• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,756 Views, 144 Comments

Start Of A New Life - Madox



Trixie suffers of nightmares since she wore the Alicorn Amulet and returns to Ponyville to ask Twilight for help.

  • ...
1
 144
 2,756

Chapter 15 - The Calm Before The Storm

Trixie's life has made a huge turn since her return to Ponyville. She has her own home, a regular income from her teaching job and many friends. Life was perfect.

Well, it would be perfect if there wasn't still be the little fact that she was still cursed with nightmares. In these six month since she approached Twilight they had found not a single clue about how to lift that curse, and one day they would run out of time. The time between the recharges for the protection amulet she received from the princesses has already decreased immense to nearly half the time from the beginning even if Twilight was sure that after Heartswarming Eve the amulet lasted longer for some time. Another six month, or maybe even less, and the amulet will be useless.

But Trixie wasn't thinking about the inevitable. If they can't find a solution in time there is nothing she can do, so she enjoys every single moment as good as she can as long as they last.

And slowly life was returning to normalcy in Ponyville as well. After months of monster attacks from the Everfree Forest it seems that whatever agitated the monsters to leave the forest has slowed down. It's been nearly a month since the last sighting of a monster outside of the forest. The guards were still at full force in Ponyville at the moment to ensure that it will stay that way, but it seems it won't be long until most of them can return to their usual posts in Canterlot.

Trixie was thinking about everything that happened while she was looking out of the window of the school building. Cheerilee has fallen sick recently and she has been asked if she could help out as a substitute teacher for a few days, watching over the school kids while they worked on some tasks Cheerilee has left behind. It wasn't something challenging, mostly boring like school tends to get if you got nothing to do, even as teacher. She has won over most of the fillies and colts with her teaching them and her performance after Hearth's Warming Eve, so they respect her now and won't cause trouble.

That performance has only been planned as a gift for her friends for Hearth's Warming Eve, but word got around and slowly more ponies came and asked if they could watch as well. It didn't take long until Trixie has decided to make it a public event. Lavender and Fuchsia who joined Trixie on stage as her assistants were not so thrilled at first to be on stage with so many ponies, but they came around and the performance has been a huge success.

Trixie looked at the clock on the wall of the classroom and stood up. “Alright, everypony. School is over for today. Please leave your sheets at the desk in the front before you leave.” Not much later Trixie had gathered all the sheets in her saddlebags to deliver them to Cheerilee later and walked out of the school building. She locked the door behind her and turned around to walk into town when she noticed that many of the kids had stayed behind, obviously waiting for her.

“Hey, how can I help you?”

The kids shuffled around a bit before Dinky Doo was shoved to the front. “Miss Trixie, we wanted to ask you something.”

“Sure, go on, Dinky, I got a few minutes of free time,” Trixie replied with a smile.

“Well, there is this talent show in two weeks, and many of us wanted to be a part of it. Miss Cheerilee promised to help us, and she even got permission from the guards to go to the outskirts to practice with some guards watching over us for the next week. But now with Miss Cheerilee being sick we can't go there. Would you go with us and help us prepare for the show?”

Trixie thought for a moment. “Hm, I got not many plans for the next week yet besides that one day of magic lesson, and I think we could combine these two or maybe cancel it for once.”

Dinky and the others perked up upon hearing that. “Does that mean 'yes'?”

“Yes, it does,” she answered with a smile. “I will go to the guard captain later and discuss everything with him to be Cheerilee's replacement for the next week. You can go on and tell your friends, I will tell the class tomorrow as well.”

Dinky moved forward and hugged Trixie's leg. “Thank you, miss Trixie.”

“No problem. Now go on, I'm sure your mom is already waiting for you at home.”

Dinky nodded and ran away with the other kids in excitement. Trixie watched them leave with a smile on her face.

'Enough dreaming, I need to go. Mr. Rich is waiting for the rent,' she thought. 'After that I need to go to Cheerilee and visit the captain.'

An hour later Trixie was on her way to Cheerilee's house when she heard someone call out her name.

“Trixie, there you are.”

She turned around and saw Twilight running in her direction before she stopped in front of Trixie.

“Hey, Twilight. Is something wrong? You seem excited.”

Twilight was silent for a moment while she regained her breath before she smiled up at Trixie. “I received a letter from Cadence and Shining Armor. They ask all of us for help to welcome the inspector for the Equestria Games in the Crystal Empire.”

Trixie's eyes grew with every word Twilight said. “You mean...”

Twilight nodded. “We are going to the Crystal Empire!”

Trixie squeaked in excitement and danced in place. “I can't believe it! I will finally see the Crystal Empire! When will we go?”

“Next Week!”

Trixie stopped in place, her excitement slowly melting away. “Please tell me you are kidding...”

~*~

Sunday Afternoon, Ponyville Train Station

“Are you really sure, Trixie?”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Yes Twilight, I am sure. I promised the kids that I would watch over them this week and I'm not going back on that promise, even if it means not going to the Crystal Empire this time.”

“I'm sure they appreciate what you are doing for them, darling,” Rarity said.

“Yeah. They are all good kids, and I don't want to disappoint them.”

“Don't worry, Trixie. I will stay as well and help you during this week,” Spike proclaimed proudly.

“I sure hope so, I already payed you several gems after all for the cake you wanted to bake.”

Spike grinned sheepishly and the group laughed.

“Well, it's better than his first idea to get gems,” Twilight said. “I mean really, trying to watch over all of our pets all on your own, Spike? That screams chaos for Ponyville.”

“Especially with Angel,” Rainbow whispered into Trixie's ear who giggled.

“True,” Trixie agreed. “And we don't need more chaos after you released that fiend Discord. I still can't believe that the princess thought it would be a good idea to reform him. I expect every day that I wake up and my cottage is floating above the badlands.”

“Discord won't do something like this anymore,” Fluttershy said. “He has changed.”

“No offense, Fluttershy, but it's not easy to believe that that ruffian changed from one moment to another,” Rarity said. “But I must admit it's not impossible either. I think we should trust Princess Celestia's judgment upon this matter.”

At that moment they all heard the conductor call out. “All aboard! Last call for the Crystal Empire!”

“Well, I guess it's time for us.” Twilight said. Her friends nodded and they boarded the train. A moment later Twilight opened a window. “We have gone through everything, right Trixie?”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Yes, Twilight, you told me several times. Spikes stays with me so that he won't be lonely in the library and so that he won't loot your gem storage in the basement.” Spike besides her puffed out his cheeks and crossed his arms in front of his body. “You left the balcony door open so that Owlowiscious can fly out at night, I only need to close it on Tuesday when it's scheduled to rain in the afternoon. There is a sign outside of the library explaining why it's closed for this week, along with a box for returning books. We will take the books out of it every morning, put them back in their places in the library and dust the shelves so it won't be a mess when you come back on Friday. Princess Luna agreed to come around when my amulet needs to be recharged, we only need to send a letter to her when it's time.”

Twilight nodded after she was sure that everything on her mental checklist has been checked off. “Good, that should be everything.” The doors closed and the train slowly started moving out of the station. “We will be back soon, Spike, you will listen to what Trixie tells you.”

“Will do Twilight. Bye!” He winked along with Trixie as the train gained speed and slowly disappeared. When it was finally gone Trixie sighed and let her head sink down. Spike looked at Trixie and patted her on the shoulder. “You really wanted to go with them, huh?”

Trixie nodded. “Yes. I read so many stories about the empire that I always wanted to see it. When I heard that it truly exist and has returned it was like a dream coming true. I guess I have to wait a bit longer. I made a promise and I won't disappoint the kids.”

She looked at the dragon besides her. “Now come on, Spike. We have a lot to prepare for tomorrow afternoon.” Spike nodded in agreement and climbed on Trixie's back after the mare bent down for him.

Trixie turned and walked down the road. “Are you really going to dust the library every day?” Spike asked curious from her back.

Trixie laughed. “Do I look like Twilight? I think it will be enough if we clean up on Thursday, Twilight don't need to know. Right?”

They both laughed at that and walked into town.

~*~

It was Wednesday afternoon and Trixie was on the outskirts of Ponyville near the Whitetail Woods once again with Spike, nearly twenty kids and a group of five guards keeping watch over them. Their little practice sessions were a huge success in Trixie's eyes. The kids all behaved while they practiced their chosen acts for the talent show in groups and Trixie made sure, along with Spike, to treat every group equal with advises and support to not raise the claim of helping only one group.

Of course, that still means she has her personal favorites. Among these were Toola Roola and Coconut Cream, two fillies and best friends who were practicing for an athletics performance. In Trixie's opinion they were pretty good and stood good chances to win.

Not much of a big surprise was the act of the crusaders who were practicing a musical number. Spike had told her about their last try with a musical number and how they somehow messed everything up and still won a prize in the end. But it seems that this time they were on a good path to make it better.

Trixie smiled when she saw that once again the guards acted as a point as advise as well while doing their duty. When they all started their practice on Monday afternoon the guards did not much besides standing on the sidelines and watched out for problems. That changed after some of the fillies of one group approached two of the guards and asked them for help with something while Trixie and Spike were busy with another group at that time.

At first the guards were unsure if they were allowed to drift from their appointment by helping them, but with the help of the puppy dog eyes the fillies convinced them. After that the guards agreed that it would not harm to interact with the fillies and colts as long as they keep their eyes open for danger.

Thanks to this development Trixie now had six helpers by her side, which she was truly glad about. Watching over so many kids was more stressful than she thought. Sure, she watched over more during school-time, but then they were mostly quietly sitting at their seats and not running around. Only now did she truly learn to appreciate that.

As she looked around trying to decide to which group she should go now she couldn't resist thinking about Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon who luckily decided not to participate in the talent show and thus in their practice sessions. She was pretty sure that these two would not try to cause trouble while the guards are around and watching, but just their presence might have been enough to make the others feel unease and distract from their own performances.

Trixie looked at the position of the sun and was surprised to see that it already was much later than she expected. In fact, it was already time to finish for the day. It would be maybe one hour until the sun starts to set and the moon to rise, and she has to make sure that all the kids got back home by that time.

Trixie lighted her horn and shot one of her firework spells in the sky to get the attention of the colts and fillies. “Alright everypony, as much fun as it has been it's time to clean up for today! I can already see some of your parents on their way picking you up!”

True to her words several ponies where walking up the meadow to them. They had agreed upon that most parents would pick up their children themselves to make it easier on Trixie. She could think of funnier thinks than navigating through town with twenty fillies and colts by her side. Soon everywhere she looked the kids were cleaning up and collecting there things for the evening. Not long after that most children have been picked up by their parents or family members, leaving Trixie behind only with Sweetie Belle who she would bring home herself.

“Another successful day without any problems, hmm?”

Trixie turned to see the lieutenant of the guards, a gray coated unicorn with a brown mane named Shield Break, walk up to her and she smiled at him. “It seems so, lieutenant. But with your kind of work, boredom is good after all, right?”

He laughed. “True, even if I like some excitement from time to time. Otherwise, we guards grow weak.”

“Also true.”

At that moment a loud howl penetrated the air from the direction of the part of the woods closest to the Everfree Forest.

“It seems you will get your excitement today after all,” Trixie said with uneasiness in her voice and a concerned frown on her face. “That are timberwolves.”

Trixie did not receive an answer as Shield Break was already on his way and balked orders to his guards. Trixie quickly ran to Spike and Sweetie Belle who was hunched up to the ground, shaking in fear. It seems their encounter months ago has left invisible scars on the little filly.

“Sweetie, are you alright?” Upon not receiving an answer of the heavily breathing filly besides a frightened stare she moved closer to her and lowered her back. “Come on, Sweetie, I will carry you.” Sweetie finally nodded and climbed on the offered back.

Just as they started walking again they heard another howl from behind them, along with the sound of breaking and rustling branches. Trixie turned and prepared herself in case that even with the guard she would need to react. The guards were already aligned and prepared as well to fight against anything that could come out of the forest to make sure nopony would get hurt.

Suddenly a small pack of four timberwolves emerged from the forest in full run. The guards stood their ground, prepared to fight for their charges safety, but to their surprise the timberwolves did not care about them. They did see the ponies, but changed directions immediately without stopping and disappeared into the Whitetail Woods.

Trixie relaxed and watched as the guards did so as well and slowly retreated back to them, their eyes all the time at the forest in case of an ambush. Even Sweetie Belle calmed down enough after seeing the timberwolves run away to jump down from Trixie's back.

“That was strange,” Shield Break said as he reached and addressed Trixie. “I have never seen a timberwolf running away like that. It looked like they were terrified of something.”

“But... what in the name of Celestia could scare several timberwolves enough to run with their tails between their legs?” one of the other guards asked.

Just as Shield wanted to say something there was another noise from the Everfree and as the group looked over they saw several huge trees falling in the distance, followed by a horrible roar.

“What was THAT?” one guard exclaimed after a moment of silence.

“No... please, no...”

Every eye fell on Trixie after she spoke. Her eyes were wide open and her irises as small as pinpricks. This time it was her with a horrified look on her face.

“What do you mean, miss Trixie? Do you know what that was?” Shield Break asked in concern.

“We need to run! We must warn the town!”

Spike stepped up and held her face in his claws. “Trixie, calm down! You don't need to panic!”

After Spike snapped her out of her panic she calmed down slightly, but was still breathing hard much like Sweetie Belle did minutes before.

“Please, miss Trixie. If you know what that was, tell us,” Shield said.

She looked at him in fright. “It's the Ursa Minor.”

Another roar echoed through the air, much louder than before.

“And it's getting closer. It's coming to Ponyville...”

Author's Note:

Would you look at that, another new chapter. I did not forgot it this time. :rainbowlaugh:

An old friends comes for a visit, even if its a bit cliche for a Trixie story, but I think for my first story its okay to rely on it. We are also getting closer to the end, there won't be so much left till it is finished.

I also added now the 'Alternate Universe' tag with the different turn for the 'Spike at your service' episode. Could have done so sooner, but till now it could have been still canon (not counting Trixie's return in S6, nearly forgot that)