• Published 11th Nov 2015
  • 3,277 Views, 261 Comments

Long Live the Queen - QueenChrysalisForever



The current Queen Chrysalis has been wounded beyond the healing a good feeding provides. So she invites Discord over, to perform a spell he has been helping with for centuries. Will the new Queen be able to handle the pressure? Or will she fail?

  • ...
16
 261
 3,277

Tick Tock Goes the Clock

Chapter 29: Tick Tock Goes the Clock

Changeling Castle - Dining Room - Apatelodes

I had only just settled down in my chair for lunch when Chioides stepped up to me and tapped my shoulder. “Yes, Chioides?” I asked. “Are the repairs complete?”

“About that,” he mumbled. “Y-you have a visitor. She wants to meet with you in the throne room.” He took a few steps back, lowered his one ear and shivered. “She doesn’t sound patient either.”

I groaned and ran a hoof down my muzzle. “Let me guess, Radiant Hope?” He nodded. “WHY did you let her in?” I growled.

“I-I didn’t, Apatelodes, sir,” he gulped. “She kind of just appeared.”

“You mean teleported in?”

“Yes.”

I groaned again. What the hay did she want now? I grabbed one last piece of pear from my plate, popped it into my mouth and stood. “Fine, I’m on my way. Save me some pears for others though, will you?”

Chioides nodded. “Of course, it is the least I can do.”

With a scowl on my face, I pushed the dining room doors open so hard they let out a crack when they hit the walls. The dining room grew silent behind me, but I didn’t care. Soft murmurs filled the air as changelings as well as ponies followed behind me. Well, she hadn’t said she wanted to see me alone, had she? Let them come. Either way I won’t let her harm any of them, ling or pony.

As I reached the throne room doors, I paused, took in a deep breath, and then let it out slowly. I wasn’t going to let her get to me. Wings fluttered on those behind me as they gathered closer. The green flames of the torches to either side of me illuminated our faces. We wouldn’t let our Queen down. Whatever Hope wanted, it wouldn’t come easy.

I reached up and pushed the door open. Only one torch before me was lit in on the wall next to the royal throne. The rest of the room was dim though it was the middle of the day and should have been much lighter. It was at that moment I noticed the Umbrum — two by each of the three windows — on overwatch. Their gaze fell my way, and I could see a smirk on each of their misshapen lips.

A low growl brought my attention back to the throne where two huge black Diamond Dogs lay by the foot of the throne. The one to the left with bright orange eyes licked its lips, drool running down his muzzle to plop onto the floor.

“I see you finally decided to show your face,” Hope said. “Brought the whole castle with you too?”

I let out a low growl, and my gaze rose to see her stretched out on our Queen’s throne. It was far larger than that puny thing Princess Celestia owned. It was made of shiny black obsidian and was wide enough a queen could comfortably stretch out her longer form and take a nap. Of course, this was helped by the Lime green throw pillows scattered across it so her flank didn’t get sore from sitting too long. Hope was spread out on the pillows, her tail tip flicked back and forth as she gazed down at us.

“You don’t belong on that throne,” I hissed and bared my fangs..

“Who’s to say it won’t be mine soon?” she crooned. She sat up and rubbed a hoof over her amulet.

“It will never be yours! It belongs to our Queen,” I growled. “What do you want, Hope?”

She gave me a wide, catlike grin. “To expand my army, of course. Like I have told you before. With you all on my side, we will rule this land for a long time.”

“We take orders from our Queen,” Videre snorted as he stepped up beside me. “YOU are not her.” I smiled over at him, glad for the support.

“Oh, you mean your little Queen?” Hope puckered her lips and gazed down at us. “The one who is living in luxury right now, with more than enough food, a soft bed, and without a single thought to her dear, loyal subjects? You see my army here little changelings? I care for them and as such, have made them far more fearsome than thee.” She took a step down from the throne as her gaze rolled over all in the room.

“That is a lie!” I huffed. “I talked to her just last night; she does care for us. She is doing everything in her power to get us help.” What was she up to?

“Then why does she linger in Canterlot,” Hope crooned, one hoof raised to cup my chin. “While you need her so dearly over here?”

“To get Celestia’s help.” Was she that dense? I swiped her hoof away from my chin.

“Celestia has refused to help her,” Hope laughed. “But does she care? No, not now that she has her purple unicorn of passion!”

The others murmured around me, but I silenced them with a loud stomping of a hoof and a shake of my head. “You have it all wrong, Hope. It is Shiny who is crazy for her. She doesn’t feel that way about him.”

“Can you be so sure?” she asked. “After all, she left the hive with only him. She didn’t even think about taking her most loyal royal guard,” she frowned at me.

I winced. True, she had left me here, but that was because she trusted me to take care of things, right? Though our newest Queen had not been so for long, could her past life be clouding her judgement? Her thoughts? She might have liked us before she became one of us, but that didn’t mean she secretly liked the ponies more. The whispers around me grew louder as I remained silent this time.

“Aw, is that a sore spot for you, little Appy?” Hope hummed. “Left here all alone while your Queen goes gallivanting off on the next adventure to appear?”

“No!” I yelled. My ears pulled back against my skull. “I trust her judgement.” At least, as long as she had Chrys to help her. With all the experience she had, Chrys wouldn’t fail her. She would lead her down the best path. “If she is staying at the castle, then she must have a plan to get Celestia to change her mind.”

Hope let out a deep sigh, and then turned her gaze to the rest of the crowd. “Do you all trust her judgement as well as this fool here?” she asked. “Or are you smart enough to realize she is not coming back. She has abandoned you for the ponies.” I lifted a hoof to speak but she just plopped her hoof against my muzzle. “Choose you this day whom ye shall serve, little changelings.” Her eyes lit up red as she let out a low cackle. “Will ye serve the one who has never been able to keep your bellies full? Whose every scheme to try fails? The one who keeps you trapped in this little castle when you could be free to conquer and rule?”

My eyes widened as those around me whispered among themselves, some even perking up at her words. Were they so easily persuaded? “Don’t listen to her!” I yelled. “We are far better off−”

“Yes, you are far better off,” Hope grinned, her hoof back over my muzzle. “Better off with ME.”

Videre slapped her hoof away. “Let Apatelodes have his turn to speak,” he growled.

“Thank you, Videre,” I said. “But please, don’t antagonize her,” I hissed. With the kind of power she had by now, she could probably vaporize hundreds of us before we could even reach her.

A loud hiss came from the window closest to us, where one of the Umbrum pushed through the crowd around it. Before it got very far however, Hope put up a hoof. It paused and glared at Videre, but listened. Those around it stepped closer to their neighbors.

“Fine, speak,” she snorted.

I turned back to look out at the crowd. Far too many looking almost mesmerized by her words. Could they seriously be so easily persuaded? “My fellow changelings,” I said. They turned their gazes to me. “Are you so easily made blind by the words of a devil?” I growled. “We are changelings! To give into a PONY wanting to rule us? That would be unnatural.” I stomped a hoof on the ground. “We are proud; we are strong. Yes, we may have failed in the past, but I wouldn’t be the first to say we have hardly begun.

“Give our Queen a chance. She does care about us, all of us.” I smiled down at Spot, who stood behind me, and ruffled a hoof through his mane. “From each colt and filly,” I put a hoof around Videre, “to our greatest guards.” I took a deep breath and then continued. “She cares for us all. Yes, she cares for the ponies too,” I nodded and looked out to the ponies who had entered the room. “But that is something essential. Not only are they our food, but some are teachers of our children.” Sure I might not like them, but I couldn’t deny they served a good purpose. I smiled when many of those who had been nodding at Hope earlier now nodded at my words.

