• Published 30th Oct 2015
  • 1,875 Views, 34 Comments

Big Mac Goes A-Courtin' - Nuttmeg

  • ...
2
 34
 1,875

Chapter 4

After the dinner dishes had been cleared from the table Marble brought out a large tool box and set it down on the table with a thud. Limestone gave a loud guffaw.

“Showing off, huh, kid?” she laughed. Marble huffed in annoyance, blowing her bangs away from her face with a puff of air before ducking her head and letting them fall back down. Limestone tousled her mane with her hoof and went into the kitchen, still chuckling. Big Mac could see Marble blushing, but with apparent determination, she opened the tool box and began pulling out beakers and bottles full of strangely-colored liquids and brushes and small picks that looked like dentist's tools. With somewhat cautious curiosity, Big Mac sat down to watch.

After a few minutes spent arranging her tools to her liking, Marble left the room for a moment and returned with several ordinary-looking gray rocks about the size of her hoof. She set them on the table to one side and then selected the biggest one and picked up a brush. Dipping the rock in a bowl filled with water, she set to brushing it vigorously. Every so often she would dip it back in the water or turn it in her hoof, studying it carefully. Eventually she seemed satisfied and set it aside, picking up the next rock and giving it the same treatment. To Big Mac, the rocks seemed no different. They had not been particularly dirty before, and they remained the same gray shade they had always been. But her movements were so sure and deft it was obvious he was watching a master at her craft. Whatever craft that was.

After all the rocks had been satisfactorily cleaned, she carefully poured a beaker full of a sickly-green liquid into another bowl and used tongs to gently place each rock inside so that none of them were touching. After a few seconds the liquid began to fizz, tiny bubbles building up on the surface of the rocks. When the bubbles grew large enough to disengage and rise to the top, they took tiny flakes of the gray rock with them, slowly revealing their secret: underneath the dull, gray outer coating, they shone a brilliant crystalline white.

When most of the outer coating had been removed, Marble used the tongs to lift them out of the acid and placed them in a container of water to which she added something that looked like powdered soap or lye. Using a small stick she stirred the mixture until it was frothy, and then removed the rocks with the tongs and placed them back in the clear water. She rinsed them until they were clean, and then laid them on a cloth to dry, where they sparkled in the lamp light.

Big Mac didn't know a thing about rocks, and he knew very little about jewels. But he knew skill when he saw it.

“That was amazin',” he said, and he was not above admitting to himself that knowing the compliment would make her blush was part of the reason he'd said it. She blushed very prettily.

That was her special talent.”

Limestone's voice preceded her from the kitchen. She came out a moment later, carrying a tray of small tarts, clearly containing rocks. Big Mac could hardly wait until his presence was less of a novelty and therefore did not demand special occasion food.

“Or part of it anyway,” she added, setting the tray down on the table and helping herself to a tart. “She polishes rocks.”

Marble refused to meet Big Mac's eyes as her sister spoke, but he had some idea of how to read silences, and he felt honored to be someone she wanted to share her special talent with. He smiled at her, tilting his head to be more in her field of vision. When she caught sight of him she gave him a little smile in return, and fidgeted with some of her tools. The silence stretched, and Limestone sighed.

“Here, Apple,” she said, shoving the tray towards him. “Marble, just talk to him already”

Marble's shoulders tightened, and she seemed to shrink in on herself. Big Mac gave Limestone a brief glare. He himself was not, despite what most ponies probably thought, particularly shy. But he did understand the desire for a certain amount of discretion and reserve, and being called out was not something he enjoyed either. He took a tart and then offered the tray to Marble, who gave an unhappy squeak and ran out of the room. Big Mac frowned after her, and then turned a baleful gaze on Limestone.

“What'd you do that for?” he demanded softly. She scowled deeply at him.

“Me?” she spat. “You're the one making her nervous.”

“I know that. Why did you have to go and point it out?”

“I was trying to do you a favor!” she shouted. “Guess I learned my lesson.”

“I don't need that kind of help.”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

Limestone slammed back her chair and stomped out of the room. With a growl of frustration Big Mac also left the table and went outside, walking angrily towards the silo. The only pony he could ever remember getting this angry at was Applejack, and he supposed wryly that if he related to Limestone the same way he related to his sister, well, that was sort of the goal, wasn't it? He reached the silo and sighed, anger spent.

It wasn't as if he didn't know Marble was shy, though he supposed the word shy didn't really cover it. It wasn't something he'd thought would be a problem. She was quiet, he was quiet. From the outside it seemed like a match made in heaven. But while Big Mac was simply a pony of few words, strong and silent and happy with it, Marble seemed like she was afraid: afraid of drawing attention to herself, afraid of being heard. He wanted her to not be afraid. He wanted to know her, and for her to know him. And he thought she wanted the same thing.

He shook himself, remembering that he was staring blankly at the silo door like a fool. He went inside and went to bed, trying to reassure himself. It was only the first day. He had the whole season. Limestone wouldn't be there all the time. He and Marble would have chances to get to know each other on their terms. Everything would be all right.

Big Mac fell asleep with a peaceful smile on his face.

Marble wouldn't look at him at breakfast, and in fact had to be coaxed and cajoled into sitting at the table at all. She ate quickly and then left, giving Big Mac one, tiny, almost despairing glance as she shut the door behind her. Igneous frowned thoughtfully after his daughter, but Cloudy did not seem surprised. She gave Big Mac extra oats and smiled at him sadly.

Limestone didn't say a word to him all day. She worked a hard pace, and gave him only ten minutes to eat his lunch before they were back out at the mine. The lunch table was Marble-less, and she was nowhere to be found for dinner either. Igneous went out searching for her, and came back alone wearing a deep frown.

Big Mac set down his calcite casserole, studying Igneous for any sign of Marble's condition. Igneous just sat down and sighed, glancing worriedly at Big Mac before stoically starting in on his dinner.

Thinking furiously, Big Mac deduced two things: one, that Marble was physically fine but refusing to come to dinner, and two, that the Pie family was worried about what he was going to think about the object of his suit effectively running away from him and were trying not to draw attention to it. The first was simultaneously a relief and a source of worry, but the second, well. Putting himself in their hooves, it was easy to understand their feelings. They didn't know him, didn't know how he might react to the appearance of rejection, and doubtless did not know what to do about a daughter as determinedly shy as Marble was. And yet, there was another part of Big Mac that felt they were being a little disingenuous. He wasn't going to be deterred that easily, and if they thought he was then why in the hay were they letting him pursue their shy, delicate, beautiful daughter in the first place?

Big Mac took a steadying breath and stood up.

“Where is she?” he asked calmly of Igneous. Igneous looked at him in surprise. “I want to talk to her.”

Slowly, after a few moments, Igneous nodded.

“Thou wilt find her in the south field,” he said. Big Mac nodded his thanks and walked to the door, ignoring Limestone's objections behind him, which he could faintly hear Igneous and Cloudy responding to as he shut the front door. He stopped in at the silo for a few things, and then plodded slowly to the south field, his brain chewing on thoughts like cud. Eventually he saw a small huddled shape, sitting under a withered tree, and he slowed his pace even further as he approached.

Big Mac knew perfectly well how physically intimidating he could appear. His general affability helped to offset his sheer stature, but he'd learned to take steps to minimize the effect he had on other ponies. When Marble noticed him he paused, giving her a friendly nod. Then he continued walking, not quite directly towards her, ignoring her nervous stance and twitchy hooves. He hoped she wouldn't actually run away. When he was still a little ways away, close but out of arm's reach, he stopped and sat down. She was still regarding him with near terror, so without making eye contact Big Mac took out the small block of wood and knife he had grabbed from the silo and began to whittle.

At first, as he could see at the edge of his vision, she was only confused, but as the block of wood began to take shape, her expression took on more and more curiosity. When the wood was to his liking he found a stick lying on the ground and began straightening it with the knife. Once that was done he carved a small hole on the underside of the first piece of wood and wedged the end of the stick inside snugly. Putting the knife away he took the propeller toy in his front hooves and spun it, letting the toy leap out of his grip and float through the air. It came to rest near Marble, who had been watching it with open-mouthed wonder as it flew.

Haltingly, she stepped toward the toy and picked up it. With a glance at him to gain his permission (which he gave enthusiastically), she took the toy between her own front hooves and spun it. Again it leaped into the air, not quite as high, and made lazy circles around her at it descended. She gave an involuntary laugh of delight. Big Mac smiled to hear it.

Marble stopped, staring at the ground in thought, and then took a few steps toward him and planted her feet.

“I...” she began, and took a deep breath, squeezing her eyes shut. “I polish rocks. Any kind of rock. Even ones you're not supposed to be able to polish. I can make them all shine. I... it's my special talent,” she finished with a mumble, hiding behind her hair again.

They were the first words she had ever spoken to him. Her voice was soft and melodic, as sweet as her singing. Big Mac scrambled to his feet.

“My special talent is to make apples grow,” he told her eagerly in return.

“I've... never eaten an apple,” Marble told him in a whisper. A small portion of Big Mac wept.

“I'll have my sister send some,” he promised. Marble pawed at the ground.

“I...” She looked up at him, and closed her mouth. Then she took a deep breath and opened it again. “You're nice.”

Big Mac could feel the blush growing on his cheeks. He kicked at the ground in embarrassment. It was probably the nicest compliment he had ever received, and he had no idea how to respond gracefully. He spotted the propeller toy on the ground and gestured at it.

“That's yours,” he said. “You can keep it.”

She blushed in return, picking up the toy and holding it in front of her, spinning it slowly.

“Thank you,” she whispered. Beaming, Big Mac turned toward the house.

“You must be hungry,” he said, gesturing for her to proceed him. She hesitated, looking at him for a long moment, and then ducked her head in a nod.

“Mm-hm,” she said, taking the first steps toward the house. Big Mac followed close behind, feelings of happy gratitude welling up in his heart and making him feel warm in the chill night air. He didn't quite dare brush his side against hers, but the thought that someday they might be close enough for him to do that made him grin like he was full of apple cider and not just sheer joy.

Comments ( 7 )

So, um, that's an ending.

I mean, it's a complete lack of one, but it says complete, so I guess it's an ending.

One of the best stories I have ever read!

It can't end like this... Mange the will be a sequel:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkicrazy::pinkiecrazy:

Excuse me while I go melt over there.

This is complete? Aww, that's sad. I feel like there's so much more for it, he's still got some trials and tribulations to overcome. He's still courting her, they have so much more to tell.

But I did enjoy this, and I'm glad you updated. I hope you write more in the future.

Mac went a courting and he did ride, a sword and a pistol by his side.

:eeyup: Big Mac went a-courtin', he did ride, Eeyup! Eeyup! :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment