• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,797 Views, 145 Comments

Start Of A New Life - Madox



Trixie suffers of nightmares since she wore the Alicorn Amulet and returns to Ponyville to ask Twilight for help.

  • ...
1
 145
 2,797

Chapter 10 - Shadows of the Past [D]

Twilight trotted through town towards Trixie's cottage. It's been several days since Trixie started teaching Sweetie Belle and she was curious how her first days as a magic teacher went, so she decided to face the cold wind that was the first sign for the scheduled first snow of the year that was supposed to fall this night.

When Twilight came within sight of the cottage she was just able to see Trixie walking outside and closing the door before she turned in the direction of the edge of the white tail wood.

"Trixie!" Twilight called out, but the magician didn't hear her shouting over the distance and the wind and entered the forest.

'I wonder where she is going at this hour', Twilight thought. It was getting darker with every passing minute and it won't be long until the moon would be visible. At first Twilight thought about leaving, but her curiosity was stronger, so she followed Trixie inside the woods.

Keeping track of Trixie was not easy, even if she sticks out between the trees and bushes thanks to her bright coloration, but after just a few minutes Twilight lost her in the woods. She wandered around a bit longer, hoping to find Trixie by sheer luck, and just as she was about to admit defeat, she came along a clearing in the trees.

The clearing was not very big, but it contained a small lake in the middle. Around the lake stood two small trees, and between the trees was a big rock at the shore of the lake. And on top of that rock sat Trixie, staring up at the beginning night sky.

Twilight walked towards the rock, and as soon as she was sure Trixie could hear her she called out.

"Trixie?"

The magician turned her head around in surprise. When she recognized the other pony, she relaxed visibly, but kept a surprised look on her face.

"Twilight? What are you doing here? How did you find this place?"

Twilight walked the rest of the distance until she stood at the base of the rock, looking up towards Trixie. "I'm sorry if I intrude, I came to visit you just as you left your cottage. I called out to you, but you didn't hear me, so I followed you inside the forest." Twilight turned her head to look around the clearing. "This place is beautiful."

Trixie grinned. "I know. I found it on my first trip to Ponyville before the ursa and soon after I moved in the cottage I recognized the surroundings and found it again. Now sometimes I come here when I want to think or enjoy the scenery of the night sky."

"I know what you mean, I love to stargaze as well, but i mostly stay on my balcony to do so."

Trixie stared at Twilight for a few moments, before she started grinning. "Would you like to join me? I think stargazing is more fun with company, and it's been a long time since I had company."

"I would love to," Twilight said before she used some smaller rocks on the side to climb up on the biggest one and sat down besides Trixie, both mares staring up into the night sky.

“I was always more fond of the night than the day,” Trixie said. “I think the stars and the moon are much lovelier than the sun.”

Twilight chuckled. “Don't tell Princess Celestia, but I agree with you. You should mention that to Princess Luna one day, she always appreciates it if somepony praises her night.”

“I will try to remember the next time I meet her. But really, the sky here in Ponyville is really amazing, one of the best I ever saw, and I have been all around Equestria.”

“Impressive,” Twilight said. “Have you been everywhere in Equestria? Or is there a place you have not visited yet?”

“There is one place, one that has not been around until recently, the Crystal Empire. I heard that it's truly a magnificent place. I read some tales about it in books when I was younger, and it fascinated me, but I never thought it was real. I always dreamed about visiting that magical place. When I learned that it is real I was overwhelmed with joy, and I hope that I can visit it one day. It would be a dream coming true."

Twilight nodded. “I can confirm what you heard, it is really beautiful in the empire.”

“Why am I not surprised that you have been there already?” Trixie asked with a roll of her eyes, which Twilight answered with a smile.

A few minutes of silence passed before Twilight spoke up again. "So, how did your first lessons with Sweetie Belle go the past few days?"

"Pretty well, she is a fast learner, I don't think it will be long before she figures out how to do it. She is a smart little filly.”

"That's true, even if she doesn't show it very often," Twilight said with a chuckle. Both mares returned to watching the stars and the moon again in silence before Twilight took the word again. “Trixie, may I ask you a question?”

“Well, you already did, but I feel generous today, so I allow you another one,” Trixie answered with a smirk.

“Why do you hate being friends with anypony? I wondered about that since our return from Canterlot.” Receiving no answer from the mare Twilight quickly continued. "I know that it might be too much to ask and I understand if you don't want to answer."

Trixie was silent for a few minutes and Twilight was sure that she would not receive an answer. Just as she wanted to stand up to walk back to town and leave Trixie alone she answered.

"I don't hate it."

Twilight tilted her head to the side in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I don't hate being friends with anypony." Trixie was quiet for a moment with her eyes closed before she talked again. "I'm afraid."

"You are afraid of making friends?"

"It's not the 'making friends' part I'm afraid of. It's about being left behind in the end."

"But why do you think you will be left behind?" Twilight asked, still trying to understand the mare.

Trixie suddenly turned to look at Twilight, tears streaking down her cheeks. "Because it happened every single time in my life! Every time I made friends they abandoned me, and it hurts so much! After I lost everything else, my friends were the last thing I could hold on, and they shove me aside! And even after they left me, every time I made new friends the same happened sooner or later! I have been alone all this time, for the past twelve years!"

Twilight stared at the sobbing mare in disbelieve. Just to think about that she has been on her own for more than half her life made Twilight sick. Even she, as a former reclusive before she came to Ponyville, has not been all alone. At least it explains her attitude. She drove anypony who might become her friend away out of fear that she will be once again be abandoned, that her feelings once again will be hurt.

She could not imagine how that might have been for Trixie, nor could she think of anything to say to help her. In the end she decided on the only thing she could think of that might help Trixie right now.

Twilight moved closer to Trixie and pulled her into a hug. She held the sobbing mare close and used her hoof to stroke over her back to calm her down. After a few minutes Trixie's sobs slowly came to a stop.

"Feeling better?" Twilight asked while she still hugged Trixie who nodded.

"You know," Twilight began, "not long ago I thought I lost my friends, that they abandoned me during the wedding of my brother." Trixie perked up when she heard that, but stayed in her place. "In the end everything got settled and they apologized, but it hurt so much. I may not know the pain of so many times like you do, but I can sympathize with you to some degree."

Twilight pulled herself free of the embrace and looked into Trixie's tear filled eyes. "I cannot talk for Lyra or Rainbow or any of the others, but I promise you to stay by your side as your friend, if you want me to."

Trixie stared at Twilight, her mouth opening and closing like a fish. So many things swirled around in her head that she could not decide on what to say.

Twilight smiled. "Take your time and think about it, I won't go back on my word." Trixie finally closed her mouth and with a hesitant smile she nodded.

Twilight's smile fell a moment later. "Trixie, there is something else you mentioned earlier that won't leave my mind, but I'm afraid of how you might react."

"I think I know what you mean," Trixie said while she wiped the last tears from her eyes with her hoof. "It's about the 'I lost everything twelve years ago', am I right?" Twilight nodded hesitantly. "The moment it slipped me I knew you would not forget about it." Trixie was silent for a minute. "Twilight, you did a lot for me so I will tell you, but you need to promise me that you will never talk about it with anypony without my knowledge."

"I would never betray your trust, Trixie, I promise. But are you sure about this? I don't want to open some old wounds."

Trixie shook her head. "Some of these wounds never healed, they are still painful. And I doubt that they will ever heal at all."

Trixie took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "I'm an orphan, Twilight. I never met my father. He died even before I was born, and I lost my mother twelve years ago soon after I got my cutie mark."

"Oh, Trixie...," Twilight gasped in shock. She has presumed that Trixie has lost her family after she said that she has been alone on the street, but she never thought that Trixie lost them this early in her life. "I don't know what to say..."

"It's okay, its been a long time since my mom died."

"Would you like to tell me about them?"

"As I said I never met my dad, he died in an accident while my mom was pregnant. Everything I know about him is was she told me.

"His name was Daren Lulamoon, I think you can guess where my not usual name comes from," Trixie said with a chuckle.

Twilight has a small smile on her lips as well, but she was still concerned about Trixie. "True, I wondered about that but i never dared to ask you about it."

"Mom told me it was kind of family tradition of my dads family. I like my name, it makes me kind of special.

"Back to my dad, my mom told me he was an actor. He was an amazing specialist in illusion magic and could disguise himself as nearly any other pony, and he helped with special effects on stage if needed."

"That's pretty impressive," Twilight said in awe. "Illusion magic is one of the hardest kinds of magic to learn. And since you are an illusionist as well I guess you inherited his talent."

Trixie nodded in agreement. "It wasn't easy to learn this kind of magic on my own without any help, but I did it and got my cutie mark for it."

"Why did you need to learn it alone? Couldn't your mother help you?"

"No, she couldn't. She was unable to help me with anything magic related. She wasn't a unicorn."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I simply assumed that both your parents where unicorns."

"No need to apologize. They lived in Canterlot after all, there are mostly unicorn couples around after all. No, my mum was a pegasus. And not any pegasus, she was the most beautiful mare I ever saw."

Trixie closed her eyes again and started smiling. "She was beautiful, kind, and understanding. She did everything she could to raise me, and I never saw her not smiling. But the most special part about her, her special talent, was her singing voice. If I would be asked to describe her singing, I don't know if I truly could. She always dreamed of becoming a popular singer, but she never reached her goal."

"Why not?" Twilight asked before thinking. It was obvious that Trixie's mother never became popular when she died. "I'm sorry, Trixie. I didn't think ahead."

Trixie simply shook her head. "It's fine, your question wasn't so bad after all. She personally stopped her dream for something else."

"And what was that?"

"Me. Or better, to become a wife and mother. She met my dad and they both fell for each other immediately. It was love on first sight, and it didn't take long before they married. After a while my mom got pregnant, and soon after that, my dad died.

"This truly broke my mom, but she kept going on. And when I was born, she knew that she needed to be strong for me as well.

"After this everything went by without trouble. I grew up, went to school. I never truly made friends during that time. I met some fillies and colts, and we worked together for school sometimes, but besides that I was mostly on my own.

"Besides the fact that my mum was a pegasus, she early noticed my talent in magic, and started preparing everything she could to make sure I would receive a proper education.

"She had to work a lot, but she made enough money that she could get an application for me for Celestia's School for gifted Unicorns. I passed the entrance test, and I didn't even had my cutie mark at that time"

"Wait a moment, you were a student at Celestia's school?" Twilight asked, her eyes wide open in surprise. "Why did I never met you?"

Trixie shrugged. "Probably just different classes. But I knew who you were, every student did and I saw you once from afar. You were the inspiration of many students at that time, and probably still now.

"When I first came to Ponyville I recognized you when I saw you in the crowd. I wanted to see where I stood in comparison to the student of the princess. We both know how that ended."

"Yes," Twilight said, her head hanging low, "with you running away without a home."

"True," Trixie sighed. "But what happened, happened. You didn't know any better back then, and I don't blame you any longer for it.

“But we are getting off track. During my time at school I made my first real friends, or so I thought. Everything was god and I was happy. It was not the best live you could imagine, but it was enough for me.

At the start of my second year there was a talent show. I competed and tried for the first time some illusions I learned in private.” Trixie got a smile and a distant look on her face while she looked into the night sky. “My performance was a huge success. The crowd cheered for me, and at that moment I just knew that this was something I would want to do later in my live. While I enjoyed the cheering crowd I didn't even realized at first that I got my cutie mark.

“In the end I won first place and my mother celebrated with me for both, getting my cutie mark and winning. I enjoyed every moment of that evening, it was the best day of my life.”

Trixie's expression made a sudden turn, her smile turning into a frown and pain visible in her eyes. “Sadly just a few days later happened the worst day of my life as well.

“Four days later I was home alone for some time. It was not the first time my mother had to leave me alone, so I didn't think too much about it. She told me she would be back soon, and that I should wait with my homework for that day so that she could help me. In the end, I started without her to fight the boredom.”

Trixie stopped for a moment and went silent, and just as Twilight wanted to ask what is wrong she spoke again.

“I exhausted myself while practicing my magic and fainted. I don't know how long I was unconscious, but when I woke up, the whole house was ablaze and I was trapped inside.”

Trixie could hear Twilight gasp besides her, but she ignored her and continued. “I was confused and terrified. I didn't know what was going on, and I was too afraid to move.


Twelve years ago


To say it was hot would be the understatement of the year. Trixie felt like she was being cooked alive, wherever she looked she could see flames all around her. She has tried to move to the door to escape, but the heat was too intense and the flames grew bigger with every moment. She tried to cry out for help, hoping that anypony would hear her, but the smoke was making it hard to breath.

Without knowing what else she could do Trixie curled herself into a small ball and did her best to keep away from the flames. She lay there for some time, silently crying to herself, until she heard a commotion from the front door. Suddenly the door flew open and something came flying through the door and the flames.

“Trixie!” Harmony Sky yelled. “Trixie, where are you?”

“Mommy!”

Harmony turned to her daughter and pulled her into a hug. “Trixie! Thank Celestia, you are safe. Are you hurt?”

Trixie shook her head after a small cough. “No, but I'm scared.”

“Don't worry, sweetie, everything will be fine.” She released Trixie from her embrace and lowered her wing and back. “Climb on my back, we need to get out of here.”

Trixie nodded and climbed on her mother's back. Harmony turned around and started trotting, but before she could reach the front door a part of the ceiling came crushing down. Harmony jumped backwards in time to avoid the debris.

“That was close,” Harmony said. “Are you okay, Trixie?”

“Mhm. What are we doing now?”

Harmony looked around the room. The flames had engulfed most of the room, including the windows, and the door was blocked by the fallen debris. That only leaves one way out.

“Hold on, Trixie, and don't let go. We need to go upstairs and escape through the windows there.”

Trixie answered by wrapping her tiny hooves around her mother's neck. Harmony turned around and ran up the stair, avoiding flames and fallen debris as good as possible. Upon reaching the first floor she saw much to her chagrin that the second floor looked even worse than the first. She thought about going back to try one of the ground windows again, but a rumbling from behind her and a look over her shoulder showed that the stairs were blocked now by falling debris as well.

She looked around and pondered about her options. Going back down was out of the question, and trying to break through the flames and debris through one of the windows might get both of them outside, but not without immense injury to Trixie.

All of a sudden she got an idea that might work. She sprinted along the small hallway to the stairs leading up to the attic and climbed up. The attic looked not much better than the rest of the house, but the one single window was still free of any obstacles. Harmony rushed over and looked out of the window which was way to small for her to pass through but not for her daughter.

Outsides of the house a big crowd had gathered to watch while the firefighters did their best to extinguish the flames. She opened the shutters and screamed.

“Help! Over here!”

Harmony could see that one of the firefighters heard her and said something to a pegasus beside him, motioning up to her. The pegasus took flight and came rushing over to her.

“Are you hurt?” he yelled when he was close by. “Don't worry, we will get you out there.”

“No time!” Harmony pulled Trixie from her back and held her close to her chest. “Please take my daughter to safety.”

Trixie's eyes grew and she tightened her grip on her mother. “No! I will not leave you!”

“Sweetie, I will be with you again soon. I will take another way out which will be too dangerous for you.”

Trixie shook her head vigorously. “If it's too dangerous for me, then it's too dangerous for you, too.”

Harmony sighed and pulled her daughter away with force. She held her out of the small window to the pegasus. “Please, take her away, I will follow through one of the bigger windows downstairs.”

The pegasus nodded and took Trixie who fidgeted around in the grasp, trying to get back to her mother.

“Don't worry, Trixie,” Harmony said. I promise that I will be back soon.”

The pegasus flapped his wings and flew away, the little shouting filly in his grasps. Harmony watched them for a moment, before she turned around and made her way back downstairs. Upon reaching the second floor she ran straight to the nearest window, but before she reached it she was hit by more falling debris from the ceiling.

After the dust has settled Harmony was buried. Coughing and groaning in pain she tried to free herself without success. Breathing harder with any moment that passed, Harmony started crying while the surrounding flames drew closer.

'Trixie, I'm sorry,' she thought. 'I'm afraid I can't keep my promise...'

~*~

“Let me go! I want to go back to my mommy!”

"Please calm down,” the pegasus said while he did his best to hold the flailing filly. “We will do everything we can to safe your mother, but if you go back you will make it harder for us and endanger yourself and your mother.”

But Trixie didn't listen to him. She kept flailing around and even punched him in the face while doing so, forcing him to descend to avoid crashing down. The moment he landed Trixie managed to break free from his grasp. She turned and ran back to the burning building, still crying for her mother, but before she got too close to the flames she was encased in a magic field and flew a few inches above the ground.

“That was a close one, little filly,” she heard a voice from behind. She turned to see a unicorn guard approaching, his horn ablaze with the same magic as the field around her.

“Let me go let me go let me go!” Trixie screamed, tears running down her cheeks.

“I told you to calm down,” the pegasus from before told her as he approached. “We cannot help your mother if we have to look after you all the time.” He sighed before he turned his attention to the guard who held Trixie. “Can you keep an eye on her? We need to focus on the windows on the first floor to help her mother.”

The guard nodded and watched as the pegasus flew away. Trixie had stopped fighting and watched as her home burnt down, her mother still trapped inside.

“Don't worry, little one,” he said, “I'm sure your mother will be fine.”

Before Trixie could say anything she pricked up her ears. There was something she could her over the shouting ponies and the flames, something familiar.

“What is that?” the unicorn said after he noticed the same sound Trixie heard. “Is that... singing?”

Trixie listened a moment longer. He was right, somepony was singing, and Trixie knew who it was. “Mommy...” She was sure, that was her mother. She was singing one of her own songs she had always sung to Trixie.

“That's your mother? But... why is she singing in the middle of a burning house?”

Trixie didn't say anything, she just kept listening to her mother. She also noticed several other ponies nearby coming to help who heard the song.

While she listened she became calmer, being sure her mother would come out every moment back to her, but with every moment the flames grew bigger and her mothers voice slowly faded away, until it grew entirely silent.

Trixie was silent and waited for her mother to emerge out of the building, but with every second the fear grew stronger.

“M-mommy?” No answer. The tears started again rolling down Trixie's cheeks. “P-please, come out. Y-you promised.”

Silence.

Trixie broke down, her little legs not able to hold her any longer. “M-mommy.” Trixie raised her head once again.

“MOMMY!”


Present Day


Trixie paused in her story when Twilight moved over and hugged her, tears streaking down her cheeks.

“Trixie, I'm so sorry. If I had only anticipated what happened I would have never asked you about it.”

Trixie returned the hug. “It's okay, you couldn't know.” Both mares sat there on the rock for a few minutes, before Trixie released the hug. “It's not the end of my story yet.”

“There's even more?” Twilight gasped. It was hard for her to believe what Trixie had to endure in her foalhood.

Trixie nodded. “The next day it was confirmed that my mother has died after being trapped inside our house. Soon after I was brought to the orphanage in Canterlot, since I had no other living relatives or somepony to take me in.

“The first few weeks I stayed in my room, curled up on my bed. I didn't want to believe that my mom was gone and that I was all alone. I waited every day that she would stride in the room and take me back home, as if it was a nightmare, but she never came. Even the caretaker of the orphanage left me on my own.

“After some time I returned to school. They had decided to allow me to visit the school after everything that happened and because of the fact that I was a very good student. But thanks to my long absence and my unwillingness my grades fell.

“All this time after the fire none of my friends came to visit me, and they didn't talk to me on the first day I came back. Back then I didn't think too much about it, I just wanted to be alone a bit longer. But when I finally approached them, they turned on me. They acted as if we have never been friends and even said some very hurtful things. I was shocked and couldn't understand what was happening to me. First I lost my mother, my home, and everything I ever owned, and then even my friends left me. Later I learned that they only pretended to be my friends to improve their own grades with my help. With my long absence and my falling grades they decided I wasn't worth their time any longer.”

Trixie looked at Twilight, expecting her to say something. But the mare beside her didn't say anything besides biting her lower lip, waiting for Trixie to continue.

“The same evening, while I was lying on my bed in the orphanage, I realized that I couldn't stay in Canterlot. There was too much pain wherever I went. Just being in the orphanage or seeing the caretaker hurt too much, and they didn't even really cared about me. So I ran away in the middle of the night, without anything on me, and left Canterlot behind me.”

“So that's why you didn't want to go to Canterlot, now it makes sense,” Twilight said. “But how did you manage to survive all on your own? I mean, you were just a little filly.”

