• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,795 Views, 145 Comments

Start Of A New Life - Madox



Trixie suffers of nightmares since she wore the Alicorn Amulet and returns to Ponyville to ask Twilight for help.

  • ...
1
 145
 2,795

Chapter 4 - The Next Morning

Chapter 4 - The Calm Before The Storm


Twilight stayed awake the rest of the night to help Trixie stay awake, preventing her from having more nightmares.

Trixie opened up to Twilight after her emotional breakdown and told her about what she’d endured since the start of the nightmares over three months ago, from her terrible performances, to her failed jobs to earn a few bits and her travels from town to town.

This included her travels to Ponyville and her encounter with the Timberwolf, which was way more serious than she let on.

Trixie had been unable to use magic in her weakened state and resorted to using her hat and cape as a distraction. That was probably the only reason she was still alive.

Twilight felt pity for the poor mare. If she had heard anything about what had happened to Trixie before, she would have gone to find and help her earlier. But, she felt that she could at least help her now, as far as getting rid of the nightmares, and maybe even a tad more.

Sometime during the night, Twilight went to her kitchen and made sandwiches for the both of them, of which Trixie devoured hungrily. It seemed as though it had been some time since her last decent meal.

While Trixie ate her sandwiches, Twilight got some paper and a quill and wrote a letter to the princesses to inform them of the situation, and ask whether or not they could come to Canterlot to see them. The finished letter lied on the table, waiting to be sent by Spike in the morning.

The rest of the night went on without any incidents, other than one time Trixie had drifted off to sleep. Twilight stood up from her resting place at the table and stretched her limbs. She looked over at Trixie, who was, thankfully, still awake.

“Good morning, Trixie. Are you hungry? How does pancakes sound? I'm not as good as a cook as Spike, but it's still better than nothing.”

Before could respond her, stomach grumbled. “Trixie thinks that might be a great idea,” she answered with a snicker.

“Great.” Twilight walked in the direction of the kitchen, but turned around after some steps. “Would you like to take a bath while I make breakfast? No offense, but you could really use one.”

Trixie took one sniff of her armpit and gagged. “Trixie sees your point and gladly accepts your offer. A life on the streets isn't exactly helpful with personal hygiene. However, Trixie thinks a shower might be a better idea, she doesn't thinks she can stay awake through a bath.”

“Good point, I hadn't thought of that. The bathroom is over there,” she said, pointing to a room upstairs. “Please, help yourself,” said Twilight with a smile.

After Trixie disappeared inside of the bathroom, Twilight went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast, but was interrupted by a knock coming from the front door.

'Who could that be at this hour?' Twilight thought while making her way to the door. When she opened the door, she was greeted by Rarity.

“Good morning, darling. I hope I'm not bothering you by coming this early.”

“Hello, Rarity,” Twilight said. “Don't worry, I'm just making breakfast. What brings you here this early in the morning?”

Rarity trotted inside of the main room of the library. “Well, I wanted to check if everything went alright with Trixie yesterday.”

“Oh, it's...,” Twilight started to answer before she realized what Rarity had said. “Wait, how do you know about Trixie?”

“Oh please, darling,” Rarity said with a roll of her eyes. “Do you really think I wouldn't notice Spikes grumpy attitude when he came to the boutique yesterday?”

“Oh, right. I forgot that he went to your house after I'd gotten back.”

“I was kinda worried when he mentioned that Trixie was back, so I gave Spike something to do and said that I needed to run an important errand. Then, I came here to see if she would try anything again.”

Rarity's smile quickly faded Her eyes shifted to the ground. “I looked through one of the windows to see what was going. When I saw the state Trixie was in and how well you two seem to get along, I knew that everything was right and that she hadn't come to do us any harm this time. But, I feel terrible now. I invaded your privacy.”

“Don't worry, Rarity,” Twilight assured her with a smile. “I'm not angry, I know that you only did it for me. And I can assure you that Trixie means no harm this time, she only needs help with a problem.”

“May I ask what it is she needs your help with? Maybe I can help somehow, too?” Rarity asked with confidence.

“I don't think that Trixie would appreciate it if I told anypony about her situation without her consent. She trusts me and I don't want to lose that. As it is, it took her three months before she accepted that she needed help from me. Besides, I don't think that there is a way you could help, Rarity. I wasn't able to find any clue how to help her, and I underestimated how serious this was. That’s why we're going to Canterlot to see the princesses. They are the only ones I can think of who might be able to help her.”

“Oh, dear, that must be a really big problem if you can’t find anything here to help her. But, I'm sure the princesses can find a way to help her. And I understand that you don't want to lose her trust, after everything that’s happened with her, that might be her first step in the right way.”

“I really hope so.”

“Don't worry, darling. If there is somepony who could get through to her, it's you. By the way, where Trixie is, I didn't see her trailer while walking through town.”

“She’s still here. She stayed overnight so that we could go to Canterlot the moment we get an answer from the princess. She's taking a shower at the moment.”

