• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 2,302 Views, 72 Comments

Queen of Evil and Princess of Kindness - kurusagi16



Melodia, the queen of evil, was defeated long ago after trying to conqure the kingdom. And is traing her daughter, kind hearted Princess Fluttershy, to follow in her hoofsteps.

  • ...
3
 72
 2,302

Chapter 8: Tested

Chapter 8: Tested



Queen Celestia was in her office, sifting through the reports made by teachers on the students' progression with their classwork and paperwork sent over from her castle when she heard somepony knock three times on the door. Celestia lifted her head toward the sound.

“Come in.” she said. A red carpet rolled itself out and stopped in front of her desk. Discord sashayed in, a devilish smile on his face.

“Good evening your highness.” He said, tipping a top hat that he conjured from thin air. A thin smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

“Ah, Discord. What can I do for you?” asked Celestia.

“Oh, nothing much, I just came to pay my respects to our lovely ruler.” Discord said nonchalantly. A bouquet of flowers appeared and he held it out to her.

“How flattering.” said Celestia. Using her magic, she took the bouquet and sniffed the small blossoms.

“But since you asked…” said Discord. Celestia mentally rolled her eyes. When it came to Discord, he so rarely got to the point.

“I was thinking, those students of yours have been so nauseatingly perfect, that they deserve a reward of sorts.” Celestia tapped her chin thoughtfully.

“I suppose so. What did you have in mind?” Discord stroked his white goatee with his lion paw, appearing to be thinking carefully about it when he clearly had something in mind.

“Let’s see…I know, why not a trip to Canterlot Castle? I’m sure there are all sorts of boorish and educational what not they can learn while there.” he said. Celestia's eyebrows rose in surprise.

“That’s... actually a good idea." she said, her eyes looking at him suspiciously. "It’s hardly like you to suggest something so helpful.” Discord crossed his arms over his chest in a defiant manner.

“I’ll have you know that I can be quite helpful…when I choose to be.” said Discord. Queen Celestia continued to look at him with suspicion, but shrugged it off. She couldn't see any harm or any reason in rejecting Discord's request.

“I’ll need to discuss this with Luna, but it sounds like a wonderful idea." said Celestia. "Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some paperwork to do.” Discord bowed low to her.
“Of course.” he said. And disappeared in a white flash of light.


Discord grinned to himself, lifting up a sun-gold key in laid with amethysts.

“Hmph, that was much easier than I thought.” he muttered. "Now to see that mirror and finally get to leaving this place."


“You can’t be serious!” said Twilight incredulously. It had been two weeks or so since her roommate’s detention with Discord, during which Fluttershy somehow got it in her head that not only was he nicer than he seemed, but that the two of them were friends! Sure, she was able to befriend her, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie, but this was the Lord of Chaos for Celestia’s sake.

“You do remember all the things he’s done to Equestria right?” asked Twilight. On the other side of the room, Fluttershy was arranging a vase full of flowers on her nightstand.

“Of course I do, but that’s all in the past." said Fluttershy. She turned to Twilight. "You girls are being a bit too hard on him. He can be a real sweetheart once you get to know him.” A small sincere smile on her face. Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, I’m sure he is.” Twilight muttered sarcastically.

“You should stop by for one of our tea sessions, I think you’d like it.” Twilight frowned, not as eager of the idea as her friend.

“I’ll pass thank you.”

The door slammed open and Pinkie Pie sped in, grabbing Twilight by her shoulders. Fluttershy stood there in shock at the sudden arrival of the pink pony.

“Have you heard the news?!” asked Pinkie Pie. Twilight looked at her with a puzzled expression.

“Uh…what news?” asked Twilight, trying to figure out what Pinkie was talking about. Which at times could be a bit difficult. Pinkie's eyes widened wider than Twilight could ever think possible, gasping loudly.

“What news? What news?!" Pinkie was about to say the news when her expression went blank and she started to think to herself. "Huh, I forgot.” she said. Twilight let out a groan.

“Wait! I remember now! Queen Celestia has a big important announcement for everypony.” said Pinkie excitedly. Twilight lifted her head, her interest now captured.

“What kind of announcement?” Twilight asked.

“I just said, an important announcement.” she declared as though it were obvious.

“Yes, but what’s it about?” asked Twilight, trying to pry more information from her. Pinkie merely shrugged.

“How should I know? I’m just the messenger.” Twilight face hoofed herself and Fluttershy giggled a little.

“Don’t just sit there, everypony is gathering in the foyer. Come on!” cried Pinkie Pie, bouncing into the hall and toward the stairs.


The foyer was filled with both students and teachers, Twilight and the girls were gathered together, waiting with the rest of them to hear what the announcement was about. Queen Celestia called for attention and began to speak.

“My dear students, many of you are progressing well in your studies. As such, your hard work won’t go unrewarded." Whispers spread amongst the princesses as to what the award could be.

"I hope it's a party." whispered Pinkie, rubbing her hooves together. Celestia continued.

"The princesses with highest grades will be given the chance to visit Canterlot castle. Princess Luna has offered to guide and chaperon you during this trip." A chorus of cheers and groans filled the air. Canterlot was one of many bustling, must see places in Equestria. The ponies with low grades gave envious looks at the cheering princesses. Princess Luna ushered for silence.

"The trip will be held at the end of the week, those of you who wish to improve upon or are lagging behind in your studies have a chance to do so. Good luck everypony." Twilight was squealing and jumping almost as much as Pinkie Pie.

"This is fantastic!" exclaimed Twilight. Rarity sighed dreamily.

"I've always dreamed of going to Canterlot." said Rarity, looking on as she began to fantasize. "The high end fashions, the sophistication..."

"The fact that you can't go because of your poor grades." Applejack interjected. Rarity shot her a look.

"Alright so I"m a little behind in turning in my homework, I still have until the end of the week to take care of all that. And thankfully I happen to work well under pressure." She said, lifting her head into the air. Twilight managed to calm down enough to stop jumping.

"This is an amazing opportunity. I can't wait to see the Canterlot archives, maybe we'll get a chance to see the Starswirl the Bearded wing!"

"Twilight, darling," said Rarity. "I say this in the nicest way possible, but could you try taking your head out of books and learning for once?"

"Ah, don't listen to her Twilight." said Applejack. "She could do with putting her head in a book."

"Hey!" cried Rarity.

"Wait a second!" said Pinkie. The girls turned their heads toward her. "Where's Fluttershy?" That's when they all realized that Fluttershy was nowhere to be seen.

"She must've went back to the dorm room." said Twilight. "I hope she's alright."

"I'm sure she's fine. Probably forgot something, that's all." said Applejack.


As soon as Celestia had finished her announcement, Fluttershy heard a voice, faintly whispering in her ear.

Fluttershy.

Fluttershy followed it back to her dorm where she found her mother waiting for her in the vanity mirror.

"Finally, you're here. No doubt you've heard Celestia's little announcement." said Queen Melodia. Fluttershy's eyes widened in surprise.

"How did..."

"Never mind how I knew, what we need to be concerning ourselves with now is setting the first phase of our plan in motion." said Melodia. "If memory serves, there's an old book locked away in the highest most tower of Canterlot castle. I need you to get that book and pass it to me through the nearest mirror."

"But," said Fluttershy. "If it's locked up how am I supposed to get it?" The vanity mirror started to ripple like a water's surface, a key passed through and clattered to the floor. Fluttershy picked it up carefully, examining it in the light.

"Use this to undo the lock, and be careful. There are enchantments placed so that if somepony uses magic, it will alert the guards. Be sure you're not caught." Fluttershy nodded.

"I'll do my best mother." she said.

"See that you do."


Rainbow Dash was working hard to sharpen up Spitfire's (as well as the other Wonderbolts') lance(s). The work of a squire was often dull, but it would pay off if it meant she would one day join the Wonderbolts. For as long as she could remember, joining the Wonderbolts had been her dream. And when she managed to get a job as their squire, she was beyond excited.

"There, that's the last one." Rainbow Dash said to herself, proudly setting down the well sharpened lance.

"Finished already?" Spitfire flew down and inspected her lance, testing out the tip. 'Nice work. You'll make a good knight in no time." Rainbow Dash puffed her chest out with pride.

"Aw, it's nothing." she said.

"Lady Spitfire!" Sir Soarin was rushing toward the pegasi in a panic.

"Whoa! Settle down there Soarin. What seems to be the trouble?" asked Spitfire. Soarin panted for breath as he began to explain the problem.

"Blaze and I were flying over the Everfree forest, carrying a the new shipment of armor that just arrived, and we kinda sorta dropped it into the forest." he winced, expecting Spitfire to blow her top. Instead she shook her head and gave an aggravated sigh.

"We'll have to search for the supplies in the morning." she said. Rainbow Dash brightened as an idea entered her head. 'This is my chance to prove myself!' she thought.

"Why don't I go and get the shipment for you guys? I'll be back with it in no time flat." Spitfire and Soarin turned to her.

"It's nice of you to offer Rainbow Dash, but it's too dangerous for a pony to go it alone. Especially at night." said Spitfire.

"Yeah, you could be set upon by Timber wolves!" said Soarin worriedly.

"Please? If you guys give me a chance...!" Spitfire shook her head.

"I'm sorry Rainbow Dash, but my decision is final. We'll begin the search tomorrow when it's light." Rainbow watched as Spitfire trotted to off, Soarin looking back at her with an apologetic glance. Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes.

"I'll show them. I can handle whatever the Everfree forest throws at me."


Rainbow Dash was beginning to regret her decision. As she made her way through the forest in search of the missing shipment. From the dense shrubs, she could hear all kinds of growls coming from them. Chills ran down her spine, she felt as though something or somepony was following her.

"You've got this Rainbow." she told herself. "Think of this as a test, yeah that's it! A test of endurance. And if you pass, you're one step closer to becoming a Wonderbolt." Rainbow Dash squinted, peering through the darkness for the crate that had been dropped. The moon was hiding behind the clouds, making it difficult to see much of anything.

"It's got to be around here some-ow!" Rainbow Dash rubbed her foreleg, she'd accidentally bumped into the crate.

"Found it." she said in an annoyed tone. Taking some rope she'd brought with her, Rainbow Dash tied it securely around the crate.
"Now all I got to do is drag this thing back to the castle, and show Spitfire and the rest of them that I'm Wonderbolt material." Rainbow began the long, strenuous journey back, the crate dragging through the dirt. A sound reached her ears. It sounded like a cross between a hiss and a cluck. Rainbow decided to just ignore it and continue on. But with each step, the sound drew closer and closer. Rainbow Dash stopped.

"W-who's there?!" she called out. Nopony answered. "Show yourself! I'm warning you, you don't know who you're dealing with!" Rainbow Dash froze as a slithering sound rose from behind her. Slowly she turned her head. Rising above her was a creature with the body of a snake and the head of a chicken, a cockatrice. It let out it's hiss-cluck. Rainbow screamed, shutting her eyes tightly so she wouldn't look into its stony gaze. 'This is the end.' Rainbow thought grimly. But as she prepared for the worst, she felt something swoop between her and the cockatrice. Overcome with curiosity, Rainbow Dash opened an eye to get a peak at was going on. What she saw she could hardly believe. Princess Fluttershy, the shy pegasus she'd helped, was staring down the cockatrice.

"You should be ashamed of yourself mister! Going around and scaring other ponies. What would your mother think of this behavior?" The cockatrice shrank back under Fluttershy's intense gaze. "Now off you go, and don't let me catch you doing this again." The cockatrice slithered away into the shadows. Fluttershy turned to Rainbow Dash, her face full of worry.

"Are you alright? He didn't hurt you did he?" asked Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash looked at her with disbelief.

"That...was...AWESOME!" cried Rainbow Dash. "How did, where did you learn to do that?!" Fluttershy looked away and nervously rubbed her arm.

"It's kind of a natural talent, I guess. I can't really explain it." said Fluttershy.

"Well however you did it, thanks!" Then Rainbow realized something. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I'm sorry. I saw you heading into the forest and I was worried." said Fluttershy.

"I thought somepony was following me." said Rainbow. "Mind helping me get this crate back to the castle?"

"Okay, let's just hurry. This place has given me enough scares to last me a lifetime." The pegasi worked together to bring the crate back to the safety of the castle grounds. Rainbow Dash wiped the sweat from her brow.

"Thanks again for helping me back there." said Rainbow. "I really needed it." she laughed nervously.

"Your welcome." said Fluttershy quietly. She looked up toward the castle towers.

"I better get back to my dorm, Twilight might be worried about where I've been." Fluttershy galloped off, waving goodbye to Rainbow Dash.

"Rainbow Dash?!" Rainbow whirled to see Spitfire and the rest of the Wonderbolts coming toward her. "Where have you been?!" Her eyes fell on the crate.

"I told you not to go into the forest."

"I'm sorry." said Rainbow. "But hey, the crate is here in one piece and that's all that matters." Spitfire looked seriously into Rainbow Dash's eyes.

"You ignored my warning and could've gotten hurt. I'm gonna have to put you on probation until further notice." Rainbow Dash was about to argue when she remembered the cockatrice and how Princess Fluttershy had to save her. She hung her head and sighed.

"I understand ma'am." said Rainbow. As the she headed back to the sleeping quarters with the Wonderbolts, she found her gaze drifting toward the castle.

"Thanks Fluttershy." she murmured under her breath. A small smile on her face.

Author's Note:

For those who didn't see my post, I added more details to chapters 1-3. I hope you like this chapter. There will be more action as the story progresses. And I promise more Discord.