• Published 11th Nov 2015
  • 3,276 Views, 261 Comments

Long Live the Queen - QueenChrysalisForever



The current Queen Chrysalis has been wounded beyond the healing a good feeding provides. So she invites Discord over, to perform a spell he has been helping with for centuries. Will the new Queen be able to handle the pressure? Or will she fail?

  • ...
16
 261
 3,276

Retribution

Royal Visitor Quarters- Queen Chrysalis


Just stay calm, I had to stay calm. As we arrived at the doors to our quarters I paused, turning to look at Cadence and the royal guards. “Perhaps it would be best if you are not here for this,” I said. “I will tell Princess Celestia what I learn tonight when we talk again, but you might not want to watch.” Not that I knew what would happen, but I could feel how livid Chrys was at Morpheus and Danaus. I might not be able to control that anger if she got much worse.


“Yes, send her away,” Chrys growled. “They are OUR subjects, so we should be able to deal with them as we see fit.”


Princess Cadence sighed, closing her eyes and shaking her head. “Hurting them will not solve anything Chrysalis.”


“Perhaps not, but it might show Celestia how serious we are taking this!” Chrys huffed. “Some of my changelings disobeyed a direct order, justice must be served.”


“I am perfectly aware of that,” I snapped, upper lip curled and my teeth exposed. “But please, let us discuss this in private? Whatever they know, they must still be punished for not telling me, if that is the worst they did.” I glared down at them, lifting one eyebrow as they grinned at me sheepishly.


“I’ll watch over her,” Shiny said, grinning at Cadence. “We all will, right?” he turned to look at Discord and Velvet, who both nodded. “But I trust she won’t need it.” Shiny smiled up at me, ears perked up. “Chryssy would never kill anypony, right?”


I shook my head. “No, I wouldn’t.”


“Another changeling perhaps though, if it was needed,” Chrys hissed. “We do what is necessary. If the two of them can provide a reason to live? Then they shall live.”


Cadence gazed long and hard at us for a few minutes, a hoof to her chin as she pondered, ears twitching. She finally sighed, nodding. “Very well. But as you are on Equestrian lands, and the problem occurred here in our castle, I ask that you hold back on any final punishment.”


“What?” Chrys growled softly. “So they want final say, is that it?”


“So then, you want Princess Celestia to have final say on what happens to them?” I asked.


Cadence nodded. “It would be for the best. Of course, she can talk to you about it at length, and come to a compromise.”


It was probably the best we would get. “Very well, but I can’t promise they will be in the exact same condition they are now.”


“Just don’t be too hard on them until we know all the details, that is all I ask,” Cadence said softly. I nodded. With a wing to each of them, Cadence led Flash and the unicorn guard away with her. The unicorn guard looked back at us, narrowing his eyes, but still followed Cadence, soon turning a corner and out of sight.


“Finally,” Chrys sighed. “Now, let’s find out what happened and get that punishment started.”


Shiny opened the door for us and we all filed in, Morpheus and Danaus so slowly I had to shove them forward with a hoof. “Delaying your punishment won’t make it any easier,” I sneered, the door clicking closed softly as Shiny entered behind me. “Now,” I said, taking a step forward and spreading out my wings. “Let us begin.”


“Let’s give them a show, shall we?” Chrys chuckled. Takes a little more love energy, but a big burst of flames usually gets their attention better than a quick one any changeling can do.”


I thought back to the wedding from the show, how each little part of Chrys had appeared piece by piece among the pillar of flames, and nodded. She was right, that would be better. When in a hurry, sure it wasn’t the best way, but it sure sent a scary image to those ponies back then. We hadn’t really practiced it, but I was sure I could do it.


My eyes glowing, I glared down at Morpheus and Danaus, then, took a deep breath and let the power burst out of me. A pillar of green flame surrounded me, and I grinned in delight, watching it for a moment before I concentrated on the change. Feathers popped away to reveal insectile wings, my horn grew long upon my head, and the yellow fur fell to reveal my black chitin. As the flames dissipated, I let out a loud cackle and bared my fangs.


“Always one for the dramatics, aren’t you Chryssy?” Discord chuckled, clapping as Shiny and Velvet gazed in awe.


“Good to see they enjoyed our show,” Chrys said. “Now, for the others.”