“It wasn't easy, but I managed. I did small shows on the streets for a few bits or took little jobs, like running errands or delivering newspapers. When I had no bits I ate plain grass or whatever I could find.” Trixie bit her lip and avoided Twilight's gaze. “During one winter I was broke again and could not find anything to eat. I was so desperate that I stole something from a vendor at a market in Baltimore. I felt terrible afterwards, but it was either that or dying out of starvation.”

Trixie looked back into Twilight's eyes who seems to be waiting for something. “And yes, I payed him back later in spring when I got some spare bits with a letter of explanation for it.” Twilight smiled in satisfaction.

Trixie smiled back for a moment before she frowned again. “So, that's my story so far. I managed to survive all this time, saved my bits slowly over the years before I was able to buy my caravan. And as I mentioned, I met some ponies over these years that I thought were my friends, but whenever I wasn't of use for them any longer they left me.”

Trixie looked back up to the stars and the moon above her. “Well, that's it, that's my story of my past.”

Twilight was silent for some time, but at last Trixie could hear her move slightly before she felt a hoof on her shoulder. “Trixie, there is nothing I could say to express how I feel about what you have experienced. But these ponies you met, they only took advantage of you. A true friend would never abandon you in your time of need. A true friend would help you no matter what.”

Trixie simply scoffed. “And how am I supposed to know if the one in front of me is a true friend? I thought that I found them all this time before.”

“I'm afraid there is no way to know that in advance. Only time can answer you that question, sometimes more or less. And sometimes we don't even realize it without the help of someone else.”

Trixie turned her head to look at Twilight, her head tilted to the side in confusion. “What do you mean?”

Twilight grinned. “What do you think about Lyra?”

“What does she have to do with it?” Trixie asked, one eyebrow raised. When she didn't receive an answer beside a grin she thought for a moment. “Well, she can be quite annoying from time to time, and sometimes I think she is somehow related to Pinkie Pie with her over-excitement and energy. But she was the only one who talked to me and gave me a chance. She even stood up to her marefriend for me. And I kind of like it to have her around.”

“She really cares about you, you know?” Seeing that she got her attention Twilight continued. “She realized early that something is wrong with you, and that has something to do with the amulet around your neck. She asked the rest of us about it since she thought you would not talk about it. Of course, we didn't tell her anything, but she won't give up. She even borrowed some books from the library in hope to find the amulet somewhere. She want's to help you, no matter what it takes.

“What I want to say is that you are afraid of making friends, but you already made friends. I see myself as your friend like I said before, and I can say the same for Lyra and some of the others. I'm not so sure about Rainbow, but I think you are on a good way to be on her good site.

“So, as far as I can say the only thing preventing you from having real friends is yourself. You need to find it in you to trust again. After everything that happened to you I can understand that it's not easy for you, but I will wait till you are ready.” Twilight ended with a smile to Trixie who was staring at Twilight, her mouth agape. She turned her heard to stare at the ground in front of her, her eyes moving from side to side.

Twilight had started watching the sky again which was clouded now, a few pegasi moving around pushing the clouds in place for the planned snowfall this night. Just as the first snowflakes started falling around Twilight and Trixie, the magician spoke again.

“Twilight?”

Twilight looked over to see Trixie staring at her. “Yes, Trixie?”

Trixie took a deep breath. “Would you... be my friend?”

Twilight smiled again and reached over to pull Trixie into a sideway hug. “It would be an honor.”

“Thank you,” Trixie said. “For everything.”

Twilight smiled at Trixie, and they both sat a while longer on the rock, watching the snow fall.

Author's Note:

There it is, Trixie's past for all of you. This has been one of the chapters I had been looking forward to write for a long time, and it was harder then expected. :fluttercry:

Also, a bit bonding between Twilight and Trixie :twilightsmile:

Regarding the names of Trixie's parents, I'm really bad with naming, so I decided to use a pony name generator until one came out for her mom I liked. Her dad was different. At first I thought about using his mostly used fandom name: Artemis.
In the end I decided against it. I just wanted something different. I came upon THIS site and looked up different names until I found Daren which (according to this site) means 'One who was born at night' and thought it fitted really well with Lulamoon :twilightsmile:

As always I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and if you find any mistakes feel free to point them out :scootangel: