. “... just fade into the darkness all the time.” She sighed, letting the tip of her sword drop to the ground as she waited for something else to jump out. Sensing nothing, Twilight put her sword away and hurried towards the exit of the training room, taking a moment to get her bearings before sprinting down a hallway.

Mattias would have some answers. He was someone she could trust.

As she ran down the hall, Twilight spotted Veronica and Ruth coming the other way. She skidded to a stop to avoid bowling over the two Sisters, but they braced all the same. “Tara, is something wrong?” Ruth asked.

“Maybe? I don’t know,” Twilight started. “Do you know where Mattias is?”

“Lord Mattias is on the command bridge with Lady Olivier,” Veronica replied. “He actually sent us to come get you-”

“Great! Sorry girls, but I’ll take it from here.” Twilight focused her energy, ignoring Veronica’s followup before she teleported. She found herself on the bridge, the click of several gun safeties being switched off heralding her arrival. Oh, right...

“Hold,” Sunset barked, her voice cool but not overly harsh. “It is only the Student. She is no threat to us.” Twilight took a moment to let her eyes adjust before looking about. Sunset was there, clad in her red dress uniform with Mattias off to her left. She kept her vision on the display screen, though Mattias at least gave her a friendly nod as she approached.

“Mattias, Sunset-” she whispered.

“How many times do I have to correct you, Tara,” Sunset said, still not looking at her. “And whatever it is will have to wait. We are just about to exit for our final approach to Macragge.” Twilight paused. They were already so close to Macragge? Yes, it had been some time since they had left the patch of space where the Sanguinium Martyres had been stranded, but surely they would have had some advanced warning.

... Then again, I have been focusing on finding Celestia over pretty much everything else. Guess I just missed it.

“Oh...” Twilight fidgeted for a moment. “So... Is that why you called me up here?”

“There are places even Inquisitors can’t just flash a badge of office and waltz into,” Mattias said. “Sarai has a plan set in motion, but I wanted you here in the event that plan didn’t play out as we had hoped.”

“Wouldn’t it be easier to ask Vulkan to do that?” Twilight offered.

“As far as the Imperium is concerned, Vulkan is a mythological being that has been dead for twelve thousand years,” Sunset said, still not looking away from the screen. “You, though, are practically a Living Saint from how often you’ve been seen at the Empress’ side. Unless we stand face to face with our potential opponents, your word will carry more weight than his at this time. I asked him to join the Sisters in the hangar for when we make our landing.” Twilight swallowed. While Solemnace had proved she could do well on her feet, dealing with such formalities remained an ever daunting task. At least dealing with humans would be a little easier than dealing with aliens.

She hoped.

Before them, space contorted as the Sword of Redemption exited the Warp. Twilight peaked around Sunset, seeing a rocky world surrounded by two separate fleets of warships. Fortunately none of them seemed to be moving to attack them, allowing the Inquisitor’s ship to decelerate and move towards a neutral orbit. “Begin transmitting our access codes,” Sunset said, turning her head slightly to speak with her crew. “I will deal with whatever challenges that may face us.”

“Yes, my lady,” one of the officers replied. “Whom should we accept first if we are hailed by both fleets?” Twilight quirked an eyebrow at this. The Imperium seemed to value efficiency and deference to higher authorities, so why would there be a break in the command structure like that? Maybe it has to do with that Schism everyone told me about...

“Prioritize the Ultramarines first,” Sunset continued, looking back to the monitor. “It seems only fitting, as it is their homeworld.”

“I imagine the Scions of Guilliman would argue that point,” Mattias countered. “But it’s your command. I’m sure you’ve had to deal with them enough already.”

“One year of bureaucracy is quite enough, thank you,” Sunset replied, her voice far more exasperated than normal. Twilight watched all this in silence, storing away whatever information might be useful for later. It would have been better if Mattias or Sunset had some more she could read on the topic, but it was too late to think on that now.

Guess I’ll just have to improvise, again.

Twilight was shaken from her thoughts by one of sunset’s officers calling out. “We are receiving a transmission from the leading Battle Barge,” the woman said. “They are requesting we slow and identify.”

“Maintain course, but open comms.” Sunset replied, turning and moving past Twilight as she took a new spot in the center of the bridge. There was a pause before a new voice cut through the bridge.