I turned back to Morpheus and Danaus, ears down and eyes narrowed, to see they had returned to their changeling forms. “Now,” I growled, “explain.” The two of them backed against one of the couches, wings trembling behind them. Colt, I could sure be scary when I wanted to!


“I-it was all Morpheus’s idea,” Danaus stammered. “I assure you, my Queen, I had no ill intentions when I went along with his plan.” He took a deep breath, let it out slowly, and bowed down to me. “I was thinking of the hive, how we could really use every last drop of love possible.”


“That doesn’t really tell me what you did.” I frowned, turning to Morpheus. “So, it was your plan to disobey a direct order?” I hissed.


Morpheus nodded, ears going flat against his head. “B-but it wasn’t exactly against your orders,” he said. “They were still alive when my patrol left them.”


I let out a deep sigh, facehoofing. “So you basically left just enough love so you wouldn’t be killing them directly?” He nodded, forehooves held to his chest as he gave a small smile.


“So it seems my orders were not specific enough for him,” Chrys hissed. “Does he not realize what he has done by being so foolish?”


I stomped a hoof on the ground, making them both jump. “Do you not realize what you have done?” I asked. “It is lucky Celestia seems to have forgiven us. If she finds out the instigator who was directly involved in the death of her ponies is in her castle? She’ll be calling for your head,” I snorted, turning to Danaus. “Perhaps even both of your heads.”


“She wouldn’t do that,” Shiny said, shaking his head and taking a step away from Discord and Velvet. “Princess Celestia is a benevolent ruler, she’s not a killer.”


“That might not be so this time Shiny,” Velvet said softly, putting a hoof to his brothers back. “We might have had harmony in Equestria for many years, but losing that many ponies? I-I just don’t see how she can justify it bro.”


“Well at least when she hears this,” Shiny said. “She’ll know Chryssy was telling the truth.”


“Velvet’s right, no matter how harmonious Celestia might be, this can’t be justified away,” she growled. “It would cause chaos among her ponies. Though I hate to lose good soldiers, if they won’t obey us they are useless.”


“Please, my Queen,” Danaus plead, kneeling down and gazing up at us with tears in the corner of his eyes. “I’ll do whatever thou would have me do. Just don’t let them kill me.” He wiped at his eyes and licked his lips. “I was a foal to follow Morpheus, should have known after the first group my patrol…” he paused, trembling.


Even through all of Danaus’s begging, Morpheus just sat still, ears down and eyes closed. “Morpheus?” I said, turning to him. “Are you not going to beg for your life?”


He shook his head. “No, my queen.” Looking back up at me, he stood boldly. “I did what had to be done at the time. If it wasn’t for Danaus and me, there would have been a lot less love to go around the hive. The love our patrols collected was mostly used up healing those who were injured when we were catapulted away from Canterlot.” Morpheus looked down at the sobbing Danaus and shook his head slightly. “The love we gained from Princess Cadence and her consort Shining Armor’s shield of love helped, but many more would have died if things had been different.”


“I suppose he does make a good point,” Chrys said. “Even when we landed in that town of little cuddly critters who oozed love, we still lost hundreds of changelings. Mmm did those critters have such sweet love,” she purred. “But no matter, if we go easy on them, the others will find us weak,” she snarled. “And as a queen, we must strive never to be seen as weak. No matter the reason why, they must be punished for disobeying us.”


“Enough, both of you!” I stomped a hoof again, glaring at Morpheus and Danaus. “No matter if you did it for good or ill, you still deliberately disobeyed me.”


Danaus stood back up, wiping at his eyes with one hoof. “Yes, my Queen,” he whispered, looking up at me. “Is there anything else you would like to know?”


“Yes,” I said. “Who else was in your patrols that day, and how many of them still survive?


They both blinked up at me in surprise. “Why, our hatchmates of course, my queen.” Morpheus said. “It was a good egg year that year.”


“I-I think some are still alive,” Danaus mumbled. “Most didn’t make it, due to severe injuries. Of those still alive? I haven’t talked to them in months. They were not exactly happy with what I told them to do.” He blushed, letting out a deep sigh.


“Only two or three others still live from my patrol,” Morpheus admitted, closing his eyes.


“Well, we shall have to see what Celestia wants done with them too,” I groaned. At least it seemed most of those who had disobeyed us had already paid the price of doing so.


“S-so you’re not going to punish us yourself?” Danaus asked.


“No matter how much we might want to,” Chrys growled. “If we had known about this sooner, the traditional punishment would have been taken out on them. Danaus would have lost his wings, being only an accomplice, even if willing. As for Morpheus? Squished like a bug,” she hissed. “But no, you had to promise Cadence we would let Celestia deal final punishment.”


Colt, this wasn’t something we had covered earlier. The punishments were quite harsh, as even though a changeling could still become a pegasus if they lost use of their wings, actually flying was harder to accomplish. As if Chrys hadn’t told me that plenty of times as she thrilled in flying again. “Since the crime was committed in Canterlot,” I sighed, shaking my head. “Princess Celestia gets a say in how you are punished.”


They both breathed a sigh of relief, kneeling to me once more. “Thank you my queen,” they said, then stood once more.


“Don’t thank me just yet,” I said. “Celestia might think of an even worse punishment for you.”


“I think you handled that quiet well,” Chrys said. “I probably would have thrown them around by their tails a bit at least, make sure they got the message.”


I chuckled, thinking of it now, that might have been fun, but no it wouldn’t be appropriate. Well, that was one thing taken care of for now. All this yelling was giving me a headache though. Would anypony blame me if I just went back to bed?


“Discord, and… Velvet?” I said, turning to them.


“Yes, my dear Chryssy?” Discord grinned.


“Can I trust you two to watch over them?” I snorted, glaring over at Morpheus and Danaus. “Just until Celestia is done with her court and we can continue our talk.”


“Why of course!” Discord beamed, rubbing his claw and paw together. “Want us to have some fun with them too?” he winked.


“Just keep them out of trouble and in one piece,” I sighed, rubbing my head with a forehoof.


“Can do,” Velvet said, saluting. He led the way toward the room on the far left, next to the room the girls and Twinkleshine were in. Discord picked up Morpheus and Danaus, one in his paw the other his talon, and flew toward the door.


I took a deep breath and let it out as they closed the door behind them, Morpheus and Danaus tossing me a nervous gaze just before the door hid them from view.


“So then what are we going to do now?” Shiny asked, trotting over to me.


“Well, I−” I started, the fillies door opening interrupting me.


“Shiny!”


“You’re back!” Nemoria and Acronicta yelled, running out in their natural forms and tackling him in a hug.


“Oh, hello girls,” Shiny chuckled, wrapping a hoof around each of them and hugging them close. “Missed me did you?”


“Of course,” Nemoria snorted, booping Shiny on the nose. “You are our absolute favorite professor.”


“And the kindest one as well,” Acronicta added, smiling softly. “Why did you run away?”


“Well I…” he paused and looked over at me.


“They are young, but they might as well know,” Chrys sighed. I nodded to Shiny.


“I got scared when I found out so many died when Chryssy was last in Canterlot,” he said.


“You, scared?” Nemoria asked. “But you are such a brave pony!”


“Yeah,” Acronicta nodded. “You’re the only pony that came to the hive willingly.”


Shiny chuckled, sitting up and placing them on the couch beside him. “Well, even brave ponies can get scared sometimes. Nopony is perfect after all.”


“Shiny’s right,” Twinkleshine said, trotting out of the room the three had been in. “We all have our flaws, like sleeping in all morning?”


Nemoria and Acronicta blushed. “Well the bed was just so soft, I could stay in it for days,” Nemoria sighed, leaning back on the couch.


I chuckled, “though it might be soft, that is no excuse to stay in bed so long.”


“I’m sorry,” the fillies chorused, ears wilting.


“It’s okay,” I said, smiling at them. “Why don’t you get some fresh air? You and Twinkleshine have been cooped up in here longer than the rest of us.”


“I could take them for a walk around the castle?” Shiny offered.


“That would be good,” Chrys said. “Would let us catch a nap. Who knows how long we’ll be up talking to the princesses tonight?”


“Sure Shiny, I’m sure they would love that, wouldn’t you?” I looked to Nemoria and Acronicta, who had beaming smiles on their faces.


“Then we could practice our disguises some more,” Nemoria giggled.