“If you believe all that, then you are all just mindless drones,” Hope hissed. Her eyes and horn lit up red with a scowl on her face. “I am the one who truly cares about you. Leave your foolish Queen and join me, and you’ll never go hungry again!”

“You mean we’ll always be hungry,” I hissed. “Our Queen remembers your Umbrum from the last time they were out. Their power is fear. If everypony is afraid, there will be no love for us.” I stood before her with my muzzle practically against hers.

She smirked at me. “Oh, do you believe her memory is that good, little Appy?” she purred.

“I don’t know. You tell me,” I snarled. “You’re nearly as old as she.”

She gasped, shook her head, and slapped a hoof against my cheek. “You spent all this time by your Queen's side, and you never learned it’s not proper to speak of a mare’s age?”

“If the horseshoe fits,” I groaned, rubbing my cheek. Colt, she hits hard for a mare! “Just go and leave us alone.”

She lowered her head as she lit her horn even brighter. “Leave? When the others haven’t had a chance to make their decision yet? Now that would just be rude.”

“Well, she certainly has the temper of our Queen,” Crambus mumbled somewhere behind me. A few in the crowd laughed. “Apatelodes is right! We don’t need you!” he yelled.

“To your offer, I say: Long Live the Queen!” Asbolis roared. He pointed his nose proudly into the air.

I grinned as others in the crowd took up the chant, even a few ponies. “Long Live the Queen! Long Live the Queen! Long Live the Queen!”

“It seems you have your answer, Hope,” I said. “We won’t abandon our Queen.”

She glared at me. Her nostrils flared. She took deep breaths in and out, as the chant continued. Her coltish cut mane stuck out as she rubbed a hoof back and forth through it. After a moment she took in a deep breath, swept both forehooves through her mane and let the light in her horn and eyes die out. “Very well, if that is how you will have it.” Turning around she whistled, and the two beasts left their posts at the throne to join her side.

“I’m glad to see you taking it so easily,” I said with my gaze on the hairy mutts.

“Yes, easy,” she rolled her eyes. “I won’t forget you, Apatelodes.” She stared hard at me for a moment and then walked toward the closest window with her dogs in tow. Her ears lowered as those in the room cheered. “To me!” she yelled. The cheers lowered as the Umbrum by the other windows flew over to her. “Have a good afternoon,” she chirped. With a flash of red light, they were all gone.

“That was too easy,” Videre grunted as he stepped up beside me.

“I agree,” I nodded. “This is certainly not over.”

“We going to be okay, Appy?” Spot whimpered. A tear trickled down his blue cheek. “That pony scares me.”

“Hey, don’t cry,” I soothed, wiping the tear from his cheek. “Be strong for our Queen okay?”

“B-but what if she is right? What if she did leave us for Shiny?”

“Hey, champ,” Videre winked, ruffling the young changeling colt’s mane. “She’d never do that to us. That pony might be handsome, but he’s going to die before most of us. Our Queen will save her feelings for someling who can lead by her side for a long time.”

“Like me?”

My armored friend and I laughed. “Perhaps when you’re a little older,” I said. “Grow big and strong, and who knows? Maybe she will pick you to father her next eggs.” At least he would be better than that purple pony. I was sure Chrys had told her by now how pony and changeling anatomy worked. It would be better to let the stallion down now so she could concentrate on more important things.

“I-I’ll grow big and strong,” he proclaimed, standing up on his hind legs and punching out with the fore. “When I’m grown, you won’t even recognize me.”

I sighed. If he got to grow up. No, I couldn’t think that way. “We’ll see about that, Spot,” I nodded. “Until then, could you go check on the hatchery for me? Make sure Phengaris has plenty of extra blankets and anything else she might need.” At least that was a task that would keep him out of trouble.

“Okay Appy!” he beamed. “I can check on our Princess too! I haven’t seen her since her hatchday.”

“You do that, champ,” my helmeted friend nodded. “Stay out of trouble.”

“Will do, Vidi!” he chirped and hopped away through the crowd.

“Vidi?”

“Appy?”

I chuckled. “You would think he likes us or something.”

“Well we are in some of the highest positions in the hive,” he said, shining an armored hoof against his chitin. “I would say any little ling would aspire to be like us.”

“If only we could live up to those aspirations.”

“You have, I would say,” he grinned and wrapped his hoof around me in a hug. “What do you say we continue preparations?”

“I would call that a good idea,” I nodded. We couldn’t let Hope get under our chitin. No matter what she had planned — and by the looks of it, it wouldn’t be pretty — we must do our best to survive.


Canterlot Castle - Queen Chrysalis

“We have to go back. If we leave now and fly quickly, we just might get there in time to intervene.”

“We can’t,” I whispered as we walked down an empty corridor. “If we keep trying, I am sure we can persuade Celestia. We have to.” I paused as a unicorn solar guard trotted past us. Her blue eyes focused on us. Yet she let us continue on.

After that disastrous meeting that morning, I had left the throne room with an angry glare tossed Celestia’s way. Shiny had tried to follow, but I shook my head at him. After all, I needed time to think. “I must convince her that we are trying to reform,” I continued as the guard reached the end of the hallway and turned the corner. “She likes reformed villains. It is kinda her thing.”

“Just because she likes to reform villains doesn’t mean she will believe we are trying to reform ourselves,” Chrys hissed. “Even if we did convince her, it would likely take longer than we have to do so. Far better to just forget about her help and solve this on our own.”

“You and I both know this is far greater than we can solve alone,” I said. “We have no one else to turn to. If Shiny can convince her−”

“Pah, Shiny? Dearie, he is a lovesick foal, and Celestia knows that,” she snapped. “He’d do anything for us, even lie I imagine. She would be a foal to believe that simpering pony’s words and, much as I dislike her, she is no foal.”

I groaned, rubbing a hoof down my muzzle. I had to admit, though, that she was right on that point. He had a lot of compassion sure, but the ponies would never take him seriously with how he acted around us. “Okay, maybe so, but returning wouldn’t really help either. We might be a Queen. We might have what is left of our excess love, but wouldn’t we burn most of that out on the flight back?”

Chrys was silent for a moment. I continued walking while she thought on my words, not really being sure where to go except away from that horrid throne room. “We’d have enough strength left to fight,” Chrys finally said. “Would you rather us just sit on our flanks and let Hope ruin everything I’ve worked for the past five hundred years?”

“Well, no, we do need to do something. I just don’t know what.” I paused by an open window, looking out on Canterlot below us. Ponies trotted by going about their day: shopping, gossiping, a few snuggling next to the pony next to them. None of them knew what was coming. I doubt any of them would even care if by tomorrow all changelings went extinct. Well, I suppose there would still be those who had married somepony, the ones yet to return to the hive, but how long would they last? “Why is Hope so focused on us?” I sighed.

“I don’t know. Perhaps something one of our previous selves did those many years ago.”

I leaned against the window frame and let my wings fall to my sides. “Equestria is so much different from how the show pictured it.”

Chrys snorted. “Well, it was geared toward little girls, wasn’t it? They probably took out the worst of what we all go through so they would be happy.”

“Yeah, I guess. Nopony ever really died permanently, well maybe those Pinkie clones counted I guess… but there was still something missing. That could have been an indicator they were hiding something.”

“Now you see all I’ve had to put up with. Life is not easy for a changeling in this world.”

“No, but that doesn’t mean we should just give up and go home.” I stood, tucked my wings back against my barrel, and stared out at the ponies below. “I will convince Celestia to help us.”

