• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,802 Views, 145 Comments

Start Of A New Life - Madox



Trixie suffers of nightmares since she wore the Alicorn Amulet and returns to Ponyville to ask Twilight for help.

  • ...
1
 145
 2,802

Chapter 1 - Departing Ways

Author's Note:

Hey everybody. This is my very first try to write a fanfiction, so I would be happy for any critique from you.
I would also appreciate if you mention any mistakes I made here. English is not my first language and I did my best, but there are probably a few spelling and grammar mistakes hidden. :derpytongue2:

With this said I hope you like the beginning of my little story and I'm looking forwad to your comments below :pinkiehappy:

Chapter 1 - Separate Ways

~*~

Trixie tried to be as unobtrusive as possible in the middle of the crowd. The last thing she needed was to cause unwanted attention.

It was incredible how fast the town had recovered. There were celebrating ponies everywhere, watching the show that Twilight Sparkle had organized for Princess Celestia and her subjects. It was hard to believe that only a few hours before, the town was cowering in fear before Trixie, who had even banished Twilight from Ponyville. But even with the power of the Alicorn Amulet, Trixie was outwitted and defeated once again by Celestia's star pupil.

How could I do something like this, Trixie thought. Everything was so clear with the Amulet gone. I only wanted to prove that I'm more powerful than Twilight, and to do it I enslaved this town and kicked her out? What was I thinking? And what will I do now? If my reputation wasn't destroyed by the Ursa Minor incident, it definitely is now.

She started to retreat from the crowd. How can anypony trust me after this?

She turned around to flee once more, but paused, looking back at the stage where Twilight was performing.

One last thing, she thought.

~*~

Twilight was concentrating on the spell she had practiced that morning. Safe in her magic, Fluttershy's animal friends were flying around in a studied choreography. From their box seats, Princess Celestia and her guests from Saddle Arabia enjoyed the performance.

The performance coming to an end, Twilight was about to put the animals back on the ground when a volley of fireworks ignited behind her. Twilight turned around to look for the source and found Trixie, wearing her trademark star-spangled purple cape and wizard hat.

Twilight was confused. “Trixie?”

“It's the least I could do,” Trixie answered with a sad smile. “I treated you and your friends so horribly while I was wearing that Alicorn Amulet. I just couldn't control myself.” She looked down at her hooves, ashamed, before looking back up at Twilight. There was genuine remorse in her eyes. “You can forgive me, can't you?”

Twilight had to think twice about her answer. Trixie had always been unpleasant, but she did sound sorry... not to mention the Amulet was the cause of half their troubles.

Twilight hummed thoughtfully. "Sure," she said with a smile.

“Oh, good.” Trixie breathed a sigh of relief before returning to her usual self. "Don't you think the Great and Apologetic Trixie is the most magnificent humblepony you've ever seen?”

Some things never change, thought Twilight, rolling her eyes.

Trixie didn't notice, and created a dense smoke screen. When the smoke cleared, she was clearly running away, but she heard a shout from behind her.

“Trixie, wait up!”

Distracted, Trixie tripped on a small stone in the street and fell flat on her face. When she finally recovered and looked up, she saw Twilight standing over her, reaching out with a hoof.

“Are you okay?”

Trixie couldn't help blushing in embarrassment. “Yeah, Trixie is okay...” She stood up on her own and grumbled, “but that would not have happened if you hadn't shouted during The Great and Powerful Trixie's exit!”

“Sorry, Trixie. I just wanted to ask you something.”

Fine,” Trixie snarled. “But make it quick. Trixie would prefer to leave this town before anypony else notices that Trixie is still here.”

“I wanted to ask what you're going to do now." Twilight seemed concerned. "At our first duel, you told us how hard things got for you after the Ursa incident.”

Trixie wasn't used to Twilight being pleasant, either. “...To be honest," she admitted, "Trixie doesn't really know. Trixie... never thought that she would lose to you in the first place.”

Twilight smirked. “I thought so... But you don't have to go. You could stay here in Ponyville until you figure out what to do.”

Trixie just stood there for a moment, eyes wide with shock.

“ARE YOU CRAZY?" she said at last, "How could Trixie stay here after all that's happened? First the Ursa and now the Amulet... How could she stay here when its only a matter of time before somepony seeks revenge on The Great and Powerful Trixie for all she's done? If Trixie is lucky, she'll merely be chased out of town before morning!”

“Maybe in any other town,” Twilight replied with a confident smile, “but this is Ponyville: possibly the nicest and friendliest town in Equestria. We've also seen Nightmare Moon, Discord, bunny stampedes, the Crusaders and a lot more. I've even caused my fair share of the chaos in this town and nopony has held it against me." She took a step closer and laid a hoof on Trixie's shoulder. "Whatever you think you did wrong while you were wearing that Amulet, the ponies here will have forgotten all about it in a few days.

“And as for the Ursa Minor, nopony ever blamed you for that at all! It wasn't you that brought it to town, and you even tried to fight it off! It was never my intention to embarrass you; I just did what I had to do to save my friends." Twilight bowed her head in regret. "If I'd known you'd be back for revenge, I would have told you all of this back then.”

It all made Trixie pause, but she shook her head. “But this time, with the Amulet...! Trixie really did come here to make you suffer for what you did to her!" She pushed Twilight's hoof away, looking down. "That's so much more serious than anything before.”

Twilight placed her hoof back on the ground. “That might be true, but everypony knows how the Amulet corrupted you now. I can't speak for all of them, but I'm sure that most of them would forgive you. Maybe some will still hold a grudge, but if you let me, I'll stand by your side if they come knocking—and I'm sure my friends will, too. Everypony deserves a second chance, and with friends by your side you can accomplish anything!”

Twilight stood in front of Trixie with a hopeful grin on her face. "What do you say?"

Trixie just sat and looked at the ground for a few moments. She eventually got on her hooves again and turned her back to Twilight.

“Trixie appreciates... I appreciate your offer, Twilight... but the road is my home, and it calls to me." She took a breath and stood up straight. "No matter what, the show must go on! I did it once and I can do it again... myself. I didn't need friends before and I still don't."

Twilight tried to speak, but Trixie wasn't done.

"And you can't honestly expect me to believe I'd be welcome here after all that's happened." She turned back to Twilight, but her face was calm. "So my answer is no. Trixie will find her own way back to the top, and in no time at all, Equestria will once again bask in the brilliance of The Great and Powerful Trixie!

With those words, Trixie reared up, waving her forelegs in the air. She produced one last smoke screen and made her exit once more.

Twilight just stood there for a moment, but gave one last shout after her: “Trixie! If you ever need help—if you ever change your mind, you know where to find me!

Trixie just kept running.