• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 2,311 Views, 72 Comments

Queen of Evil and Princess of Kindness - kurusagi16



Melodia, the queen of evil, was defeated long ago after trying to conqure the kingdom. And is traing her daughter, kind hearted Princess Fluttershy, to follow in her hoofsteps.

  • ...
3
 72
 2,311

Chapter 9: Action speaks louder than wishes

Chapter 9: Action speaks louder than wishes




Discord was becoming impatient. When he delivered the key to that mirror it told him to expect the book in due time. He was sick of being locked away in the castle (even if it was more spacious than being encased in stone). What’s more he was itching to cause some trouble. Not the usual little pranks he would cause for the princesses and staff, but full blown chaos.

The entire land of Equestria laid on the other side of the stone walls, waiting for him to use his chaotic magic at his disposal to do with as he pleased. He could turn the adorable woodland critters into hulking monsters, turn entire towns upside down, and bend reality as his will saw fit. But as close as it was, the barrier made it seem far away. It tempted him, teased him, every time he looked out the windows or saw the other ponies moving freely about the castle grounds. It was infuriating! And when He was infuriated, there was only one thing for Discord to do. Dump all his misery on somepony else and get a god laugh out of it in turn.

The only good thing about being trapped was that unlike his last prison, Discord had a hefty supply of ponies for him to mess with. His mind swarmed with innumerable thoughts of what kind of misfortune could befall the innocent ponies.
His first mischievous of the day was a unicorn princess named Midwinter Grace, who was adorning her dark blue mane with a golden ribbon. Discord snapped his paw and watched as the ribbon came to life and moved on its own accord. Snaking around the terrified unicorn and wrapping around her until she resembled a gaudy birthday present. Then, on Princess Wild Fire, he the pegasus’ wings turn into scaly dragon wings. It was deserving of one or two chuckles to see the look of shock on her face. He moved from pony to pony, turning things topsy-turvy on them.

He sneaked into the library and looked around for a good target. He grinned deviously when he spotted Rarity, attempting to study but taking a break to coif her fabulous mane. Discord chuckled as he snapped his talons. Rarity was at first shocked as she felt her mane move and rearrange itself on its own, but when she looked at her reflection in her hoof mirror, she let out an ear-piercing scream. The librarian shushed her. Rarity gaped in horror at what she saw. Her once beautiful purple locks had been turned a rancid sewer green! What’s worse, it’d been piled high in a twisted rat’s nest full of weeds, garbage and…were those worms?! Rarity galloped out of the library, sobbing and shouting at everypony not to look at her.

He chuckled into his paw at his handy work and was planning to move on when he was stopped by a loud ringing sound. He pulled out a watch from nowhere and saw that it read 2 o'clock.

"Oh dear, that time already?" The librarian shushed him. Ignoring him, Discord teleported back to his classroom.


Standing inside the Tea Etiquette classroom, Fluttershy was waiting for Discord to arrive for their tea session.

"I hope I haven't kept you waiting long." said Discord who suddenly appeared before Fluttershy in a crisp, blue waistcoat and wearing a monocle. Fluttershy giggled as he took out a teapot and poured out a table, tea foods, a couple teacups, and the tea itself into the cups.

"One lump or two?" asked Discord, holding two sugar tongs, one held one lump of sugar and the other held two.

"Two will be fine." replied Fluttershy, taking a seat at the table. Discord plopped the sugar and tongs into the the cup and swirled it around with his talon. Humming a tune to himself.

"You seem to be in a good mood." remarked Fluttershy as Discord set the cup down in front of her and took a seat in a large velvet arm chair.

"I was just letting off some steam." he said. Now tell me my dear, what's new with you?"

"Nothing much." she said.

"Really Fluttershy, I've told you about me, it's about time you tell me something about you."

"Well..." began Fluttershy. "...I like animals, especially butterflies. Oh, and bunnies!" Discord frowned.

"Something wrong?" asked Fluttershy.

"Let's just say, I don't really care for the little bouncers and leave it at that." said Discord, grimacing at a memory.

"Alright, well, I also like reading stories, father used to read storybooks to me and keep me company whenever I got scared." Fluttershy remembered the memory fondly, thinking of King Drake, and how he sat beside her on her canopy bed. Telling tales of dashing princes and beautiful princesses, of good and true love overcoming all evil.

"He was the greatest father I could ever want." said Fluttershy.

"A fine stallion I'm sure." said Discord, unimpressed. "What about your mother, what's she like?" Fluttershy froze. She looked down into her cup.

"Mother is...okay." she replied. Discord arched an eyebrow.

"Merely okay?" pressed Discord.

"She can be overbearing, stubborn, and when she loses her temper she can be very scary." she said.

"Doesn't sound like she'd be pleasant company." said Discord. Fluttershy shook her head.

"No, I suppose she wouldn't. But..."

"But?"

"Father used to tell me that mother was the nicest pony you'd ever meet. And at the same time, she seemed so sad and lonely." she said.

"Isn't that what happens in most marriages? Some stallion marries a seemingly sweet mare and discovers that she's a horrible monster." said Discord.

"It's not mother's fault!" Fluttershy defended. "She's been through a lot. She lost both her parents and no pony wanted to befriend her. And when father became ill, he told me that before he died, he wanted to see mother's true self. The mare he fell in love with and married. It was his greatest wish."

"Did he ever get his wish?" asked Discord.

"No. If anything, his passing made things worse for mother. Since then, I too have been hoping and wishing for mother to go back to being the mare that father talked about." Discord looked at her, his eyelids lowered at half mast.

"No disrespect to your dear old dad," said Discord. "But simply wishing is just ridiculous." Fluttershy looked up at him.

