• Published 29th May 2012
  • 7,683 Views, 408 Comments

Double the Bass - Blacktastic

  • ...
11
 408
 7,683

Chapter 20

I had begun work on my track for the wedding and it was to be quite possibly one of the best records I've ever mixed. All I had to do was guard the record with my life, made more difficult by the fact that. The Minicons and their friends found their way into my workshop, claiming they were looking for their special talents, and began to unintentionally wreck the place.

"Don't touch that!"

"What's this button do?" an orange pegasus said as she began hitting buttons on my round tables while her two friends where messing with my headphones. I snatched them away from it with my magic when I heard a crash behind me and saw that a Rumble and Frenzy had knocked over a rack of my favorite records.

"My records!"

"Don't worry we'll fix it." the five of them gathered side by side and shouted at the top of their lungs "CUITIE MARK CRUSADER RECORD FIXERS!"

"NO!" I shouted back as I picked them all up with my magic and forced them out of my house "You three, I'm telling your parents what you did" I said glaring at the three little fillies, my gaze shifted to the Minicons "And you two are gonna spend the whole night fixing everything in my workshop, got it!" they all looked down.

"Sorry Miss Scratch..." the Crusaders said in unison.

"Shove it in your exhaust." Rumble said making Frenzy laugh and making me lose my last nerve. I was about to chew them out when I was interrupted by Soundwave.

"You two!" he said with an agitated tone making their faces go pale.

"Oh scrap." Rumble said as he started backing away, he turned towards Frenzy "Run fo-" he stopped himself short when he saw that Frenzy was already halfway down the road, leaving him at the mercy of Soundwave. Before Soundwave could bring his wrath down I interrupted him. "Alright calm down...I'm gonna take these three home while you take care of your own."

He nodded as he grabbed Rumble by his ear as he dragged him down the road after Frenzy.

-------

After dragging each filly home and telling their guardians, in this case, what they've done I went back to my workshop only to find the place cleaned up, and all my records miraculously fixed and even alphabetized. As I stood there with my mouth agape Soundwave walked behind me.

"I took the liberty of restoring your workshop and organizing it according to your alphabet."

"I dunno what to say...how is probably the best thing to ask."

"Energon Repair Ray." he replied as if it was nothing

"That's your answer to everything."

He was about to reply when his ears perked up and he turned his head in a random direction upward "A ship has just entered the planets atmosphere." he rushed over to the nearest window and looked off into the sky "In approximately 600 astroseconds it will land half a kilometer away."

"Dude are your people just living calculators?"

"No...yes" he said almost shamefully making me laugh a little

"Wait...won't ponies see it?" I asked

He seemed to focus even more towards the sky until finally saying "Negative, Autobot cloaking device activation detected."

"Seriously, how can you know all this stuff."

"I would explain it, but the concepts alone would shatter your reality on known physics."

"And that's....bad?"

He didn't respond as he began rushing outside to go to the predicted landing zone, I followed just behind him, and to my surprise Blaster had come into view and was heading the same way. Soundwave began to slow down to a trot as we got about halfway there.

"Whats...up?" I asked of breath after trying to keep up with him.

"Blaster called for reinforcements, this is...unlikely."

"What do you mean?"

"Blaster has Grimlock with him to aid him if any troubles were to arise, knowing that Starscream is out and about isn't enough for him to call for reinforcements if Grimlock is readily at his disposal."

"So what are you saying?"

"There's more than meets the eye to this." he said as I saw a smile try to sneak it's way onto his face

"What?"

"Nothing...I've just always wanted to say that."

"Why?"

"It's an inside joke."

I rolled my eyes and we began to pick up the pace again.

After a few more minutes of running we arrived at the supposed landing zone where we saw Blaster speaking to two other ponies. Soundwave took a moment to focus on them when I saw his face contort into a frown, he sighed and face hoofed

"What is it now?"

"It's not reinforcements..."

"It's not?"

"No."

"Then what is it?"

"It's his friends..."

At that moment Blaster turned and spotted us and waved us over. Soundwave sighed begrudgingly as he and I trotted over to the three of them.

"Hey Soundwave wassup"

"Why did you call them?"

"Cuz I...uh...don't quite remember why, all I know is I did, so must be important."

