• Published 24th Aug 2015
  • 4,153 Views, 400 Comments

Three of Diamonds - Anzel



Azurite never imagined that joining the Royal Guard would land her in a relationship beyond her wildest dreams, but she soon discovers that love is only one of the elements necessary to keep ponies together.

  • ...
14
 400
 4,153

4. My New Acquaintances

“When you said dorm I was thinking about my tiny room when I was back in training,” I said as I looked around.

Soarin chuckled lightly and replied, “This is just another perk of being a Wonderbolt.”

The “dorm” had a foyer, a large living room, a big master bedroom with a bathroom, a smaller bedroom, a dining room, a chef’s kitchen, and a smaller bathroom. It was also immaculately maintained, almost brand new looking, and as modern as dwellings came.

“This is just nuts…” I said, my cares briefly falling aside in a wave of awe.

“Yeah… again, work hard, play hard, I guess.” He looked at my bag and then asked, “Are you moving in?”

“May I?” I asked.

Soarin came over and looped his hooves around me. He held me very tightly. “Of course. You didn’t do anything wrong, Azurite. This wasn’t your fault.”

I embraced him and my eyes filled with tears. We just lingered like that for a while. Soarin had known Sunny far longer and she hadn’t been cruel to him but she’d never been delicate either. My suspicion was he thought I’d just stay with her because I’m a pushover. I am a pushover.

He finally let me go and then looked over my belongings. “Where is Mr. Peepers, Plant, Plant, and Plant?”

“It’s just me and Pink Pony. Sunny is going to watch them for a few days while we… you know… stuff,” I explained sheepishly. My fish and plants were my way of keeping Sunny’s door open.

“Ah, I see,” he replied, a ton of meaning in those words. He then seemed to push the tone away and tried to sound more positive. “Well, why don’t we get you settled in the bedroom? Pink Pony can have the guestroom.”

“Pink Pony can’t sleep with us?” I asked.

Soarin’s brow lifted. “Well a few nights, sure, until she gets comfortable being here. After that though…” He put his hooves over her ears, “...I don’t think she is old enough to see what pony couples do together at night.”

Despite how I felt that made me giggle and I felt my ears turn pink. I wiped my eyes and nodded. “Agreed!” I took Pink Pony, my bag, and myself into the spacious master suite. Rank has its privilege and being a Wonderbolt just adds onto that.

Of course, deep down, I’d still rather have had the three of us back in Sunny’s condo together. Even after what she did.

♦♦♦

“It is my distinct pleasure to present Warrant Officer Azurite with this Certificate of Achievement for her diligent work in the Palace Pony Resources Section. You’ve not only handled the palace guard but you also took on both House Guards and did so in a timely and professional manner. Well done, Warrant Officer!”

I shook hooves with Major Aegis and thanked Celestia that the small crowd of ponies staring at me were all royal guards. It was unlikely I’d have been able to stand there if they weren’t.

“Thank you, sir,” I replied as I accepted the certificate. “I just like to do my part.”

Major Aegis smiled. “Lieutenant Brook says you do your part and more. Congratulations.”

The assembled ponies, only three of whom I knew, stomped politely. Then they all headed for the snack table, forgetting all about me. That, of course, was totally alright.

“Great job, Azurite,” Lieutenant Brook said as he approached. Evidently I was more important than snacks to him.

“Well it was all you, sir. You put me in for it.”

He waved a hoof. “Don’t be so modest. You did the work, I just wanted to be certain it was recognized. Be sure to get some of the goodies before they disappear. The crowd is looking pretty ravenous.”

“Yes, sir!” I chimed eagerly. I wasn’t above cookies and cake. In fact I was in love with sweets in general. As he wandered off I put on my best smile as the other two ponies I knew approached.

“Well done,” Silent Knight said evenly. “I appreciate all the work you did for my guards.”

“Honestly I was glad to help, sir.”

He nodded. “Of course. Thank you again.” He looked over at Sunny Day, back to me, and then wandered off in the opposite direction of the snacks. That is when I knew Silent Knight was some kind of robot. No pony turned down a free sweets buffet!

“Congratulations Azu, I’m really proud of you,” Sunny started once Silent Knight was out of earshot. “You worked really hard for that.”

I waved a hoof. “I just did my job.”

“And you do it well…” she trailed and then idly rubbed one hoof against her leg. “How’re you settling in with Soarin?”

“It’s okay. His place is pretty nice but it is weird without you. Why don’t you talk to him?” I asked.

Sunny shook her head. “He probably hasn’t cooled off yet.”

My ears flicked. “It’s been a week. You are going to talk to him aren’t you?”

“Yes, of course. I just haven’t worked out what I’m going to say and it is busy here during the day. You know how it goes. Look, why don’t you go get some punch and sweets before the vultures eat them all?”

“Good idea. Talk to him,” I said before I went to go get some treats.

♦♦♦

After the ceremony I went into my office to get back to work. Somepony had dropped a lot of files in my inbox. That didn’t bother me. What did, however, was the fact that there was a note on top: Come see me ASAP, Lieutenant Knight.

“They told! I’m doomed!” I told Mr. Clockerson. He just ticked casually, not understanding the gravity of the situation. Under my desk seemed like a good hiding place so I nestled there for about an hour while the waves of panic washed over me. Once I’d calmed down I hurried upstairs.

When I got to Silent Knight’s office I was out of breath. The door was closed so I knocked.

“Come in,” he called from the opposite side.

I did so and found that he wasn’t alone. Silent Knight stood with another pegasus stallion in front of a chalk board. The other stallion was big, like Silent Knight, but looked far more raptorish. If raptorish is a word. Is it a word? Anyway, he was a raptony or raptopony. Whichever sounds better.

The raptony had a steel grey coat and his mane was a lighter off white. The two contrasted starkly and both made it obvious that he also had really intense green eyes. Quickly I looked away from them and at the lieutenant. “Reporting as ordered, sir.”

“Thank you for coming up, Azurite. I’ve got a lot of files that require your talent,” Silent Knight started. He motioned to three large stacks that were settled up against his office wall. “I imagine stacks like this would get your attention?”

Maybe I wasn’t doomed. Could he really just need me to do work? “Yes, sir.”

The grey pony approached me. On his armor he had a chief warrant officer pin. Without a word he held out a scrap of paper to me which I accepted in my magic.

“Return the file of every pony on that list back to the archive,” Silent Knight said in a way that sounded like an order.

“Yes, sir. That seems… well pretty mundane, sir?”

“Indeed it does. Unfortunately there is a slight catch. These files were pulled… inappropriately. We need them to be replaced without it looking like they were accessed. All of them.”

Azurite tilted her head. “What for sir?”

“Classified. Don’t let this get in the way of your usual work but do it as quickly as you can. When you’re done destroy the list and do not log the request. Am I clear?”

I squirmed a bit. “Does Lieutenant Brook know about this, sir?”

The grey pony looked over at Silent Knight in a way that made me extremely uncomfortable. It was a look that said ‘get her in line, even if it means beating her.’

Silent Knight shook his head. “No and I’m afraid he isn’t going to. You’re doing this on my authority and I give you my word that if anything comes of it I’ll say I coerced you.”

“Coerced makes it sound like this is… unethical? Inappropriate? Outside of protocol, sir.”

He shook his head. “Not exactly, at least as far as ethics go. Just a stretch of protocol is all. I just don't want anypony knowing who is on the list and that their file was pulled for their safety. If I make an official request, it gets logged, and the list goes into the record. I’m ordering you to break the documentation chain is all.”

That was less frightening. It happened a lot on accident. Not with me but with other ponies. To intentionally do it was wrong but usually it was just a little reprimand. Still, I didn’t do bad things. Even little bad things. “I can’t do that, sir! I just got that award for being good and to turn around and do the wrong thing… it seems bad,” I blurted.

Silent Knight crossed over to me. He loomed. Pegasi can loom. They’re all so darn big. At least the ones that aren’t weather ponies. “Am I coercing you warrant officer?”

I cringed a bit. “It feels an awful lot like coercion right now, yes. And your friend there, the chief warrant officer, he is super scary.”

“So you’ll do it?”

“Um… no? If I do it without reporting you, even if I was coerced, they’ll say I should have reported you. I might not get in trouble but they’ll put a black mark in my file for questionable behavior. Plus… um… you’re usually a nice pony and I don’t think you’d actually hurt me so I can’t really say I was fully coerced even if I am very, very scared right now.”

Silent Knight and the grey raptony exchanged glances again. Finally Silent Knight smiled and patted me on the shoulder. “You’re right, I’m sorry. Okay, we’ll do it the right way and you can report me for trying.”

“Sir…” the grey pony growled, his voice really gravelly.

“No, she’s right. If I wanted this done quietly I should have gone through channels or did it myself.”

“The mission, sir… we don’t have time for that nonsense.”

The big white and blue pegasus shook his head. “We’re not burning ponies.” He turned back to me and said, “My apologies warrant officer. Please handle my request how you normally would and I absolutely will not be mad if you report it to Lieutenant Brook that I tried to circumvent controls. In fact you should report me to cover yourself.”

“Yes sir. Thank you, sir,” I replied before backing out of his office. I didn’t know Silent Knight well but he was a good pony. That other pony though… he scared me. He scared me a lot so I hurried away and right to Lieutenant Brook to tell him everything.

♦♦♦

Lieutenant Brook nodded and said, “It is pretty brave of you to report that.”

“The lieutenant insisted,” I put in.

“Yeah, that sounds like Silent Knight. Look, I know you haven’t dealt with one of these before but it happens from time to time.”

“What does one of these mean, sir?” I asked.

“Sometimes ponies have missions that we never hear about. Commanders look for particular skills or experiences and pull from a range of units. They always try to take the shortcut to do it, too. I know Silent Knight is the House Guard commander but he’s always had other things going on. All kinds of missions that no pony hears about,” he explained.

“What sort of missions, sir?”

The earth pony shook his head. “We don’t ask, Azurite. We never ask. The less we know the better.” He unlocked and then opened one of his desk drawers and pulled out a log book.

Offering it to me he said, “Those names go in this one. Fill them out and do what the lieutenant wants just like normal. All the work is here but not in your daily log. Record the check-ins here as well, not the usual registry. This log comes back to me every day. The regulations just say we have to log it. They don’t say it all has to go in the same book that anypony can walk by and pick up.”

“How will they be able to audit if they don’t know to ask for that book?” I asked.

“Exactly,” he replied.

“Sir?” My head tilted.

“The ponies that need to know about this stuff know to ask. The casual lookiloos don’t. You’re following the regulation. All of your work is logged and we don’t potentially put any ponies at risk. I know Silent Knight well enough to believe that if he thinks this needs to be kept quiet I’ll take him at his word. He’s earned that.”

This was turning into a day of mixed feelings. “Alright, thank you, sir.”

He nodded and said, “Carry on.”

♦♦♦

Sandy and I stood in the grass side by side. She held a spool of string in her hoof. Mine was gripped in my magic. Far overhead two kites bobbed and danced in the wind.

Mine was modeled after Mr. Peepers. It was a bright orange fish with two giant black eyes. Sandy’s was far more elegant and beautiful. It was a jade-colored dragon with a sage mane along its back.

“That sounds like a pretty big fight,” Sandy said, tugging her string and commanding the long dragon to do a loop.

“Yup, they haven’t spoken in a week. Soarin doesn’t talk about it, I don’t bring it up, and Sunny and I just barely engage in the office.” I tugged my string and Mr. Peepers just flipped over briefly to look at me with his big derpy eyes.

Sandy twirled her dragon and looked over at me. “Not to a be a drag but it honestly sounds more like a break up.”

I shook my head. “What? No… no. We all worked too hard for that. They’ll get over it. They have to get over. I’m over it.”

“I’m just saying Azurite you need to prepare yourself just in case. You got out of having to choose before but I’m thinking you won’t get that lucky twice. Plus, I’m not so sure you’re over it. You’re just saying that.”

Sandy had always been a sharp royal guard. Assess the scene, get the facts, figure out what happened. I wasn’t sure how to respond immediately so I just kept an eye on Mr. Peepers. Finally I asked, “How’s that?”

“Well, for starters, you’ve just said you’re barely talking to her and only at work. You’re not mad?”

I shook my head. “Not mad.”

My old partner looked over at me. “Okay… let me rephrase. Azurite, she picked up another mare. Another sweet little—”

I snarked softly as I struggled to fight back a sudden onset of tears.

“Sorry… you see what I mean, though? Are you sure the two of you are good? Shouldn’t you iron that out before worrying about her and Soarin?”

She was right, I wasn’t quite over it yet. Mad wasn’t the feeling I was struggling with though. It was inadequacy. I sniffled, wiped my eyes again and focused on the kites. “Okay, I see your point. Counterpoint?”

The mare tugged the string and the dragon swooped down briefly before bobbing even higher into the sky. “Shoot!”

“Instead of dealing with that right now we table it. I’m a bit cried out. As an alternative you and I will concoct an elaborate but unlikely scheme that forces the two of them to see how much they miss each other and ultimately realize that together is better and once they’re together I can deal with my issues with Sunny.”

Kite Mr. Peepers was casually flying towards a tree. I started to rein in his string.

Sandy shook her head and then just shrugged. She started to loop her hoof in a circle, bringing the dragon towards us. “If that is how you want to play it, I’m game. It sure beats bingo down at the veterans’ hall. Where do you propose we start?”

“I’m thinking at the movie theatre. We’ll need to watch every filly flick they have playing.” I started winding Peepers’s string faster and yelled, “Get away from that tree! No means no, mister!”

My friend giggled as I struggled. Did she help me at all? No! “We can skip that step and just do all the common tropes and see which one works out.”

I trotted backwards, tugging my kite away from a certain tree death. Quickly I wound the string around the spool until I could capture him in my magic. “You are just all kinds of trouble!”

Sandy’s kite came down gracefully and she went to collect it.

“Where do we start?” I asked.

“Invite them both to dinner individually and then duck out. That one comes up all the time.”

“Does it ever work?”

Sandy laughed and shook her head. “No, but I thought this plan was largely just a distraction until nature took its natural course.”

With a nod I replied, “Then we’ll start there. What else have you got?”

As we headed over for our traditional post kite flying treat at Sunridge Sweets Sandy went on, “Lock them in a room until they work it out. Oh, then there is also the classic put one in mock danger so the other saves him or her.”

I looked over at her. “Sunny may clean up nice but I’ve seen her in those self defense classes. She’s a beast and Soarin… well you don’t get more fit than that. What kind of mock danger could we possibly come up with?”

“Maybe we should leave that one off the list.” Sandy pulled the door open and I walked in.

“Hi, welcome to Sunr—Azurite?!” Velvet Step called from behind the counter. “What now?”

I squeaked, “Nothing now! We came for treats. We fly kites and get treats. We always get treats! Why are you here?”

Velvet set her hooves on the counter and leaned over it to peer down at me. “It is my family’s bakery.”

“I didn’t know, I promise. Can we please get treats?” Sunridge Sweets made the best treats in Canterlot because they used real butter no matter what health craze was going on. It was critical I wasn’t cut off.

The pink mare glared at me a bit but then nodded. “I guess so… since your friend looks nice.”

Sandy maneuvered around me and replied, “I’m very nice and I didn’t know Azurite had any enemies. She doesn’t seem the type.”

I trotted up next to her. “We’re not enemies. We’re just… uh…”

Velvet nodded and waved a hoof around. “Yeah we’re sort of… you know…”

My friend looked back and forth between us. “Former lovers?”

“What? No!” I squeaked.

Velvet glared again. “Don’t say it like that! We could be.”

I held my face in my hooves while Sandy giggled. Finally I looked up. “Velvet, I’m sorry. You’re very pretty. Sandy, Velvet is the mare Sunny went out with. The one I went to fight but had tea with.”

“And fancy biscuits!” Velvet interjected.

“And fancy biscuits,” I repeated.

“This makes so much more sense now,” Sandy said. She then smiled brightly at Velvet. “I’m not with her, so make with the sweets please.”

I just stood there, my mouth wide open in shock. “Traitor!”

Sandy shrugged. “Friends come and go. Sweets like this are forever.”

“What is all this commotion?” came a sugary sweet voice from further back in the bakery.

Velvet looked over her shoulder. “It isn’t anything, Mom, you can keep doing your thing.”

A mare the color of pale bread appeared out of the back. She was older but not in the going grey sort of way. In fact her mane and tail were a magnificent golden blonde. “It sounds a lot like something.” She nudged Velvet out of the way and smiled at Sandy and I. “Are you two some of Velvet’s little friends?”

Did she just make a short joke?

Before I could figure that out Sandy replied, “Yes, ma’am. At least Azurite here is. It seems that she and Velvet have the same taste in dates. I’m Sandy Shores by the way.”

The two shook hooves and the mare smiled. “Well I’m Sunbeam, Velvet’s mom.”

Velvet groaned and peered at Sunbeam. “Really, Mom?”

“Oh, hush, dear. It is about time you branched out a little. What brings you two in?”

Sandy replied, “Azurite and I fly kites now and then. We talk about serious things and then come lighten it up with sweets.” My soon to be former friend patted me on the head. “Azurite has had a bit of a rough time lately. You know she could probably use some wisdom.”

“What?” I squawked. “Sandy’s kidding, we were just leaving.”

“Don’t be silly, why don’t we get a table? We can talk all about it.” Sunbeam then looped a hoof under Velvet’s and tugged her over. “Right, cinnamon stick? We should be nice to your friends.”

Velvet briefly struggled and then just gave up. “Sure, okay. Let’s all sit down and help my friends!”

Sandy seemed to be enjoying this way too much. She was all grins as she wheeled over to one of the tables. Sunbeam sat across from her and tugged Velvet over. “You know this one never tells me anything? No gossip, no stories, no grandfoals, nothing!”

Velvet looked at me and I gave her a sympathetic shrug before coming over and sitting next to Sandy. What can I say, I accepted my fate.

“Well, I’ve got something for you. Gossip, story, intrigue, broken hearts, and more. Of course you’ll have to keep an open mind though. Can you do that?” Sandy asked.

Sunbeam smiled. “Why don’t you try me?”

Sandy nudged me. “Alright Azurite, try her. Velvet can fill in some of the gaps I’m sure.”

I took a deep breath, rubbed my face with a hoof and then started to lay it all out. The relationship, the date, the fight, the resolution. Everything. At this point Velvet could have already had me fired, why not give her more.

“So yeah, things are tense right now,” I concluded to the assemblage of mares at the table.

Sunbeam shook her head. “See Velvet, Azurite has TWO ponies in her life. Why can’t you find one?”

“Mom, you’re killing me here. Can we please just focus on Azurite? As weird as that sounds right now,” Velvet replied.

The older mare winked. “Well, it sounds like a really tough situation sweetie. You really love them both that much?” She then hurriedly added, “And I’m not judging at all. I’m just trying to get some clarity.”

The few ponies we told were always curious. That was something I’d grown accustomed to. “Yes, ma’am. It just feels wrong with Sunny missing. I thought it was all perfect.”

Velvet’s expression shifted from mild annoyance to one of embarrassment and shame. “I am really sorry, Azurite, I didn’t know. I wasn’t trying to mess anything up.”

I shook my head. “It wasn’t your fault. If it wasn’t you it probably would have been some other mare… one that probably would have beat me up and told the royal guards. So, in a way, I’m actually glad it was you. You’re really nice."

“Aww…” Velvet said softly. “You’re so sweet. I’m glad it was me, too.” She then threw her hooves to her mouth. “That isn’t want I meant!”

I actually laughed. A genuine, happy laugh. “It’s fine! I get it. At this point I just want to fix everything and move on.”

Sandy’s brow arched. “What makes you think you can fix it?”

Sunbeam motioned at me and replied, “Clearly she thinks she’s the glue.”

I opened my mouth and Velvet quickly nodded, saying before I could speak, “That’s right. She is the more amiable pony. The one in the middle.”

I frowned. “I—”

“Or the most pliable,” Sandy cut in. She leaned in a bit and whispered, “I’ve known Azurite a long time. She is really easy going but sometimes I think ponies take advantage of that. How do we know Sunny didn’t use her to latch on to Soarin? He is famous you know.”

“Well—”

Sunbeam gasped. “I hadn’t considered that… but she is in an important position, too. What if he is trying to get into the palace?”

“He’d—”

“Oh he can go into the palace whenever. He is a Wonderbolt. Crystal says she sees them there a lot and yeah, Sunny’s position is important, but Silent Knight has a ton of ponies over him. She’s in the same boat. I think Soarin is far more famous,” Velvet explained.

“Can I—”

“Sunny should just do right. She needs to apologize right now and set things right,” Sunbeam said in a very motherly, disapproving tone.

The other mares just nodded.

“Can we please get back to helping me!” I squawked louder than I meant to.

Sandy looked my way and replied, “We are helping, Azurite!”

“How?” I asked.

Sunbeam smiled. “We’re talking it out like civilized ponies.”

“I… but… how… buh?” I stammered before stuffing a cookie into my mouth and crossing my hooves. If this is how they were going to help me, I was at least going to enjoy the treats.

Author's Note:

Azurite gets some sage advice from older mares... well, she gets something at least!

Secrets of a Royal Guard Companion Chapter: Crystal's Parents

Quill & Blade Universe
Mirror Site - In the event FIM Fiction is down / Patreon Rewards
Ask Us - Submit your questions for Anzel, Crystal, or their characters
Patreon - Love our work? Please consider supporting it on Patreon!