• Published 29th May 2012
  • 7,683 Views, 408 Comments

Double the Bass - Blacktastic

  • ...
11
 408
 7,683

Chapter 17

Me and Soundwave began making our way to the club where my gig was taking place. Instead of using Soundwave as my equipment I thought it'd be a good idea for him to help play technician, seeing as how in his free time he managed to fix up my old gear to 'maximum efficiency', which to me basically means his level of bass blasting awesomeness that he created the night we beat COL-7. As we were riding the train, to keep a low profile, I felt something was up with Soundwave.

I turned to him "You okay man?"

I seemed to snap him out of his far off daze, "Affir- Negative..."

"What's up? Is it those Autobot guys?"

"Affirmative"

"What's your beef with them?"

"Blaster..."

"What about him?"

"He and I used to be close friends, that is until Megatron promised the people a new glory and strength. I took that opportunity, he didn't, and we've been rivals ever since."

I frowned "That's pretty heavy"

He nodded

"Well you guys aren't fightning anymore, maybe you can be friends again"

"He and I would never forgive nor forget our crimes against each others allies"

"What makes you say that?"

He looked at me stoically "Call it a hunch..."

We rode the rest of the way in silence. It was already night time by the time we arrived and the crowds were filing into the club, which was playing generic music to keep them occupied long enough for the main event to show. Soundwave and I split up once we entered, I went to the back rooms to make sure I looked ready, call me crazy, but I had to achieve a certain look of ragged and delinquent before going on stage, Soundwave went to make sure all the equipment was prepared and set up properly. After a few minutes I emerged from the back to see Soundwave behind the board, with an almost sad look on his face.

"Hey Soundwave?"

He turned to me

"Why don't you go ahead get yourself straight, I can handle tonight"

He looked ready to protest, but he closed his mouth and nodded, leaving the club and making his way back to Ponyville. I on the other hand had a gig to preform. I took the stage and the mic "Good evening Canterlot, DJ PON-3 in da house!" I shouted causing the crowd to bust out in cheers as I set the needle to the first track...

-------

Hours passed by quickly as the gig went on, my mind somewhat focused on Soundwave the entire night. The night started coming to a close and I began wrapping up all my gear that I needed at home, and getting my pay for the night. Once I was done and heading out the door somepony behind me called out "Hey!". I turned about and was puzzeld at who I saw, a surprisingly well kept mare to be hanging around the club scene. She had a long pink, purple, and light yellow mane and tail that swirled at their ends, a pink coat, and magenta eyes, her voice was soft and upper class sounding. Her cutie mark was a crystal heart with golden ribbon....thingys, I don't know what they're called, but they were around the little heart.

"Umm hey. Can I help you?" I asked confused at why somepony like her would be hanging around here

"Actually yes you can. I love your music and I was wondering if you DJ outside clubs?"

"Yeah I guess, not many ponies hire me outside club scenes. I'm sorry who are you?"

She looked embarrassed "Oh sorry, my name is Cadence, and I was wondering if you'd DJ at my wedding?"

--------

As I was making my way back home I forgot Vinyl had the train tickets so getting a return trip wasn't an option, and I wasn't in the mood to talk to her again. So I opted to go with the old fashion way, transforming into a car and going at a ridiculous speed. I easily avoided any detection under the cover of night. Blaster's stay had me uneasy, it wasn't ideal to have your most hated enemy for the last few eons be right down the street from you, nor was it comforting to know that with him he had a couple of tons of metal, fire, and rage at his disposal that he could sic on you at any time.

I arrived at the town and transformed back into my local disguise. The town had fallen into silence, a dramatic change from the active night scene at Canterlot. It was also these kinds of nights that haven't graced Cybertron in millions of years. As I was walking I noticed something moving about the shadows. My curiosity got the better of me and I trailed it. I followed it through alleyways, open streets, and finally the park. I stealthy approached the shadowy figure only to have it turn it's head and glare at me with one bright yellow eye.

"Oh...Greetings Soundwave" he said

"Greetings Shockwave."

"I take it you to are not able to achieve rest."

"We were never ones for rest anyways Shockwave."

He chuckled "Very true, Megatron always worked us to the frame."

"Cycles at a time we'd toil and plot against the Autobots, designing new weapons, training new troops, running commands across hemispheres."

"Not a dull moment went by under his command and Starscream's undying need to usurp him."

"Please don't use the term 'undying' to describe him...it's horrifically true"

He chuckled once again "I have the recording of him being turned to ash if you wish to see it"

I processed it for a moment "Another time...when he can see it to"

He and I shared a laugh, which between he two of us sounding like an earth animal hacking up something, but we didn't care. A moment of silence fell between the two of us until I decided to break it, with a thought I never thought would ever exit my vocal emitters.

"Do you regret it?"

He looked at me like I was insane "Come again?"

"Do you regret doing anything we did?"

"I regret we didn't kill Starscream in his sleep." he said jokingly

"I'm serious!"

He looked at me almost appalled as I continued "When Megatron took his place as leader of the Decepticons he promised every bot would be equal, the strong who were forced into the pits of Cybertron wouldn't be oppressed by the weak Autobots. He said the strong rule, and yet through all the fighting and death, it was the Autobots who won! I look at this planet and I see part of Megatron's ideals. The strong rule and no one is above someone else with the exception of their leader, which makes me keep asking myself...was Megatron wrong? Did we decimate our planet for a cause that was wrong, or did we follow the wrong bot to lead the cause?"

Shockwave was quiet for what seemed like hours until he looked at me with a stoic look "I felt the same way when I was captured by the Autobots, even know I cannot help but process these ideas, but to answer your question. I do not regret a choice I made, a choice that I knew in my spark was the right one when I accepted it. Was it the wrong choice? Some would say so, but I don't regret making it for a second."

He stood up and began to walk off "Now the question is this, do you regret you're decision?" After that he disappeared into the night, leaving me in the park with my thoughts.

-------

It was the next morning. Myself, Rumble, Frenzy, and Ravage awoke and began to go about our usual buisness. Ravage frequented the one called Fluttershy for reasons beyond what I could process whilst I kept a close eye on Rumble and Frenzy while they attended school.

Today was the day after they had so flippantly exposed themselves in front of the 'Cuite Mark Crusaders' as they referred to themselves on the way back from the woods. Unlike the situation with Earth I was hoping we could keep a low profile, have no one even know we exist, and just function on this planet with little problems, but that was hoping for too much.

We arrived together as a group, I was perched on Rumbles back, pretending to pick at my feathers like a normal bird would from time to time. There was a crowd around the front of the school, all of them listening to some voices coming from the center of it. I was hoping the three of us could sneak by unchecked...

"Hey it's them!"

...but that was hoping for too much. They crowded around us excitedly all of them bombarding the three of us with questions, all of them indistinguishable from the sheer quantity of them.

Rumble had enough of it "All of ya shut your traps!" he shouted at an astounding level of volume, effectively silencing all of them.

Two of them, I think they're called Snips and Snails, were the ones to speak

"The crusaders said you saved their lives from a pack of timber wolves!" Snail said in a long slow tone of speaking.

"Yeah they say you bucked them int next week!" the rather pudgy Snip said.

"By Primus if you two speak a word of it I'll make sure that by the night cycle you'll be wishing that you could be going head to head with Metroplex instead of facing my wrath, got it?

I was hoping it would scare them...but that's asking for too much, a running theme since we've been on this rock.

"Yeah we beat the snot outta them!" Frenzy said, gaining their praise and my frustration. They went on about their 'heroic feats' for the entire day whenever they got the chance. Thankfully they're smart enough to keep their true identities a secret.

Finally school reached it's end and all of the children gathered in the play yard to await their parents to pick them up. The one's who hadn't left on their own were crowded around Rumble and Frenzy listening to their story for the umpteenth time.

"You two are so full of it!" a snarky voice shouted. The crowd turned to see Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon

"Like yeah, there's no way you two losers took on a whole pack of timber wolves by yourselves, that's like totally impossible."

"How would you know ya brat?!" Rumble replied "You wasn't there!"

"By Primus they're fighting now..." speaking to no one in particular I rose my wing to my face though as if someone was.

"Oh yeah then prove it!" the pink filly said

"Fine!" they both said

"Oh no..." Just as they were about to ruin everything we heard a familiar voice say "Enough you two."

We all turned to see Shockwave trotting towards us, he looked at me and said "You need to keep these two in better check Laserbeak."

"I try"

"Try harder" he replied quickly

The teacher seemed to notice Shockwave's presence and came out of her office "Excuse me, but who are you?"

He nodded his head "Greetings mam I am Shockwave, Soundwave's sibling, he is far to busy at the workshop to come by and pick up our young brother's himself, so I am here to do it myself"

"You're Soundwave's brother?" she asked skeptically

"Correct."

She eyed him up and down for a brief moment before turning to Rumble and Frenzy "Do you boys know this stallion?"

They nodded "Yeah he's our older brother," they said going on with the lie

Cheerlie smiled "Alright then you kids have a good day, and it was nice to meet you Mister Shockwave."

"A pleasure, come then children, we have to go meet your brother."

Before we left Rumble and Frenzy gave one last dirty look to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon who returned the childish act.

------

After a long day of working at the workshop I finally managed to make my way home to meet up with Vinyl Scratch who apparently had news for all of us, and unfortunately that included the Autobots. Upon all of our synchronized arrivals we entered to find Vinyl scratch bouncing up and down excitedly.

"Why white pony bouncing?" Grimlock asked simply

She stopped, turned to us and with a great smile said "I get to DJ at the royal wedding!"