“Oh, then I think it might be the best if I go my way. I can imagine that she wouldn't feel comfortable around someone else for the time being.” Rarity turned around and started her way to the door. “I hope that everything turns out right.”

“I hope so as well. I’ll see you later. Oh, and Rarity. Please don't mention to anypony that Trixie’s here. I don't want anypony to think that she’s doing anything strange again”

“Of course, darling. My lips are sealed. I’ll be on my way now, don't want to be a bother for you any longer. Ta-ta.” Rarity exited out of the front door and closed it behind her with her magic.

“I must be really lucky to have such good and understanding friends,” Twilight thought before trotting back into the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

~*~

Outside of the library Rarity began her way back to the boutique. 'I really hope everything works out with Trixie,'Rarity thought. 'Whatever is going on with her, it must be truly terrible if her look from yesterday is any indication.'

“Psst, Rarity.”

“Hmm?” Rarity turned around, looking for the source of the voice. After a moment of looking, she found Spike on the balcony of the library, gesturing for her to come closer. “Spike, what are you doing on the balcony?”

“I want to talk to you, but I don’t want Twilight to hear. Could you give me a lift to the ground?”

Rarity used her magic to levitate the small dragon to the ground in front of her. “Ok, Spike. What's going on? It's not usual for you to keep a secret from Twilight.”

“It's about Trixie,” Spike said with concern in his voice. “I don't know what she’s doing, but she did something to Twilight.”

Rarity was taken back by. “What does he mean by that? “Spike, that is a serious accusation that you’re implying. How do you know if Trixie did something to Twilight?”

“Yesterday evening, I went to sleep after I got back from helping you, but in the middle of the night, I awoke to a bloodcurtling scream. I'm sure that it was Twilight who was screaming, however, when I came to the main room of the library, I saw both of them hugging each other at the table, as if they are the closest friends. She probably used some kind of spell on her, and I'm not sure if I can talk with her about it. You need to help me, Rarity, I don't know what I should do.”

Rarity thought about the situation for a moment before answering. “Hmm. Spike, I know you don't like Trixie, and I doubt you would lie about something serious like this. Plus, what you told me does sound suspicious, but, are you absolutely sure that it was Twilight screaming last night?”

“Well...no, but who else could it have been?”

“There are several possibilities. It’s possible that the scream came from somepony outside and you thought it came from inside the library. Or it could have been Trixie herself. We don't know what happened while you were asleep, so even the hugging could be something different than you think.”

“But-” Spike started, but was interrupted by a good from Rarity.

“Spike, you can’t just walk around throwing accusations around without any solid evidence. Remember Cadence and Shining Armor’s wedding. Twilight accused Cadence of being evil. She was right in the end, but, at that moment, had no proof and we all abandoned her, even the princess.” Rarity didn't like to think about how all of them treated Twilight, but that was in the past.

“So if you now start the same thing like Twilight did back then, nopony will believe you. Or, what could be worse, they’ll believe you and go against Trixie. And what if later, we learn that she hadn't done anything? That might ruin her reputation. Would you really ruin somepony’s life without knowing if your accusations are true?”

“When you put it that way...”, Spike mumbled. “But, then what should I do now?”

“Keep your eyes open, Spike. Look out for anything suspicious that might prove Trixie is up to something. And if you’re really sure that she is, than you can come to one of us or even the princesses for help. I’ll keep my eyes and ears open as well, just in case I notice anything strange. But for now, I think you should go back inside, before Twilight notices you’re gone.”

“Ok, I can do that,” Spike said with confidence. He looked to the balcony and then back to Rarity. “Ehm, could you give me a lift back on to the balcony? It would be strange if I walk through the front door without having left in the first place, if you know what I mean.”

“Of course, Spike,” Rarity said with a chuckle before lifting him up back on the balcony with her magic. “See you later.”

“Bye, Rarity,” Spike said as he walked back into the library.

'I sure hope that you’re wrong, Spike,' Rarity thought to herself while walking back home. 'But it's always better to be over prepared for nothing than under prepared for an emergency.'

~*~

Twilight was still in the kitchen preparing breakfast, when she heard footsteps behind her. She turned around and saw Spike entering the kitchen with a frown on his face. She sighed. “Spike, could I talk with you for a moment?”

“Sure, if we have to,” he huffed before taking his seat at the table.

“Yes,we do,” Twilight said annoyed. She put aside the pan from the stove and turned around to face Spike. She used her magic to levitate the letter for the princess on the table in front of Spike. “But before I start, would you send this letter to the princess?”

Without saying anything Spike took the letter in his claw and with a quick breath of his fire it was gone.

“Ok, Spike, I don't think I need to mention what we’re going to to talk about. It’s blatantly obvious after how you acted yesterday that you still have a problem with Trixie.”

“What did you expect, that I’d just forgive her for everything she did to you and the rest of the town?” Spike said. “Nope, not now, and not anytime soon.”

Twilight was appalled.“That’s not what I’d expect from you. I can’t force you to forgive her and I understand your frustration, but if nopony takes the first step and gives her a second chance, she might be stuck with all her problems, without anypony to turn to for help. I would like to be that somepony, and after she came to me of all ponies to help her, and I will try my best to do that.”

Twilight took a deep breath, before she continued. “As I said, I won’t force you to be her friend, or even to like her. The only thing I will ask you is not to be so aggressive to her. She made mistakes in the past, but we all have, plus, she’s done nothing since she’s come back to Ponyville, besides asking for help, of course.

“That’s all I ask from you, try to be less aggressive to her. Could you do that for me, please?”

Spike thought for a few moments about this. If he refuse, he would not be able to keep an eye out on Trixie. After all, why should he keep being near Trixie if he hates her so much. But, if he played along, he could stay closer and observe her without raising any suspicion.

“Ok, Twilight,” Spike said with a defeated sigh, “I won't promise anything, but I will try my best to be a little friendlier to Trixie, as long as she doesn't try anything fishy. But, let me make this clear, I’m doing this only for you, not for her.”

“Thank you, Spike,” she said as she hugged him, “that’s all I ask of you.” After a moment she withdrew from the hug. Then, she walked back to the stove and continued making pancakes while Spike took his seat at the table.

A few minutes later, Trixie walked into the kitchen with a slightly wet mane and tail. “Wow, you have no idea how wonderful a hot shower can be, Twilight,” Trixie said. “Trixie feels like a new ma-.”She stopped suddenly mid-sentence when she noticed Spike at the table. She retreated back to the main room of the library and glanced around the corner in the kitchen without saying anything.

“What’s seems to be the problem?” Spike asked with a hint of false confusion.

“Nothing,” Trixie answered quietly, shaking her head.

Twilight finished the pancakes, and looked at Trixie with a worried look. “Trixie, is something the matter?”

“No, no, everything’s good.”

“Well, this is awkward,” Spike said before jumping up from his chair. “If you don't mind, Twilight, I’d like to take my pancakes and eat in the main room.I have a bowl of emeralds that would go perfect with these pancakes.”

Spike took a dish and filled it with some pancakes, then walked to the main room. As he passed Trixie, she withdrew from the door and quickly rushed inside the kitchen. She walked over to the table and sat down.

Twilight stared at her for a moment before she addressing the elephant in the room. “Trixie, what was all that about? You didn't reacted like that to Spike yesterday when he came back.”

“Trixie would prefer not to talk about it right now, if you don't mind,” she said, looking down at the table.

Twilight considered to press some more about the situation, but ultimately decided against it. If Trixie felt uncomfortable talking about it now than she was not going to force her to do so. “Ok, Trixie, I won't say that I'm not curious, but we’ll talk about it later.”

“Thank you, Twilight,” Trixie said with a smile on her face. “Trixie appreciates that.” Trixie’s stomach grumbled hungrily after getting a whiff of the pancakes. “Is Trixie wrong or is breakfast ready?” Trixie asked, with a blush on her cheeks.

Twilight couldn't help but giggle while she levitated the dishes with the pancakes to the table. “Yes, it is. And we needn't hurry. Spike already send the letter to the princesses and now we have only to wait for their response.”

“That's something Trixie was wondering about. Why did you wait for Spike to wake up to send the letter? Wouldn't it have been easier to get the letter to the post office by yourself?”

“Right, you don't know about that,” Twilight said. “The princess enchanted Spike’s dragon flame. Every time he burns a letter it will disappear and go directly to the princesses. They can also send letters directly to me through him.”

Trixie sat with her jaw open, then, she responded. “Wow, that’s impressive. Trixie didn't even know that kind of magic existed. But, how does he receive the letters?”

Before Twilight could answer that question, they both heard Spike from the main room. “Bluargh! Twilight, you got a letter from the princess.”

“Eww,” Trixie remarked.

“Yeah, it took some time getting used to,” Twilight said with a chuckle. She used her magic to levitate the letter from the other room to the kitchen. While she read the letter, her expression turned into one of confusion.

“Well, I guess we will need to with hurry our breakfast. A chariot is already on it's way to pick us up. the princesses apparently want to see us as soon as possible.” Twilight paused for a moment, before she looked at Trixie .

“They’ve been looking for you, Trixie.”

Author's Note:

Hey everybody, it's been a while since the last chapter. I had some problems with writing and privately and to top it off both my old and a new editor had to stop because of personal reasons. :fluttercry:

Because of this and since it's been so long I decided to release this and maybe other chapters for now unedited, so there will probably some mistakes regarding grammar, tenses and punctuation. I hope to find a new editor soon and will then rework this chapter as well as the old ones. :scootangel:

It's possible that the title of this chapter will change in the future. It was first planned that this one and the next one would be one chapter, but since they are so long I divided them in two and had to think of a title for this one.

I hope you enjoy my little chapter, and the next one is already nearly finished :pinkiehappy: