• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,796 Views, 145 Comments

Start Of A New Life - Madox



Trixie suffers of nightmares since she wore the Alicorn Amulet and returns to Ponyville to ask Twilight for help.

  • ...
1
 145
 2,796

Chapter 7 - Home Sweet Home (Part 1)

Chapter 7 – Home Sweet Home (Part 1)

The next day Trixie was walking besides Twilight through Ponyville to the location of her new home that Twilight found with Applejack's help. She didn't know anything about the place, since Twilight wanted it to be a surprise, no matter how much she tried to get any information out of her.

But in the end she accepted that her attempts were fruitless and so she has to wait until they arrived at their destination. She was, after all, curious what this place would be that Twilight and Applejack found for her to stay, and that fast, too.

“Will it be much longer before Trixie can see the place or will she die out of curiosity before?”

“I hope not,” Twilight giggled. “We are almost there. Applejack should be somewhere around here, she wanted to meet us before.” Twilight looked around, before she noticed Applejack trotting towards them from the outskirts. “There she is.”

“Howdy you two,” Applejack said when she reached the two mares. “How are ya
doin' today?”

“Quite good, Trixie hasn't slept so well in ages as in the last two days.”

“I can confirm that, we could hear her snoring in the whole library,” Twilight said laughing, which Applejack joined into.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie does not snore,” Trixie said with a growl. “But now Trixie finally wants to see this place you two found for her.”

Applejack grinned. “Well, then let's go. It's a little bit outside of town, near the Whitetail Woods.”

'Finally a piece of information,' Trixie thought. 'Outside of town means I won't get too much attention from the rest of the town in the beginning. That does sound really good.'

The three mares walked for a few more minutes through town. There were not many ponies around, but they received a few glances, mostly Trixie, which she simply ignored. Twilight noticed these glances as well, but hoped that the other ponies won't harass Trixie too much after she learned about what happened the day before from Trixie.

The trio left the last houses behind them and walked along a small path, until a small cottage came into view. But what Trixie could see was not really encouraging. It was a nice, little cottage with a single floor, but there was a lot of trash lying around. Some of the shutters of the windows were hanging from their hinges, and Trixie could see a few holes in the roof.

“Well, Trixie, what do you say?” Twilight asked when they reached the front of the cottage.

Trixie didn't know how to respond at first. “It... looks a bit rundown. And dirty.”

“Yes, we know,” Applejack said. “That's part of why we were able to get it for ya. Only if ya want it of course.”

Trixie looked at Applejack with a raised eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“You see Trixie,” Twilight said, “this place belongs to a business partner and friend of Applejack and her family, Filthy Rich. He wanted to take down the place after the last tenants left the place overnight like this without coming back. But we talked with him yesterday about this and we made a deal.”

Twilight walked closer to the building in question. “If we manage to clean up and repair the place for him, he will let you live here without paying rent for the winter as payment. It is only a temporary solution, but it should be enough for now, and you don't need to worry during the winter months.”

Trixie was dumbstruck while she walked past Twilight to one of the windows of the cottage without shutters and tried to peek inside, but the glass was too dirty and the room inside too dark to see much. She turned around again to face Twilight and Applejack who waited for her to say something.

“Trixie doesn't know what to say,” she said. “She expected a small place in a multi-family house or a hotel room, but not a whole cottage for herself.”

“Ya were really lucky here, sugar cube,” Applejack said. “A week or so later and there would be nothin' here to live in. And Ah can't think of another place right now where ya could live without any bits.”

“At least something good happens to Trixie once in a while,” Trixie said with a frown, “but she still appreciates your help to find this place, Applejack. This is more than she deserves.” Trixie turned around to look at the cottage again. “But Trixie has no idea how she is supposed to clean and repair the place all by her-”

Trixie never managed to finish her sentence before she was tackled by a pink blur, sending her into the grass as she rolled head over hooves, ending up on her back with a pink mare above her.

“Heya, Trix,” Pinkie Pie said with a big grin on her face. “Are you excited? Do you like your new place? I can't wait to throw you a housewarming party.”

“Did somepony got this chariot?” Trixie mumbled while she tried to stop the world from spinning.

“Pinkie Pie! I told you tackling other ponies is not a proper way to greet them, especially not if they are not familiar with you.”

Trixie looked over to the side where the voice came from, her vision still slightly blurred from the impact. She managed to see Rarity walking up to her side with a frown directed to Pinkie on her face. Behind her Trixie could see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash standing besides Twilight and Applejack, the latter trying to suppress a giggle.

“Awww, but it's so much more fun.”

“Maybe for you, but not for everypony.” Rarity turned her gaze to Trixie and reached out one of her hooves to help her get up. When Trixie stood again, Rarity slightly frowned when she saw that Trixie's mane was a mess. “Let me help you with your coiffure, darling.” A few moments and a bit of magic later Trixie's mane was back to its usual self. “There, that's much better.”

