• Published 30th Oct 2015
  • 1,874 Views, 34 Comments

Big Mac Goes A-Courtin' - Nuttmeg

  • ...
2
 34
 1,874

Chapter 1

Big Macintosh woke up, stared at the ceiling above his bed for a few minutes, and then decided it was time. He got out of bed, ran a comb through his mane and tail, placed a few necessary items in a handkerchief which he tied around a stick, and walked slowly downstairs to where his family was gathered around the breakfast table.

Granny Smith took one look at her grandson and smiled, a bit sadly, but with warmth.

“So,” she said, as he sat down at the table, “you're finally goin' courtin', are ye?”

Big Mac ducked his head bashfully.

“Eeyup,” he affirmed softly. Apple Bloom gasped.

“Is it Marble?” she demanded. “It's gotta be her! You two were always together at Hearthswarming.”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac said, smiling at his oatmeal.

“Well, I'm happy for you, you sly stallion,” Applejack teased. “Now me an' Pinkie Pie'll definitely be related.”

Big Mac scoffed, embarrassed, and dug into his breakfast, not meeting anypony's eyes.

“Applejack!” Granny Smith scolded. “It's bad luck to act too cocksure about a courtin', especially when he ain't even half started.”

“Yeah, Applejack,” Apple Bloom piped up, “don't jinx him. I like Marble. I'd love to have her as a sister.”

Applejack chuckled while Big Mac smiled broadly.

“Well, shucks, so would I, sugarcube. In fact, to make up for any bad luck I may have brought on you, Big Mac, I'll point out that you've only met her in person once and our families... didn't exactly get along right off the bat. She might not even say yes.”

Big Mac gave a great hacking cough as about half his bowl of oatmeal went down the wrong pipe.

“But of course she'll—” Apple Bloom began, but then caught herself. “...I mean, if things don't work out with you and her, maybe Miss Cheerilee will take you.”

Big Mac's ears pinned themselves along his skull. Applejack laughed.

“Don't you fret now, big brother. You just get along over to the Pie farm and show her what you're made of. She'd have to be blind not to accept you.”

Big Mac shook himself, and went back to his breakfast. Halfway through his alfalfa he remembered something and raised his head.

“Um...?” Big Mac inquired of Granny.

“Oh, yes, of course!” she exclaimed. “Your letter. I'll go and write it this instant. The next train out thattaway is due in an hour and we don't want you to miss it.”

“How long are you going to be gone, Big Mac?” Apple Bloom wanted to know. Granny Smith tottered out of the room, muttering to herself about where she'd put her quill and parchment. “I want you to write me every day. No, wait, you'll be busy wooin' Marble. Write only if you have time. Oh, but I'll want to know how everything's going. Maybe—”

“I'm sure Big Mac'll write as often as he can, sugarcube,” Applejack said fondly, ruffling her little sister's hair. She pouted slightly as she straightened it.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac promised. Apple Bloom's pout turned to a grin as Granny Smith came back into the room, holding a sealed letter delicately in her mouth. She passed it to her grandson, who tucked it away in his pack.

“Well, I suppose that's everythin',” she said, and then sniffed, dabbing at her eyes with her apron. “I never thought I'd live long enough to see this day. You be good and work hard out there, y'hear?”

“Eeyup.” It was hardly a promise. One didn't need to promise that the sun would rise.

“Let's all go see Big Mac off at the station!” Apple Bloom shouted, bouncing out of her seat.

“Sorry, sugarcube, that's not the way it works,” Applejack told her. “We can go as far as the gate to the farm, but he's got to go the rest of the way himself. It's tradition.”

“Oh.” Apple Bloom drooped. Big Mac took her in his arms and gave her a firm squeeze.

“I'm sure gonna miss you, little sister,” he murmured. She squeezed him back with all her might, and then let go, standing next to Applejack and trying bravely to keep the tears down. It was more grown up than Big Mac had ever seen her, and he hugged Applejack a little harder than he meant to to keep his own tears in check.

He was more careful with Granny Smith, and then he stepped back, gave them all a nod, and plodded purposefully out the door, using all his strength not to look back.

As the train rolled away from the stone building, Big Mac allowed himself one tiny moment of nerves, stamping his right back hoof hard on the ground several times. Then he shook himself, squared his shoulders, and began the short walk to the Pie family farm.

The rock farm was much more plain in late spring than it had been in winter. The snow of Hearthswarming had softened it somewhat, and the glow of the crystals and the Hearthswarming lights had made it seem almost cozy. Now it was just a severe, unmitigated gray with sharp edges everywhere, not a blade of grass in sight, much less a tree. Undeterred, though a bit more nervous, Big Mac made his way down the path to the Pie family home and knocked on the door.

After several moments spent sweating, the door finally opened a crack and Cloudy Quartz's pale face came into view. When she saw Big Mac she opened the door all the way and gave him a nod.

“Big Macintosh,” she greeted, stepping aside to allow him entrance. “Verily, it is good to see thee again. Come and sit, and partake of some pebbles as I prepare the midday meal. Igneous shall be in shortly.”

She set out a bowl of little round stones for him, and Big Mac braced himself. He was not about to be rude, and it wasn't as though he hadn't been expecting this. Maybe pebbles were easier to chew than full rocks. Besides, Marble ate this sort of thing every day. He could hardly do any less. Taking a small hoofful of rocks, he popped them in his mouth and began to chew. Oh, horseapples. These were even harder than the rocks at Hearthswarming had been. After a solid minute of chewing he'd made hardly any headway. Was he supposed to suck on them? Their flavor was slightly sweet, somehow, but not sweet enough to register as candy. Then again, the Pies as a whole did not seem like the type to indulge in sweets very often, Pinkamena notwithstanding.

The door opened, revealing Igneous Rock, and Big Mac gave up and swallowed the pebbles whole, gagging silently. Igneous walked over and offered his hoof for Big Mac to shake, which he did, willing himself not to choke.

“It is well to see thee,” Igneous Rock said, as behind him Limestone came through the door, followed by Marble. At the sight of her Big Mac felt a jolt, like his heart was an apple and someone was trying to buck it off the tree. “For what purpose hast thou journeyed to this our humble home?”

Big Mac reached into his pack and took out the letter Granny Smith had written him. He passed it to Igneous, who opened it and began to read. Marble, meanwhile, was staring at him bashfully, and he gave her a tiny but heartfelt grin before turning back to Igneous, whose permanent frown seemed to grow deeper the longer he read. When he finally finished he placed the letter on the table and sat down.

“Sit,” he said to Big Mac, who did so. Limestone picked up the letter and began to read it, her eyes darting back and forth rapidly. “So,” Igneous intoned, looking at Big Mac dourly, “thou wishest to pay court to my daughter.”

“What!” Limestone growled as she apparently got to that point in the letter. She glared deeply at Big Mac. Marble, on the other hand, blushed so hard that surely it hurt, gave a squeak, and ran out of the room. Big Mac hoped that was just nerves. “What makes you think you're good enough for my sister, huh?”

“Silence, Limestone,” Igneous commanded.

“But, Father—”

“Thou mayest be head of this rock farm, but thou art not head of this family. Sit down.”

Growling, Limestone sat with a thud. Cloudy Quartz stood behind her husband, looking a bit less severe, but also a bit troubled. If he was being honest with himself, Big Mac had to admit he'd expected things to go a bit more in his favor than they seemed to be going. That was no matter, though. Marble was worth any amount of trouble. He kept himself as straight as he could and looked steadily at Igneous Rock, who seemed to be studying him.

“Verily, thy interest in Marble hath not escaped our notice. That Pinkamena values thee and thy kin is surely a mark in thy favor, as is the offer contained herein.” Igneous gestured to the letter, still in Limestone's grasp. “Therefore, according to the terms laid out by Granny Smith, we shall hire thee for a term of one season, at which time thy suit shall be formally considered.”

“Father!” Limestone shouted, almost drowning out the lightness growing in Big Mac's chest. “We don't need any help!”

“Thou knowest that we do,” Igneous Rock said, frowning even deeper. “Thou hast been ever on the lookout for hired help.”

“Marble's too young to get married!”

“I wast younger than she when I was wed to thy father,” Cloudy Quartz pointed out softly.

“He doesn't even like rocks!” Limestone argued, but it was clear even to Big Mac that it was a last-ditch effort.

“That ist not a requirement, daughter,” Igneous Rock said gently. Limestone groaned, and then thrust a hoof at Big Mac.

“Tell me this then, Apple,” she said menacingly, “what do you have to offer my sister? An apple orchard? How is that going to keep a roof over her head? A rock farm isn't bound by the seasons. You can't even harvest anything more than once a year!”

Igneous did nothing to stem his daughter's accusations, and in fact looked at Big Mac thoughtfully without saying anything, as though he too desired an answer to that question. Big Mac cleared his throat.

“We've got more'n just apples. We also grow corn, potatoes, wheat, carrots, and squash, and we sell pastries, cider and zap apple jam. We also rent out land for local events. Last year we took in 400,000 bits for a 50,000 bit net profit, and this year we expect to do even better. Our net worth is 1.2 million bits. And I've got a one-third share in all of it, held in trust by Granny Smith Apple to be inherited upon her death.”

He really didn't like to be a braggart, and he certainly didn't think those numbers made him anypony special. But it did give him a small feeling of satisfaction to see Limestone's scowl morph into shock, and then into grudging respect.

“I guess that's okay,” she said with apparent reluctance. Igneous Rock adjusted his glasses, which had gone askew in surprise.

“Verily, the Apple family hath done well for itself,” he muttered, and then turned to Limestone, raising an eyebrow slightly. “Hast thou any more objections, daughter?”

“Yeah, one,” Limestone growled. “He can't sleep in the house while he's here.”

Igneous hmm'd. Big Mac had wondered about that. The bunk beds they'd stayed in for Hearthswarming were usually reserved for the Pie sisters, but they had been gracious enough to give them up and all pile into the guest bed. However, as a stallion courting a mare, he could hardly sleep in the same house as her.

“Thou shalt sleep in the silo,” Igneous declared, and that was fine with Big Mac. It was apparently also fine with Limestone, but only just. “Now only one thing remains.”

Cloudy Quartz went to the bottom of the stairs and called for Marble, who shuffled slowly down, eyes darting briefly to Big Mac before ducking her head to hide behind her hair entirely. She came to a rest beside her father, staring at the floor with bright red cheeks, and Big Mac knew he'd never seen a sight more lovely.

“Marble, this young stallion doth wish to court you. What say ye?”

Marble glanced at her father, glanced at Limestone and her mother, and then finally made eye contact with Big Mac. Her little smile broadened, and her blush, still bright, softened to a pink glow of happiness. Big Mac couldn't have kept from returning that smile even if his life had depended on it. Marble took in a deep breath, let it out, and nodded.

“Mmm-hm!”