• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 2,311 Views, 72 Comments

Queen of Evil and Princess of Kindness - kurusagi16



Melodia, the queen of evil, was defeated long ago after trying to conqure the kingdom. And is traing her daughter, kind hearted Princess Fluttershy, to follow in her hoofsteps.

  • ...
3
 72
 2,311

Chapter 13: A little kindness and a little chaos

Chapter 13: A little kindness and a little chaos



Discord was both surprised and disappointed as he stole a couple glances at Fluttershy during his lesson. After he finished completing the spell that would break the barrier, he'd found out there was some kind of commotion during lunch. He couldn't believe it when he'd heard that it was not only Fluttershy that caused it, but that she also possessed magic. Magic! He also heard there was a large argument between the rest of the teachers and Queen Celestia. All this delightful chaos and confusion and he missed it! How was it that he was the last to know?! He cursed under his breath over not having been there, but pushed that disappointment aside. He needed to have a word with the pegasus princess.

As the bell rang, signaling the end of school, Discord pulled Fluttershy back with his magic.

"A quick word with you my dear." said Discord, conjuring his desk chair behind him where he promptly sat. Fluttershy was momentarily surprised before she guessed what this was about.

"You must've heard about what happened at lunch, like everypony else." she said embarrassed.

"Yes, that incident where you performed magic. And here I thought I knew all there was to know about you, but now I find out you've been keeping secrets from me."

"I'm sure you have your own secrets too." Fluttershy hid half her face behind her mane. "Besides, even if I had told you, it wouldn't do me any good." Discord scooted closer to her.

"It would've been better to have heard it though from you instead of somepony else." he retorted. "I would've loved to see how flustered Celestia was, or the look on all those princesses' faces when you showed them who's boss." As he said this, he thought to himself, 'I could have helped.' He frowned to himself. Where the heck did that come from?

"You're right." said Fluttershy. Discord looked at her, not sure if he heard right. "I should've told you, I should've told my friends, and everypony else to begin with. Why I didn't...I don't know, maybe I was just doing as mother said or..." She looked up into Discord's face, her eyes a touch watery.

"I was afraid what everypony would think once they found out who I was, what I can do. That all they'd see is my mother and all she's done instead of me." Discord felt a strange twinge in his chest as he looked into those doe eyes filled with sadness and worry. Discord took her hoof with his lion paw and wrapped his long snake tail around her, in a comforting gesture.

"Don't cry my dear, tears don't suit you at all. As to those other ponies, who cares what they think? I never do." he put his eagle claw to his chest, looking quite proud of that fact, giving her a toothy grin.

"And besides, there are far worse things a pony can do to receive such disdain that they are giving you, it'll all blow over before you know it." Fluttershy gave him a small hug and smiled at him.

"Thank you Discord, that means a lot to me." Discord felt another strange feeling, this time it was nice and warm. He smiled back.

"Think nothing of it my dear."


Fluttershy looked at the piece of paper on the table, directing her concentration on it. That concentration was broken by Pinkie Pie who burst in.

"What are you girls up to?"

"Pinkie!"

"What?" asked Pinkie, not sure what she did wrong.

"It's okay Twilight, I don't think it was working anyway." said Fluttershy.

"You need to stop being so hard on yourself. Confidence is one of the keys to practicing magic."

"Ooh! You're doing magic?" Pinkie smiled ecstatically. "What kind are you doing? Can you make the kind Discord makes? How do you do magic? Do you say magic words? Do you...?" Twilight stuffed a large muffin into Pinkie's mouth, which she'd taken to having a few nearby for instances like this. Especially with Pinkie popping up all the time.

"It's just a simple levitation spell." said Twilight. "And no, Fluttershy doesn't say any words to perform her magic."

"I use my eyes." said Fluttershy. Pinkie finished off the cupcake.

"Your eyes?"

"They glow, or the irises glow when I cast a spell. But I can only do a few simple spells. It's nothing like the stuff Twilight can do. Or anypony else with magic."

"You just need more practice, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time." Twilight said encouragingly. Pinkie's let out a gasp as she had a sudden idea.

"What about your mom?" Twilight and Fluttershy stared at her.

"You're not serious are you?"

"Hear me out, Fluttershy's mom used to be nice right?"

"Right...."

"Yes."

"So, what did your mom do to learn magic when she was young and not all crazy and evil and wanting to takeover and make everypony miserable." She looked over at Fluttershy. "Oops, sorry. Forget I said that last part." Twilight tapped her chin thoughtfully.

"You have a good point, minus the last part, maybe if we know how Queen Melodia trained it could help." She turned to Fluttershy.

"Did your mother ever tell you about how she learned to control her powers?"

"Only a little bit, like how our magic is connected to the state of our hearts. If our hearts are in turmoil or are leaning toward darkness, the magic becomes weaker and eventually turns into black magic. That's why I never really practiced, black magic always seemed...terrifying." she looked down at the floor. Twilight eyed her intently.

"It must've been very difficult for you."

"It was, on one hoof I tried to make her proud, but on the other, I didn't want to become corrupted like her. Father told me how mother became an entirely different pony altogether when her magic turned."

"I've been wondering about that, how did your mother and father ever get together?" asked Twilight.

"Ooh, story time!" cheered Pinkie Pie. She made a chair out of Twilight's pillow from the bed and sat with eager anticipation to hear the story. Fluttershy was a bit hesitant but gave in and told them.

"When mother was a filly, it was arranged by her father, my grandpa, and my father's parents that the two ponies meet. They were hoping to unite their kingdoms through the marriage of their children. Father told me how nervous mother was when they first met." Fluttershy smiled thinking of the sweet story.

"He tried to impress her by showing how fast he could climb up a tree in the castle garden. He ended up falling out when he neared the top. Father had broken his wing in an accident and was still recovering when he visited, so he wasn't able to save himself when he fell. But, mother used her magic to stop him in midair and lower him to safety."

"She saved him?"

Fluttershy nodded. "Father told me about how mother scolded him for doing such a dangerous and stupid stunt, even if it was for her. They both became good friends after that...until his parents found out about mother's magic. Like everypony else who found out, they became wary of her, and decided not to let their son marry such a strange pony. Father waited for mother though, and when they married, he stayed by her side. No matter what happened he stayed with her." Fluttershy smiled at Pinkie and Twilight.

"And that's the story."

"Aw, that's sooo cute!" Pinkie squealed.

"It's a shame she didn't return his love."

"Father liked to think that somehow, mother did love him, in her own strange way. That deep down was the filly that helped the foolish colt that almost fell out of the tree."

"Pinkie!" called the voice of one of the servant ponies.

"Whoops! My break's over, see you later girls!" Pinkie dashed out of the room.

"It's good to see that Pinkie will continue to keep things random around here." said Twilight chuckling. "It sounds to me that your magic follows strongly on emotion. So maybe, if you're confident while concentrate, the spells will work." Fluttershy wasn't sure if what she said would work, but it was worth a shot. She closed her eyes and reached into herself, calling on the magic that slept within her, waiting and wanting to be used for whatever its wielder wished. 'Rise....float....lift for me...' she willed. She could feel the usual tingling she felt in her eyes when she cast spells (or attempted to). She opened her eyes and looked down at the piece of paper. It hadn't budged ever an inch. She sighed.

"It didn't work." she said.

"I beg to differ." said Twilight. Fluttershy lifted her head and saw that Twilight had been levitated into the air and was dangling upside down. She wasn't amused.

"We're gonna need a lot more practice."


Word spread fast that Princess Twilight Sparkle was teaching Princess Fluttershy how to use her magic.

"Is she crazy?"

"We're all doomed!"

"What is she thinking?!"

"I knew I should've stayed home. I'm better off with my insufferable tutors than one, no, two magic wielding maniacs." Needless to say, nopony was too happy about it. Except of course Fluttershy's friends, who came to her defense whenever somepony bad mouthed about her. Fluttershy had gotten used to her powers, she still had a bit of difficulty with casting spells and would break concentration after long periods of time, but she was getting better. In History, when Princess Luna had asked Fluttershy to pass out papers, Fluttershy had used to magic to assist. The princesses let out cries of fright, worrying that she'd curse them or something. Princess Luna however merely raised an eyebrow and told her to pass it out by hoof next time. The princess of the night had noticeably eased up on Fluttershy, which made her both relieved and confused. Why was she acting this way? Fluttershy decided that it was about time she asked. She stayed after the class left and walked up to the alicorn.

"Um...Princess Luna?"

"Yes, what is it?" Fluttershy flinched a little, she still felt anxious around the princess. She ignored those feelings and asked her question.

"I was wondering why, you've been so nice to me, after...after..."

"After I've acted so cold toward you?" Fluttershy nodded.

"When you first arrived, I admit that I only saw your mother whenever I looked at you. That you were waiting to strike and betray my sister's trust." Fluttershy gulped.

"However, I soon saw...that I was wrong. My sister was close to Melodia, and I too cared for her, though I'd never let her or Celestia know about it. Mistake on my part maybe." Luna became solemn, her eyes shining. "You are nothing like the Melodia who attacked me and my sister. Who fell victim to black magic." As she looked back at Fluttershy, her gaze steely once more.

"However, if proven otherwise, I shall not hesitate to do what must be done to protect the students and my sister. Remember that." Fluttershy backed away and nodded, leaving the alicorn alone. Luna heaved a sigh. Then she heard somepony breathing behind her.

"Show yourself Discord." she growled. Discord materialized, a smile on his face.

"My, my, I would never think you'd hold a grudge so strong over somepony's daughter."

"And I take it you were spying on me?"

"I can neither confirm nor deny whom I may or not have been spying on. If I were. I just happened to over hear that curios conversation between you and Fluttershy. Nothing more." Luna gave him a curious look.

"Oh really? None of it stems from your little friendship with the pony?" Discord's smile faded.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Nearly everypony knows that you two have those get togethers, so there's no point in hiding it." Discord stuck out his tongue defiantly.

"Shouldn't you be off brooding in a corner or something?"

"Shouldn't you be getting back to your class?" retorted Luna. Discord left, but not before leaving all the desks up on the ceiling. Luna looked up at the rearrangement and frowned at it.

"I shall have to consult Celestia about keeping Discord from entering the other classrooms as he pleases."


"Today dear princesses, we'll be learning an important factor of attending or throwing a tea party." said Discord, looking out at the students from his desk. He snapped his talons and in an instant, all the ponies were paired up and seated at different tables that weren't there before. Upon them was a lovely spread of tea foods.

"You'll be learning to pull through whatever situation I decide to throw at you." Fluttershy had been told ahead of time by him to bring an umbrella to this class, and now she was starting to understand why. She gripped it at her side, so she could open it up as quickly as possible.

"Begin!" The princesses began to talk and help themselves to the food, as they were enjoying themselves, clouds began to form above their heads. Fluttershy opened up her umbrella just in time as torrents of water came crashing down. The princesses complained and cried as they were soaked. Twilight exhaled a sigh of relief for having casted a shield around herself to keep her from getting wet.

"Whew! That was clo-Ow!" Twilight was cut off guard when an eclair hit her across the cheek. She looked over to see that Discord was throwing pastries at the other princesses too. Fluttershy wasn't a fan of fighting, but she decided to try something new with her magic. Lifting up a soggy scone, she flung it at Discord as he was laughing, some of it went into his mouth. Fluttershy giggled a little. She knew it was wrong for her to do, but it was a little funny to see Discord stopped mid-laugh by wet food. Discord looked around for the perpetrator that dared to throw food back. When he saw it was Fluttershy he surprised, that surprise faded into a sly smirk.

"If that's how you want to play my dear, the bring it on." Piles of pastries appeared in front of everypony.

"FOOD FIGHT!" In all directions, a huge mess of pastries took to the air. It appeared that they all forgot about the lesson, or that they were in class, as each of them flung the deserts to other tables. By the time the fight was over, Twilight and Fluttershy were still the only ponies dry and clean, thanks to help of some shield magic they used together.

"That was excellent!" cried Discord. He looked quite pleased by the mess of things and the disgruntled princesses.

"For surviving a food fight and a freak storm and remaining relatively unscathed, Princesses Twilight and Fluttershy both pass." He leaned over and whispered to Fluttershy.

"Couldn't have started a better food fight myself." Fluttershy blushed a light pink, unsure whether to be flattered or embarrassed by his words. The bell rang and the princesses trudged out, grumbling over the state they were in and how they even got involved in that pointless fight.

"An lovely bit of chaos you caused Fluttershy, I think I'm rubbing off on you." Fluttershy raised an eyebrow as she smiled at him.

"I could say the same to you." Discord was puzzled by this, seeing his confusion Fluttershy explained.

"You've been so nice to me, giving me advice and just being there when I feel sad. You act like you don't care, but in all honesty I think you do." Discord was stunned, a warm smile appearing on his face.

"Well said,my dear. Though, a little food for thought, next time you might want to use something more tasteful than scones." A glint came into his eye as he began to think of nice bit of mischief he could cause.

"Then again, I wouldn't mind using it on a couple of ponies..."

"Discord, it was a one time thing. I don't plan on doing it again."

"Of course not." he winked at her as if she did consider doing it again.

"I should get going." said Fluttershy, her face growing a touch warm.

"I look forward to our next get together." he called out. He smiled as she left. She really was a sweet girl, not to mention the first to get close to actually befriending him. He began to wonder to himself what it would be like if the two of them were together for something other than their tea sessions. Like a picnic, or light dinner. Talking and laughing as always. He was pulled out of these thoughts by a loud knock. He opened the door and came face to face with Queen Celestia.

"Ah, Celestia, what brings you here?" She just looked at him with her usual boring, serious expression.

"We need to talk."

Author's Note:

Sorry I didn't have Discord in the last chapter. I hope this makes up for it. I plan on having him in the next couple or so chapters. Also, I hope you like the backstory for King Drake and Queen Melodia. When I finished off the chapter, I realized how the backstory is a touch similar to a certain mlp villain comic in the rystal cay mpire eay. Not intentional, just sorta happened.

Discord and Fluttershy friendship shall grow!