Trixie shook her head to free herself from the dizziness of the pink assault. “Thank you, but what are you all doing here?”

“Well, we are here to help with your new home,” Rarity said before she turned around to look at the cottage for the first time, her eyes growing when she saw the state of it. “Sweet Celestia, it's even worse than I thought. That might take some time.”

'Why are they all gonna help me?' Trixie thought confused. She just couldn't understand these ponies. They have any reason to hate her, but they gave her another chance and now they even want to help her with her new home. “Why are you helping Trixie? She doesn't understand.”

“What is there not to understand, silly filly?” Pinkie said. “We are simply going to help a fr-”.

Before Pinkie could finish her mouth was shut down by Twilight with her magic, but she was too late. Trixie was not dumb, and so she was able to conclude what Pinkie was about to say. She narrowed her eyes and turned her head to the side.

“What is it with the ponies in this town and their desires of being friends? Trixie is good on her own, she doesn't need friends.” For a brief moment Trixie thought back to her encounter with Lyra the day before and what she said at the end, but she dismissed it quickly.

The group of ponies was taken aback by her outburst, and Rainbow Dash was about to say something in remark. But before she could give Trixie a piece of her mind, she was stopped by Twilight's hoof on her shoulder.

“Trixie, would you give us a moment?” Twilight said before she led her friends away from the show mare before she addressed them. “Look, girls. As you noticed, Trixie seems to have a problem with others calling her a friend or themselves her friends.” She looked over to the mare in question, who was looking at the cottage. “I don't know why she reacts this way, but I guess something happened in her past to feel this way.”

“Oh my,” Fluttershy gasped. “What could have happened to her to have this opinion? I hope it was nothing to terrible.”

Twilight shook her head. “There is no way for us to know until Trixie is willing to speak about it. But the first time I called her a friend she was smiling for a moment, so I think she might come around after some time. Till then, I guess it's the best not to call Trixie a friend for now, do you agree?” The group nodded in agreement and walked back to Trixie, who was still frowning. “Sorry for that, Trixie,” Twilight said. “What Pinkie meant was that they want to help you as a compensation for how they treated you back the first time you came to Ponyville. Am I right, girls?”

A collective nod and mumbles of agreement came from the group. Trixie stood still, her head slightly tilted and her eyes narrowed. Finally, her frown turned into a small smile. “Trixie thinks that's acceptable.”

Twilight relaxed with a sigh. For a moment she thought Trixie would decline their offer of help.

“Well then, how about we go and look what the inside is like?” Applejack said. “Mr. Rich wanted to be here, but he had an appointment he couldn't postpone, so he gave me the keys. He will come over later.”

The group made their way over to the front door of the cottage and Applejack opened it. She moved to the side and motioned to Trixie to go first. After all, it is Trixie's new home, so it should be her who walks inside first. Trixie took a deep breath and walked inside, her horn ignited so that she could see something.

Trixie was surprised, the inside of the cottage looked much better than she expected. From the inside the place was mostly intact. Trixie could see a few broken floorboards and a broken door deeper inside, and there were the holes in the roof and the damaged shutters, but besides these it was mostly dirt lying around.

The cottage itself consists of a big living room, in which Trixie was standing right now, a small kitchen side, a small bathroom and a second room in the back of the place as a bedroom. But what Trixie surprised the most was the fact that there are still a lot pieces of furniture all over the place, left behind by the former tenants. Most of these were either broken or in a bad shape, but some of them were still usable.

The room was suddenly flooded with light. Trixie looked behind her to see Applejack who had opened the first of the shutters from the windows.

“So, what do ya say? It's a bit small, and it needs a bit of work, but Ah think it would be perfect for ya.”

“Yes, there is no way that Trixie could say it otherwise,” Trixie said. “She would be more than happy and grateful with any other place, but she gets this one to herself, so yes, it's perfect.” Trixie turned to face Applejack. “Trixie dosn't know how to thank you, Applejack.”

Applejack waved her hoof. “Ah shucks, sugar cube, that was nothin'.” She was silent for a moment, before she received a small nudge from Twilight. She looked at her friend in confusion for a moment, before she realized what Twilight wanted to say with it. “Ya can see it as another repayment for how Ah treated ya back then, besides the help with cleaning up everythin.”

“So, how about we get started with the cleaning?” Rarity said, a slight grimace on her face. “The sooner we start, the sooner all the dirt will be gone. Oh, and of course that the place will be ready to live in again.”

All of them agreed and began cleaning up Trixie's new place, starting with all of the trash lying around, much to Rarity's joy. Most of the stuff lying around consisted of old clothes, furniture that was simply thrown out of the windows, or old food, which even helped to fertilize the garden outside. The group finished outside pretty fast, so they moved to the inside, which took way more time.

During the day the group made greatly progress, even after Applejack and Rarity had to leave for work and Rainbow to do something important, which probably meant taking a nap somewhere. In the early afternoon, the rest of the group decided to take a lunch break. Since Fluttershy and Pinkie had both small appointments on their own, Twilight decided to show Trixie around the town on their way to the library. She thought that would be the best way to avoid more complications with the towns ponies. She wanted to explain the situation to them together with Trixie at least to some degree.

After they departed from the rest of the group both mares walked back into town. On their way to the restaurant they explained Trixie's situation to many ponies they met and Trixie apologized many times for what she did. Most of the ponies forgave her or gave her the benefit of the doubt, not truly believing the story about the corrupting amulet. Some others weren't so kind and made sure Trixie knows what they think about her, much to Twilight's disapprove.

After their small lunch Twilight showed Trixie the most important places in town for now, trying not to overwhelm her with everything at once. The trip was not long and both mares started their trot back to Trixie's new home.

"So Trixie," Twilight started to say," what do you think about Ponyville?"

Trixie thought for a moment before she answered. "Trixie has to admit that it is a very interesting place with some unique locations, like this pastry shop that looks like a gingerbread house."

"Yeah, Sugar Cube Corner got more than one curious look over time," Twilight said with a chuckle, before she noticed that Trixie wasn't at her side any longer. "Trixie?" Twilight turned around and saw Trixie standing in front of another building, looking up at the name of the shop.

"Bon Bons Sweets?" Trixie turned her head in Twilight's direction. "Trixie thought that Sugar Cube Corner is the only sweets shop in town?"

Twilight walked up to Trixie and the shop in question. "No, Bon Bon got her own candy store, while the cakes mostly sell pastries." Twilight noticed how Trixie was staring at some of the candies in the window and grinned.

“What do you think, should we go inside and get something for us and the girls later? I could introduce you to Bon Bon as well."

Trixie blushed slightly when she realized that Twilight got her and nodded. They entered the shop and Trixie looked around in awe. It has been years since the last time she entered a sweet shop or something similar, and she was enthralled with all the sweet, delicious treasures surrounding her.

"Well well well, look who couldn't get enough of good old me." Trixie stopped in her daze when she heard that familiar voice. She turned to the counter of the shop and there stood Lyra, a big grin on her face.

"Lyra? What are you doing here?" Trixie asked.

"I'm trying to steal something from the register," Lyra said facetiously with a roll of her eyes. "What do you think I'm doing, I'm working here. Or better, I'm helping out."

Twilight looked from one mare to the other and back. "You know each other?"

"Kind of," Trixie said. "Trixie met her yesterday when she was out and we had a little talk."

"Yup," Lyra said while she walked around the counter and took Trixie in a side way hug. "We talked a bit, became friends, you know the drill, Twilight.”

Twilight was surprised when Lyra mentioned that they became friends, but her hopes were crushed a moment later when Trixie shoved Lyra away.

"We are NOT friends. We only met once and talked a bit, nothing more."

Lyra didn't seem to be offended by Trixie's behavior and simply shrugged. "Whatever you say, Trixie. I surely know that I enjoyed our talk, and I'm pretty sure you did as well."

Before Trixie got a chance to respond to Lyra's statement they were interrupted by a new voice.

"Lyra? Is everything alright here?"

Trixie looked past Lyra, who turned around after hearing the new voice, and saw another mare emerging from a door behind the counter. The mare had a tan coat color and a blue and pink curled mane, and her cutie mark were three wrapped candies.

"Everything is alright, Bonnie," Lyra said. "Just got some friends visiting."

The mare, Trixie presumed it was Bon Bon, the owner of the shop that Twilight mentioned before, walked closer to Lyra and Trixie prepared herself to meet another pony she needs to apologize to.

The moment Bon Bon noticed Trixie she stopped in her ways, her eyes wide open in recognition. This state didn't last long before it turned into a glare.

"What is that monster doing here after everything she did?!" Bon Bon growled.

Trixie's heart fell after that acclamation and she recoiled back slightly. It wasn't the first time that somepony said something like this before, but that doesn't mean that it won't hurt. And again it was one thing to hear somepony whisper things about her to somepony else, and get it shouted right in her face.

Trixie was not the only one truly surprised to hear what Bon Bon said. Neither Twilight nor Lyra were prepared for it and stood still, their mouths wide open.

'Stay calm, Trixie,' she thought. 'You knew that there would be somepony who hates you that you need to face. Be confident and apologize.' Trixie took a deep breath to calm her nerves.

"Trixie wanted to-"

"Save your breath for someone who cares for whatever you want!" Bon Bon interrupted her. "You are not welcome here, so get out of my shop or you will learn what it feels like to get bucked in the face by an earth pony!"

"Bon Bon, stop it!" Twilight yelled. She couldn't believe her ears about what she just heard from the mare. She could understand that she was mad because of the things Trixie did just like the others they met before, but threatening her with violence is something else.

"Yeah, Bonnie," Lyra said. "What's wrong with you?"

Bon Bon had no a chance to respond to them before they heard a voice from the entrance of the shop.

"No, i-it's okay, she is right." Twilight and Lyra turned around to see Trixie walking towards the door, her head hanging low and her ears drooped. "Trixie will just go."

She used her magic to open the door, but before she went through she turned her head and looked at Bon Bon. "Trixie wanted to say sorry for everything she did." After her apology she walked out of the shop.

"Trixie, wait!" Twilight shouted after the mare. She glared one more time at
Bon Bon before she ran after Trixie.

Outside of the shop Twilight saw Trixie slowly walking in the direction of her future cottage, her head still hanging low. She quickly catches up to the mare and walked beside her.

"Trixie, I'm sorry. If I had known that Bon Bon would react like this... "

“It's not your fault, Twilight, it's mine and mine alone. I'm already used to it."

"Trixie, that's...," Twilight began but was interrupted by a shout from behind.

"Trixie, wait!"

Twilight and Trixie turned to the source of the voice and saw Lyra running up to them. Trixie was surprised when Lyra not just stopped in front of them but instead threw her arms around Trixie's neck, pulling her in an embrace.

"I'm sooo sorry for what happened with Bonnie."

Trixie tried to free herself of Lyra's grip around her neck after the initial shock of somepony hugging her out of nowhere, but she noticed soon that her attempt was futile. "It's okay, Lyra..."

"No, it's not!" Lyra snapped while she finally released Trixie and took a few steps back. "Bonnie is the most important thing in my live and I truly love her, but I won't let her talk like this to a friend of mine."

Trixie listened up after that statement. "You two are a couple?" Lyra simply answered with a nod and a grin. Trixie lowered her gaze to the ground again. "You should go back to her. Trixie don't want to be the cause of even more problems."

Lyra seemed to think about that for a moment before she shook her head. "Nope, won't do. Bonnie should not think that she can mess up and get away with it." She started grinning again. "That's my job after all."

Lyra raised one of her hooves and pointed at Trixie. "You did nothing wrong. You came to apologize for your mistakes, nothing more. Bonnie was the one who overreacted and threw a tantrum. Right now I won't go back to her, but later we will talk about how she messed up."

She stood there for a few moments dead serious, but before long she started to giggle. "Oh, that will be so much fun! Usually it's me who messes up and gets a scolding from Bonnie. This time I will be the one scolding her."

Trixie couldn't resist chuckling at the mares attics. "Thank you, Lyra. Trixie appreciates your kind words."

"You're welcome," Lyra said.

During the whole conversation Twilight sat on the side watching the two mares, a smile on her face. She was glad that Trixie found somepony who wants to help her. Then again she wondered how Trixie did not realize that she has made a friend without wanting or even realizing it, even if said friend more than once said that they are friends. Of course, she would not go and ask Trixie about it, regarding how she reacted to Twilight’s attempts days ago.

After she watched the two talk for a few more minutes she stood up and cleared her throat to get their attention.

"Sorry for interrupting you two, but it's time to go back, Trixie. The others are probably wondering where we are."

"Oh, right,"Trixie said. She had totally forgotten that they are supposed to repair the cottage.

"The others?" Lyra asked, her head tilted to the side.

"My friends," Twilight said. "You see, Trixie will be staying in Ponyville for some time and we are helping her renovate an old cottage on the outskirts."

Lyra's eyes grew in size. "Why didn't you say something sooner? I wanna help as well."

"Why would you want to help?" Trixie asked in surprise. She looked over to Twilight for an answer, but the mare simply shrugged.

"Well, duh. Why should I not wanna help a friend in need? So come on, let's go!"

Lyra turned around and ran away. Twilight quickly followed her, calling out that she should wait and that she dosn't even know the way.

Trixie stood in the middle of the street a moment longer, before she trotted after them.

"We are not friends..." she quietly mumbled to herself.

Author's Note:

Well, there it is after more than one year of hiatus. Sadly I was not able to find someone to edit and proofread this chapter, so I used a website to check the grammar. I hope that it is any good and that not so many mistakes remain. I did the same with the last chapter from last year which was unedited until a few days ago.

I also added the Dark Tag to the story, but mostly to be on the safe side for a few chapters like the second one with the nightmare. I will mark these chapters with a [D] behind the title, but there won't be that many, probably two or three in total.

I hope that you like this new chapter, and like always I appreciate criticism to improve myself.