• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,803 Views, 145 Comments

Start Of A New Life - Madox



Trixie suffers of nightmares since she wore the Alicorn Amulet and returns to Ponyville to ask Twilight for help.

  • ...
1
 145
 2,803

Chapter 9 - Teaching for Beginners

Chapter 9 – Trixie's Student


Four weeks had passed since Trixie's arrival in Ponyville and, to her own surprise, she slowly began to like it. It seems that most of the citizens decided to simply ignore her presence most of the time. Sure, sometimes she still heard them talk about her behind her back, but she was already used to worse, so she did the same as the rest of town with her and ignored it.

Another problem Trixie had to face was earning a few bits for food and other things. Applejack had provided a bunch of slightly bruised apples she could not sell, but Trixie could not live on like this forever.

That proved to be a bit of a challenge for the show mare with most of the town either ignoring or hating her. Applejack and Rarity helped her, but neither of them were able to provide a permanent job at the moment. Applebuck season ended some time ago, and besides minor chores there was not much to do at Sweet Apple Acres, and Rarity only got very few dress assignments at the moment. Lyra offered to talk with Bon Bon about a job at her shop, but Trixie declined that. Remembering what happened before Trixie was sure it would be a bad idea to be too long in the same room with the candy maker.

Now Trixie was sitting outside of the barn at Sweet Apple Acres after work with Applejack and waited for the farmer while she thought about how she could earn more bits regularly.

"Are ya ready to go, Trixie?" Applejack asked from behind her. Trixie turned to see Applejack leaving the barn, pulling her cart full with apples.

"Of course, I'm just waiting for you."

Applejack grinned and both mares walked along the path into town. Out of the corner of her eye Trixie saw Big Macintosh who watched them both. She hesitantly raised her hoof and waved goodbye. Without any reply he turned and walked away. Trixie lowered her head and ears and sighed.

"Hey, what's wrong, Trixie? Come on, ya can talk with me."

"Your brother, he still hates me," Trixie said, still looking down. She heard the mare beside her chuckle and raised her head to look at the farmer.

"Mac, hatin' ya? Na, believe me, ya would now if he hates ya. Ah think he is just still concerned. He believes me and knows that ya are not the same mare who enslaved the town, but he is still mah big brother lookin' out for me." Applejack raised her head and looked into Trixie's eyes. "Just give him time and he will come around."

Trixie allowed herself a little smile. "Thanks, Applejack. I hope you are right."

Both mares continued their trip into town before they reached a crossroad. "So, sugar cube, what are ya doin' with the rest of your day? Goin' to the twins again?"

To many ponies surprise Trixie became a babysitter for the Cake twins if Pinkie Pie was otherwise occupied. She was surprisingly spending time with Pinkie while she was watching the babies, but the baker had to leave for a short time and asked Trixie to watch over them.

On her way back Pinkie ran into Mr. and Mrs. Cake, who became terrified when they heard that Trixie was alone with their babies. To their surprise they found the three of them in the nursery, the babies unharmed. Trixie was playing with Pound Cake who tried to catch an illusion of a butterfly, while Pumpkin Cake was nestled against Trixies side, sleeping quietly.

After that cute display they talked with each other and, after Pinkie assured them that Trixie truly means no harm, they decided to give her a chance as a babysitter whenever was Pinkie not able to do so. Seeing the twins clinging to Trixie the whole time during the talk helped in that regard.

"No, not today. I will just go home and rest for now," Trixie said. " As much as I like these two, they can be quite a hoofful sometimes."

Applejack chuckled. "Ah know what ya mean. Well, Ah will be on mah way, these apples won't sell themselves. See ya later, Trixie."

Applejack walked down her path to the market place and left Trixie on her own. She watched the farmer go before she went her own way.

During her walk Trixie thought back about everything that changed over these past weeks. She had found a place to stay, small part-time jobs for a few bits and she felt pretty good hanging around with Lyra, Twilight and the others. Of course, that last part she would never admit openly in front of these ponies. At least not yet.

Trixies thoughts turned to the amulet around her neck, the one she got from the princesses and what it means to her. Sometimes she thought about where she would be right now if she has not been cursed by the Alicorn Amulet. Would she still be homeless? Would she have managed to restart her career? Nopony knows, and nopony knows how her future might be.

Sadly they had found no clue how to break the curse till now. The princesses had sent reports to Twilight about every encounter they had with the amulet, including everything that happened and what they learned over time to help with finding a solution. After reading these reports Twilight refused to let Trixie read them, for her own good. She mentioned she would have nightmares for some time as well just from the reports.

To make it worse they got two messages from the princesses. The first was about the place Trixie said she bought the amulet from in the first place. They were not able to find any clue, not even the shop. The building that was supposed to hold the shop has been abandoned, and from the claims of the surrounding neighbors it's been like this for more than a decade. This reinforced the suspicion that Trixie did not just found it by accident but was instead used by somepony for unknown reasons.

The second message they got was even worse. Even protected by the most powerful magic both princesses could afford, the Alicorn Amulet has once again vanished without any trace from the castle grounds.

'For once,' Trixie thought, 'I could really need some good news.'

Trixie stopped in her tracks and looked around. She was just on the outskirts of Ponyville, but she didn't recognize her surroundings. It seems that while she was lost in thought she had taken a wrong turn somewhere, so she turned around and walked back before she stopped again and listened. Somepony was crying, and she could hear other voices as well.

Trixie located the voices and slowly stepped closer, hiding behind some bushes just in case.

"...so useless, but what do you expect from a stupid blank flank."

Not liking what she just heard Trixie peeked through the branches. On the other side she could see two fillies, one of a light pink coat color and the other one grey, with their backs to her. Behind these two she could see the crusaders. Apple Bloom was holding Sweetie Belle who was crying and Scootaloo stood between her friends and the other fillies, her tiny wings flared and an angry scowl on her face.

"What's your problem, Diamond Tiara? Just leave us alone!" Scootaloo yelled.

Trixie frowned. 'So that's Diamond Tiara, that means the grey filly must be Silver Spoon.'

After their little break-in some weeks ago Trixie had met the crusaders again, the first time for Sweetie's "breakfast" promise. Luckily she was wearing her hat at the time and was able to use an illusion to make it look like she ate whatever Sweetie created. She still didn't figure out how it was possible to liquefy a haysandwich and turn milk into something resembling a stone.

At this and other meetings the crusaders did tell her more about themselves, and they mentioned the two fillies who bully them all the time.

Trixie smirked. Maybe it's time to teach them a little lesson, but she needs to be careful regarding the fact that the pink one is the daughter of her landlord.

Slowly Trixie emerged from the bushes and was spotted instantly by the crusaders. She motioned them to keep quiet and made her way to the bullies. Her horn started glowing and she cast an illusion over herself.

The crusaders watched in awe at what Trixie was doing.

Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara looked at the crusaders in confusion. "What is wrong with them?" Silver Spoon asked. Before Diamond was able to say anything she felt a tap on her back and turned around, Silver Spoon following her friends motion. They both froze on the spot in fear when they came face to face with a manticore.

None of the five fillies made any sound while the manticore lowered his head and sniffed, first on Silver Spoon than on Diamond Tiara, before it roared in the face of the two fillies. This finally broke them free of their shock and they ran away while screaming.

Looking after the two fillies running away the manticore disappeared and Trixie stood again in its place, a smile on her face.

"Well, I guess they won't stop running very soon." She turned to the crusaders, and her smile disappeared. The crusaders where staring at her, eyes and jaws wide open. Her good mood vanished. She only wanted to help, but it seemed she overdid it once again. She lowered her head and prepared herself to walk away in shame.

"That. Was. Awesome!" Scootaloo yelled suddenly.

Trixie looked up again to see the crusaders running up to her.

"How did you do that? That was amazing!"

"Never seen anythin' like it."

"Thanks for helping us."

Trixie smiled again, glad that she did not scare them away as well. "You're welcome. These two deserved a lesson. And it was nothing, illusions are my special talent after all." Trixie sat down on her haunches. "But tell me, did these two hurt you?"

"No, they did not," Scootaloo said with a frown, "but they made fun of Sweetie Belle till she started crying."

"What did they say?"

Sweetie Belle looked at the ground. "They called me a bad excuse of an unicorn and other mean things for not being able to use magic." She looked up at Trixie, tears in her eyes. "Why can't I do anything? All I can manage to do are some sparks, and even that only by accident."

Trixie moved closer to the filly and pulled her in an embrace. "Don't worry, Sweetie, I'm sure it won't be long before you can use magic without problems." She ended the hug and pulled away. "And I might not be a doctor, but as far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with you. You just need to keep practice."

"But I don't even know what I'm supposed to do, and practicing on my own is boring."

Trixie furrowed her brow. "What do you mean with 'on your own'? What about your parents and Rarity?"

"My parents are always away, leaving me with Rarity behind, and Rarity has to work most of the time and if not she is with her friends. It's become better since the Sister Hooves Social, but every time I ask her she tells me we would practice later. I once even asked Twilight, but she is busy with her own studies."

Trixie couldn't believe what she just heard. This little filly got a family who would not even help her with something essential like teaching magic. She will definitely have a stern talk with Rarity about this later.

"Don't worry, Sweetie. I'm sure you will cast spells very soon. Would you believe that I was a late bloomer regarding magic? I learned the basics by myself and it took much time, but look where I'm now."

"Really? You are so good with it," Sweetie Belle said. Suddenly her entire mood brightened and she wore a big grin on her face. "Couldn't you teach me magic?"

The silence that followed would have made Pinkie immediately plan an emergency party just to fight it, if it had not been broken after a minute by Trixie.

"What?" Trixie took a step back, her eyes wide. “Y-you want me... to teach you magic?” Sweetie Belle nodded. “But... why me? I'm not a teacher, I don't think I could teach anything to anypony!”

“Rarity isn't either, but she never got time and Twilight is the same. Please, Trixie, you are the only other pony I could think of.” Sweetie Belle started pouting, her eyes growing bigger while she looked into Trixie's eyes.

'Oh, please not the puppy eyes,' Trixie thought and tried to look away. 'I won't let that work on me.'

“Ah think that's a great idea.”

“Yeah, please, Trixie, this means so much to Sweetie.”

Trixie jumped a bit while the other two crusaders walked over to stand on either side of Trixie. She had forgotten that they are even there. Now they joined forces with Sweetie and Trixie had to endure the combined power of three puppy eye fillies. Needless to say that even someone as great and powerful as Trixie was not able to endure that. It took them only a few moments before Trixie surrendered.

“Alright, alright,” she sighed. “You win. I will give it a try, but I won't promise any results. And I will only do it if Rarity is okay with it.”

“YAY.”

Trixie looked around to see the crusaders jumping in a circle all around her, cheering without any care.

'What have I gotten myself into,' Trixie thought. 'And only because I took a wrong turn.'

~*~

The crusaders had dragged Trixie to the boutique to ask Rarity for her permission. It did not take long to convince her. (Sweetie's puppy eyes were more than enough. Amateur.)

After the crusaders left Trixie had a stern talk with the fashionista regarding her neglect of Sweetie's magic training. She made a note to have the same talk with their parents the next time she meets them.

Trixie left the boutique in a slightly better mood. Now she needs to prepare herself for the upcoming lesson she has promised the filly. The only problem was that she knew nothing about teaching in the first place.

Usually the most logical solution would be to ask Cheerilee for some advice, but she was out-of-town today. That left Trixie with her second choice to gather information.

Trixie arrived at her destination and knocked at the door which opened after a few moments to reveal a certain young dragon who was not happy to see her.

"Hi, Spike, could you...," Trixie began but before she could finish Spike turned around and walked up the stairs after calling for Twilight.

Trixie sighed and walked inside the library.

"Still no luck with him?" Trixie watched as Twilight enters the main room from the basement.

"No, no matter what I try it won't change anything."

Twilight sighed as well and looked at the stairway where Spike has vanished. She was sure she saw something purple for a moment. "I truly hope that he will come around. I can't remember that he held a grudge as long as this before." Twilight turned her head again to look at Trixie. "So, how can I help you? Or did you come around for a visit?"

"Actually, no. Do you have any books on teaching methods?"

"I think so," Twilight said, one eyebrow raised in confusion. "What do you need it for, if I may ask?"

"I ran into the crusaders earlier and had a little talk with Sweetie Belle about magic. One thing led to the other and she, along with her friends, convinced me to give her magic lessons."

Twilight beamed at the show mare. "That's fantastic news. She asked me before as well, but I don't have enough time besides my own studies, the library and my friends."

"Yeah, she told me as much."

Twilight blinked. "You don't sound so happy. Is something wrong?"

"I'm not a teacher, Twilight," Trixie said with a sigh. "I don't know anything about teaching in the first place. This will be a disaster."

Trixie lowered her head, but raised it again after she felt a hoof on her shoulder a few moments later.

"But you are willing to try, and you even came to learn about teaching to do the best you can do." Twilight smiled. "I'm sure everything will be good."

"Maybe you are right," Trixie said while she started smiling as well. "Thank you, Twilight."

After their little chat Twilight walked away to get the books for Trixie and returned shortly after, three books flying beside her. She put them inside of one of her saddlebags and levitated them over Trixie's back.

"I got two books about teaching, and I added another one with the magical basics as well. I thought it might be good to refresh your memory if you want to teach it. You can return the bags later."

Trixie nodded. "Thank you, I will return them as soon as possible." Before Trixie could turn around and leave she heard Twilight speak again.

"I wondered, Trixie. Had you started practicing again for your performances in the future yet?"

Trixie shook her head. "No, not yet. I wanted to get along better with everything going on, but maybe it's about time I think of something."

"Well, if you ever need help with some spells, I would like to help you."

Trixie was silent for a moment before she started laughing. "Accepting help from you? Ha!" Trixie stopped laughing and raised her head, reminding Twilight much of the first time she came into town. "No offense, Twilight, we really get along, but the Great and Powerful Trixie still sees you as her greatest rival, one she intends to better one day in a fair magical competition. And who would she be if she trains with her own rival? No, the Great and Powerful Trixie will best you on her own accord. Before she accepts your help, Tartarus will freeze over."

Twilight looked at Trixie for some time, not sure how to respond to that declaration before she started smirking. "Okay, oh Great and Powerful Trixie, I will look forward to this day, but my offer still stands. And I see you are back to your old speaking habits. What would Lyra say if she knows about it?"

"Oh, please, as if the Great and Powerful Trixie is afraid of that maniac."

"Oh, Trixiiieee."

Trixie froze in place, a shiver running down her spine and eyes growing wide after she heard that new, way too familiar voice. She slowly turned her head to the open window on her right side to see Lyra looking through it, grinning from ear to ear.

"Oh, ponyfeathers..."

~*~

The very next day was the day of Sweetie's first magic lesson with Trixie. To say the filly was excited was like saying Pinkie Pie likes parties. Sweetie Belle wasn't walking alongside Trixie, she was jumping around, running ahead and back again, trying to urge Trixie to go faster. It was kind of annoying, but Trixie could understand her.

That did not mean that she liked it.

"Sweetie, would you please calm down? I know that you can't wait, but you are not helping yourself by tiring yourself out."

The filly stopped in her tracks and fell back to walk besides the show mare. "I'm sorry, I'm just..."

Sweetie was stopped by a hoof on her back. "No need to tell me. I can see clearly how excited you are, and I felt the same back when I started learning." Trixie withdrew her hoof and walked again. "Now come on, it's not that far anymore."

Sweetie Belle looked around. They were walking to the outskirts of town near the White Tail Woods, not that far away from Trixie's cottage. "Where are we going?"

"I asked Twilight where we could go for our lessons which meets my requirements, and she told me about a place just outside of town."

"What are these requirements?"

"Enough space to not disturb other ponies and water nearby." Noticing the puzzled look on Sweetie's face at this last part Trixie continued. "Trust me, I know what I do."

A few minutes later both ponied reached their destination. It was a little meadow between the last buildings a small distance behind them and the border of the White Tail Woods in front of them. A few trees grew in some places and a small pond was nearby.

"Yes, this place will do good," Trixie said after she looked around and took everything in. She turned around and sat back on her haunches, Sweetie doing the same in front of her.

"Now, Sweetie, today we won't do that much. I need to know how much you already know about magic before we can really start anything."

Sweetie Belle began reciting everything she learned about magic, may it be from the very few things Cheerilee knows, what she learned from her sister and other unicorns talking or from her own attempts of studying. Sadly it was not much besides the basic knowledge that each tribe got their own unique types of magic or things way to complicated for her to really understand or use at this moment or even at all.

Trixie made her note in her mind to have another conversation with Rarity and their parents regarding Sweeties state of knowledge about magic.

“Good, Sweetie, that helps me a lot for now,” Trixie said. “Yesterday you mentioned that you tried to use magic on your own, and sometimes produced sparks doing so. Would you show me how you did it?”

Sweetie frowned and bit her lower lip. “Well, I could, but what use would there be? I can't do anything.”

Trixie put her hoof under Sweetie's chin and lifted her head up. “Don't be so down, we are her to work on it. And to answer your question, it might help me see how you attempt to use magic and what you might do wrong while doing so.”

Sweetie nodded with a smile. “Okay, but what should I try to do?”

Trixie opened her saddlebag and a tennis ball came floating out of it, coming to a stop on the ground in front of Sweetie Belle. "How about the most classic spell every unicorn can learn: Levitation. Try to let the ball hover in front of you."

Sweetie nodded her head before she started glaring at the ball. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Trixie watched closely as the filly started to puff out her cheeks, her eyes narrowed and fixated on the ball as she tried to use her magic on it.

Trixie watched the spectacle for a minute before she put a hoof on Sweetie's shoulder. "That's enough, Sweetie."

Sweetie stopped and lowered her head. "See, I told you it's useless."

"That's not what I would call it. I think I got a good idea what you are doing wrong."

Sweetie looked up after hearing that, her eyes growing wide. "Really?"

Trixie nodded. "You see, you try to force your magic out, but you need to control it. Sooner or later you might succeed with your attempts, but if that happens you won't be able to control it and might hurt somepony."

"I always thought that was the way to do it," Sweetie said, her eyes big in shock. "I don't want to use my magic if I might hurt my friends."

"Don't worry, I will help you learning to control your magic without hurting anypony by accident," Trixie said with a smile.

Sweetie nodded confident. "Alright, what do I need to do?"

"The key to controlling your magic is concentration. If you stay calm and concentrate you will find the magic in you." Trixie averted her gaze with a grimace. "Regarding your level of energy and liveliness it might take some time."

"I will do my best!"

"I don't doubt that," Trixie said with a chuckle before she settled down on the grass with Sweetie and began explaining what to do.

Author's Note:

And the next one is done. Still not much going on yet, but that will change with the next chapter :derpytongue2: