• Published 24th Aug 2015
  • 4,153 Views, 400 Comments

Three of Diamonds - Anzel



Azurite never imagined that joining the Royal Guard would land her in a relationship beyond her wildest dreams, but she soon discovers that love is only one of the elements necessary to keep ponies together.

  • ...
14
 400
 4,153

7. My New Plan

From the giant stack of files I’d been given, only ten remained. They levitated into my outbox before I made my way from the lower level to Princess Luna’s wing. When I reached the lieutenant’s door I knocked a few times.

“Come in,” came the stern stallion’s voice.

I pushed the door open with my hooves and came into the office. Silent Knight was sitting behind his desk looking over paperwork. His eyes lifted to me and he was alone, thankfully. I didn’t like that other pony from before.

“Warrant Officer Azurite?” There were bags under his eyes and he looked haggard.

“Yes, sir. I hope this isn’t an inconvenience.”

“No, not at all. Thank you. Anything I need to know?” he asked.

“Yes, sir, based on the request you gave me all the files have been returned properly to the archive. You’ll still probably want to be aware that an in-depth audit will find the records.” My eyes lifted to the shelves behind him. There were little airships on clear stands.

“Oh. Only in-depth? I suppose that is better than anticipated. And you didn’t break any rules?” he asked.

“No, sir. It was all done strictly to policy as written. You have toy ships?” my mouth asked without my brain’s permission.

Silent Knight’s ears flicked and he straightened. “Pardon?”

I pointed to the small airships. “You have a whole shelf of toy ships. You didn’t have anything in your office before.”

He turned to look back at them and then back to me. “They aren’t toys. They’re miniatures for wargames.”

“It’s okay, sir, I have a plush doll as big as me. Her name is Pink Pony. She’s a card shark.”

“They’re not toys, warrant officer. They’re to-scale approximations of the real things used to simulate combat. Can we talk about the files please?”

The toy airships looked really cool. They were painted beautifully and really did look like the real things. I blinked and focused back on the task at hand. “Of course, sir. All files logged out and immediately back in. All Ts have been crossed and Is have been dotted. Evidently this sort of work comes out now and then, according to Lieutenant Brook. He took you at your word.”

Silent Knight gave the slightest wince. “Of course he did. Thank you,” he said.

“Sure. Sir, may I ask you something?”

Silent Knight frowned. “Is it about my airships?”

My head shook. “No, it is about Lieutenant Day. Have you seen her lately?”

He nodded. “I see her a few times a day.”

“How has she been?”

“She has been a less chipper than usual. For a normal pony I’d say it was average but she hasn’t been prancing. Why do you ask?”

I squirmed and shrugged. “I just wanted to make sure she was okay. Could you tell her I asked about her?”

Silent Knight nodded and replied, “Sure. You can’t talk to her yourself? Aren’t you two together?”

That was a difficult question. “We are… on a break? I don’t know. There is a lot going on and it is complicated. Plus she seems extra busy which I’m sure you know how that is. You look like you’re pretty tired too.”

The pegasus looked at me curiously for a moment. “I hope it works out.” He then caught my desire to change the subject. “There is no rest for the wicked,” he said with a light chuckle. It sounded a bit forced. “I’ll tell her. Thank you for this. You’re dismissed.”

“Yes, sir. Take care,” I said before leaving his office and heading back to mine.

When I got there Mr. Clockerson stretched his pointers a bit. “Tick, tick.”

“Yeah, I asked about her. Look I’m working on it. She won’t see me! I went up there three times yesterday and twice today.”

“Tick, tock.”

I shrugged, “I haven’t figured that part out yet. I’m sure I’ll be able to convince her that sticking to the relationship is the best thing for her and for us. Running around with different ponies can’t be that exciting.”

“Tick, tick, tickety, tock.”

“Hey, you chose to get married and this was your idea. There is no sense in getting cold pointers now! We’re in it.”

The clock simply stared down at me. I shrugged and went back to my usual tasks. I’d fallen a bit behind while working on the lieutenant’s secret project so it was time to get caught up.

♦♦♦

Sunny was walking briskly down the hall towards Princess Celestia’s wing. I had to practically gallop to keep up.

“Sunny, wait. Just a minute please?”

Her eyes kept forward and she replied, “I’m really sorry, Warrant Officer Azurite, I can’t. I have a meeting with Princess Celestia that I have to get to.”

“Then we’ll walk and talk,” I said with a huff. She’d walk. I’d gallop.

“Alright,” she replied.

“I don’t think you’re making a good decision. I think you’re being too hard on yourself. We could all sit down and talk about it.”

Sunny turned left and I went wide trying to follow her. I bumped into a potted plant and had to stop to keep it from falling. Once that was achieved I chased her down.

She stopped outside of Princess Celestia’s office. “Soarin and I already talked,” she said, looking over my head. Turning, she set her hoof on the handle of the door. I put mine over hers and she froze.

“How can you just walk away? I thought I meant something to you,” I said quietly.

The golden mare briefly looked down at me and met my gaze. She didn’t look happy. Not like she was mad at me. She just looked unhappy or pained. “Azurite, I have a meeting. Please let go.”

I let her go and backed away from the door. Sunny disappeared inside. What had that look meant?

♦♦♦

“Are you alright, Azurite?” Soarin asked.

“Huh?” I replied.

Soarin came over and picked up the squishy green ball. “This literally just bounced off your face. We’re playing catch. You catch it with your hooves or I guess magic, just not your face.”

“I’m sorry, I got distracted.” I picked the ball up with my magic and tossed it into his face.

The stallion laughed and shook his head. “Let me explain this again. You stand here. I stand over there. Then we throw the ball back and forth. We catch it with our hooves. We can try again.” He trotted a bit further away and tossed the ball.

This time when it hit my face I felt it. Thankfully it was a pretty squishy ball. “Soarin, I’m not sure I want to play catch.”

He came over and picked up the ball. “Okay, what would you like to do? Puzzles?”

I looked at him. “You and Sunny really agreed? You didn’t scare her off or anything?”

Soarin blinked and took a step back. “Azurite, come on. Do you really think I’d do that?”

I shook my head. “No, not really. She won’t talk to me at work. I thought we’d at least be friends. It feels weird. Look, I’m sorry I keep bringing her up. You must think she’s all I think about.”

The stallion chuckled. “That isn’t true. You also spend a lot of time thinking about Pink Pony, Mr. Peepers, yourself, and other things. I am pretty sure I’m on that list, too. Look, it isn’t like I don’t think about her, too. We were all together for almost a year. You can’t just flip a switch and it’s gone.”

“You’re pretty smart for a stallion… although that is what I feel like she did.”

“Gee, thanks. I’m not sure why Sunny isn’t talking to you. Maybe you’d feel better if you talked about it? We can do that and a puzzle at the same time. What do you say?”

“That sounds nice. We can do the one with the fire ponies again.”

Soarin’s brow lifted. “We never finish that one. You get too… uh… eager once you can make them out.”

I winked at him. “Is that a problem?”

“No, but it doesn’t sound like therapy.”

“Physical therapy!”

We started walking home and Soarin looked down to me. “I’m not sure I’ll ever understand how your brain works.”

♦♦♦

“You know I’ve got your back partner,” Sandy said as we sat out in front of Sunridge Sweets having brunch. “I’m just not sure what we’re supposed to be doing.”

Sunbeam poured more sweet tea for everypony and said, “We’re supposed to be eating. Perhaps we’ll have more ideas once we’ve eaten.”

Velvet shook her head. “No disagreement here.”

I buttered and jammed a biscuit before starting to nibble on it. “You know, I hope we can still do this once all of the craziness is settled. I like spending time with all of you.”

Velvet shrugged. “I wasn’t sure about you at first and normally crazy romance schemes are really more of my roommate’s deal, but you’re alright.”

“Gee, thanks,” I replied around a mouthful of biscuit.

“You’ll have to forgive Velvet, sweetie, she sometimes doesn’t know the difference between a compliment and an insult. You’re always welcome here,” Sunbeam replied while Velvet glared at her.

Sandy grinned a bit and shook her head. “You know I’ll be there for you regardless but it would be nice to expand our circle of friends.”

There were nods of agreement all around before we settled into more serious eating. Pepper Ridge had made biscuits and they did not disappoint. By the time I’d had three I was actually feeling far more positive about life.

“Alright, ladies. We know Sunny has been avoiding me and we know Soarin didn’t force her to do that. What can we do about it?”

Sandy pondered that a moment before replying, “Well, you can’t force a pony to talk to you and it is unlikely you’ll have success tricking her into another meeting.”

“Oh, that is true,” Sunbeam agreed.

Velvet tapped her chin. “Well, then if she won’t talk to Azurite, who will she talk to?”

“Possibly anypony else but certainly not about Azurite. Maybe we’re working the wrong angle,” Sandy said.

Sunbeam drummed on the table before looking up. “Well… Soarin and Sunny had a talk before and came to this agreement without you Azurite. You said he mentioned missing her too. What if we could arrange that again?”

“That… actually makes sense. How do we get them to talk?” Velvet replied.

“We trick them into a conference room at the palace and lock the doors!” I chimed in.

“No, you silly filly! That would be super stressful and too obvious. This is going to take a light hoof.” Sandy replied.

“Oh, good point. So what then?” I ask.

Velvet put in, “Well… what if Soarin thought Sunny wanted to reconsider and mend fences?”

“Why would he think that?” Sunbeam asked.

The pink mare steepled her hooves and put on a devious look. “We’re going to make him think that!”

Sandy’s brow arched and she asked, “I thought you said this more your roommate’s thing?”

“She must have rubbed off on me,” Velvet replied with a grin.

I wasn’t against the idea. Take me out of the equation and work on Sunny and Soarin. They’d see they missed each other and once they were back together I’d be in, too. “Well, alright then. Where do we start?”

“A cake,” Sunbeam said plainly. “We’ll bake him an I’m Sorry cake and send it in Sunny’s name.”

“Yes! Yes, that exactly!” I chimed in. I liked the idea and, frankly, it meant I got cake, too. “Then what?”

“We wait and see what happens next,” Sandy said. “You’re going to be our ears and eyes on the inside. One step at a time. This might be too soon, too. Maybe wait a week before we send the cake? See how it is received and then send something else? Cards, gifts, and things that can be delivered. Nothing that would require Sunny to physically be there and things that we could send without Azurite’s knowledge so that she would be equally surprised.”

Sunbeam lit up. “Oh, how fun! It will be like a spy game.” Her eyes went wide and she looked over at me. “I’m so sorry, Azurite, I didn’t mean this is a game.”

I waved a hoof. “It’s fine, you’re baking me an I’m sorry cake!”

We all laughed and then settled in to hammer out the details of our ingenious plan.

♦♦♦

I leaned up against Soarin, my forehooves wrapped around one of his. He was so handsome and kind. When I’d gotten home from work on Friday he was waiting on me all clean and fresh. We’d gone out to our favorite broccoli cafe for dinner. Soarin had ordered way too much. There was enough left for a whole meal for one pony. That had required a brief stop home to drop off the leftovers before we went on to the big outdoor ampitheatre so we could watch a show.

Now we were being lazy and taking a taxi back to the Wonderbolt campus. “You’re a good stallionfriend,” I said up at him.

He smiled and leaned over to nose me. “I thought we deserved a little distraction. You did well at the show.”

“Yeah, sitting in the back helps. Plenty of room to run away. It was neat, I’ve never seen the Canterpony Tales before. It was racier than I’d heard! Who knew olden ponies were so dirty?”

Soarin chuckled and shrugged. “It was no worse than what is in books these days. I’m glad you liked it, though.”

“I did!”

We pulled up at the campus and hopped off the taxi. Once Soarin had paid we made our way to the dorm room. There was a big white rectangular box sitting out in front of the door.

“What’s that?” he asked, heading over.

“A box!” I replied, since I knew what it really was and would have had to lie and I don’t lie well.

Soarin snorted and playfully rolled his eyes. “You’re not helpful.” he said before flipping the lid open. “Oh it’s a cake!” His expression then changed as he read the writing on it, “I’m sorry Soarin.”

I trotted up by his side. The cake was beautiful. It was the color of Sunny’s coat and the lettering was pristine in his blue. “It smells delicious.” Another lie averted! Well played Azurite.

“Yeah…” he replied, closing the top. He picked the cake up and gave it to me before opening the door. “At least we have dessert.”

We went in together. I made for the kitchen immediately, he headed to the living room. Maybe he’d feel the sorry more once he tasted the cake. Otherwise I was thinking this one was a miss. I made two plates and floated him the one that said Soarin.

“See, for you!”

“I do see that,” he replied before starting to eat. “Wow… this is really good.”

“Yeah it is from Sunridge Sweets!” I exclaimed. Oh stupid Azurite!

Soarin’s brow lifted. “How do you know that?”

Think quick Azurite. You know their taste? You recognize the hoofwriting? No! Quick, show him your flank. Move! Some part of me move.

“The box!” I blurted.

“Huh?”

“On the box. It’s on the box. I recognize the logo because Sandy and I go there after we fly kites.”

He nodded in understanding. “Oh right. I remember you telling me about the place.”

Note to self, destroy the box immediately or draw a logo on it. Well… not immediately. There was cake to be consumed. I’m sure I could keep one stallion out of the kitchen.

“I could use some milk,” he said, standing up.

“Ahl gif it!” I practically choked before getting up and rushing back into the kitchen.

Soarin looked at me like I was crazy, which in all fairness I am, but not for this. When I got into the kitchen I looked for a place to move the cake to. I surrounded the tasty treat in my magic and lifted it out of the box while I went to the fridge for milk.

I got two glasses and started filling them while the cake circled precariously around my head looking for a hiding place. Why didn’t we have a cake tray? Are cake trays a real thing?

“Azurite, do you need help?” Soarin called from the living room.

“No!” I cried, almost a little desperately.

I threw open the little drawer under the stove, pulled out a baking sheet, set the cake on it, and put both in the oven. Then I levitated both glasses of milk and grabbed the box. I squeezed it flat and slammed it into the trash. Only then did I realize that it did, in fact, have a giant Sunridge Sweets logo on it.

“Crabapples!” I shouted.

Soarin’s head eased slowly around the corner as if he were afraid. “Are you sure you don’t need help?”

The milk lazily made its way over to the stallion. “Nope, all fine.”

“Where is the cake?”

“In the oven.”

“You know what, I’m not even going to ask.”

Author's Note:

This is an excellent plan! Totally going to work!

Companion Secrets of a Royal Guard Chapter: Conversations

Quill & Blade Universe
Mirror Site - In the event FIM Fiction is down / Patreon Rewards
Ask Us - Submit your questions for Anzel, Crystal, or their characters
Patreon - Love our work? Please consider supporting it on Patreon!