“Ugh, you are delusional if you think you can change that stubborn pony’s mind.”

“I am NOT delusional!” I growled, stomping a hoof.

“Chryssy?” I turned to see Shiny trot over to us. “Are you okay?”

I facehoofed, shaking my head. “No, Shiny, I am not okay.”

“Well, if you are hungry, I have plenty to spare,” he cupped my butter-yellow cheek in one hoof, a smile on his face.

I pulled away and stormed down the hallway. “Shiny, I have already fed from you too much lately,” I growled.

“I’m just trying to help,” he sighed. I groaned as I heard him trotting after me.

“Well, then find me a dozen busts of Celestia and a hammer.”

“What?”

“Pull the lever, Shiny!”

“What lever?” he tilted his head to the side and raised one eyebrow. His long bangs fell once more in front of his eyes.

“Forget it, forget it,” I sighed and shook my head. “Ugh, what am I to do?”

“Well, tell me what happened,” he said. “You’re beginning to talk crazy.”

“Well, we are under a lot of stress, of course we are going to talk crazy!”

“I want to help,” he said and put his lilac forehoof to my shoulder. “Even if it is only as an ear to talk to.”

“Fine,” I grumbled. “You want to know what Celestia was too stubborn to let me explain?”

“If it would help.”

“Apatelodes contacted me last night, updating me on what was going on along with new information on the amulet.”

“Go on.”

“She has the castle surrounded, has added diamond dogs to her army, and probably plans on marching on us tonight.”

“Wha? T-tonight?” he gasped. His eyes grew wide and breathing heavy as he stared at me with his mouth dropped open. “Right, right. Flash said that earlier I think,” he gulped. “What of the amulet? C-Cadence said it is not the one Trixie used so does that mean there are two? Or-or are there even more?” His ears drooped and a shiver ran down his spine. “From what I heard back when it happened, even the one Trixie had was bad enough, and she only had it on for a few weeks at most. How long has Hope had it?”

“I don’t know how long she has had it, but it is a much overpowered device. For every death she is near, the amulet takes in their essence and just makes her that much stronger.”

“Only a pony as insane as Sombra could come up with such a thing and thought it a good idea.” Chrys growled. “It’s a good thing he’s gone, or who else knows what he would come up with in the modern day.”

The purple unicorn bit his lip, ears flat against his head at my words. “So with every death, she becomes that much more difficult to beat,” he moaned. “W-we can’t let her kill all the ponies and changelings in your castle! With how many live there…” he shivered. “Her power would grow immensely. I might not have been there long, but I don’t want to lose my friends!” He paced the floor behind me as we continued to walk. “I mean sure Nemoria and Acronicta are safe for now here, b-but Star Bright and Rope Burn a-and all my students and your daughter−”

“Don’t you think we know that?” I snapped. “But Celestia won’t listen, and, thanks to Flash, nopony else likely will either.” I grabbed a vase on a pedestal across the hall from us in my magic and slammed it into the ground, shattering it.

“Right, nopony will help us now!” he moaned. “I want to help but Princess Cadance has abandoned us and-and Celestia and Twilight never wanted to help really now did she?” His breathing turned heavy behind me. If he breathed any heavier he would practically be hyperventilating!

“Shiny, calm down,” I groaned. “If you faint — or worse — on me it is not going to be of much help.” Like he was being much help in the first place right now. Why was he even back out here? I had asked him to leave us be. Sure he had given us that for a little while but now here he was again. I mean I understood he was crazy for us but couldn’t he understand the need for space and time to think? “I need time to think of what to do.”

“There is nothing we can do now really, is there?” he moaned. “If you join Hope, your changeling’s and you might survive a little longer, but she’ll come after all of us next, won’t she? That means you will be fighting against the Princesses and the elements and Discord a-and they’ll possibly kill you!” He held a hoof to his head and closed his eyes. “Yet if you don’t join her she’ll not only destroy your hive but with the extra power gained from doing so she’ll still come after the Princesses a-and then she might be so strong even they can’t defeat her and ALL of us will die!” he howled. “N-no CREATURE will be able to stop her evil plans then — not even Discord.”


“Ugh, we do NOT need this kind of negativity right now!” Chrys growled. “If we leave now, we could catch Hope unawares,” Chrys said. “She’s expecting us to be here, but if we are back at the castle, perhaps we can get the upper hoof.”

“We’re NOT going back to the castle yet!” I yelled. I stomped the tile so hard below us it cracked, sparks of green fire bursting from its impact.

“Who said anything about returning?” the panicked stallion sniffed. “We’d never make it in time walking. What would even be the point?”

“If we even had a good reason to bring you back,” Chrys hissed. “All you’ve been is a hindrance we’ve had to save the flank of! Sure you might taste good, but that is all you have ever been and will ever be! Even now, all you are bringing us is a wall of chaotic feelings. We KNOW how bad things are looking. We don’t need you to go rambling on about it all.”

“Not now, Shiny,” I growled. “Go back to the throne room please. Or if you insist on following us, PLEASE calm yourself down.” I placed a hoof on his back and rubbed it back and forth. “PLEASE, for me? I’m stressed enough as it is.”

“I-I’ll try,” he nodded and brushed his bangs away from his eyes. “I’m sorry. I’m just worried.”

I just shook my head and continued on. We wouldn’t be good to get too angry at him out here in the halls. After all, we didn’t want everypony knowing our true self if we lost control. It was little surprise to find we had been trotting back to our quarters this whole time. The only sound I heard from my lilac shadow was the clicking of his hooves against the tile floor. Finally, he was silent — at least for now.

I kicked the main door open, grateful to see the main room empty, and made my way to my bedroom. “Go check on the others, Shiny. I want to be alone,” I sighed.

“Alone? B-but you are distressed! You need somepony to help you feel better.” He took a step forward and opened my bedroom door. “I can be there for you to talk to and bounce ideas off of.”

“No, go,” I grunted, releasing my disguise as I stepped into the room. Sure, I didn’t want to be rude, but couldn’t he understand? HE was part of the reason we were so distressed!

“No, I won’t,” he snorted. The door closed behind him as he stepped inside. “This is a hard time for you. Everypony needs a friend when the going gets tough, and, colt, is it tough for us all right now.” he muttered. “What can we do, what can we do.” He paced in front of the door with his gaze to the floor. “If we catch ourselves a few griffons they are fast flyers they could get some of us there… no, no,” he shook his head and continued pacing.

“Stupid pony, we want to be left ALONE!” Chrys yelled. I could feel her anger boiling up in us, but this time, I didn’t even try to hold it in.

That was it, I just couldn’t stand it anymore. I had tried to get him to calm down but he just wouldn’t shut up. “Just leave us alone, Shiny,” I hissed, ears flat and fangs bared at him. “We don’t need you; we won’t need any of you ponies after tomorrow. If those narrow-minded princesses refuse to help, then what is to come is on their hooves!” I breathed heavily through my nostrils. “Shiny, we relieve thee of thy duty.”

“My duty?” he asked. “You mean as professor of music?”

“No, of being part of the hive.”

“W-what?” he gasped.

“You heard me,” I snarled. “You’re gone, lovercolt. We only want strong subjects in our hive. Who can protect what we have worked for.” Much as he might like us, right now he wasn’t being of any help. He’d probably never really be the help we needed.

“I-I don’t understand,” he shook his head. “Chryssy, I thought you liked me? M-maybe even loved me…” he whispered.

