• Published 11th Nov 2015
  • 3,276 Views, 261 Comments

Long Live the Queen - QueenChrysalisForever



The current Queen Chrysalis has been wounded beyond the healing a good feeding provides. So she invites Discord over, to perform a spell he has been helping with for centuries. Will the new Queen be able to handle the pressure? Or will she fail?

  • ...
16
 261
 3,276

First Test

I awoke the next morning to a knock on the door. “Just five more minutes,” I mumbled, turning over in bed. A pain shot through my head as I hit something against the wall and I opened my eyes, reaching a hand to my head. Upon seeing a hoof in front of my eyes instead of a hand, yesterday came back to me in a flash and I rolled out of bed, rubbing my forehead around my horn which I had bumped. Chrys and I had been up late into the night, her drilling me in all things changeling. I levitated my crown over and placed it on my head, looking into the mirror as I let out a yawn.

“Ready for your first test dearie?”

“As ready as I can be. At least I have you in there to correct me if needed,” I grinned. My stomach growled, and the knock on the door came again. “Just a minute,” I said. Levitating a comb, I ran it through my mane and tail to get out the worst of the tangles, put it back down on the dresser, and took a deep breath. “Well, here we go,” I said and walked up to the door.

“There you are my Queen,” Apatelodes said as I opened it, and he bowed. “Breakfast is ready, do you still plan on joining us?”

“Yes, thank you for letting me know, and I will join you,” I said. Apatelodes grinned and moved to the side of the doorway.

“Then if you will follow me, I shall lead you to the dining room,” Apatelodes said. I nod and step out of the room, closing the door behind me. He started to walk down a long hallway, dimly lit with green fire torches. “How are you adjusting?” He whispered.

“Okay I think, but there is still much to learn. Who knew pretending to be someone else was so hard?”

He laughed, and I blushed green, realizing who and what I was talking to. “Right, of course, you guys would know.”

“That’s right, but you do have it more difficult than the rest. At least you will have practice for your first transformation into another pony.”

I stopped in my hoofsteps at that. I had forgotten that part. Chrys was right though, until I really ‘became’ Queen Chrysalis, it would be.

“Don’t worry, from what Discord tells me, you will do well, and the sooner you learn, the sooner we can get our revenge. I still don’t feel the way I used to since that day when the blast landed me hard into a tree. My carapace never fully recovered,” he said and sighed. “Here we are.” Before us was a thick wooden door. Voices could be heard from the other side, someling laughing loudly at something. “Ready to meet the others?”

I nodded, I was as ready as I was going to be. Chrys had drilled into me the names of her… our most important changelings, and I just hoped I could remember everyone. Apatelodes opened the door and stepped inside. The sound in the room hushed, and Apatelodes cleared his throat. “Announcing, our lovely Queen, Queen Chrysalis!”

“Go on then, hold yourself proud and walk to your rightful place at the head of the table. There you shall start breakfast, and the others will follow.”

“Got it,” I whispered and walked through the door. I glanced at the table and changelings gathered around it. A few ponies were tied up every few feet, fear prominent on their faces. Covering the rest of the table were ‘normal’ breakfast foods: pancakes, waffles, bowls of fruit, but no meats. But then, most changelings became vegetarians, to make it easier when masquerading as ponies. Wouldn’t do to be disguised as a pony and caught eating chicken or some other meat!

Everyling stared at me as I walked toward the front of the table. I did as Chrys had told me, with a slow, even pace. A changeling sitting near the empty seat waiting for me stood and pulled the chair out as I arrived. I nodded my thanks and sat down, and the changeling went back to his seat. Before me was an orange earth pony mare with a bright red mane and a lasso cutie mark. To her left, a bowl of sliced cantaloupe. The changelings watched me expectantly, and so placing my horn against the mare’s neck, I began to feed.

Everything seemed to relax at that point, talking resumed and everyling started on their own meals, some feeding off the offered ponies and others the more traditional foods offered them. “Well done, they seem to sense nothing amiss. Be prepared to give a little speech once breakfast is over though. Most of them haven’t seen us in at least two weeks.” I choked on a piece of cantaloupe, having finished with the pony earlier, at the words. A speech? What would I say? “Don’t worry, I’ll help you with it. As we go along though, I’ll leave you more in charge for these types of things.”

I still couldn’t help but worry. I’d had enough trouble getting in front of the class, the pressure of giving a good speech here? Much worse than I’d previously experienced! As things began to wind down, and the ponies were taken away along with the bowls and plates, the changelings looked to me again. I took a deep breath and smiled at them. With a mental nudge from Chrys, I began.

“Good morning, my changelings. I am glad to see you all doing so well. These past few weeks have been difficult, but I am back with you now, and with the help of Discord, in better condition than before.” I spread out my wings, and they all clapped at seeing them whole. I grinned and continued. “Things have been hard since the attack on Canterlot, for all of us, but not for much longer. I have a plan in the works for our revenge and they will not win this time,” I chuckled, and a few of them followed suit. “Soon, we will have enough love to go around, and every belly will be round. Noling will go to bed hungry!”

Apatelodes cheered, and the others followed his example. I grinned, watching as a few even toasted me with their drinks. Maybe this would be easier than I thought. “Okay, you have them all in a better mood now. Time for us to head off for some flying practice.” I stood, and everyling cheered as I walked toward the door. Apatelodes stood and opened the door for me, then followed behind as we left.

“Great job, your speech has inspired many. I believe you will be a great leader for us all. The display with your wings was a nice touch. Knowing their queen is back to full strength, will build their confidence in you,” Apatelodes said. He walked close beside me, and I smiled down at him. His ruffled, finned mane swung back and forth as he walked, much fuller than many of the other changelings I had seen so far.

“He’s one of the best fed of our changelings, that is why he looks so different. After all, he is not only one of our closest confidantes but our royal guard as well, he must be kept well fed. How else is he to protect us?” I nod in agreement to that, especially now when I still feel so lost.


“And a loop-de-loop right before touching down!” I laugh, landing on a cliff face about a mile out from the castle. We had been out flying for about an hour, and I still couldn’t get over the exhilaration of it.

“You have learned well, I knew you’d be a natural flier.” Chrys said. “Didn’t take long to get your wings strengthened either. How are they feeling?”

“They feel wonderful, nice and limber and so much stronger than they look. Oh, I just love being able to fly,” I sighed and collapsed down on the cliff, looking out over the valley below. A small pony village was nestled inside, only a few homes, maybe a fourth the size of Ponyville. A large plot of land to the side of it is covered in crops, cared for and tended by the village as a whole. It is from this tiny village I see a unicorn pony lugging a cart trotting our way. The sun catches on the items in the cart, making them shine.

“Hmm that pony doesn’t look familiar. He’s not from the village. I wonder what he is doing here.”

“Shall we go check it out? I’m curious as well.”

“But of course, we could always use more ponies for our feedings after all,” Chrys said and chuckled.

I take to the air, circling down to the pony as he leaves the village and heads into the woods. He arrives at a crossroads, one path leading back to the castle, the other on to other villages and eventually to Dodge Junction. Both Chrys and I gasp in shock as he turns down the one to the castle. “Do we have a volunteer?” I ask and let out a little chuckle.

“Only one way to find out, let’s go greet him, shall we?” I nod and circle down lower, dropping in front of him and giving him a huge grin.

“Why hello there, little pony. What brings you so far out here?”

“Looking for you actually,” he said. “Obviously wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.”

“What in Equestria would he want us for?”

“Good question, why where you looking for me?”

He paused, looking at me curiously for a moment. A lock of his lavender colored mane fell over one eye and he blew it out of the way, revealing his dark purple eyes. “To sell you my wares. Even an evil queen could use some music in her life,” he said, and moved aside so I could see into his cart. Inside, nestled safely in slim green boxes and straw, were a plethora of penny whistles.

“And you come with a foal’s toy of an instrument?”

“There are plenty of famous mares and stallions that play it too!” He said and stomped a hoof. “Caramel Sunning, Spider Stache, Mare Bergin? But then this is just the beginning, I’d like to negotiate trades between other ponies too.”

“Did Celestia put you up to this?”

“No, I’m doing it all on my own. I’d like to get to know your people more. You… might have made a bad first impression, but I don’t think you are all that bad. You just wanted to feed your subjects.”

“This is one strange pony, but, I think I like him. He certainly seems to understand our position better than most ponies. I wonder what his love would taste like.”

I chuckle a little, having been wondering the same. “Well my changelings might be interested in them, but I’m more interested in your love. How about a taste?”

He grinned slyly at me. “For three bits you can have a taste.”

I laughed. “My you sure are a sly one. What is your name?”

“Shiny Whistle,” he said, and ran a hoof through his mane, grinning.

“Well Shiny Whistle, you’ve intrigued me. Let’s see if my changelings would be interested in your whistles.”

“Thank you, Queen Chrysalis,” he said and bowed. “Maybe if this all works out, our nations can become allies. Then you wouldn’t need to try to take over Equestria. You could still get all the love you need.”

“He makes a valid point. Hmm… I hadn’t even thought of that. But then, it has been rare finding a willing pony to feed on,” Chrys chuckled. “But then, it’s not like I have usually ‘asked’.”

I nodded. “We shall have to see, until then let’s head toward the castle. It is almost lunchtime and I’m sure you are hungry.”

“As long as I’m not the lunch!” he laughed and magicked the straps of his cart back to his back.

“Deal, for today at least,” I said, and grinned when he laughed again. We walked down the path, the wind blowing through our manes keeping us cool.

“I’m surprised to have found you so quickly. I figured I’d run into one of your changelings first, and have to get an audience with you,” he said.

“Well, I’m glad we ran into you then.” As we drew near the castle, a small group of changelings was waiting for us near the gates. “And it looks like here are your first customers.”

“Look what our Queen has brought us, fresh love!” One changeling, Laothoe, a burly stallion with a huge appetite, said as we drew nearer.

“Sorry dearie, but he’s not up for feeding off of just yet,” I said, stopping Shiny Whistle with a hoof as we came within a few feet.

Nemoria, a petite changeling mare, still fairly young, lifted up on her wings and grabbed a box from Shiny Whistle’s cart, opening it. “Wow, these are beautiful,” she said, looking the whistle over carefully.

“For five bits it’s yours,” Shiny Whistle said, and Nemoria nodded, reaching into a saddlebag around her back and pulling out the bits. She tossed the box into the bag, then raised the whistle to her lips. I cringed as a shrill sound came from it. Shiny chuckled. “You’re blowing too hard,” he said. “Let me show you.” He grabbed another whistle from his cart, and using his magic to levitate it, brought it to his lips and played a haunting little melody.

“You are very good!” Nemoria said, taking her own again and blowing a little softer. The sound was better but still sharp.

“That’s why it is my special talent,” Shiny Whistle said, showing off his cutie mark, a blue penny whistle with two half notes dancing around it. “If you’d like to learn I’d be happy to teach you.”

Nemoria looked at me, hope in her eyes. “Let him teach her, will give us reason to keep him from being fed on.”

“I think that would be okay,” I tell her, and she jumps with glee. “Anyling else want to join her?” I ask, and a few others waiting by the gate toss over some bits and grab their own whistles. As they try them out, some having more success than others, I turn to Shiny Whistle. “Looks like you will have a little class of students.”

“Yes, and I have you to thank for that. I knew you were not as bad as they all say.”

“Well it looks like we have a new pony servant. He’ll certainly help take their minds off being hungry, for a little while at least.”

Shiny Whistle turned back to me, and held out a box, a Penny Whistle inside. “Would you like to learn as well? This is one of my finest whistles, yours if you want it for your help.”

I looked at him, surprised, but shook my head. “My day is too filled, I’d never have time to practice. Thank you for the offer though.”

“My Queen,” Apatelodes said, coming to stand before me he bowed. “Lunch awaits, and noling may eat until you arrive. I’ll… take care of this pony and show him to the classrooms if you plan on employing him?”

“That I do. Yes, show him to the classrooms, then make sure he gets something to eat.” I turned back to Shiny Whistle. “Would tomorrow morning be too early to start lessons? The young ones at least have time in-between their other classes around 10am in which they could come to you. The adults would have to schedule times for lessons between their other duties.”

Shiny Whistle nodded. “That should be plenty of time for me to get ready. I already have a few books with some simple songs they could start learning, though I will need more before long.”

“I’ll send someling out to get them for you, if you will make a list of what you need.”

“Certainly, I will have that for you in the morning.” He strapped his cart back to his back. “Fare thee well, Queen Chrysalis.” He turned to the waiting Apatelodes and together they trotted off.

“Well then, what say we grab some lunch?” Chrys said. I nodded, lunch did sound good.

“Remind me to change that rule though, that no changeling can eat until I arrive,” I whispered, so noling near us could hear. “It’s not fair to them that they must wait for me.”

“But you are their Queen, they wouldn’t have it any other way unless we had no plans to join them that night. Do you want to insult them by doing that?”

I sighed, “no, I wouldn’t want that. We’ll just have to try to plan for these things I guess.” I turned to watch as Apatelodes and Shiny Whistle turned toward the left wing, both their horns glowing, violet for Shiny Whistle, green for Apatelodes, as they lifted the cart full of whistles up the stairs. Apatelodes had seemed in a hurry to get me away from Shiny Whistle, did he suspect plans of foul play? Or was he just worried about the hungry changelings? I shrugged and walked into the dining room to cheers. I grinned a fang-filled smile, it sure felt good to be wanted.

Author's Note:

Yay chapter two! Hope you all enjoy this one as much as the first. As always, feel free to comment/critique to help me improve. As a note like before, this is my NaNoWriMo story, so after Nov. is over things will likely change a bit.
Thanks for reading! :)
Small edits made 7/4/21