One of them, a blue pegasus with a silver mane, and a cutie mark that was a silver wing sticking out of a tire with the Autobot symbol on it, spoke up "I say Blaster, you'd lose your own processor if it wasn't fixed to your body." he said in an accent reminiscent of the Canterlot elite. He looked over at me "Aren't you going to introduce us to your new friend?" he said looking to me.

"Ah right Tracks, Jazz this cool cat is Vinyl Scratch, she's a rockin' DJ"

"A pleasure Miss Scratch," Tracks said

"How's it hangin'?" Jazz said. He was an earth pony that was silver and had a blue mane, his cutie mark was more complicated, the center part of the autobot symbol was made up some musical notes and some parts were replaced by saxophones

"Pretty good, hey whats with your cutie mark?" I asked

"My what now?"

"The symbol on your rump Jazz. If you did anything other than just look at the form you are to mimic you'd know it was meant to signify your special talent." Tracks said.

He looked at his cutie mark and smirked "I'm just smooth." he said calmly, elongating the word smooth a little

"Oh cool..." I trailed off as I realized something "Where are you guys gonna stay?"

"That my dear..." Tracks began as he went into thought "Is a good question."

We made our way back to town and after a short and hastily put together lie we managed to convince the other Elements of Harmony girls to look after Tracks and Jazz. Rarity volunteered to watch after tracks after she was impressed by his mannerisms and his apparent knowledge of being well mannered. Jazz on the other hoof was a bit more complicated. He and Rainbow Dash hit it off pretty well, but he couldn't exactly live with her, until Twilight offered to place the cloud walking spell on him.

Afterword me and Soundwave returned home to relax for the night, but I sensed something bothered him.

"Hey man wassup now?"

I snapped him out of whatever thoughts he was in "Nothing...it's just...I can't help but feel something is coming our way."

"Well you've been kinda spot on about everything else, so I just hope whatever is commin' isn't too bad."

He shrugged deciding to drop the topic "I need to go find the rest of my Minicons, Rumble and Frenzy are currently detained so they won't be too much trouble."

"Thanks again for helping fix my stuff."

Without another word Soundwave left to go retrieve his Minicons, while I went to sleep for the night.

-------

Weeks went by and literally the day of the wedding was the day Twilight found out about it. From there her and her friends rushed to get everything in order, and in turn had to rush us to get ready, even though I had already had all my gear moved just a few days prior so all I had to do was bring some snacks for the trip. I was somewhat thankful I didn't have attend the actual wedding ceremony and only work the reception, even though because of association, the guys had to. It gave me some time to myself to think.

We all made our way to the train station to board. The elements took the cart ahead of us while the rest of us took the one behind them. I was just about to enter the cart when I saw three purple ponies who looked really similar to one another also boarding, but on the very last cart. Something about them seemed off, but when I tired to get a better look the whistle for the final boardings blew and I had to get on really fast.

On the way the guys spent most of their time telling about the events that unfolded while they were with the other Elements.

"Really the whole tree?" Blaster asked Grimlock

"Grimlock smash whole tree Grimlock's first try!" Gimlock said proudly

"Isn't the goal just to shake it and knock down a few apples?"

"Grimlock was told to buck tree and that what Grimlock did! Not Grimlock fault he strongest there is!"

All the autobots shared in a light laugh, Shockwave and Soundwave sat near the back of the car away from the others. They weren't talking and looks that that implied they clearly didn't want to be here. I turned back towards the conversation.

"So Pinkie showed me how she does what she does." Blaster said proudly

"What you mean..." I asked trailing off

"Yeah, see what she does is she takes her cannon and then she..." After 'she' he began to explain it in some language I didn't understand, the others seemed to know what he was saying and simply nodded

"What did you say?"

"I just said..." repeating his choice of words when a look of realization came onto his face "Oh right...there's no actual way to explain that without using old Cybertronian."

"Is that how you guys get super small when you transform?"

"Same principle" he explained with a smile.

After a few minutes, Canterlot came into view and it was surrounded by this large pinkish barrier. As the train approached it I could have sworn I saw out of the window those three ponies from before jump out the back of the train.

"Hey did anypony else see that?"

"See what?" Blaster said

"Nothing...I guess." The train reached the station and we all filed out of the train. From this point we had to split away from the Elements of Harmony, good thing to because Twilight seemed really pissed about something.

We began our walk through Canterlot traveling through the crowds of ponies all of them looking cleaner than usul, probably trying to impress the Princess.

"My what a wonderful city, nothing compared to Iacon in its prime mind you, but still quite wonderful" Tracks said

"Yeah that is until someone, not pointing any fingers here, decided to bomb it and kill Zeta Prime," Jazz said with obvious disdain in his voice. I looked back at Soundwave and Shockwave expecting an answer but the two of them stayed quiet. After a few moments of awkward silence I spotted the two ponies I hadn't seen nor did I want to see in a while Octavia and DJ COL-7, both of them sitting at a table in front of a coffee shop. I tried to stay hidden from their sight, but I could tell they saw me a mile away.

I sighed and turned to the group "Alright guys, conveniently my apartment never got a new owner so the Princess is letting us use that for the duration of the wedding. You guys head there, I gotta handle something really quick. Soundwave you know where it is." Soundwave remained quiet as he directed the group towards my old pad, I swallowed hard as I approached the two of them, both of them glaring daggers at me. Octavia, being the more polite one, motioned towards the open chair at their table "Sit." she said, wanting to get right to business.

"So..." She began "We heard that you'll be playing at the reception of the royal wedding, correct?"

I nodded, trying to avoid eye contact

"It seems your doing well in the world then doesn't it." she continued

"Cut the crap Octavia." COL-7 said turning his attention to me"Vinyl what the hell, you disappear for weeks then you just show up with a bunch of dudes one day and your playing at the reception of the royal wedding?!"

"Look I've just been really busy and-"

"Busy! Yeah busy ruining 'my' career and getting drunk I bet and let me guess the one with the yellow shades is your new boyfriend right? By Celestia you've done some crazy stuff but putting me out of a job? That's low."

"Hey man you stole my style who's the real victim hear

"Well clearly it isn't you because-"

"Enough!" Octavia shouted over us "Come on you two, at least act like you two are mature adults." She looked to me "Vinyl I wanted to say that we're proud that you have managed to get this far in life, but ruining and degrading others was certainly uncalled for."

"Look I did what I had to to get by."

"You sold my favorite instrument for booze money, is that what you call necessary!?" Octavia said, rasing her voice for the second time. "Your own pride was what kept you from being successful, instead of working with him, you decided to try and ruin him. I mean for Celestia's sake, he's your brother and I'm your supposedly your best friend and the fact you did what you did to us hurts more than you think."

I did my best to look away from them, every part of me wanted to get out of there, but I had to face the music eventually. Yes I did sell her cello for booze money, back when we were room mates. She and I had grown up together in Ponyville and we were always the best of friends, then the day I became the legal drinking age I discovered that I liked alcohol more than normal ponies and I kept drinking...and drinking...and drinking, throwing my life away.

And COL-7 or rather my twin brother, Playback, wanted both of us to be DJ's, but I wanted to go solo and he wanted us to play together. I was always selfish and proud and I wanted the spotlight all to myself at the time. We both learned how to DJ the same way and I thought I was just more creative and clever than him, the reality was we were exactly the same, music, looks, everything. I was just trying to place blame on him because club owners wanted him more than me, mostly because he was sober most of the time.

"What do you have to say for yourself Vinyl?" Octavia asked.

"I'm sorry..." I said after a moment of silence "I'm sorry I hurt you two...there's no excuse for doing what I did...and I'm sorry." I could tell the looks on their faces was that of shock. I started to cry a lightly, and to my own surprise they both got up and hugged me. We sat there for a while in silence, ignoring the judging eyes of some of the patrons...

------

My optic whirred from zooming in and out "So...a sibling and a companion...this could be good leverage later on..." I activated my short range personal radio "What are your locations?"

"We're outside the barrier, like you asked." replied one of my minions

"Good, did you get the disguise data I sent you?"

"Of course, Hardshell has already infiltrated their ranks."

"Good...see to it that everything goes according to plan, I do not want any mistakes, understood?"

"Of course, Sharpshot out..."

I emerged from the alleyway I snuck into and rejoined the others, sliding right back into the spot where a hologram of me was projected. Tomorrow was going to be a big day, after all, I had a wedding to attend to...

-------

A/N: Firstly special thanks to Alcemo Arrow for designing Jazz's cutie mark. Tis awesome and I love it and you should all love it and go to his blog and love his stuff here. Also sorry I lied about encompassing the whole of the wedding arc in one chapter, I lie I do that.