“We are not capable of love, especially not with a pony!” I hissed. That is what Chrys had been telling me this entire time, and I was starting to think she might be right. If all ponies who would even think of wanting to be our mate were like Shiny, then — much as I hated to admit it — perhaps it was better to be alone. “Your kind are all the same: happy, going on and on about how friendship is magic and the want to help others. But deep inside all you really care about are yourselves.”

“T-that’s not true−”

“Oh but it is, I would know,” I snapped. “I have seen deep into the hearts of you ponies and found your kind wanting. Your princesses spout talk of love to all creatures in the land, a second chance to those who seek it, and see the beauty hidden within those seen as monsters. Yet you all still fear diamond dogs, timberwolves, manticores, MY kind, and so many others. What kind of love is that?” Shiny might be willing to give me a chance, but he was obviously the only one. How could we align ourselves with creatures who wouldn’t even give us a chance?

“Well, I−”

“And for another thing, you are entirely too emotional! Just look at you, panicking about all that is going on when we ALREADY KNOW everything you are telling us! I asked you to calm down, and you just panicked more. We don’t need a mate, who runs around in circles when problems arise, causing more problems.” I let out a frustrated sigh. “In fact, even if you were calm, I doubt you would have anything helpful to say at all.”

“Please just− ”

“And then another thing, you come prancing along, not a thought in your head except meeting with the changeling queen and becoming her mate. Do you not have goals of your own? Friends or students or even your family who would care if you did such a thing? Just disappeared into what they would consider the maw of Tartarus? What is to stop you from falling for someone else’s scent and beauty? You fell for mine easily enough, it wouldn’t be hard to set your eyes on the next pretty thing to pass your way and go prancing off to their kingdom without a single word.”

He winced as his ears dropped lower and lower with each word. “Chryssy, I−”

“Don’t Chryssy me,” I growled. “All you are doing is making this situation worse. How do you expect me to make a plan on what to do with you panicking right next to me? Your cries and outbursts are not helping.” I stepped right up next to him and spread my wings out behind me. “How could you think yourself worthy of standing next to a Queen?” I hugged him close to me, the tip of his horn maybe reaching the upper third of my neck. “You are far smaller than I.” I pushed him away from me, watching as he stumbled but didn’t fall. “My strength far surpasses yours as well.

“We are about to enter a war here! If I am to take a mate, I need one who can stand strong beside me. You are weak and foalish, putting aside everything in your own life to try to win my heart. What does your family think about you running away not only once, but twice? Both times dragging one of your siblings with you. Who knows what has happened to your sister because of your foalish actions?”

For a moment I thought I had gone too far with those words. His eyes watered before me and his entire body trembled. As if some string above him had been cut, he collapsed to the ground, forehooves wrapped around his head. The puddle of lilac and lavender curled into a ball as he sobbed. Those stubborn bangs damp as they hung in front of his closed, weeping eyes. Little moans and groans came from him and he curled up even tighter. It was what he had to hear though, right? He shivered on the floor at my hooves, but before I could even think of laying a hoof on him in comfort, I felt a strange yet familiar pull inside my gut.

“Leave the foal alone to his tears,” Chrys growled. “We are leaving.”

What the hay had just happened? I watched as my body turned around without any help from me, and walked toward the window. What was going on? Nothing was making sense right now. I couldn’t think of any explanation for it as our wings buzzed behind us, the balcony falling away.


Royal Visitors Quarters - Shiny Whistle

“We are leaving.”

Her words haunted me as I watched from behind my hooves. The buzzing of her wings faded as she flew away. Tears dripped down my cheeks as I lay there on the cold floor. The room was still, all I could hear was my heartbeat pounding in my ears. I felt nauseated, ill, like I might faint. As my body shivered uncontrollably, the sweat dripped from me. Yet through all this, all I could think was: why?

Why did I ever think my plans were a good idea? Why didn’t I make sure nopony followed me? Why did I let Velvet get messed up in all of this too? Why did I lie to not only my parents, but to so many others about my true feelings? Why didn’t I go after my sister when I first heard she was missing? But most of all: why did I ever think someone as great and powerful as Chrysalis could ever love me back?

What was I compared to her? Nothing, just nothing. All I had was my music, and my love for those I cared for. I wasn’t strong, I wasn’t brave, and I wasn’t even a changeling. Maybe if I had been one of her kind she would have considered a relationship seriously, instead of pulling me along with her teasing and beautiful smile. Oh that beautiful smile, sure it was filled with fangs but that just made her all the more desirable to me. I still didn’t understand why.

Those pure locks of teal mane and tail, like silk against my fur when she had slept next to me our first night out on our adventure. Colt had I been so nervous around her back then! Who wouldn’t be though, with the utter power that flowed from her very being? She had after all beat Celestia at the wedding, even if that were just because of Shining Armor’s love energy.

Her chitin wasn’t anything like I had expected either — or well, as ponies had reported. There was no slime that I had seen, just a smooth, warm, hard outer layer. Like one of Celestia’s guards always wearing their armor, only better.

The best part of all though was her laugh. When she wasn’t trying to take over the world but actually in a happy mood, her laugh was so magical. I could get lost in those mesmerizing eyes of hers, which sparkled with every peal of pure joy that left her lips.

But now that was gone. She had rejected me, ridiculed me, twisted my heart in her grasp until it broke into a million pieces on the floor. Then left, not caring what happened to me. I guess I shouldn't blame her. After all, she was a Queen. Her subjects had to come first. What was a stupid, useless pony compared to the lives of what, thousands? I never had found out how many were in the hive. How many could even fit into that castle? Whatever, it didn’t matter now anyway. I’d probably never see her again.

The door opened behind me, but I paid it no more attention that noticing it had opened before starting on a new wave of tears.

“Shiny, what happened?” Velvet asked. He lied down, wrapped me up in his hooves, and pulled me in for a hug.

“We heard shouting and would have come sooner, but we had to convince the girls to stay in the other room,” Twinkleshine said, sitting down next to us.

“S-she left,” I blubbered, nestling my muzzle into my brother’s neck. “She exposed me to our truth. I am nothing, we are nothing. She doesn’t really have any reason to trust us, t-trust me. Celestia betrayed her. Without a thought to everypony that loved me, whom I loved in return, to follow after her even though I didn’t know the true Queen behind the chitin. Everything she said, it was all true!”

“Shhh, shhh,” Velvet whispered, rubbing a hoof up and down my back. “I doubt what she said was true.”

“No, it is,” I gulped. “I’m weak. I have nothing to give to her but my love and I’m an emotional wreck. I’m not made of kingly material.” I let out a snort. “I’m not even strong enough to fight by her side in battle. Worst of all though? It’s my fault Dew is missing. If I hadn’t gotten into my head the stupid idea of finding the changeling queen and us falling in love, Dew would still be here.”

“Oh come on Shiny, you know Dew loves a good adventure just as much as you,” he grinned, wiping away a tear from my face with his royal purple hoof.

“Velvet, she could be DEAD because of me!” I moaned. “No matter if she likes a good adventure or not. She is still so young, so naïve of the troubles of traveling. I’m her big brother, well one of them,” I laughed halfheartedly. “I’m supposed to protect her, and I couldn’t even do that. How can I expect to protect a whole species if I can’t protect one filly?”

“You’ve taken care of Nemoria and Acronicta fairly well,” Twinkleshine said.

“No, YOU have,” I snorted. “While I’ve been off prancing after Chr... her like a lovesick puppy.”

“She is wrong about you, Shiny,” Velvet shook his head. “You are a strong pony, worthy of her affections, and if she doesn’t see that−”

“No,” I shook my head. “She is right. If I want to be with her, I need to be so much more. By this time tomorrow, her entire SPECIES could be extinct, and what can I do to prevent that? Nothing. I’m a useless, musical foal. Do I know any battle spells? No. Just what I need to work on my instruments. What good will that do in a battle? I can heal instruments, but not those who really matter.”

“Wait, entire species?” Twinkleshine blinked, a look of surprise on her face. “What did I miss?”

“She is convinced Hope is going to destroy her castle tonight,” I said. “Along with all the ponies and changelings in it.”

“T-that’s horrible! We can’t let her do that.” she frowned. “I might not be Chry−” she paused, probably seeing me wince. “I mean her. I’m not her biggest fan, but for Hope to destroy her hive? Poor mare.” She looked toward the window, a single tear trickling down her face before she blinked and turned back to us.

“What can we do to stop it though, Twinkleshine? If Celestia won’t help, we don’t have the power to do anything either.” He looked back to me. “I don’t know what to tell ya, bro. A broken heart is… hard to deal with. If she’s going to act this way though, then maybe she doesn’t deserve you.” He hugged me close. “She might be under a lot of stress, but that is no reason to take it all out on you. I’m sorry about her subjects, her family. I just don’t know what to do. All I can say is Twinkleshine and I are here for you. Let it all out− “

“NO I can’t, I WON’T let it all out,” I growled. “That is what got me in this mess to start with. I panic too much. I ramble on and on... “ I sighed. “Velvet I-I don’t want them to die. I don’t want HER to die. But what I want doesn’t matter.”

Has it ever mattered? Look where my emotions have gotten me. Have they gotten me the mare I have had my eyes on? No, they have just driven her even further away from me. What was the point of loving if all it did was end in heartache? These strong emotions I carry were useless where it really mattered. Maybe it was better to not feel anything at all.

“No, her dying wouldn’t solve anything,” Twinkleshine sighed. “But letting out your frustration would help. It doesn’t work well in the end to keep it all bottled up.”

“She’s right, bro,” he grinned and rubbed his hoof up and down my back. “Please let us help you?”

“If you want to help me, then help me control my emotions,” I said. “Stop this mumbling fool.”

He just shook his head and sighed. “We’ll figure something out, bro. Twinkleshine and I will get your through this. We’ll find her Shiny, we’ll find our sister,” he said and hugged me close. “No matter what has happened to her though, it is NOT your fault. You need to stop blaming yourself.”

“I can feel how much you really care, and I’d hate to see that go to waste.” The pink-haired mare wrapped me in a hug as well.

Well, not for long. I accepted her hug, hugging both she and my brother, but this would be the last hug. No matter what Twinkleshine or Velvet might say, she was right. I was too emotional. Anypony could read me like a book and that wasn’t a good thing. A changeling, I guess, should be able to sense them better than a pony but no one — not even a changeling — should be able to read me as well as the entire nation of Equestria seemed to be able to do.

If I could conceal my emotions, not feel so strongly about everything maybe I could move on from all this. I saw no other way. My heart ached, and the way to heal it wouldn’t be moping about. No more. Just, no, no more. “I… appreciate that Twinkleshine.”

Velvet patted me on the back. “That’s the spirit, Shiny! We’ll get you your happily ever after somehow. I know we can do it!”

Was such a thing even real? Whatever, it didn’t matter anymore. The two of them helped me to my hooves. Twinkleshine grabbed a tissue from a box on the nightstand and levitated it over to me. I blew my nose into the tissue and wiped my eyes with a hoof.

“Thanks,” I sniffed.

“You’re welcome, Shiny,” she smiled softly. “Why don’t we all go get some lunch? I hear Donut Joe is having a sale on Eclairs today.”

“Aren’t those your favorite, bro?” Velvet winked at me.

I nodded. “His custard cream ones.”

“Well then, I’ll buy you a dozen!” he shouted. “That should help with those bad breakup woes.”

We were never ‘technically’ together, but whatever, it was the thought that counts. “Fine.” I nodded.

Twinkleshine paused and watched me for a moment. She led the way out of the room while my brother stayed by my side. We trotted out the door closed it behind us. Of course, doughnuts were not going to help in the long run not when Chryssy and her subject’s lives were at stake but I didn’t know what else to do. Perhaps that proved even more I wasn’t the leader type. With my heart heavy but my stomach empty, I followed after my friends.


Above Canterlot Castle- Queen Chrysalis

I just couldn’t believe it. What did Chrys think she was doing? {What did you do?} I yelled. Wait, that hadn’t come out right. In fact, it hadn’t come out at all.

“What do you think, dearie?” she growled. Of course, her voice could now be heard. “You were just going to let Hope ruin all I’ve worked for, so I took over.”

{But how did you do it? I mean, last time I can understand. Shiny surprised us by his declaration of love. This time though?} I shook my head — well, metaphorical head since she had control of our actual head right now.

“I figured out a while ago I could regain control when our emotions were... intense,” she grinned. “Of course, I didn’t act on such until I felt it necessary.” She hovered high above Canterlot castle and looked down on the ponies far below us.

{Are you crazy?} I yelled. {What if somepony sees us out here?}

“It doesn’t matter anymore. Let them see us in our glory!” she cackled. “Either way, we are going home. Forget that foal of a stallion, forget Celestia and her precious elements, and forget this stupid city. My changelings need me, and I am going to protect them.”

{We can’t! We have to stay here. I-I think I was too hard on Shiny. He was just stressing me out so much and I couldn’t think straight.}

“It is what he had to hear, dearie,” she growled. “I know you think you care for him, but it is a lie. Even if we could, he is not fit to be by our side as King.” Chrys flew over the first few pillars of the castle, the canopy of trees from the Everfree forest on the far edge of our view. “Besides, now he can find some sweet little pony mare that will baby the little foal,” she sneered.

{Yeah, I guess that would be better for him,} I mumbled. Shiny was the sweetest pony I had met since arriving in Equestria, but a fighter he was not. With how much he overreacted, he would fit right in with those flower mares in Ponyville that fainted at the ‘littlest horrible thing’. Well except for the fainting part. I let out a growl. {But there is so much more we can do here. I know if we keep trying we can convince Celestia to help. We need to go back.} I searched for the link we had, Chrys and me. Sure, I hadn’t really needed to do much with it before — let alone see it — but I had to figure out how to regain control.

“Are you really so foalish?” she groaned. “She refuses to help us! Nothing you do will convince her otherwise.”

{We can redeem ourselves if we keep trying,} I sighed. {The ponies are overall good creatures. They just need to see our sincerity.} If I kept her talking, maybe I could figure it out… ah! Our connection, interweaved throughout what looked like our whole body, the main threads around our brain, pulsed before me. This was quite interesting, seeing things from inside of us. It reminded me of those shows about the human body I had watched, our connection acting like a second nervous system or something like that — science was never my strong suit — with the magic flowing through us glowing a faint green.

I might not have understood all of it. Colt, even how they explained magic in the show was often left up to the viewer's imagination, but I felt an almost... instinctual grasp on what I was seeing. Whatever it was, I just hoped I could figure out the right place to poke and prod so we could return.

Chrys stopped and landed on the roof of the astronomy tower. “Are you that dense? UGH!” She facehoofed and gritted her teeth. “How the hay did Discord decide you were the right one to take over after me? You’re no better than that whimpering foal we left behind. No wonder you like him so much. You pretty much ARE him!” she yelled.

{Excuse me?} I huffed. {I do NOT panic like he does. There are many things different about us.} Now, how did Chrys flip our... what, souls? Essences? A push here, a shove there while we were emotional?

“Oh please,” she rolled our eyes. “You are both weak, have a delusional hope in Celestia, and think the world is all ‘sunshine and rainbows’. Sure you might not be the panicking type like him, but if Discord had brought you here as a pony you would have been perfect for each other! You would have been brainwashed under Celestia’s rule and brought about children who would all feel the exact same way.”

She took off again, higher and higher into the sky. “You are not worthy of the title Queen of the Changelings; you are not worthy of being a changeling at all!” she growled.

{What?} I gasped and returned my attention to her. {Of course, I am. I am far more changeling than pony. If I have failed at being a Queen, then I would say that is your fault for not training me well enough. That is the point of your being here still, isn’t it?}

“Perhaps the real point of my still being here is to continue to serve my changelings!” she hissed. “My daughter needs me. You have no clue what it is like to lose a child! I−” she grimaced, and then shook our head. “Look, we are both here now. We must do what is right for our subjects.”

{Exactly and going back will not solve anything,} I huffed. {You are right that I don’t know how it feels to lose a child. It is not something I want to know. We need to figure out a better way to stop Hope than just barging past her army though.} I looked back to our connection, prodding at it with my metaphorical hoof. Yes, if I pulled right there quickly enough, it should reverse what Chrys had done. Maybe? I had to try, but first, I had to get her just a little bit angrier.

“There is no other way,” she snarled. “Joining her is NOT an option. It would just bring us destruction later rather than sooner.”

{Then that is why we must continue to try to convince Celestia,} I said. {Perhaps that friend of Twilight’s, Fluttershy, would be of help? If she could befriend Discord and get others to trust her opinion of him, why not us?}

“GRAAAAAHHHH,” she yelled and held our forehooves to her head. “We do NOT have time to befriend that shy butterball!” Our eyes glowed green for a moment as she snarled.

There! I took a deep breath and pulled the cord. It flashed with a bright lime green magic and let out a loud crack. Like the force of a snapped rubber band, I could suddenly feel my hooves again with my wings buzzing behind me.

A jolt of excruciating pain ran down my spine and to my hooves. I let out a yelp as it rushed through every inch of me, even my tail. What went wrong? “C-Chrys?” I whispered. I ground my teeth together, trying to ride out the pain, but it just seemed to get worse. “Chrys?” I said again, surprised she wasn’t yelling at me for taking back control.

Pain coursed through me like fire and was growing every moment. I could feel my eyelids getting heavy. The air rushing past my chitin just making the pain all the worse. I tried to flap my wings, but they weren’t responding. I felt a pair of strong hooves catch me just before the pain consumed me.


Canterlot- Donut Joe’s - Shiny Whistle

As we entered Donut Joe’s, Velvet led us over to a corner table near the back. It had been some time since we were last here together, but Velvet and I had always tried to snag the same booth since we were colts. Luckily, our usual booth was open. Velvet and I slid in on the side facing the door, Twinkleshine in front of us.

“What can I get you today?” One of Donut Joe’s waitresses, a petite chocolate-colored unicorn with a peppermint cutie mark asked, holding up a pad of paper and pencil.

“Let’s see, two glazed donuts and a frozen hot chocolate for me,” Velvet said. “For my brother, here a dozen of Joe’s best custard eclairs and a hot chocolate with marshmallows−”

“Actually, could I make that a coffee?” I asked. “Decaf, black, no cream or sugar.”

“Since when you do drink coffee?” Velvet asked.

“Just want to try something different,” I said.

“But coffee?”

“Just let me drink what I want!” I growled, stomping a hoof on the table. Great, why don’t I just keep proving her right? I groaned and leaned back in the booth and rubbed the frog of each hoof over my eyes. I’d swear I could feel every eye in the shop on me.

“Chill, Shiny,” Velvet sighed and nodded to the mare. “Coffee it is then.” I guess the waitress must be used to ponies reacting crossly as she she didn’t even bat an eye at my outburst. Or was it because I was like this all the time? Was I? Ugh, probably and I just didn’t realize it.

“And for you miss?”

“Just a scone and a White Chocolate Mocha,” Twinkleshine said.

“Alright, I’ll have those out for you all in a few minutes.” She flipped to a new page in her notebook and moved to take the order of two tired looking mares a few tables down.

“Shiny−”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Velvet,” I grumbled. “Just let me be.”

He sighed. “Very well.”


It wasn’t until I had finished off my third éclair and second mug of bitter coffee that I felt my nerves finally settling down. I had cleaned up a bit before we left the castle, washing the tears from my face and combing my mane, but I probably still looked pathetic. I felt pathetic. No, worse, I felt numb to it all.

My brother and Twinkleshine sat with now empty plates in front of both of them. The donut shop had grown crowded around us. The loud voices of ponies as they chattered and laughed with each other filled my ears. They cared nothing for the pony whose heart had been shattered sitting behind them.

I was still in utter shock. This breakup had come out of nowhere and my heart was still with the dear Queen. I didn’t know if I could love another after this grievous wound she had given me. Despite all this, I still cared for her and want her to find the love I couldn’t give her.

Velvet rubbed his royal purple hoof down my back. “What do you say we go home?” he asked. “We can start searching for Dew again. Perhaps with your help, we’ll have better luck?”

“That might be for the best,” I sighed. How could I even face Nemoria and Acronicta now, after what happened? I couldn’t bear to see their devastated faces when they heard what happened. I looked over at Twinkleshine. “Could you take care of the girls? I-I don’t know what is going to happen to them now that she is gone…”

Twinkleshine gently placed her hoof upon my own. “They are good fillies. I’ll make sure they go somewhere safe — no matter what happens tomorrow.” She took a sip from her mocha. “Though, I think you should talk to them — at least once more. They care a lot for you.”

“I-I can’t,” I shook my head. “They remind me too much of her.”

“Well, we are still planning on working on you becoming a better pony, aren’t we?” she grinned. “Part of that would be not showing fear of what others think of you.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” I nodded. I grabbed another éclair from my plate and bit into it, savoring the warm, buttery pastry. “Do you think we should do that first before Velvet and I… go home?”

Twinkleshine nodded. “If things do go as badly as you think tomorrow, they will need comfort. Losing their friends and family would be so-so hard at their age.” She bit her lip and turned away.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said. “What matters now is protecting those we can protect. Those two fillies’ protection is something we can manage.”

“Speaking of, was there anypony with them when we left?” Velvet asked.

Twinkleshine gasped and then facehoofed. “I-I don’t think so. Discord was busy with the princesses. Their guards are in the dungeons−”

“And we are all here,” I groaned. Everypony had been so wrapped up with my problems we had forgotten all about them!

“I hope they are okay,” Velvet said.

“M-me too,” I nodded. I waved a hoof at the chocolate-colored waitress.

“Yes?” she asked as she trotted over.

“Could we get these to go?” I asked, pointing at my remaining eclairs.

“Of course, let me get you a box.” she grinned and hurried off.

Even if I didn’t want to see them just yet, their safety mattered more. They hadn’t done anything wrong. They were innocent and had only brought us joy. It was the least I could do to keep them safe. No matter how I felt.

The front door of the shop flew open as a frazzled looking dark-grey unicorn stallion burst in. “They’ve returned!” he shouted. “Hide your loved ones; hide yourselves! The changelings have returned!”

Panic filled the room like an angry beehive. Tables were overturned, shrill screams filled the air, and both pastries and drinks were flung into the air and splattered on the floor as ponies ran toward the door. The stallion, who had started the panic, clung to the door as he tried not to get trampled.