“I would like to stretch my legs,” Acronicta nodded.


“Perhaps take Twinkleshine with you as well?” I suggested. “Or if you would rather be away from the fillies for a while I’d understand. After all, you didn’t come with us just to foalsit.”


Twinkleshine shook her head. “I don’t mind helping Shiny out, I love foals.” She trotted up behind the two and booped them each on the muzzle, making them giggle. “Changeling or pony, these two are very well behaved.”


“Then it is decided,” I grinned. “You four take a walk, but be safe. Very few guards or other ponies in the castle know who we really are and for now I would rather keep it that way.”


They all nodded, trotting toward the door. Twinkleshine paused, glancing up at me. “You seem different from when we met at the wedding,” she said softly, rubbing her chin with a hoof. “Change of heart perhaps?”


“Let’s just say I’m trying to turn over a new leaf,” I said and grinned.


“Colt, is everypony noticing such things?” Chrys groaned. “We’ll have to work harder on that. If anypony or ling else finds out the truth…”


“Well I like it,” she said. “Better for pony and changelings to be allies after all than enemies. Better for all of us,” she stood there for a moment longer, looking deep in thought. With a shake of her head, she turned away and followed Shiny and the fillies out of the room.


“She does have a good point,” I said softly, trotting toward our room. “If we can come to a compromise, we wouldn’t have to steal ponies to feed from.”


“It is a lovely sentiment, but unlikely to happen,” Chrys sighed. “Even if Celestia accepts us this time, after what happened at the wedding most of her ponies won’t.”


“Would it hurt to try?” I pulled open the door to our room, stepped inside and closed it behind me. “Maybe… something like is done when introducing a new pet to a home, acclimate them slowly to the pets that already live there.”


Chrys chuckled. “Are you comparing us and the ponies to pets? I think our ill will toward each other is stronger than that. Though, perhaps with time…”


“Time does solve many things,” I nodded. “Might help even more if we formed a relationship with one of their own?”


“How many times must I tell you? We can’t love,” Chrys sighed.


“Then what would you call the feelings you have for Leptostales?”


“He is the father of our daughter, and a longtime friend. As such, he is an important asset to the hive. When we return to the castle, he will be beneficial in helping to raise her to be a proper young changeling. Noling can raise a foal, or nymph if you will, better than their own parents. That is why I was concerned in getting him back home,” she huffed.


“You wouldn’t call that love?” I asked, plopping down on the bed and looking up at the ceiling.


“No,” she said. “Merely the bond of parents with their child.”


“Most would call that bond love Chrys,” I sighed. “Why do you keep refusing to believe we can love, really? Did someling or pony hurt you a long time ago? Have you even tried to love another?”


“Of course I’ve tried!” she hissed. “In my five hundred plus years alive I’ve tried dozens of times. Sure there have been changelings and ponies I have found attractive, even a few griffons, but it never goes beyond that. Never!”


I sighed, leaning back against the pillows and closing my eyes. Could it actually be true? Did I only like Shiny because he was attractive? Would there never be anything else to it? “What about the previous Chrysalis?” I asked. “Even if she was trapped in that volcano most of her time, did she ever have someone she loved?”


Chrys snorted. “Kind of hard to try to find someone to love when you are surrounded by molten lava and ash. She was lucky enough that particular volcano had creatures that lived in the lava to feed from, let alone someling or pony to care for.”


“But she wasn’t in there her whole reign right?”


“No, but after dealing with that fool Emperor Inciatus of Trot, I doubt she ever felt like trying again.” Chrys huffed. “Look, if you want to try a relationship beyond just friends with that Shiny, go ahead. It will never lead to love, no matter how hard you try.”


“I’ll prove you wrong with that,” I snorted. “We were both human once, you and I, if we could feel love back then, then we can now. Shiny loves us, and is willing to do so much for us. If anypony can help us love, it will be him.”


“Just don’t get your hopes up,” she sighed. “I’d rather not see you have to suffer. Especially since it would make me suffer as well.”


“Well gee, thanks,” I chuckled.


“Just wait until after all these negotiations are over to try please? It’s annoying enough dealing with the princesses.”


I nodded. “Very well.” After all, we wouldn’t have time for a relationship anyway. Making sure our hive was protected was the important thing to do right now. They needed us more than Shiny. I wouldn’t let Radiant Hope keep scaring us, not if I could help it. If that meant waiting a little longer to prove Chrys wrong, Shiny would just have to endure.


“Wait, what about Leptostales? You’re not mad I would rather try with Shiny than him?” I asked. “I mean, you might not feel like you love him, but wouldn’t that make things awkward for Citheronia when she gets older?”


“He knows that is just the way of the hive dearie. Sure, some of our drones form relationships with just one other, but when it comes to what the ponies would call cheating? It is just how we obtain our food,” she said. “If by some miracle you form a stronger bond than usual with Shiny, we still need to feed. He could become our main source of doing so, but feeding on him too often isn’t good for his health.”


“So we would still need to feed off other ponies,” I sighed. “I guess I still have a lot to learn, don’t I?”


“Don’t worry dearie, I’m not going anywhere,” Chryssy chuckled. “We’ll have plenty of time to teach you what you need to know.”


“I sure hope so,” I said, chuckling. “Don’t know what I would do without you.” I snuggled against the pillow, closing my eyes. “Hopefully we can get Leptostales out of the dungeons tonight. Until then, let’s enjoy the silence while it lasts.”


Canterlot Castle- Shiny Whistle


As we stepped outside our quarters, the fillies prancing behind us and giggling, Twinkleshine stuck out a hoof in front of them. They looked up at her, heads cocked to the side.


“What’s wrong Twinkle?” Acronicta asked, ears twitching.


“Aren’t you two forgetting something?” she said, lifting one eyebrow.


The two fillies looked at each other, eyes going wide as they realized they were still in their changeling forms. “Oh! Right!” Nemoria said blushing. The two of them nodded to each other and with a little flash of light each transformed into their forms they had had on the train, only switching out their pegasus wings for horns.


“Nice idea you two,” I grinned.


“Of course,” Nemoria giggled, wiggling her ears. “With you two being unicorns−”


“It makes us look like we are your foals!” Acronicta finished, the two bursting into giggles.


“Our foals−” I started, ears going down as I blushed.


“Come on you three,” Twinkleshine smirked, lowering her hoof and leading the way down the hall. I followed a step behind her, the fillies on our heels.


I hadn’t paid much attention to the halls as we walked here from the ballroom, but now as we stepped quietly I looked around. It was no surprise why visiting royalty were housed here, for everything looked much more opulent than other parts of the castle I had seen so far. The hall was painted a light pastel purple, full of light from its wide windows. Purple lilacs lined the upper walls in wall sconces, filling the air with their peaceful scent. We were the only ponies present at the time, though it wasn’t quiet.


With Nemoria and Acronicta fully awake, they darted around, looking into vases as we passed and out at the beautiful view of the river running beside the castle. “Look at this!” Nemoria shouted, pulling Acronicta over to look out the nearest window.


“Is that the statue garden?” Acronicta gasped, wiggling her flanks excitedly. “That is where Discord was imprisoned, isn’t it?”


“Yes indeed,” Twinkleshine nodded, trotting over to the fillies and putting a hoof around each of them. “If you look carefully,” she said, pointing a hoof upwards. “You can also see the astronomy tower. It is an excellent place to gaze at the stars.”


I stepped up behind them and followed her hoof. On the wing of the castle next to ours, on the closer edge, was an astronomy tower. It was set slightly away from the rest of the wing by a railed bridge, its base surrounded by wide windows that almost reached the golden plated roof. Upon the roof the upper half of a telescope could barely be seen from this position.


“There is always so much more to learn about the stars and the galaxy around us,” Twinkleshine continued. “Someday, I want to know everything about them. I’ve learned so much already, even made a few discoveries, but there are things yet to learn.”


“You really love the stars, don’t you?” Nemoria said, looking up at Twinkleshine.


“Is that why your cutie mark is of stars?” Acronicta asked, pointing to it.


Twinkleshine nodded, “Yes, I do, and yes, that would be so .”


The two looked back up at the astronomy tower, silent for the moment, then back over to Twinkleshine. “How did you get your cutie mark?” Nemoria asked.


Twinkleshine smiled. “Doing what I love,” she grinned. “The first time I got the chance to look through a telescope and looked up at the night sky bright with stars,” she sighed. “A comet shot across the sky, and somehow it immediately came to me.”


“What?” Acronicta said, cocking her head to the side. “Your cutie mark?”


“No,” Twinkleshine shook her head. “The understanding of how it moved. I had an inner instinctive grasp on astrophysics.”


“Astrowhatsits?” Nemoria wrinkled her nose, raising her eyebrows.


“I’ll explain it to you later,” Twinkleshine chuckled, running a hoof through the little filly’s mane. “After I realized what I could do, that is when my mark appeared.”


“Wow,” the two fillies gaped. A rumbling gurgle made me look down at the fillies, who blushed as they held their forehooves to their bellies.


“Sounds like somepony is hungry,” I grinned.


“We haven’t eaten since yesterday afternoon,” Acronicta whispered.


“Well, we better get you something to eat then,” Twinkleshine said stepping away from the window. “Let’s go find the dining room, it’s a little after one now anyway.”


Once again we turned to silence as we wandered down the hall, looking out for anypony that might be able to show us the way. I paused and held a hoof to my own stomach as it started to growl, remembering we had skipped breakfast this morning.


“So you’re in love with the changeling queen,” Twinkleshine said softly, turning to look at me.


“I am,” I nodded.


“That’s quite a dangerous thing for a pony, I’m sure you know?”


“Yes, I am aware of that,” I said. “But I trust Chryssy, she wouldn’t hurt me.”


“Yeah,” Nemoria trilled. “Professor Shiny is one of our teachers.”


“Professors are off limits for feeding on,” Acronicta said, holding up a hoof.


I chuckled at that, thinking about the times during our journey Chryssy had already fed upon me. Come to think of it, it hadn’t been that bad. Why, the only time I had even experienced one of those feeding headaches was from her daughter. How come I didn’t get them with her? Especially when she had fed more often than was usual for feeder ponies, according to Apatelodes.


“Doesn’t mean it won’t happen,” Twinkleshine shook her head. “Sometimes it is hard to control, especially when hungry.”


“How do you know so much?’ Nemoria piped, trotting a little faster to be next to Twinkleshine. “Did a changeling feed on you before?”


She gazed down at the filly silently for a moment, then shook her head, looking forward once more. “Something like that. Why don’t we change the subject? Wouldn’t want somepony else hearing us now would we?” Nemoria shook her head.


“Do you think they’ll have pineapple?” Acronicta asked, trotting a little faster to catch up with her friend. “I do love pineapple,” she sighed.


“I’m sure if it’s not on the table, you can ask for it,” I chuckled.


“Halt!”


I looked up to see the guards from yesterday, the dark blue unicorn of the pair holding out a spear at us. The azure blue pegasus put a hoof to the spear, pointing it back at the ground. “Sorry about Shielded, he’s a little stressed today.”


“Is there a problem?” I asked, stepping in front of Nemoria and Acronicta.


“Yes there is, guard tackler!” Shielded snorted. My ears fell slightly at his words.


“Sorry about that,” I mumbled. Had everypony heard about that?


“Don’t worry, that’s not why we are here,” the pegasus guard grinned. “Call me Midnight by the way,” he nodded to us. “Princess Celestia asked us to retrieve your party for lunch. Are the others still in your quarters?”


“Yes, but I don’t think they plan on eating,” I said. With the crazy ideas Discord and my brother were likely to cook up for the two changelings, who knew how long they might be? As for Chryssy, she had seemed stressed, and rightly so. I might not have known Morpheus or Danaus very well, but their betrayal had left her in a bad mood.


“Princess Celestia is done with court already?” Twinkleshine asked.


Midnight shook his head. “No, just the regular break for a meal. Even a Princess has to eat you know,” he said.


“She specifically wanted your friend… Soaring Song...,” Shielded huffed, planting his spear upon the floor.


“She’s busy with her guards at the moment,” I said. “They ran off on her so need some talking to.”


“Can we just go eat please Mr. Shielded?” Nemoria asked, looking up at him between my legs. She dropped her upper lip and gave him the biggest, saddest eyes.


“Yes, please?” Acronicta whispered, lowering her ears and scrunching up her nose, eyes quivering with a tear drop each.


“Come on Shielded, can’t let the fillies go hungry now can we?” Midnight said, almost tearing up himself looking down at them.


Shielded rolled his eyes and gestured behind Midnight and him with his spear, sighing. “Very well, we’ve already kept Princess Celestia waiting long enough as it is.”


“Yay thank you!” Nemoria squealed, jumping up and hugging the unicorn’s leg. He just looked down at her, shook his head and turned around. Nemoria and Acronicta hopped along behind Midnight and Shielded, while Twinkleshine and I brought up the rear.


“They’re good!” Twinkleshine whispered to me.


I nodded, chuckling. “Oh believe me I know! Even after just a few weeks teaching them, they got me wrapped around their little hooves.” They were good fillies, the total opposite of what most ponies thought of their kind. Hopefully I could change that. They deserved to be able to grow up in a world that wasn’t scared of them.


With the guidance of the two guards, it didn’t take long for us to arrive in the royal dining room. A golden chandelier hung from the middle of the burgundy ceiling, the room bathed in the cool light of the stained glass windows to our right. A long table with a simple white tablecloth sat in the middle of the room. Princess Celestia sat at the far end, two unicorn guards posted next to a door by the stained glass windows.


“You’re guests, Princess,” Shielded said, bowing to her and gesturing the four of us inside.


I led the way, Nemoria and Acronicta following slowly behind me. Twinkleshine grinned at Celestia as she trotted inside beside me.


“Thank you Shielded, Midnight,” Celestia said, nodding to them. Midnight closed the door and he and Shielded took up guard to either side of it. She then turned to look at the four of us. “Welcome, I take it our other friends couldn’t make it?”


“No Princess,” I shook my head. “Just us for lunch, if that is okay?”


“Of course it is okay dear Shiny,” she smiled, standing up and walking over to us. Her gaze turned down to Nemoria and Acronicta, who hid behind my legs nervously. “It’s okay girls, I won’t harm you.” She held a hoof out to them. “Are you hungry? My cooks should be bringing in a large fruit platter any moment now.”


“W-will it have pineapple?” Acronicta whispered, eeping as Celestia looked at her.


“Of course, is that your favorite?”


She nodded. “Yes Princess.”


“Well then, why don’t you and your friend sit next to me and I’ll make sure you get plenty of pineapple?” Celestia held her hoof a little closer to the filly.


“O-Okay,” she nodded, taking the hoof and following Celestia back to the far side of the table, Nemoria following behind her.


Twinkleshine and I took seats next to them. “How is court going today?” I asked.


“Very busy as usual,” Celestia said, smiling softly at me. “I hear you were part of that commotion a few hours ago? The guard you tackled even came to me in complaint.”


“I’m very sorry Princess,” I gulped. “Y-you know my reasoning. I’d never do it without cause!”


“Yes Shiny Whistle, I understand,” she nodded. “Yet that doesn’t excuse what you did. Nor what you helped Discord do to my sister.”


I blushed deeply, hiding my face behind my hooves. “I-I promise, that was all my brother and Discord. I had no idea they were going to do that to her. Is she okay? Has she stopped laughing?”


“Oh yes, though the singing has only recently started to fade from what she sang to me.”


I groaned, slipping down in my chair. Colt, what had I been thinking letting Discord help? Now we were all going to get thrown in the dungeons! When I heard Celestia start to laugh I looked up. “Everything okay Princess?”


“Of course Shiny,” she said, the laughter slowly diminishing. “My sister might have not been happy about what you three did, but she found the humor in it. I’d watch your back now if I were you, she’s likely to prank the three of you back.”


I breathed a sigh of relief, slumping back in my chair as Nemoria and Acronicta broke out into giggles. We all glanced over as the door opposite the one we had come in from opened. A pale blue unicorn stallion with a white apron tied around his barrel entered, pulling behind him a loaded cart full of food. Along with the promised tray full of fruit were loaves of bread, sliced cheese, and a two-tiered chocolate cake.


“Take whatever you would like,” Celestia said, lighting her horn and levitating over some sliced pineapple to Acronicta’s plate. “Some pineapple for you too dear?” she asked Nemoria, who nodded her head.