“This is the Battle Barge Resolute, Captain Acheron speaking,” the voice said. “Adjust your course on the vector provided and identify yourself.”

“This is Emiliana Helos, Transport Ship Stargazer,” Sunset replied. Twilight noticed that the other woman’s demeanor had shifted considerably, her pose being far more open and her chin held higher. Twilight could even swear Sunset smiled. “I’m carryin’ a shipment ‘f grain and pilgrims from Iax and Konor. Per my orders I’m to maintain course an’ unload at the proper civilian channels.”

“I was not aware of a grain shipment,” the other captain replied. “On whose authority do you bring these pilgrims?”

“I wasn’t aware that pilgrims were needin’ authority from anyone but the Empress ‘erself,” Sunset replied, crossing her hands behind her back as she continued. “But I’m not one t’ raise a fuss. Sendin’ our manifest now.” Sunset gave a slight nod, a few more officers moving to prepare the manifest. There was a pause, Twilight moving closer to Mattias as they waited.

“They won’t fire on us, will they?” she asked.

“The Ultramarines and their successors don’t make a habit of destroying transports on whims.” Mattias replied. “But given the events of the last few years, I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of them are a little paranoid and trigger happy.” Twilight frowned but said nothing more. Mattias and Sunset knew what they were doing, and surely they had plans in place in case they were fired upon.

“Your manifest has been cleared.” Captain Acheron replied. “You may maintain course and unload your cargo. Be advised, though- your transmissions and movements will be tracked, so do not get any ideas and reach out to the ‘Scions’ for assistance.”

“Wouldn’t think ‘f doin’ that, sir,” Sunset replied, rocking on her feet as she continued. “Empress protect you.” and with that the communication cut out, Sunset straightening out before looking at her officers. “Find a non intrusive orbit and contact the main port. Monitor any other transmissions that might jeopardize our mission.”

“Yes, my lady.” With that, Sunset cast her gaze over to Twilight and Mattias, the two getting the message and moving to join them. They started down the hall, Sunset pulling a pair of gloves from her coat pocket before speaking.

“We’re lucky he didn’t order a full search of the ship,” Sunset said. “My authority would have gotten them to back down, but then the rest of the Ultramarines would know we were coming.”

“Why not just tell them the truth?” Twilight asked.

“And risk getting into a pissing contest over who gets to claim responsibility for helping the Student of the Empress and Primarch Vulkan return to the Imperium? Better to keep them on the defensive and perhaps get it through their Adamantium skulls that their jockeying is costing the Imperium time and lives it cannot afford to lose.”

“Things... aren’t that bad, are they?” both Inquisitors stopped and looked at Twilight. Under their scrutiny, Twilight found herself twiddling her thumbs in nervousness, waiting for them to respond. Mattias was the one who ultimately broke the silence.

“Despite the strife, the Ultramarines, the Scions, and their allies are exemplars of the Astartes,” he said. “They had great success against Hive Fleet Cetus and the Tau Empire in the years before the Empress’ return.”

“My father was also quite respectful towards them,” Sunset added. “At the very least, they are willing to listen to reason. We just need to make sure it’s on our terms rather than theirs.” Our terms... The two Inquisitors were about to depart when Twilight spoke again.

“The Eldar was here, Mattias.” she blurted out. Mattias froze before turning to face her.

“What did it say?” he asked, his voice low. Sunset paused as she regarded the two, though she did not say anything right away. Perhaps she merely wanted to see how things would play out.

“I... He said that I shouldn’t trust anyone.” Twilight started. “Obviously I trust you, Vulkan, and the Sisters, but that it would happen so close to Ultramar.”

“Perhaps the Eldar have a stake in the success of our mission we don’t yet realize,” Sunset mused, bringing a hand to her chin. “And guessing by your words, I’m guessing this isn’t the first time you’ve had an encounter like this?” Twilight blinked. Sunset had been around for long enough and she didn’t know about the Eldar?

“The xenos seem to have a special interest in Twilight,” Mattias said, moving on so they could reach the hangar. “They call her the ‘Twilight Maiden’. Eldar mythology is not my strong suit, but I know enough to know there’s no mention of any kind of entity with that name.”

“It seems likely they know of Twilight’s origins, though,” Sunset offered. “I have a few theories as to how they could have come across that information... None of them good, mind you.”

“Please, the less I have to think about the Empress creating a world of benevolent horse xenos the better.”

“It’s okay to call them ponies, Lord Velas.” Sunset said, Twilight spotting the barest hint of a smile on the Lady Inquisitor’s face.

“Regardless, the Eldar obviously seek to manipulate us into carrying out some action that will forward their plans for Twilight.” Mattias continued. “Seems like I’m going to be very busy dealing with them as well.”

“As well?” Twilight asked, jogging to get between the two Inquisitors. “What’s going on, and why aren’t you telling me about this?”

“Because your job is to find the Empress, Twilight,” Sunset replied, her voice colder. “We cannot afford you getting distracted by other matters we can handle on our own.”

“But Sunset-”

“Just because you call me that doesn’t mean I’m going to change my mind,” Sunset looked down at Twilight. “You say you trust us, don’t you? Trust us that we can handle these threats while you locate the Empress.” Twilight hesitated, her mind going over a number of bad scenarios on how this could turn out. She needed to help, pick up the slack she’d left behind since Mir’shen’s death... but then, overworking herself would do no one any good.

“... Okay.” Twilight nodded. “Just be careful. I don’t want to lose anyone else I could have saved.”

“Were the universe so kind, Twilight,” Sunset replied, quickening her pace to reach the hangar. Mattias slowed, just enough to rest a hand on Twilight’s shoulder.

“I know you’re overthinking things right now,” he said. “But don’t worry. While I don’t trust her entirely, Sarai has the best idea of what we are facing right now. We’ll keep things under control while you reach the Empress.”

“I know,” Twilight replied. “And I’m sorry for getting all worked up... Sometimes it feels like the only thing I’m actually good at.”

“We’ll get that sorted in due time. For now, we just need to focus on the present.” Twilight nodded again, the two hurrying to catch up to Sunset. The three soon found themselves in the hangar, where the Sisters, Mattias’ henchmen, and Vulkan were awaiting them near the lander. Sunset stopped long enough to trade out her normal coat for a heavier greatcoat, quickly moving down the stairs before speaking.

“I will be brief, my friends,” she started, coming to a stop while the others formed a semicircle around her. “We have just gotten clearance to land on Macragge. We will be landing at a civilian station several hours south of the Ultramarines’ Fortress Monastery, so until I secure us access to the fortress I advise you stay close and follow my lead.”

“When you say several hours,” Ruth started. “You mean by air, yes?”

“Unless you want to spend the next five months marching Tara through frigid, mountainous terrain, then yes.” Sunset replied. Ruth gave a disappointed frown.

“Oh...” she mumbled. “I was hoping that perhaps we could join the pilgrims in their walk to the Shrine of Guilliman...”

“There will be other opportunities for you to show your devotion, Sister,” Sunset looked to the rest of the group. “For now, our priority is to make sure Tara is in a secure location where she can contact the Empress.” Sunset then turned her attention to Vulkan. “My Lord, do you have any objections to our course?”

“Though your words were a mite harsh, I agree that securing Miss Tara’s safety is paramount to our success.” the Primarch said.

“Good. I will be needing your assistance in securing passage to the fortress. If I may have a moment of your time I would like to discuss the matter fully.” Vulkan nodded, Sunset stepping around the others while the Primarch made room for her to get aboard the ship. As the other Inquisitor disappeared from sight, the Sisters stepped up to speak with Twilight.

“It’s good to see you’re alright, Tara,” Veronica said. “When you teleported away from us so fast, I was worried that you might expose yourself to the Warp or something horrible like that.”

“Don’t worry,” Twilight shook her head. “The Empress helped me a little with my teleports before we arrived on Rynn’s World, so I know when to avoid overtaxing myself.”

“Oh, good.”

“Perhaps once you are safe, we could take you to Guilliman’s resting place,” Ruth offered. “With all that has gone on recently, I feel we have slacked in ensuring your spiritual growth continues.”

“There will be a time and place for that, Ruth,” Naomi said, Twilight feeling a slight shiver as the Sister Superior’s gaze passed over her, helmet or no helmet. “For now, we must make sure no further ill befalls Tara.”

“... Yes, Sister Naomi.”

“Good. Go find your spots onboard, girls.” the four Sisters nodded and made their way up the ramp, Naomi turning her attention towards Twilight. “Is there anything more you need from us?” Twilight hesitated. Something in Naomi’s words and body language told her the Sister Superior was on edge, though with the multitude of threats that had come up she could barely guess as to what.

I know they don’t really trust Sunset... Twilight thought. But maybe, someday, they’ll come around.

“No, not yet.” Twilight said, shaking her head. “I’d be lying if I said everything was fine, but we just have to make due with what we’ve got, right?”

“... I suppose so.” Naomi nodded, her face invisible behind her helmet. With that the Sister Superior turned, disappearing into the hold of the lander as Twilight looked on.

And just briefly, she thought she saw the image of the Harlequin’s face among the shadows.

...

For a man of his stature and fierce appearance, Vulkan was a pleasant conversationalist.

Granted, Sarai had expected nothing less from the Primarch of the Salamanders. His sons were held as exemplars of kindness and selflessness among the Imperium, so it was only natural that their founder would be to them what they were to the Imperium. Seated before him, hearing him speak in soothing tones of his achievements and adventures, it was as if she was back with the Tanith, hearing the old veterans speak of their own trials on campaign.

She noticed her eyes drifting to her wrists more often than not. I wish Father was here to see this...

Twilight and the others were not so chatty on the ride down to Macragge. The Sisters appeared focused on prayer, while Lord Velas and his henchmen spoke in hushed tones about the events before them. A part of her wanted to open up, perhaps chat again as she did in the days before she became a Lady Inquisitor, but the paranoia, the fear of exposing herself, that continued to hold her back. Perhaps this was something Lord Vulkan noticed as well, given how much he was willing to speak to her now.

“I saw the tattoos on your wrists,” he said, jolting Sarai from her thoughts. “May I ask where they come from?”

“Oh...” Sarai said, smoothing a wrinkle in her overcoat before speaking. “I... well, it’s best to say that I am an orphan. My father discovered me on some bombed out world in the Gothic Sector, and I was more or less adopted by him and his soldiers after that.” She rolled up her sleeve, exposing the tattoos and the scars they were meant to cover. “I managed to track down his regiment and paid a visit after I graduated from the Schola, before I was properly assigned to an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor. The Tanith were always kind to me, and thought that perhaps these would cover up my scars for a little while.”

“They are quite beautiful,” Vulkan said, taking Sarai’s hand in his own as he inspected the tattoos further. “It is a shame that one as young as you has had to go through so much torment.”

“I-I wouldn’t exactly call myself ‘young’, my lord.” Sarai responded quickly.

“Please, call me Vulkan,” the Primarch said, giving her a smile. “Though my status would say otherwise, I do not care much for such grandiose titles.”

“I understand,” Sarai said. “During your journeys... did you ever see Tanith?”

“I do not remember standing on a world of that name,” Vulkan said, releasing Sarai’s hand before continuing. “So much has changed since I last walked this realm, I could not tell you what remains and what does not. Is Tanith a good world?”

“It... it was, so I’ve been told,” Sarai replied. “It was destroyed millennia ago by the forces of Chaos. Only a handful of Guardsmen were able to escape the carnage, but they and their descendants have served the Imperium faithfully through many battles. Though they gained a new home and other Tanith regiments joined them, the First and Only are still legends among the Imperial Guard... and I will always cherish them for saving my life.”

“Good,” Vulkan nodded. “Remember the past and those that have brought you to the present, Miss Sarai. Much of the strife we see now is because men and women have forgotten that past and grasp blindly towards the future, and I would not wish to see that rot progress further than it already has.” Sarai said nothing. Vulkan’s perspective on what constituted rot and what did not would surely give any Imperial Scholar a massive headache, but it was always refreshing to hear the perspective of a time long since past.

And at least I need not dredge up my own sins.

The transport rattled as it landed, Sarai waiting a moment longer before standing. “Vulkan and I will speak with the officials at the dock,” she said, the Primarch moving to join her as she addressed the others. “Keep the engines idling; I don’t expect this to take too long.”

“Are you sure you don’t need my help?” Twilight asked. Sarai regarded the Student for a moment; yes, she could be of some use in negotiating their transit, but her talents would most likely be better spent when they got to their true challenge- getting the Ultramarines and the Scions of Guilliman to be quiet long enough for them to negotiate safe refuge.