With the help of Twinkleshine, I levitated him over to us and out of harm’s way. “What happened?” I asked.

“Like I said, they returned!” he shuddered.

“What do you mean? Are they attacking?” Twinkleshine said.

“Not yet,” he shook his head. “Their Queen was spotted flying over the castle.”

I cringed. Had she been so angry at me she didn’t even think to hide her true form before she left? “A-and her changelings?” I stuttered.

“N-none seen yet, but then it was their Queen to appear first last time.” He looked up at the three of us. “Are none of you scared? Do you not have family to warn?”

“We’ve kind of dealt with them before,” Twinkleshine said.

“I’m not the type to panic and run,” Velvet snorted.

“Where did she go?” I asked.

“Oh, that,” the grey unicorn nodded. “Flash Sentry did –something- to her, not sure what, and she fell from the sky like a dead duck.”

“WHAT?” I yelled as my ears drooped and my mouth gaped open. “He-he KILLED her?”

He shrugged. “No idea. I saw him grab her after she fell from the air, but after that, there were so many pegasi guards in the air I couldn’t see anything else.”

No, no please no she couldn’t be dead! Even if she didn’t love me... if she had died… I couldn’t stand it! We had to get back to the castle. I had to know the full story.

“So you set up a panic when it seemed like everything was in the Princess’s control?” Twinkleshine snorted.

He glared up at her. “One of them is taken care of. Just because they have the Queen, doesn’t mean her army isn’t ready to attack to get her back!”

“Let’s just get ‘home’,” Velvet said and ushered Twinkleshine and me toward the door. “We need to check that everypony is safe.” He turned to look back at the unicorn. “Thanks for letting us know. We’ll stay safe.”

“You’re welcome,” he said proud of the ‘good’ job he did ‘informing’ everypony of the dire situation. .

“Home? You want to go home?” I shouted. We couldn’t go home. We needed to get to the− oh. I shook my head and plowed ahead. “Yes, you’re right let’s go.”

Velvet and Twinkleshine followed behind me as we stepped out of the shop. Besides a few ponies racing down the street away from us, everything had gone strangely still. Shutters snapped as they were closed over windows, and, for some houses, I could even see a faint glow of magical protection.

I turned my gaze to the castle to see it was as busy as our current street was dead. The gleam of gold and silver armored ponies covered it like ants at a picnic. Had we missed so much in our short time away?

The three of us raced toward the castle. My heart pounded as we dodged around spilled carts of mixed fruits and broken pottery. Please be okay, please be okay, oh please be okay, I kept repeating over and over.

“Halt!” a tall, white pegasus stallion clad in golden armor shouted and held his spear out before us.

“We’re meant to be here,” I said. “We have rooms in the castle, sir.”

“Do you? Or is it the ponies you are disguised as that have the rooms?” he growled.

“We’re not changelings!” I shouted.

“We just need to check on my brother’s friend. We heard she got into some sort of trouble?”

“You don’t need to worry about us,” Twinkleshine said softly and stepped in front of us.

“I’m sorry miss, but none of you may enter,” the guard grunted.

“We are welcome here, Sparks,” Twinkleshine continued. “Please let us in.” She stared at the guard, not even an ear twitching. “I promise we mean nopony any harm.” She swirled her forehoof back and forth before his muzzle.

“Ugh… Welcome.. You are welcome here… yes,” he repeated. “I’m sorry for holding you up,” he muttered and held a hoof to his forehead. He let out a groan and stepped to the side. “Very well, you may enter.”

“Thank you,” she chirped and led the way inside.

“Woah, that was pretty awesome!” Velvet said.

“I knew the guard back there,” she said. “Sparks is a good pony and will listen when calmly persuaded.” She grinned sheepishly. “But don’t worry about that right now. We need to find out where she was taken!”

“You’re right,” I said. I had to know if she was okay. If she was dead, I was not certain I could take it.

The three of us raced up the hallway. A few maids screamed as we ran by and one even jumped into another’s hooves and trembled.

“Colt, you see one changeling and everyone panics,” Velvet sighed.

“Where do you think they took her?” I paused from my panicked run. “The dungeons? The throne room? T-the morgue?” I shuddered at that last thought.

“Why don’t we try our quarters first?” Twinkleshine suggested. “Then we can make sure the girls are okay at the same time.”

“Sounds like a valid plan to me,” Velvet nodded.

“Then let’s go.” I turned down the next hallway only to run smack dab into Discord.

“Why, is that really you, dear Shiny?” he said, picking me up in his lion's paw by my tail.

“Of course it’s me!” I huffed and wiggled in his grasp. “Let me go! I need to go check on Chryssy.”

He frowned, but complied and dropped me next to Velvet. “I don’t know if you want to see her, lovercolt.”

Oh no, did that mean something bad had happened? Had Flash KILLED her? “If he killed her, I-I’ll wring his little fluffy neck!” I growled. To Tartarus if she loved me; I still cared if she was dead!

“Shiny!” Velvet scolded. He wrapped his hooves around me and hugged me close. “Don’t be talking like that. That is not like you.”

“He’s right little lilac one,” Discord said as he poked my horn. “Do you really want to kill the one that saved her from being a little splattered bug on the ground?”

“Wait, what?” I blinked slowly once, twice, then shook my head. “He SAVED her?”

“You mean she’s not dead?” Twinkleshine asked.

“Do you think the entire castle guard would be crawling around if she were?” Discord huffed. “No, she is very much alive, but there were a few… complications.”

“Complications?” I growled. “What complications?”

“That is on a need-to-know basis, little Shiny,” he smirked, poking my muzzle with one talon.

“What about the girls?” Twinkleshine asked. “Are they okay?”

Discord nodded. “Oh yes, they are well. The moment I sensed it happening, I snapped them to somewhere safe. Chryssy’s cover may have been blown, but the little fillies’ have not.”

“It? It what?” I groaned. I struggled in Velvet’s grip. “Let go, Velvet!”

“Not until you calm down,” he snorted.

“Like I said Shiny, you don’t need to know,” Discord huffed. “Though I suppose I could take you to see her.”

“Yes! Please do!”

“Well since you asked so nicely,” Discord winked and with a snap of his fingers we appeared in the main room of our quarters.

To my surprise, the room was devoid of guards. Were they all busy searching for Chryssy’s army? As if they would find it. “The guards do know she is the only one actually in Canterlot, don’t they?”

Discord shook his head. “It’s not like I might have mentioned seeing a random one or two…”

“What? Why?”

“Our dear little Ladybug needs her rest,” he shrugged. “She wasn’t going to get it with them watching her every move.”

“Can I see her?” Colt, there I went again. He had just said she needed rest. “O-or not. I mean if she’s sleeping.”

“Perhaps it would be best to wait,” Discord nodded. “But I know you are not the type to want to wait, little Shiny, so be my guest.” He held a paw out to the door and opened it halfway.

Even Discord could see that? Yep, she was so right about me. I took a few steps inside and frowned. The door closed softly behind me but I paid it little heed. Chryssy lied on the bed. She was asleep but kept mumbling something I couldn’t quite make out. From what I could see she looked fine on the outside, but much of her was blocked from my view by Flash Sentry.

Flash had grabbed a chair, pulled it up to the side of her bed, and sat down. He didn’t touch her, but he did watch as she tossed and turned. I watched him for a moment, his wings tucked against his barrel and his golden helmet placed on the nightstand. His blue mane was in disarray, but otherwise he looked well.

I was thankful he had saved her, but now as he stayed next to her still, I couldn’t help but see the vast difference in the two of us. He was a strong stallion and a guard who was able to fight for what he wanted to protect. Sure he was still young, and I didn’t know if he had ever seen a real battle, but what did that matter when compared to me?

