• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 2,308 Views, 72 Comments

Queen of Evil and Princess of Kindness - kurusagi16



Melodia, the queen of evil, was defeated long ago after trying to conqure the kingdom. And is traing her daughter, kind hearted Princess Fluttershy, to follow in her hoofsteps.

  • ...
3
 72
 2,308

Chapter 5: Trials, teachers, and Teapots

Chapter 5: Trials, teachers, and Teapots



There was a blissful peace as Princesses Twilight and Fluttershy slept soundly in their comfortable beds. That peace was shattered by the blaring noise of ten instruments. Both girls awoke with a start, shrieking as the saw a pink, magenta maned pony bouncing up and down as she played all the instruments as a one pony band.

"Rise and shine sleepyheads!" she sang out. "It's time to get up and get ready for school. Have a wonderful, special, fantabulous day!" With that, the pink pony bounced out of the room and over to the next one to wake its inhabitants.

"What just happened?" asked a groggy and confused Twilight, who rubbed her eyes. Fluttershy let out a soft yawn.

"I think that was...our wake up call?" she said. Twilight groaned.

"I hope we're not gonna have to wake up like that every morning." Twilight stretched out her wings and made her way to the vanity between the two sides of her room to brush out her mane.

"Me too, I don't think could handle getting startled by that loud music every morning." said Fluttershy. Once they made themselves presentable, tiaras and all, they headed down to breakfast, which, judging by the wafting smells, consisted of oat and blueberry pancakes, cinnamon rolls, and apple muffins.

"I've been reading up on what I might need to know for Advanced Magic last night. My favorite being the 'Feats of Starswirl the Bearded.'" said Twilight excitedly. "I wonder if we'll get to learn any of his famous spells." Fluttershy had tried hard not to think about classes too much. The only schooling she ever had was with her mother, and if the lessons were anything like her mother's, then she'd rather be back home. 'Stop being foolish.' she told herself. 'You don't know for sure if the classes are bad. And the teachers themselves are sure to be much nicer and more understanding than mother.' Fluttershy ate her apple muffin, hoping to banish the butterflies that were swarming around in her stomach.


Fluttershy had enjoyed her first two classes more than she thought, Princess Cadence had been very nice and Lady Sassy Saddles looked divine in her French haute couture. She also made another possible friend, the white unicorn from the other day, Princess Rarity. They got better acquainted in their Royal Etiquette lesson, where they practiced polite conversation with each other. Of course, Rarity did most of the talking while Fluttershy quietly listened, which suited her just fine.

Now it was time for Equestrian History, as she entered the room, Fluttershy shifted uncomfortably as Princess Luna watched her take her seat. Like her sister, Princess Luna's regal stature commanded respect. She looked out at her students.

"Dear students," said Luna. "I'm pleased to be teaching you our great history. Over many moons, pony kings and queens have faced against many hardships and evils." She made her way behind her desk. "Such as the changeling queen, Chrysalis, the wicked unicorn king, Sombra..." Luna's dark eyes met Fluttershy's teal eyes, giving her a venomous look. "...and the Queen of Evil, just to name a few." Fluttershy gulped and sank in her desk. It was clear that before she even met her that Princess Luna didn't trust her one bit.

Using her magic, Princess Luna passed out thick text books to each princess.

"We shall begin with the founding of Equestria, a story I'm sure many of you ponies have heard during Hearth's warming, so we shall keep it short." Princess Luna lectured about how not long after the founding of Equestria, the royal sisters worked together to unite the kingdoms and establish peace between all ponykind. Now and then, Princess Luna would look over at Fluttershy, who shrank under her gaze. As if to tell her, 'I'm watching you.' Not only did she have her mother watching over her, but Princess Luna too!

Fluttershy was relieved when class was finally over and it was time for lunch. She galloped out of there before Luna could stop her and scare her anymore. Not unlike her mother's looks of disapproval and scolding whenever she failed to meet her expectations. Even though she wasn't at home, it seemed like some things would never change.


Lady Spitfire was a member of a noble band of knights called the Wonderbolts. She made it a point to address the princesses that she took no pleasure in being called a 'lady', but digressed that regardless whether or not she was a lady, it didn't affect her abilities in the field. With her was a cyan pegasus with a rainbow colored mane. Spitfire introduced her as Squire Rainbow Dash, who was training to join the Wonderbolts and would be assisting her with the lessons.

"We'll be splitting into two groups," said Spitfire. "Pegasi will be practicing their flying, and unicorns and earth ponies will be running laps. Let's go!" The pegasi princesses took to the air and perched on a cloud.

"You'll all run through this obstacle course till you're good enough to run it with your eyes closed. Rainbow Dash here will demonstrate." said Spitfire.

"Watch and learn." said Rainbow Dash. Faster than lightening, she zipped through the course with little to no effort. Rainbow let out a yawn as she finished.

"See, nothing to it." The princesses applauded Rainbow who took in their complements. Each princess went through the course, all except Fluttershy. She raised her hoof.

"Um, Lady Spitfire? I was wondering if I could try something a bit easier, I'm not a strong flier." Spitfire shook her head.

"Come on, you're a pegasus for Celestia's sake! You'll be fine."

"B-but..." Spitfire didn't listen and nudged Fluttershy off the cloud. Fluttershy shrieked in fear, wildly flapping her wings before she hit the ground. Flying up to the obstacle course, she slowly but surely maneuvered through it.

"Pick up the pace Princess!" Spitfire called out to Fluttershy.

"I got this." said Rainbow. She flapped over to Fluttershy.

"Everything okay there?" she asked. Fluttershy nodded.

"I'm fine." said Fluttershy.

"Come on, there's nothing to worry about. It's not like you'll get hurt or anything."

"But what if my wings tire out and I fall?" asked Fluttershy worriedly. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

"Look, if by some chance you do fall, I'll make sure to catch you. Now are you gonna pick up the pace or not?" Fluttershy calmed herself with a deep breath and sped up a little, below her, Rainbow Dash hovered to catch her. After a while, Fluttershy grew a bit more confident and was flying at the same speed as the other princesses. She looked down to see if Rainbow Dash was getting tired from hovering under her, only to discover that Rainbow was gone. She looked around to see Rainbow Dash, grinning and waving at her from a cloud perch. At first she was upset that Rainbow Dash had tricked her, but she couldn't help but be a little proud of herself. She'd flown by herself, without anypony to help her.


It was the last class of the day, and Fluttershy wondered what sort of pony Professor Discord would be like. Hopefully not a threatening as Princess Luna. Fluttershy was startled, along with everypony else as she entered the room. The walls and floors had been sloppily painted with zig-zags, polka dots, and random splotches. Pictures were hung crookedly on the walls, books were staked up on the ceiling and desk strewn with all matter of odds and ends stood in front of the desks. The teacher was no where in sight.

"What in Equestria is all this?" Twilight wondered aloud. Suddenly, disembodied laughter filled the air. Everypony looked around wildly for the source. In a bright flash, a mismatched creature appeared before them. It had the head of a pony, a serpentine body, deer and goat antlers, a lion paw and eagle claw, and a bunch of other inter-species parts. The ponies were taken aback by the sudden appearance of this creature.

"Good afternoon, my little ponies." he said. "If you could see the looks on your faces, simply priceless!" Twilight looked at him.

"I take it you're Discord." she said. A graduation cap and diploma appeared on Twilight as Discord applauded and said in a mocking tone. "Very good Princess know it all. Celestia herself would be proud." Twilight narrowed her eyes at him. Clearly unimpressed. With a snap of his talons, everypony found themselves seated in the desks.

"Now then, the sooner we get on with the lesson, the sooner we can finish." said Discord. "For our first lesson of Tea Etiquette, you lovely ladies will be making me a cup of tea."

"You can't be serious." said a white unicorn with a pink mane and a Fleur de lis cutie mark.

"Usually I'm not one for being serious, but this case I'm afraid I am, miss...?"

"Princess Fleur de lis," said the unicorn. "Making tea is for servants." Discord gave her a sly smirk.

"Well, your highness, consider this as a chance to do something for yourself for once in your life." Fleur's cheeks turned red with anger and embarrassment, but kept quiet. Taking out a large alarm clock, discord wound it up.

"When the timer runs out, it'll be time for me to judged you all. And I'll take pleasure in judging you harshly and unfairly." The princesses headed toward the cabinet to get the tea ware, but as they opened the cabinet door, teapots and teacups flew out, buzzing around the girls' heads.

"Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the tea set is a bit...precocious among other ponies." said Discord with a chuckle.

"You did it on purpose!" cried Twilight, swatting away a sugar bowl wielding a teaspoon. Discord shrugged as thoough it wasn't his problem, and instead read an upside down book, tuning out the ponies' shrieks.

Fluttershy caught hold of a teapot and stroked it as though it were an animal, the teapot calmed down and let out a happy whistle through its spout.

"There, that's a good teapot." said Fluttershy in a soft tone. "Would you help me? If it's not too much trouble." The teapot whistled happily. Fluttershy set the pot on her desk. "Now wait here while I get some more help." Fluttershy got the rest of the needed tea supplies lined up on her desk, eager to help. Twilight had cast a stun spell on the rest of the tea ware, making it easier for the rest of the ponies to handle them.

"Now, what kind of tea should we make?" she wondered. She looked over at Discord. The odd creature was making all sorts of shapes from cats cradle (even some that would be impossible for normal ponies to form). When she was little, one of the few things Fluttershy's parents agreed on was tea, the three of them would have little tea parties together up until her father died. King Drake had told his daughter that tea should complement the drinker. If they were in a foul mood, then the tea should be made to lighten their spirits and make them feel better.

After careful thinking, Fluttershy decided to try an interesting blend for a interesting 'pony'. From the cupboard, she grabbed a bag of flowering tea. The teapot whistled a tune as it brewed the tea inside. She poured the tea into a dainty little teacup and mixed in a spoonful of wild clover honey and a skosh of chocolate milk (she added this after noticing him drinking a glass of it). The timer let out a loud rooster crow.

"Time's up! Let's see how you've failed." said Discord. Discord went to each desk, inspecting the cups and taking tentative sips from them. A couple the princesses had accidentally opened the teabags and poured them into the pot, leaving tea leaves floating on the surface. He smiled at the ponies' disappointed faces as he gave them Fs, Ds, and Cs. He sipped from Twilight's cup, grumbling under his breath.

"It's not bad but not good either. A-, for being well brewed but lacking creativity." he said.

"He just wishes he could fail me." Twilight whispered to Fluttershy. Fluttershy's was the last cup, Discord took a sip from it and looked down at her with his eye and red mismatched eyes.

"Tell me my dear, have you ever made tea before?" he asked.

"Only a little." said Fluttershy. Discord frowned I'm afraid I won't be failing you, not too bad a blend." Fluttershy received an A- as well.

"Thank you." said Fluttershy. Discord ignored her and flapped his dragon and pegasus wings as he made his way to his desk. The final bell rang out.

"That's all the time we have for today." he said. "But I suggest that tonight you all practice your tea making skills." Fluttershy thanked her tea set for their help and left with Twilight.

Discord frowned to himself. He wasn't too pleased with the position he found himself in. Gracious Queen Celestia, had taken it upon herself to offer him a second chance, freeing him from his boring, uncomfortable stone prison. Saying that if he could prove himself, Queen Celestia would give Discord his freedom. When he went along with Celestia's 'little game', he didn't recall signing up to be a teacher to a bunch of prissy, spoiled princesses. Not to mention that Celestia had restricted most of his magic to keep him from causing too much trouble. For now, he'd play along with Celestia, but he'd find a way to regain all his chaotic power, and spread his chaos over Equestria once more.

Discord felt a cold, strange chill run down his spine. Like somepony was watching him. He whirled around to face a mirror on the wall. Nothing about it seemed unnerving or out of place. He stroked his white goatee with his lion paw.

"How peculiar." he muttered to himself. He dismissed the chills as being a figment of his overactive imagination. But sure enough, on the other side of the glass, somepony was watching him. A pony who laughed malevolently.

Author's Note:

Gee, I wonder who could possibly be the pony in the mirror. Tune in next time to see what happens next.