“Don’t worry, Tara,” she replied. “Vulkan and I will be alright out there. When you are needed, you will know.” Twilight hesitated, but gave a short nod. The girl really does want to prove herself. Sarai turned towards the ramp, waiting as it lowered down and exposed them to the chill of Macragge.

For all that was said of the gloriousness of Roboute Guilliman’s homeworld, it did not endear itself as particularly hospitable. Sarai stepped out onto a worn tarmac, their transport joined by a number of civilian craft of all marks and sizes. Beyond, Sarai could see the snow capped peaks of the Hera’s Crown Mountains, the last natural defense before the ceramite and steel of the Ultramarines’ fortress. At the base of the mountains Sarai could barely make out a few flickering lights, the starting point for the traditional pilgrimage into the mountains to gaze upon Guilliman’s resting place. To her left was more barren landscape, while to her right Sarai could see the usual trappings of civilization- farms and row houses giving way to the massive skyscrapers and municipal buildings that the majority of Macragge’s civilians called home.

The landing zone was busy with activity. Servitors and laborers worked quickly to unload transports, stacking up food and supplies in neat piles beneath the shadows of their carriers. Pilgrims were among the most numerous groups, with Sarai seeing dozens of small enclaves following Ministorum Priests on their way towards the mountains. The air was abuzz with the sound of clanking machinery and ship engines, but even the sounds of machines could do little to drown out the hum of Mankind’s devotion and commitment to moving onward.

Sarai figured there was something poetic in that assessment, but she was too cold to think on it much.

Sarai adjusted her coat as Vulkan squeezed out of the lander. “It has been some time since I have stood upon Macragge,” the Primarch said, straightening out as he surveyed the land. “I see it hasn’t changed much since then.”

“I suppose that is for the best,” Sarai replied. “Ultramar has been a frequent target for Mankind’s enemies in the last five thousand years. I suppose we should all be thankful that it has withstood the onslaught.”

“Indeed.” Vulkan said, finishing his survey of the terrain. “Well, we must not keep our contacts waiting, no?” Sarai nodded, starting off across the tarmac with Vulkan following close behind. She did her best to keep her gaze forward, but she could feel a shift in the air as she and the Primarch made their way through the crowds. Some of the pilgrim groups even began to form up behind them as the reality of what they saw befell them, hushed whispers reaching Sarai’s ears and mind as she walked.

Even with her headband in place, it was difficult to keep all of their thoughts out of mind.

Fortunately, relief came as Sarai spotted a finely dressed man flanked by a squad of guards dressed in royal blue and gold armor. Sarai stopped as the man approached, two Cherubs fluttering up to hand him a scroll. “May I have your identification, please?” the man said, producing a pen as he continued. “I do not wish there to be any more disturbances at this port.”

“Understandable, my friend,” Sarai said, reaching into her pocket to produce her symbol of office. “Lady Sarai Olivier of the Ordo Malleus. I am transporting Primarch Vulkan of the Salamanders and the Empress’ Personal Student, Lady Tara, to the Ultramarines and require authorization of my transit.”

“If there is anything I might offer,” Vulkan added. “Please, speak now.” This drew another wave of murmurs through the crowd that had gathered, some singing praises to the Empress for the great fortune of seeing a Primarch in the flesh.

“I... I...” the man said, trying and failing to regain his composure as he rifled through his scroll. “I received no notification that you were present in Ultramar, Miss Olivier-”

Lady Olivier, please,” Sarai countered. “Let’s do our best to maintain proper titles, now. How soon can you grant authorization for us to continue our journey?”

“I would need to make the proper communications-”

“Then do so. My mission is of utmost importance to the Imperium, and I cannot be delayed any further than I already have been.” the man sputtered, but said nothing more as he jotted down a note in the scroll and passed it off to the nearest Cherub. As he moved away through the crowd, Vulkan leaned down to speak with Sarai.

“There is no need to be so harsh, Miss Sarai,” he said. “It may give the crowds the wrong idea concerning yourself and Miss Tara.”

“I am an Inquisitor,” Sarai replied. “It is not my business to be liked, only to make sure the Imperium is secure. Tara can be shielded for a time, and when that time is passed she can show the galaxy that its hope is in the right hands.”

“But you are assigned to her, and Tara cannot be everywhere at once. What will others think of her and the path the Imperium is on if you act in such a contrary way?” Sarai said nothing. Speaking politics with a Primarch would be a battle she could not win, no matter how hard she tried. Better to leave Vulkan thinking things over than to get into a detrimental discussion.

But then, words such as these do tend to linger...

By now Sarai could see the man from before approaching, his guards and Cherubs following behind. “Apologies,” the man said. “But the Ultramarines are denying access to all non-Astartes craft until further notice.”

“I’m sorry?” Sarai asked. “Did you not hear that I am travelling with a Primarch and the Empress’ personal student?”

“The Ultramarines are refusing all craft, regardless of claimed authority,” the man said. “If you wish to speak with them, there is a six month delay before transportation can be authorized, and a five month queue for transitions.”

“You would make the Empress’ Student and a Primarch wait a year before they can seek an audience?!”

“I am sorry, but the Ultramarines are insistent. Any outside aircraft could be construed as a direct threat against the Chapter, and until further notice all travel is to be restricted to ground paths.” Sarai’s hands tightened. Dealing bureaucracy was just another part of living in the Imperium, but times like this... Were she not committed to avoiding the mistakes of the past, the man in front of Sarai would have his mind flayed and the request properly processed within the hour. She wanted to say more to plead her case before a heavy hand fell on her shoulder.

“I sense your anger,” Vulkan said. “Perhaps you would permit me to take command here.” Sarai released the tension in her hands, looking up at the Primarch as he gave her a reassuring smile. She nodded, stepping back while the Primarch approached the man. “Excuse me, but I do not believe I learned your name.”

“My... my name?” the man stammered. “Wh-why would you care for something so trivial, my lord?”

“A name is not a trivial thing, my friend,” Vulkan said, gently pushing aside a Cherub so he could stand next to the man. “And I have been away from the Imperium for so long, so it would help me acclimate to living among Mankind once more. So please, your name?”

“... L-Lucian, my lord.” the man said.

“A fine name, if I do say so myself.” Vulkan guided Lucian back towards the way he had originally come, his guards parting to allow the Primarch through. Unwilling to just stand idle while Vulkan wandered off, Sarai quickened her pace to keep up behind the group. “You have worked within this port for some time, have you not?”

“Um... Perhaps a decade or so as a senior magistrate.”

“I see. It takes great dedication to commit to such a position for so long, my friend Lucian. I am an artisan of the forge, you see, and being able to commit oneself to a singular project is a mark of a master, and those that achieve such mastery are well deserving of their rank and respect.”

“Oh... th-thank you, Lord Vulkan.” the man smoothed out a wrinkle in his robes before continuing. “I do try my best to work hard and perhaps stand out amongst the rabble.”

“Ah, but you are not flaunting your position as some would. Therefore, you are truly deserving of your status as a man of character.” Sarai was not sure if Vulkan was being generous in order to sway Lucian into authorizing their departure, or if he was being truly complimentary. ... I guess I am already close to being far gone if I have to ask that of Vulkan. By now a large throng of pilgrims and workers had formed up behind them, their murmurs and blessings reaching Sarai’s ears and causing her head to tingle. Her headband could hold off most of the errant thoughts of the masses, but there was still a chance one or two might get her to slip up.

“Now, is this your communication station?” Sarai shifted her thoughts. They had stopped outside a large building flanked by a number of men dressed similarly to Lucian’s guards. Vulkan regarded the structure for a moment before chuckling. “A mite small for me, but then I am no stranger to hardships. Come, friend, show me the way so I may speak with the Ultramarines myself.” the Primarch looked down at Sarai. “Miss Sarai, perhaps you might stay here for now?”

“Lord Vulkan,” Sarai started. “I think it would be best if I accompany you for the negotiations-”

“No, I think I can handle myself in this,” he said, giving her a smile. “Stay here, speak with the people perhaps. I think it would do you a world of good when it comes time to speak with Miss Tara again.” And I thought Twilight was bad. Sarai opened her mouth to object, but Vulkan had ushered the magistrate and his men inside and left Sarai with the crowd. She paused, turning to face the masses of hopeful pilgrims and curious soldiers that surrounded her. In a way she felt exposed, like when she had first been brought off the Black Ships and left to the mercy of the Inquisition and their trainers.

I will not fade. I will not run as I did before Celestia.

“If you have any questions,” she said. “Please be orderly about presenting them. Unlike Her Majesty I lack the knowledge and patience to address you all at once.”

“Then perhaps you would care to speak to one representative of Her Servants?” Sarai turned slightly to see a woman stepping out of the crowd. She was a regal sort, dressed in black armor and white robes adorned with a black chalice. On her left hip appeared to be an ornate rod of some kind, while a sword and pistol were clamped to her right. She wore a hood, though Sarai could see a few locks of silver hair poking out from beneath as the woman drew closer.

Moreover, Sarai saw an opportunity.

“Apologies, my lady,” she said, turning and giving a slight bow to the newcomer before continuing. “I did not see you among the crowds here.”

“It is not proper for a servant of the Empress to draw too much attention to herself, lest she succumb to pride and arrogance.” the woman said, returning the bow before offering a hand. “Annamaria Teresa of the Order of the Ebon Chalice. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Sarai.”

“Likewise,” Sarai replied, taking the Sister’s hand and giving it a shake. “I am surprised to see that there are other members of the Adepta Sororitas here.”

“My Preceptory was passing through on our way north, to cleanse a world of heretics that still pledge themselves to abominable xenos,” Sister Teresa explained. “I thought that a visit to Guilliman’s Shrine might help inspire some of our newer Sisters to greater heights of their faith.”

“A noble cause if I may say so,” So she holds some rank, then... I can leverage this well enough. “But then, I am surprised to see you here instead of up at the Shrine.” at this, Teresa frowned.

“Half of my Sisters have been ‘stationed’ there for a month due to these damned politics,” she grumbled. “I tell myself ‘this is all to test their resolve and their faith’, but those of us down here are getting restless. I had hoped this magistrate could allow me to speak with the Ultramarines to speed up their return, but... I suppose your needs outweigh mine in this regard.”

“If things are as serious as I am hearing, I would think the Ultramarines would like that as well,” Sarai continued. “But perhaps it is the Empress’ doing that we were able to meet in such circumstances, no? Once Lord Vulkan has granted access, I will see what I can do about getting your Sisters back to your care.”

“Will you?” for the briefest of moments the regal demeanor Teresa carried disappeared, but not for so long to be noticeable by anyone but Sarai. Perhaps it was merely her powers playing tricks, again. “That would be wonderful, Lady Sarai. Truly, your presence has been a miracle direct from the Empress Herself.”

“I wouldn’t go so far as to say that...” Sarai started, but Teresa could not be dissuaded.

“You returned one of the Empress’ Blessed Sons and you serve the Student. If you do not consider yourself blessed by Her Hand, then perhaps you need to spend more time in prayer.” Teresa paused. “Another favor, perhaps I could meet the Student. I have heard only rumors and hearsay concerning this woman that I would like to put to rest- even a number of my fellow Canonesses think she doesn’t actually exist.”

“Oh no, she’s real.” Unfortunately for my intended path to redemption. “And I am sure she would love to speak with you, time permitting.”

“You do me a great honor, Lady Olivier,” Teresa said, allowing herself a smile. “I must say, perhaps this delay truly is a blessing from Her Majesty. That my Preceptory would be in the place and time to witness a Primarch’s return and speak with the right hand of the Empress Herself-” she paused before letting out a short chuckle. “Oh, look at me now. I am like a Novice set before her trainers for the first time.”

“I am sure many of us will be like that in the days and months to come.” Sarai replied. It was more diplomatic than saying some would feel more like the prisoner standing before the executioner’s block.

“I am sure. Tell me, Lady Sarai, how did you come into the Student’s service?”

“The Empress asked me to find her after she had been lost to the Warp.” this drew a short nod from Teresa, allowing Sarai to continue. “When I found her, she had already recovered Primarch Vulkan, which honestly surprised me when I saw it.”

“I’m a veteran of many wars, and even I would be stunned by that I suppose,” Teresa replied. “This student gets more and more fascinating with every detail.” Just then, the door behind the two opened, Vulkan stepping out with a rather stunned looking Lucian following behind him.

“Good news, my friend.” he said, beaming down at Sarai. “I have just finished speaking with the Ultramarines, and they have agreed to allow us passage to their fortress.”

“Really?” Sarai asked. “That did not take too long.”

“The people of Ultramar must be proud that they have such efficient magistrates to run their daily lives,” Vulkan said, now directing his attention to Teresa. “And You? What is your name?”

“T-Teresa, my Lord,” the Canoness stammered, now resembling a scolded child more than a proud warrior of the Empress. “I am in command of a Preceptory of Sisters escorting pilgrims to the shrine.”

“I see.” Sarai could sense some of Vulkan’s cheer chilling, but not by much. “I suppose you wish to meet Miss Tara, then? Your fellows seem to hold her in a much greater esteem than even I do.”

“‘Fellows’, my lord?”

“The Student travels with a squadron of Sisters of the Martyred Lady,” Sarai explained. “I am of the Ordo Malleus, so the exact division of your Orders is not my strong suit, but I imagine they would love to speak with you as well.”

“Oh, of course.” Teresa nodded, though Sarai could detect a small hint of... Disappointment? Jealousy? “Well, I shall speak briefly, and then I will let you be on your way.”

“We are not in such a rush, Miss Teresa,” Vulkan said. “I managed to convince the Ultramarines to drop their silly restrictions, but not until tomorrow- I suppose there is only so much preparation they can carry out before our arrival. I am sure you will have plenty of time to speak with Miss Tara and her friends.”

“Oh...” the Canoness fidgeted for a moment. “Then perhaps you could escort me to the Student, that I may offer a formal invitation to her and her companions to join my Preceptory for our evening meal.”

“That sounds perfect to me,” Sarai said, giving a warm smile to the Canoness and the Primarch. “I am sure Tara would be delighted to speak with you and your Sisters.” Of course Twilight would, but then there were always more opportunities to be had in conversation with one of similar rank.

“Then it’s settled,” Vulkan said. “You two can go on ahead, though. I think there are a few things I would like to deal with first.” Sarai quirked an eyebrow at this, before following Vulakn’s gaze to the huddled masses surrounding them. He really is too good for the Imperium.

“As you command, Lord Vulkan,” Sarai replied, giving a short nod before she turned to Teresa. “Canoness, if you would come with me.”

“Of course,” Teresa nodded, falling in step behind Sarai as she made her way through the crowd. As they moved, Sarai cast a glance back to Vulkan, watching as the Primarch stepped forward and knelt to speak with those around him. She could not hear what they were saying, but the Primarch’s smile was unmistakeable- he was more than happy to be there, and ready to heal the souls of those that approached him.

And in a way, it was all thanks to Twilight that he had that chance. Sunset Shimmer would never have achieved that... She truly is worthy of being Celestia’s Student.

“Lady Olivier?” Sarai shook her head and looked back to Teresa. “I’m sorry, but you seem distracted.”

“Oh, just thinking of some matters,” Sarai replied. “Did you wish to ask me something?”

“I was going to ask what kind of woman this... ‘Tara’, was it? What kind of woman is she?”

“Tara is...” Sarai paused, trying to think of the right thing to say. “Tara is a bit sheltered, for lack of a better term. I’m sure others have called her trusting and even naïve, but there is an earnestness to her being that I feel defies such labels.”

“I see.” the Canoness nodded. “From the rumors I heard, the image in my mind was of something closer to the Empress Herself, a powerful figure that calmed hearts and banished the wicked with a word.”

“Really?”

“Rynn’s World is long in the past, but news travels,” Teresa replied. “From what I have heard, the Student even has a small cult on that planet dedicated to her. Apparently, they call her the ‘Twilight Maiden’.” Sarai froze, Teresa almost tripping over her as she came to a stop. That was the same name Velas said the Eldar attributed to her, how would the Rynnites know of it? Sarai was not so well acquainted with the manipulations of xenos, but killing their gods was always a duty of the Ordo Malleus- surely something like this would have come up.

How could I be so blind...?

“Inquisitor?” Teresa asked. “Is something the matter?”

“... No.” Sarai said, shaking her head. “Just... just a few other thoughts. I can explain later, after you have met the Student.”

“Oh... If you say so.”

Author's Note:

I completed a chapter less than three months after the last one? What madness is this?!

But in all seriousness, I'm doing much better now. No full time job, but those will come in time- for now, I'm getting back in the swing of things, making new friends and working out my new schedule. Soon enough, I'll be back to normal full time.

As always, thank you all for your continued support. Likes and comments are appreciated, and if I screwed something up please let me know.

Also, I suppose this is appropriate BGM for this and future chapters.

PreviousChapters Next