"Don't get me wrong, wishing for something is fine and all, but wishing alone won't get you anywhere. Whenever I want something for example, I simply get it myself." As if to emphasize this, he snapped his talons and made a dozen objects appear all around them. A crystal cruet, a dozen bags of basil, mince pies, scarves, zinnias, a voodoo doll that looked like her friend Twilight, a magic lamp, and more. With another snap they all disappeared to Celestia knows where.

"Of course in the rare instances where I'm not able to get what I want, I work to get it. My own way of course." he added. Fluttershy thought about it, he had a good point. Her mother worked to become the pony she was today, and nopony (other than Queen Celestia and Princess Luna) tried to stop her.

"Oh, I almost forgot to ask," said Discord. Bringing Fluttershy's attention back. "What do you think about the trip to Canterlot?" Fluttershy bit back her lip. Her mother's plan to have her steal the spell book flashed through her mind.

"It's nice." said Fluttershy. Discord could sense that something was up, but before he could press on the issue there was a loud pounding on the door.

"Just a minute!" he called out. Fluttershy let out a squeal as Discord shrank her and stuffed into the teapot.

"Wait here my dear." he said. Discord floated over to the door and opened to find a very disgruntled Twilight Sparkle glaring up at him.

"Princess Twilight! What a pleasant surprise." said Discord.

"Save it Discord." snapped Twilight. "I'm in no mood after what you've done." Discord looked at her as if she didn't know what she was referring to.

"Why whatever do you mean?" he asked.

"Don't play dumb, you know exactly what I mean! All those pranks you pulled on the princesses!" she exclaimed. Discord examined talons, not caring what Twilight had to say.

"And your point is" he asked. Twilight gritted her teeth and growled.

"The point is that you're going too far. It's one thing to prank during classes, but now you're tormenting everypony else." Discord rolled his eyes.

"And I should be worried about this how?" he asked.

"Unless you want to end up turning back into stone, you'll clean up your act." said Twilight.

"If it's such a big problem, Queen Celestia herself can take it up with me. Now if you excuse me, I have business to attend to. Ta-ta!" With that he slammed the door in Twilight's face. Discord took the teapot and turned it upside down. After a couple shakes, a full grown Fluttershy tumbled out. She arched an eyebrow at him.

"Blowing off steam, huh?" Discord laughed and smiled weakly.


Fluttershy managed to talk Twilight into going to the library to calm down after her talk with Discord. She needed to be alone for what she was going to do. She stood in front of the vanity mirror. She did her best to stand tall and appear confident.

"Mother!" she called. "I need to talk to you...please." Her mother appeared before her.

"What is it you wish to talk about?" asked Melodia. Fluttershy took a deep breath.

"It's about the plan mother, I don't want to do it." Melodia was silent, she didn't appear as angry as Fluttershy thought she would be. Instead, she looked at her intently. What Discord said made her realize something. If she wanted her mother to change, she needed to take action. Fluttershy decided to continue.

"I've always listened to you, done my best to please you and follow your orders. But...I don't want to rule Equestria mother. I will be queen one day, but I'll be the queen of our kingdom. I don't want to be the infamous queen you think I'm meant to be." Fluttershy was amazed at how confident she seemed to be. All the feelings she had over the years were just tumbling out.

"You can appeal to Queen Celestia, she could forgive you like she did Discord." said Fluttershy.

"You ask for much Fluttershy." said Queen Melodia. Fluttershy looked at the queen with her wide, pleading eyes.

"Please mother, you don't need to be evil. You can be the pony you once were." A moment of silenced passed between them.

"Very well." replied Melodia. Fluttershy was surprised. Did she hear right?

"R-really?" asked Fluttershy. Melodia nodded.

"If it's what you truly want, then who am I to stop you? All any mother wants is her child's happiness, and so long as this makes you happy, I'll gladly stand aside." Melodia paused and added, "However, you still might want to consider getting that spell book."

"Mother..."

"Not for me, for that Draconequus you seem to care for." Fluttershy was confused by this.

"Huh?"

"Surely you've noticed how he's never set paw, claw, or cloven hoof outside this castle." Now that she thought about, she hadn't seen him or heard anypony complain about him outside the castle.

"Like me, he too is imprisoned by a barrier."

"Goodness."

"You consider him your friend, correct?" asked Melodia. Fluttershy nodded.

"Then why not do something to thank him for his friendship? By giving what he wants most of all, his freedom."

"B-but Queen Celestia..." Fluttershy stammered. Melodia waved her hoof dismissively.

"Fluttershy, you know as well as I do that he's not the same Draconequus as told in those stories. If you are really his best and only friend, then you'll want to do what it takes to see him happy. And if he does get out of control, Celestia can handle it." Fluttershy was still unsure.

"If what you say is true..."

"It is."

"Then how do I know you won't keep the book for yourself?"

"You have my word as a queen and as your mother, that I'll give the spell book to your friend, and I swear that I won't go back on my word." Fluttershy sighed. Her mother seemed to be telling the truth, and appeared quite serious.

"Alright, for my friend, I'll do it." she said. 'I know first hoof what it's like to feel trapped.' she thought to herself. "Promise me something mother. Once I get the book, you'll make amends with Queen Celestia, and ask her to give you a second chance." Her mother said nothing before replying, "I promise." Fluttershy smiled lightly.

"Thank you mother. You won't regret this." Fluttershy turned and left the room, not noticing the sinister smile that spread onto Melodia's face.

"Oh, I know I won't."

Author's Note:

Yeah, as if it would be that easy to convince Melodia not to be evil. Next chapter, we go to Canterlot!