“Hello.”

“What?” I shook my thoughts away and looked up to see Flash had turned to me. “Oh, hello.”

“Come to check on her huh?”

“What happened? I mean one stallion down at Donut Joe’s seems to think you did this to her.”

He shook his head. “I’m not really sure. I heard shouting so went to investigate and saw her flying around up above the castle. The next moment she was plummeting down and I raced up to catch her before she reached the ground.”

“Was nopony else around?”

“Not at the time. As I brought her back inside though, it took Discord to keep anypony else from bothering her. Why I protected her well… it was just my training and discipline coming into play.” He turned back around. “She’s been muttering something about a mare called ‘Chrys’ but that’s all I’ve been able to make out.”

I nodded. At least the grey stallion had gotten something right. I just wished I had been around to help her. “Well, thank you for saving her.” I placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Even if you don’t trust her.”

“She’s Princess Celestia’s guest, even with everything she has done. Until Celestia revokes that I will do what I can to see her guests are well taken care of.”

We both looked up and back over to Chryssy as she lets out a gasp and sits up. “Where is she?” she moaned and held a hoof to her forehead. “Chrys? CHRYS!”

“Chryssy, what’s wrong?” I asked. “Who is this Chrys?”

Her eyes popped open wide and looked to somewhere beyond Flash and me. “Chrys! Colt, girl answer me! I’m sorry, I’m sorry…”

I looked over at Flash but he just shrugged and shook his head. “Like I said, I found her alone.”

“No, nonono,” Chryssy moaned. Her muzzle scrunched up and she gritted her teeth together. “Please no, don’t leave me Chrys… NO!” She began to sob with huge tears trickling down her face. “She’s gone, she’s gone. I’ve KILLED HER! No….”

“What?” I gasped. She had killed somepony?

“Chrysalis, calm down and explain−” Flash started before Chryssy let out an anguished howl.

“She’s DEAD! Chrys, no I… you can’t be gone. It’s all my fault!” she howled. She collapsed forward on her belly and cried into her hooves.

“I don’t think she even realizes we’re here,” Flash sighed. “Whatever happened out there before I spotted her must have been terrifying.”

I was speechless. What could we do for her? I had no clue. Great, chalk that up as one more reason I was not fit for her. “Celestia’s refusal was hard for her to take.”

“Well it was my duty to tell her what I saw,” he shrugged. “No matter what the consequences.”

I sighed and turned back to Chryssy who was just mumbling the name ‘Chrys’ over and over again. Who was this Chrys? How had she killed them? Why was she so devastated about it? All I knew is I wasn’t going to get any answers this way. Did I even deserve to know them when she didn’t want anything to do with me anymore?

“What should we do?” I asked. “I-I hate to see her so upset.”

“Just wait until she is ready to talk, I guess,” Flash said and rubbed a hoof through his mane. “Sorry, I’ve just never really been good with mares.”

I snorted. “After today I feel the same way.” I leaned forward and rubbed a hoof up and down one of her forelegs but got no reaction she had even noticed.

“Well, you are not alone,” he nodded. “We’ll figure this out when she calms down enough to talk. Why don’t you get some rest? You look exhausted.”

I looked down at Chryssy. Her sobs seemed to have subsided for the moment. Perhaps she had cried herself back to sleep? “Perhaps a little sleep won’t hurt,” I whispered. Even if I didn’t want to leave her alone I’d be useless with no sleep. Even more than she already thought I was.

“Go, I’ll watch over her,” he urged and pushed me toward the door. “I’ll let you know if anything changes.”

Him watch over her? I cringed at the thought. Yet he was a guard and had even saved her. Would it be better to just let him do so? What if he really could protect her better than I? Sure Celestia hadn’t put her in the dungeons along with her changelings but that had little if anything to do with me, right? Yet, I guessed it didn’t matter anymore if she didn’t want me did it? Flash was a good pony and one of many talents. It took a lot of perseverance to get as far as he had at his age, something that I didn’t have a drop of. Perhaps he would be a better match for the mare I cared for. I bit my lip and nodded. “Please do. Take good care of her.”


Canterlot Castle- Queen Chrysalis

It was the worst feeling I could have ever imagined. Sure before I came to Equestria, I never even thought of sharing my mind with another. Such a close relationship was something only read in those cheesy sci-fi novels at the drugstore. Yet now with her gone I just wished I could have it back again.

I rubbed my sore eyes and lifted my head to find myself back in my room. How had I returned? All I could remember was the excruciating pain after I gained back control and falling, falling… wait, hadn’t somepony caught me? Yes, they had, obviously. I looked to the right side of my room to see an empty chair and the door slightly ajar. Well, whomever it was they hadn’t stuck around too long it seemed.

My head whipped around at the sound of shattering glass. Scattered across the floor was what remained of my balcony window. About a third of the way into the room, a red brick lay amongst the broken glass. “What the−” I whispered. Who would toss a brick through my window? Why? I looked back to the window as a cool breeze found its way inside and my heart dropped.

The reds and purples of dusk were already fading and the darker oranges and greens of sunset swallowed the sky. “We missed the deadline!” I moaned, struggling to rise from the bed. I stifled a yelp as a milder version of the pain from before rippled across my chitin.

I stumbled out of bed, placing each hoofstep carefully as I looked out at the fading sky. What were we to do now? I kicked at the brick with a growl and watched it roll a few times before coming to a stop. Closer to the broken window now, the wind caught hold of something tied to the brick with a piece of string.

“How cliché, Hope,” I mumbled but still wrapped my magic around it and pulled it closer to me, only to have it drop about halfway as my levitation spell failed. What the hay? I was good at levitation, it was the easiest of spells! How could it just fail like that? Was it because of Chrys? I shook my head. Didn’t matter right now. I stepped carefully over to the brick and picked it up in my hoof. I placed it on the bed and used my teeth to pull at the string.

A piece of paper fell to the floor that looked like it had been torn from some book. I picked it up and held it in one hoof. On the top was a picture of a bright red ladybug sitting on a brown mushroom. It had a panicked look on its face. Below the ladybug was what looked like a nursery rhyme with parts of it scribbled out and new words written in the margins. As I read through it my eyes grew wide in horror.

“Ladybug, ladybug fly away home.
Your Castle’s on fire!
Your children shall burn!
Except little Citheronia,
Whom I've foalnapped
Have fun!”

There was no signature, but I knew it must be from Hope. The paper fell from my grasp. H-how dare she! How dare she take the one thing that mattered most to us, to Chrys! The pang of losing her just like that still clung to me. No, no I would NOT lose everything today. Hope would not get away with that.

I looked back to try my wings and breathed a sigh of relief when I rose a foot into the air and hovered. At least those still worked. We− I might not have much strength, but I wasn’t going to waste what little I had left sleeping in the home of those who hated me. I had a hive to save. If there was anything left by the time I arrived. I dived through the broken window, twisted around to face the Everfree forest, and started the journey I should have let Chrys take hours ago.

End of Day Three.

Author's Note:

We come to the end of day three. The die is cast. Who will survive? What will come of the perils our beloved characters face? Find out next time on: Long Live the Queen!:pinkiecrazy:
Give lots of love to Knowledge for making this chapter not only longer, but for making it the way it was meant to be. It wouldn't even be half as good without his awesome skills! :pinkiehappy: Best editor a ling could ask for. :twilightsmile:
As usual, comment, critique, like, and feel free to make predictions. I do so love to see what you all think will happen next. *cackles*