Acronicta levitated a piece to her mouth and nibbled on it, her eyes lighting up as she then popped the rest of it into her mouth. “This is so fresh and juicy!” She grabbed up another piece, tossing them into her mouth as quick as she could swallow them.


Nemoria followed after her, the two finishing what was on their plates within mere minutes. “More, please?” she asked, holding out her plate.


“Of course,” Celestia grinned, and put more on each filly’s plate.


“Aren’t you going to eat?” Twinkleshine said. I turned to see she her plate filled with assorted fruits, along with a little of the bread and cheese.


“Yeah, I should.” I levitated over a few bananas, strawberries and other assorted fruits, along with the bread and cheese, and dug in. Acronicta had been right, all the fruit was fresh, juicy, and some of the best I’d eaten.


I winced, feeling a prickling against my neck. Looking around, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, until I noticed the unicorn guard, Shielded, staring at me. The look on his face was unreadable, but the moment he noticed me looking he turned around and looked away. What was all that about? Was he in the know about who was with us? I turned back to my plate, shaking my head. Whatever was up with him, it could wait until later.


It wasn’t long before I pushed my plate aside, blinking up at the chocolate cake to see it already a third of the way gone. The innards of it were molten chocolate. I licked my lips, my mouth watering just looking at it.


“You must really love cake,” Nemoria piped. I looked to see Celestia with a large slice on her plate, a little chocolate mustache already around her muzzle.


“Where do you put it all?” Acronicta asked. “Do you have a hollow leg?”


“Acronicta!” I scolded. Her ears sunk, but Celestia just chuckled.


“Oh it is quite alright Shiny, she’s not the only foal to wonder such things.” She looked back to Acronicta. “Much of it is put to use in raising and lowering the sun each morning and evening,” she explained softly. “It takes a lot of magical energy, part of which I regain from eating. The only way I can get away with my… habit.” She rubbed a hoof through the filly’s mane. “Would you like a piece?”


“Yes please,” Acronicta nodded, holding out her plate.


“Me too please,” Nemoria said, holding her plate out as well.


Celestia cut them each a piece, watching as they dug in with squeals of delight.


The five of us sat back in our chairs a little later, smiles on each face. Server ponies came to gather the dishes and wish us all well, quickly returning to the kitchens. “I’m afraid I must leave you now, my little ponies,” Celestia said as she stood. “Last few hours of court call. Would you let Soaring Song know we can meet again at dusk, same place as last night?”


“Of course,” I nodded. “Thank you for lunch Princess.”


“Yes, thank you!” the fillies beamed. “It was delicious!”


“You are most welcome Shiny, girls,” Celestia nodded. “It was nice to see to you again Twinkleshine,” she grinned, taking a step toward the door. “Perhaps we can talk more on what you have been up to when all's said and done?”


“Of course,” Twinkleshine nodded.


I stood as Princess Celestia left, the girls getting up to stand beside me. “Ready to return to our rooms?” I asked, glancing down at Nemoria and Acronicta.


The two nodded. “Is it okay if Twinkleshine takes us to see the stars tonight though?” Nemoria asked.


I looked to the unicorn mare, who trotted over to us, nodding. “Sure, we can do that if things go to plan.” She looked to Midnight and Shielded, who were slowly walking toward us.


“Thanks for helping us find the dining room,” Nemoria beamed.


“You’re welcome, little filly,” Midnight said. Shielded just huffed, nodding.


“If you have a problem, please tell us,” I snorted, glaring at him. “I told you I was sorry.”


“I heard you,” he nodded. “But something isn’t right with you. I’ll be watching you closely while you reside in the castle.”


I blinked at him, he thought I was the strange one? Well when one loves a changeling I guess some would call that weird. “Well, I hope you find me to be just your average pony.”


“I’m sure that will be so,” Midnight said. “If you are ready, we can lead the way back to your rooms? This castle can get a little confusing.”


“Sure,” I nodded, looking to the others, who also nodded.


“Very well then. Follow us.” Shielded growled, watching each of us, without blinking, for a moment before turning around and leading the way from the dining room.




Author's Note:

So far so good on keeping with my new schedule. *crosses hooves* Not much happening this chapter, but nice to get a reprieve before the real insanity/excitement begins! :pinkiecrazy: As usual, comment/critique/like and enjoy the new chapter! See you soon for the next.