• Published 29th May 2012
  • 12,385 Views, 500 Comments

The Night smells of Lavender - Dark0592

  • ...
83
 500
 12,385

C.6 Origins of the Alicorn

(A/N Finally i got around to writing this one. i sat down for an hour and a half and pumped this out finally. this chapter was thought up completely on the spot, and i must say I am proud of it. this chapter probably defines exactly what Lore is. this story is now technically complete, the end is there for a reason. you didn't miss anything though don't worry, since this story was focusing on Twilight and Luna mostly there are a series of minor-major storylines involved. the ending will be explained- as well as the deal with the changelings- in the first of these sidestories. I am going to let all of you decide what will be done as side stories. there will in fact be an epilogue after the Changeling sidestory so look forward to that. Until Then, farewell my friends. -Dark)

“I really wish those guards would have dropped us off in a less public area of the palace...” Twilight muttered when the chariot landed in the middle of a not quite packed, but busy, courtyard. Everypony was staring at them. Or, more specifically, her.

“Before you even think of questions we have no answers yet. We will publicly address anything when we know what's happening.” Luna announced and quickly whisked the group into the palace before the crowd had a chance to react. As they entered the throne room they found Celestia speaking to Chrysalis.

“Good. You're here. Chrysalis, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave for now. We will speak again soon.” Celestia said.

“Of course, I will do what you suggested. Thank you.” the Changeling Queen replied and left.

“What did you suggest?” Luna asked.

“That she begins reading friendship reports to get started with, don't worry Twilight I have the embarrassing ones locked away. My, you are a very beautiful Alicorn.” Celestia said with a smile.

“um...Thanks?...I really want to know exactly what is going on...” Twilight said.

“It is exactly as it seems. There is something...well, many things, that need to be explained...but I don't understand half of it.” Celestia said.

“But we do.” a familiar regal voice said as the room morphed to look like space. The six that hadn't experienced this before freaked out for a moment.

“It is good to see you again Twilight Sparkle. I am afraid we never revealed our names. I am Blazing Light.” Celestia's Mother said.

“And I Calm Night.” the father said.

“Our time is limited but not quite so short, this will take a long time to explain. We must ask to keep all questions unless they are very important.” Light continued. Shocked by the sudden appearance, the group nodded.

“Good. Back in our Reign, there was no moon and the sun was dull and dying. the planet was just starting out, but the galaxy was old. Back then there was no atmosphere and Alicorns, while small in numbers, were the only living things. Without the atmosphere the planet was at risk. Anything floating around in space would constantly impact the planet, often disrupting our lives quite violently.” Light began explaining. They were all startled and surprised as the universe around them began to change with the tale, illustrating the events as if they were there to see them.

“I focused all of my power into stopping these rocks before they harmed the planet. I could not bring them to the planet for fear of causing more damage with my at the time low amounts of power and I could not cast them out to damage another planet. So over the course of that particular duty I amassed them at a safe distance. Still within the gravitational pull, yet not far enough to risk impacting again. Back then, the moon was what could be considered a small asteroid belt.” Night explained.

“What about the atmosphere?” Spike asked, deeming that question as an important one. It was.

“Good question, but that comes later in this tale. Now, our planet was cold and dull. We were the only life and we didn't like it. I saw the sun every day. I noticed how it faintly gave off light and the slightest warmth. My power went into reviving it.” Light answered.

“There were more of us with different focuses on their time and power. When the warmth and light came, the two of us created day and night. With it came an idea from a friend. She was known as Flora. She wanted what are now plants. This was impossible though, for they kept dieing without an atmosphere. Flora's partner, Atmosphere- in which it was named from- sought to make his lover's focus possible. He took the oxygen and all of the other elements needed and created a stable atmosphere.” Night continued.

“Fauna, Flora's sister, saw her sister's life and wanted to create her own. But she wanted life she could interact with. She created small critters, but they soon died out of thirst- as did her sister's plants. Seeing this, Aqua- a stallion- quenched their thirst with a small pond of clean water.” Light explained.

“A small pond for the entire planet?” Dash asked.

“I apologize, no. only a small portion, about the size as this city, was under the influence of our tampering. At least the locally-based parts.” Light answered.

“Harmony, a Mare that was a very close friend of ours, was not satisfied with the animals. She wanted something to speak to. She tried to create talking plants and talking animals. This frustrated her when it did not work. She realized that they were not originally created to speak, so she created a new race of creatures in her image. Our little spot became a small settlement of earth ponies.” Night continued.

“The Earth ponies became unhappy. They loved their rulers, but grew jealous of their magic and wings. And so the Pony race was split into the three races of those content to be on the ground, those who wanted nothing more to take to the skies and finally, those who wished to study under us in the ways of magic. Earth Pony, Pegasi and Unicorns were born.” Light went on.

“Our little settlement soon became cramped. Our powers slowly grew over time. The asteroid belt that was later the moon now nearly formed a shell around the planet. The sun now glowed nearly as bright as it normally did. There were layers to the atmosphere. Lakes had joined our small pond. Trees and fruits joined mammals and insects and reptiles as the world flourished.” Night picked up.

“Obviously the settlement needed to expand. We all chipped in. soon the entire 'continent' was inhabited. Fauna grew jealous of Harmony's talking ponies, but collaborated with her. They created other sentient races, starting with the dragons. Then came griffins and other intelligent species.” Night continued.

“I'm sorry, while I am reveling in the most history I've ever seen, how is this relevant?” Twilight asked, clearly angry at herself for stopped such an amazing tale.

“It is now your history as well as ours. It is teaching you about the powers of Alicorns yes?” Night said. Twilight nodded and waited happily for them to continue.

“Earth ponies took charge with assisting Flora and Fauna, the Pegasi assisted Atmosphere and Aqua to create weather- in which the right to oversee was given to said Pegasi- while the Unicorns assisted the rest of us.” Light started.

“An Alicorn is not truly immortal. Their magic sustains their life almost indefinitely. While they do not have a life span they can lose their lives to illness and injury just like any other creature...their magic just counters the damage in most occasions.” she continued.

“Harmony was the first to go. She grew guilty of her creations' mortality and decided to join them. She lived the rest of her life as a winged unicorn, an Alicorn with no overly important power and only above average magical ability, and died three hundred years after her decision. She never regretted it. You would recognize her power, when the life left her body it condensed and became what you know as the elements of harmony.” Night explained.

“Something amazing happened then. When she died, her creation blossomed. They expanded, flourished, rejoiced, grieved. They gained complete sentience.” Light began.

“Flora never really died, but gave her life. When the life left her body the plants of the planet grew. They sprouted new fruits and flowers and completely different plants. What was once great land masses spotted with green became forest upon forest. Fauna went at the same time for the same reason. What was once small critters and insects became large beasts and creatures.” she continued.

“Atmosphere and Aqua were devastated by the drop in our numbers and chose to join them...the atmosphere strengthened, obliterating anything meaning harm to the planet before it reached it's surface. Oceans formed. Sea creatures were now more than tiny little critters. Our numbers continued to shorten, until it was just us two...we would lead our little ponies into indefinite times of peace as long as we could...but then a monster, born from the twisting of our own sadness, was created...Disharmony, or Discord as you know him.” Night went on.

“We had just had you then...” Light started, looking at Celestia and Luna. “and we wanted you safe...we gave our lives to stop this creature of disharmony...with the sun strengthened I was able to create the palace of the pony sisters and surround it in a protective forest.” she continued.

“the shell around the earth was no longer needed...with the power I gave the moon, it formed what it is now...and with the last of my life I halted Discord as best I could by moving the oceans to disrupt him.” Night picked up.

“Luna and Celestia were left in the protected palace...the forest not only protected them, but kept them in until they were ready. They took control of the moon and sun and with their power unlocked the elements of harmony which, by now, had been strengthened by the spirits of the Alicorns. They used it to defeat Discord and bring Equestria to peace again. The rest you know as history.” Light finished.

“So...I've inherited the spirit and power of Harmony?” Twilight asked.

“No...you've inherited the power and spirit of us all. The world doesn't need you to survive any longer...instead Harmony needs the world. It takes form in you my Child.” Night answered.

“W-what?” Twilight asked. The others were silent.

“I am afraid our power is slipping. We will not be able to speak to any of you like this or some time...but we will be watching over all. Be safe.” Light said as they began to fade out of existence. Shocked by such a tale, such a revelation and by the suddenness of the departure, the group was stunned to silence.

“W-wait...if...if yuh gotta take on all them r-responsibilities...then...then what about us?” Applejack asked.

“Y-yeah! I don't care w-what they said...you're n-not leaving us!” Dash said, obviously trying- and failing- to stop the tears beginning to run down her face. Pinkie was less successful.

“T-Twilight you can't leave us! You can't!” she exclaimed, clamping onto the much taller Mare as the room returned to it's original state.

“P-p-pl-lease d-don't l-leave u-us...” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Darling...you...you just can't...” Rarity sniffed.

“Twilight...we...I don't want to leave...” Spike sobbed.

Twilight, tears now flowing down her face like mad, was surprised by a soft nuzzle.

“It is your Choice Twilight...they said the world doesn't need your power to survive...” Luna's voice said softly into her ear.

“Your power wants you to live your life, to do what it cannot by itself.” Celestia said, nuzzling her as well.

“No matte what you choose, I will follow.” Luna whispered into her ear.

“If...if it really is my choice...then I'm not g-going anywhere!” Twilight exclaimed through her tears and launched herself at the others in a huge group hug.

“I've never had much of a problem handling the royal duties alone. It was raising the moon that was difficult. You can do that from anywhere though, can't you?” Celestia said to Luna, giving her a sideways look and a grin.

“Oh thank you Tia!” Luna said, hugging her sister quickly and joining her friends.

“Oh Luna...” Celestia said to herself with a giggle. “Well I am afraid that was much longer than you all thought...it is nearly midnight and I am quite tired...I had rooms prepared for you, any guard will show you to them.” she continued. The announcement of what was happening would have to wait a day or two.
---
Celestia returned to her room to find a scene that brought a grin to her face. Chrysalis was sleeping face down on her desk with letters scattered all over the place. She giggled as she used her magic to clean the area up. She then lifted the sleeping queen with her magic and placed her gently on the bed. The blue-haired Mare grumbled in her sleep and rolled over a bit. This earned another giggle from the Celestial Goddess.

“It's been so very long Chrysalis...so long...” Celestia said to herself.

“It has...but that doesn't matter now...come and sleep Love...” Chrysalis replied without opening her eyes.

“Must you even ask?” Celestia said, earning a grin on the Mare's face as she joined her.

“Good night Love...” Chrysalis mumbled.

“And you, Love.” Celestia replied.