• Published 24th Aug 2015
  • 4,153 Views, 400 Comments

Three of Diamonds - Anzel



Azurite never imagined that joining the Royal Guard would land her in a relationship beyond her wildest dreams, but she soon discovers that love is only one of the elements necessary to keep ponies together.

  • ...
14
 400
 4,153

3. My Little Fight

The pony blinked. “Oh, she does but she isn’t here today. She performs in the Sunday shows though. Is she in any kind of trouble?”

My head shook. “No, she isn’t, Miss…”

“Nightingale,” the pegasus replied.

I wrote it down in my notebook along with the date and time. Sell the lie. “Nightingale,” I repeated, keeping it cool and casual. “She isn’t in trouble but I really need to speak to her about somepony she may have seen last night. That pony is in a world of trouble.” Very clever, me!

“She’s like a witness?”

“Exactly! Do you know where I could find her?”

Nightingale looked at me curiously and asked, “Have you tried her condo?”

Oh, Azurite, a royal guard would obviously know where she lives if she knew where she worked. Play it cool. You can figure this out. After a moment of standing there silently I started to flip through my notebook. Eventually I stopped on a page that had a drawing of my fish, Mr. Peepers, on it. I rattled off Sunny’s address and said, “She wasn’t there.”

“That isn’t where she lives.”

I tapped the paper without showing it to the pony. “That is the address it says here, ma’am.”

With an exasperated sigh Nightingale replied, “The royal guard ought to keep better records. Let me give you the correct address.”

I took it down and nodded. “Thank you, ma’am. Please don’t discuss this with anypony else. It might compromise my investigation or, at worst, put Ms. Step at risk. Have a good day.”

She nodded and I went on my way. With a little clever manipulation on my part the mare had been happy to give me Velvet’s address. Me the royal guard. Not me the jealous Azurite. Perk of the job! Also, probably a career-ender if anypony ever found out. It was kind of unnerving to use what Sandy had taught me for semi-evil.

Although it wasn’t evil! I was protecting my relationship. Velvet Step shouldn’t have gone out with a mare that was spoken for. Of course I probably shouldn’t have told Nightingale my name and rank. That was stupid, Azurite.

All of that was tomorrow me’s problem, though. Today was all about revenge! I hurried through Canterlot to the address I’d been given. It was on the nicer side of town.

Velvet Step lived in a pretty fancy condo building. It was the kind that had only two exterior doors and all of the various unit doors were on the inside. That made certain there were only two ways in and two ways out. Great for security. Not great for angry little mares that didn’t want to be noticed.

I went through the main door and headed for the stairs. There were a few ponies coming and going and I didn’t make any eye contact. With my head kept down I hoped to use my size to my advantage and pass for a filly. No one would suspect a little blue filly of anything!

It wasn’t long before I found the right unit. I stood outside her door for twenty minutes or so as I psyched myself up for a conflict. It was time to be an adult, Azurite! This mare is wrecking your world. She swooped in, seduced Sunny, and rode off into the sunset while twisting her mustache.

Okay, Azurite. You’re a royal guard. You’re a mare scorned. Let’s do this! My hoof rose to bang on the door but I ended up just knocking politely instead.

It seemed like an eternity as I waited outside the door. What was taking her so long? I nibbled on my lip and thought about galloping off. It wasn’t too late to run away. There was still time to back out. I could just turn left and trot down to—

The door opened and a creamy white unicorn with a blonde mane peered down at me curiously. Our eyes briefly met and it immediately dawned on me that she wasn’t just any unicorn; she was the pretty one from the faire. This was Silent Knight’s mare! Why was she here?

The last thing I needed as a vigilant royal guard bent on revenge was mixing it up with a hugely respected officer’s mare.

“Hello there?” she offered after we’d stood in silence staring.

Wrong condo! Do you want to buy any Filly Scout cookies? Is something missing in your life? Say anything! “Oh… hi, pretty unicorn. Uh… does Velvet Step live here?” I stammered, all of the wind leaving my sail.

The unicorn nodded. “Oh! Yes, she does. Is she expecting you?”

My head shook. “No.”

“Okay… well, can I let her know what you’re here for?”

I nibbled on my lip and said meekly, “I’m here to fight her over a mare.”

She actually giggled a little and I got the feeling she didn’t think I was serious. Turning back into the condo she called, “Velvet! A filly is here to fight you or something.”

From somewhere behind her a new voice responded, “Okay. Tell her I’ll be right out!”

“She’ll be right out,” the mare repeated before stepping back. “You can wait in the living room if you like. Would you care for some tea sweetie?”

“That would be nice, thank you.” I replied, wandering in. “I’m Azurite.” Why did you tell her your name!

“Crystal Wishes. Charmed to meet you. How do you know Velvet?” Crystal Wishes asked as she went into the kitchen to presumably make tea.

I settled onto the couch and looked around. The condo was really nice. It was clear that these two had money. Assuming they both lived there. I wondered what Crystal Wishes did for a living. This didn’t seem like the sort of condo you’d have a fight over a mare in. We’d have to take it outside. I hoped Velvet was small.

When the unicorn returned with the tea I replied, “She took my marefriend out on a date. So… you know… we have that in common.”

Crystal Wishes stopped in her tracks. “Oh… you were serious. Well then.” The tea floated over to me and I accepted it in my magic. My hooves were shaking too much to hold it normally. She then turned towards one of the doors. “Velvet, I think this little filly is actually here to fight you.”

“What?” the voice called before being followed up with a door opening and a pink pony head poking out. Her mane was wet and up in a towel. She looked at me curiously. “Hi?”

Velvet Step didn’t look like the homewrecking, sultry mare I had imagined. In fact she was a fairly normal looking earth pony. Her coat was pink and her face looked more like the filly next door stereotype. Kind of like me actually but bigger. I waved a hoof awkwardly. “Hi.”

Crystal Wishes sat down next to me and didn’t look the least bit concerned. In fact, if I were to guess, I’d say she was amused. “Velvet, she says you took her marefriend out. Have you been catting around behind my back?” she asked.

Velvet glared at her and ducked back into what I guessed was the bathroom. A second later the door opened and she came out in a robe. “I went on one date! You’re always harping on me to get out there. So I put myself out there, a mare offers to take me to dinner, I said yes, and now I have to fight a filly. Great plan, Crystal!”

“She’s my marefriend,” I said softly.

Crystal Wishes looped a hoof around me. The sudden unexpected touch caused the tea to wiggle in my magic and I had to really focus to keep it from tipping over.

“How could you do this to us, Velvet?” Crystal whined.

The pink earth pony blinked and came over to sit across from us. “You are not helping! This isn’t funny. Can’t you see she’s upset? You… uh…”

“Azurite,” I said. Again! Don’t give ponies your name when you’re on a rampage. Why was I so bad at this?

“Okay, Azurite. You and Sunny Day are together?” she asked.

My head bobbed yes. The tea followed the motion but somehow still managed to stay in the cup.

Crystal Wishes said absently, “Sunny Day, why do I know that name?”

Velvet Step waved a hoof at Crystal while she kept her attention on me. “Listen, I don’t know what she told you but she didn’t say anything about that to me and there wasn’t a ring… I really didn’t know. If I had I wouldn’t have been so...” She cleared her throat. “Well, I would’ve backed off, all right?”

When I didn’t respond she continued, “So for what it is worth, I really am sorry. I’m not trying to steal your marefriend. Nothing happened, though. We danced and then went out and had dinner. Then she shot out of there faster than anypony I’ve ever seen. I thought I’d done something wrong. It wouldn’t have been a date if we hadn’t called it a date… but if you still want to fight, I understand.”

It really wasn’t what I wanted to hear. This was supposed to be all her fault. She seduced Sunny. Wishful thinking Azurite. After seeing Velvet Step I knew exactly who’d done the seducing. Well… I didn’t but I had suspicions!

Velvet Step most likely wasn’t lying and even if she was, Sunny still had to have said yes. Both mares were looking at me. “I… was mad. You don’t seem like the homewrecking type.”

“I’m not!” Velvet Step squeaked.

“She isn’t,” Crystal Wishes replied. “I promise.”

Idly I turned the tea cup in my magic and then sipped from it. It was really good. “I don’t normally storm into pony’s homes to fight them.”

“You didn’t exactly storm in here, sweetie…” Crystal Wishes said.

“Yeah… so maybe I should just go. I’m really sorry about this. It just got me worked up and I wanted to do something about stuff for once instead of just… you know… taking it.”

Crystal Wishes gave me a little squeeze. The look on her facing screamed ‘you poor little mare.’ She cleared her throat, “That’s okay. I’d be really upset if my stallion went on a date with somepony else.”

Her stallion… Oh! Oh, no… What had I done? Sunny’s career! My career! Think fast, Azurite, do something. “Uh… you mean Lieutenant Silent Knight?” No! Don’t make the connection!

The mare blinked and replied, “Yes. You know him?”

No. “Yeah, we work together…” Gah! “I’ve really messed up coming here. There are lines we’re not supposed to cross. I crossed like, all of them. Could you please, please, please not tell him about this? Please? He’s so big and scary.”

The mares exchanged glances briefly.

“Since you don’t want to fight Velvet I think we can all just forget this happened. Your reaction was understandable, right Velvet?” she replied and looked to Velvet Step.

Velvet Step nodded. “Yes, completely.”

I wasn’t sure if they would keep their promise but I felt relieved. “Thank you! Thank you so much. I’m really, really sorry for doing this,” I said before sipping my tea.

We all sat together awkwardly. Me on the couch beside Crystal Wishes and with Velvet Step standing on the other side of the coffee table.

“So…” I hesitated. “This tea is actually really great. I’m paralyzed between the choice of sitting here in what is, without a doubt, the most uncomfortable situation I’ve ever put myself in so I get to finish it or just running out the door. Any thoughts?”

Crystal Wishes snorted softly and started laughing. Velvet Step finally cracked and laughed, too.

“Finish the tea, Azurite,” Velvet replied through giggles.

♦♦♦

“You WHAT?” Sunny exclaimed in exasperation.

My ears drooped. “I went to Velvet Step’s condo to fight her.”

“Why in Equestria would you do something crazy like that?”

“Why am I the bad pony here! You’re the one that cheated! I was mad and hurt. It was like she was trying to steal you and I went to put a stop to it. How was I supposed to know that you were the seductress?”

Sunny’s mouth opened and then closed. She opened it again, lifting a hoof, and then paused. Finally she replied, “I did not expect that from you. You must have been really upset.”

“I am! I still am! She said you asked her out to dinner, Sunny. I really want to believe she is a liar but she doesn’t seem the type.”

My marefriend shook her head. “She isn’t a liar. I’m not sure I’m the seductress but she had no idea about us. You look fine… You didn’t beat her up did you?” There was a deep level of concern in her voice.

“No. We had tea and talked about books. She was nice. For the record she lives with Silent Knight’s marefriend so you’ve gotten us into some crazy filly flick plot. They said they wouldn’t say anything but who knows. We might both be discharged on Monday.”

Sunny facehoofed and groaned. “Sweet Celestia. Look, Azurite, it was stupid of me but I just needed to feel… I don’t know… free. Just for a night. I was lonely. All we did was dance and have dinner. This commitment thing comes easy to you two but I struggle sometimes, okay?”

“This time!” I blurted. “All it was this time was dancing and dinner. Sunny, I’m a pushover and maybe sometimes I don’t feel like I deserve you so maybe I can get past this but I just can’t do this right now. I can’t fight with you and fight with Soarin. He still hasn’t come home if you haven’t noticed. He is hurt. I let him walk out. How do I fix this?” I asked.

“You can’t! That isn’t your job. I have to go fix it with Soarin. You worry about you and me, and you and Soarin. I’ll worry about Soarin and I… and Celestia knows I probably don’t deserve either of you. For what it is worth, Azurite, I am genuinely sorry.”

She fidgeted and added, “I knew as soon as we sat down to dinner I’d screwed up. I felt it deep in my gut. So I ate and split. We didn’t even shake hooves. I’d never felt like that before.”

“I want to believe you,” I said softly. My eyes were starting to get teary and I didn’t want to cry right then. “I’m going to go see Soarin so he doesn’t think I took your side… maybe I should stay there a few days.”

Sunny nodded sadly. “I think that is a good idea. I’ll let him cool off before I try to explain, assuming he lets me.”

My head drooped and went to gather a few things. It felt an awful lot like moving out. I’d given up my little apartment to live here with Sunny and Soarin. Once I had a bag packed I levitated Pink Pony onto my back. “You’ll feed Mr. Peepers and water my plants for me? You know they need a lot of attention.”

“I will, I promise,” Sunny replied, her voice full of pain and regret. “See you later Azu.”

“Yeah… see you later, Sunny,” I replied before hurrying out the door in tears.

When we’d decided where we wanted to live, there had been three options. My tiny apartment, Sunny’s midtown condo, and Soarin’s room in the dorms on the Wonderbolt Campus.

My apartment was the first to go. It was rented and tiny. Soarin’s room was highly visible and both he and Sunny were worried that our unique relationship might impact our careers. So we’d all moved into the condo. Compared to the high I’d felt when I’d moved in there I now felt twice as low walking away.

It took me a while to get across town to the Wonderbolt Campus. Not because it was far, which it is when you have short legs, but because I just didn’t have any energy. Today had been a colossal screw up.

I’d abused my position in the royal guards. I’d almost gotten into a fight with a perfectly nice mare who was at least 85% innocent. I’d fought with Sunny and walked away from her. Now I was heading to face Soarin who I should have went with the night before… but noooo. I stayed with Sunny. Stupid Azurite. Stupid, pushover Azurite.

The sun had set by the time I arrived but that didn’t really matter. The campus was always lit up with a ton of lights. I pulled out my pass and put it on. Pink Pony didn’t have one but the guard didn’t seem to think that was a problem, so that was lucky at least. Although probably sloppy guarding.

I trotted around in confusion. The campus was pretty big and I’d only ever been to a few different areas on sporadic occasions. Plus I felt like I was in a fog. After two unsuccessful attempts to find the dorms I headed towards the central area to try again.

When I got there my ears twitched at the sound of wing flapping growing closer.

“Well, if it isn’t Soarin’s little unislut.” Of course it was Fleetfoot. Who else would it be on a day like today?

I looked up to where she was hovering, my ears folding back, and said, “Can we please not today? Please? I don’t know where Soarin is and I really need to find him before I start losing it again.”

The pegasus blinked at me. “You… you look rough. Like you’ve been worked over.” Her tone was somewhat snarky but only half-hearted.

“That is probably the saddest insult you’ve had for me yet but I really can’t do this today. Can you please tell me how to get to Soarin’s dorm or at least leave me be?”

She landed in front of me. “Yeah, I’m off my game today. It will be scathing next time, though, so you’d best be prepared. The dorms are over this way. Come on.”

“Okay, I will be. Thank you,” I replied, following along behind her and hoping she might actually be a good pony on the inside.

The trip was pretty short. The dorm building was on the opposite side of the massive gymnasium. It was three stories tall and shaped like an L. Fleetfoot put her hoof across the door. “So Soarin moved back in. You two have a fight?”

I didn’t look up at her. “Kind of.”

“Is he going to take you back?”

“Dunno.”

“That is pretty tough,” she said.

“Uh huh.”

“I met somepony. Somepony nice.”

My eyes lifted. “Hurray?”

She smirked. “He’s nice, like you. Less weird, but nice. That doesn’t mean that I like you, though. I still suspect you’re a little gold digging tramp but… until I see actual proof you’re okay.” She moved her hoof and pushed the door open for me. “Second floor, room B.”

“Thank you,” I said earnestly.

Fleetfoot nodded and replied, “Good luck… and get him right quick. We’ve got a tour coming up soon. If he’s sad it will impact the team and I don’t want to look bad.”

For the briefest of moments our eyes met and I could tell she was being sincere. At least about the good luck part. The rest was all bravado. I nodded at her and headed inside. The last bit of my trip was the longest. Soarin was probably still mad. He had every right to be mad at me for being so weak.

When I found room B I was simply too tired to get spun up. Anxiety is like that sometimes. You just get so tired you can’t even worry. I sat Pink Pony down next to me. “Now don’t be scared. We might have a little bit of a fight but that’s okay. Ponies fight sometimes. Are you ready?”

Pink Pony looked at me with sympathetic eyes. I took that to mean yes.

I dropped my bag, and knocked.

It didn’t take long for it to open. Soarin’s eyes widened a little when he saw me. “Azurite? This is a bit unexpected.”

Of course it was. I should have come yesterday. “Hi.”

“Hi,” he repeated before stepping out of the way. “Come on in.”

Author's Note:

Azurite using all of the royal guard skills Sandy taught her? Absolutely! Tea with the "enemy?" Why not! What will Soarin do?

You can see this from Velvet's point of view in "The Velveteen Mask."

Quill & Blade Universe
Mirror Site - In the event FIM Fiction is down / Patreon Rewards
Ask Us - Submit your questions for Anzel, Crystal, or their characters
Patreon - Love our work? Please consider supporting it on Patreon!