• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 581 Views, 43 Comments

Tavi and Vi - Master Koschei



The sequel to Octavius, set three years after those events. Octavius and Viny's relationship has grown and matured in the past three years. But on their three year anniversary, Octavius gets the biggest change yet.

  • ...
1
 43
 581

Chapter 22

FIVE YEARS LATER

“Hey, daddy?”

Octavius looked down at Key, who was walking along beside him in a cute black dress. Octavius smiled. “Yes, darling?”

“Where are we going, again?”

Octavius stopped in his tracks, Key stopping beside him. He smiled, but Key noticed it seemed to be a sad smile. “We’re going to see a friend, sweetheart.” Octavius slowly stood back up, taking Key’s little hand in his big one.

“Who?” Key looked up inquisitively at her father.

“Her name is Ditzy,” Octavius told her, his smile failing him. “She was one of me and mommy’s best friends.” He looked down to his daughter. “She was one of the first people to hold you when you were born.” Key giggled adorably. “She was one of the sweetest, most kind hearted, and friendliest people I’ve ever known.”

Key stopped walking, making Octavius stop with her. “Why haven’t I met her?”

Octavius tried to smile one more time, but couldn’t manage it. “Well, honey,” he started softly. “Not too long after you were born, Ditzy got really sick.” Key thought she saw a tear in her daddy’s eyes. “She forgot a lot of stuff, she couldn’t talk very well, and she got very sad.” Octavius pulled gently on Key’s hand, making her walk with him. “She saw you a few times when you were little, but you were too young to remember.”

Key looked at her daddy’s fancy clothing. “If we’re going to see your friend, why are we all dressed up?”

Octavius looked down at his own black suit and tie, then at Key’s dress and shiny black shoes. He took a deep breath, then sighed. “Key,” he said slowly. “Last week, Ditzy fell asleep.” Key definitely saw tears on her daddy’s face now. “And when she fell asleep… She didn’t wake up.” He swallowed hard. “She won’t ever wake up.” He looked down at his daughter. “We’re going to say goodbye to a wonderful person that I deeply regret not letting you get to know.” He placed a gentle hand on Key’s long black hair. “She would’ve adored you, you know.”

“Really?” Key took Octavius’ hand in her own. Octavius nodded. “I really wish I could’ve met her now.”

Octavius laughed softly. “When she would come over and see you,” he said, almost to himself. “She would always get so happy, smiling and laughing and playing with you. She’d ask how you were doing, how big you were, what you liked…” He wiped his eyes quickly. “Then one day, she didn’t. She just sat in her chair, staring blankly at the wall. We’d try to talk to her but she didn’t say anything.” He looked at Key. “But she adored you.”

The pair arrived at a large brick building with a dark brown wooden door and a few windows along the walls. Octavius opened up the door and allowed Key to go in front of him, following close behind her.

Key walked to the front row of chairs where Vinyl sat, wearing her own long black dress. When Vinyl saw Key coming, she quickly wiped her eyes and smiled at her daughter. “Hey there, sweetie,” she said, picking her daughter up and holding her in a tight hug. “How are you doing?”

“I’m ok,” Key replied. “Daddy said we’re saying goodbye to someone special.”

Vinyl nodded. “Do you see that long box up there?” Key nodded. “That’s where she’s gonna sleep from now on.” When Octavius sat next to Vinyl, she took his hand in hers and squeezed it. He looked at her and offered a small smile, but they both knew it wasn’t real.

David stood up in front of everyone, looking out over the small crowd. “Thank you all for coming,” he said loudly enough to be heard. “It really means a lot to me, and I’m sure it would’ve meant so much to Ditzy.” He cast a quick glance at the coffin behind him, then turned to face the group once more. “I’m not good at public speaking, but I need to say this.” He smiled at the crowd. “You were all her greatest friends, even at the end. She said, as she was laying in her bed, that she would miss you all. Dash, and Scootaloo, and Vinyl, and Octavius, and little Key.” He looked down at the little girl sitting with her parents. “She said she wouldn’t ever forget you, no matter what.”

Key smiled sweetly.

David addressed the crowd again. “If anyone wants to say anything, this is your chance.”

One by one, people stood to say their own goodbyes, to reflect on their memories with Ditzy, or to cry. Eventually, everyone was seated once again, some in tears, others eerily quiet. David took the center of attention again. “If the bearers would come forward, please.”

Octavius stood up, along with a few other men, moving to the front and positioning themselves around the casket. They counted to three, then lifted it up and slowly carried it past the spectators, some placing a hand on Ditzy’s folded ones while others simply watched her go by. Octavius noted that Ditzy was wearing her grey dress that she loved so much. They placed the casket in the waiting hearse, then closed the door.

Vinyl came outside, Key holding on to her mother’s hand. Vinyl and Octavius embraced each other, Vinyl starting to cry openly. Octavius slowly stroked her hair, quietly swaying with her. Finally, Vinyl looked up to Octavius with red eyes. “I’m gonna miss her so much, Octavius,” she said quietly.

“I know, Vinyl,” he said, pulling her close once more. “We all will.”

Key looked up at her parents. “Mommy?”

Vinyl wiped her eyes quickly before looking down to Key. “Yeah, dear?”

“I wish I could’ve known her,” Key said, looking down shyly. “You and daddy both say she was a good person, but I didn’t even know her.”

Vinyl laughed and picked up her daughter. “She knew you, you know,” she said, gently poking Key’s little nose. “David was right, Ditzy never forgot you.” She put her daughter on the ground again. “Even when things got bad for her, she always made sure to come see you on your birthday while she could, even if she forgot why she was there.” Vinyl laughed again. “She would look at us and ask why she was there. We’d tell her it was your birthday, and she would smile so big. She would say she knew that, and that she’d never forget it.” She smiled at key.

Key seemed to be thinking hard for a moment, then looked at Octavius. “Daddy?” She motioned him down, and he crouched in front of her. “When was Ditzy’s birthday?”

Octavius thought for a minute, then answered her. “It’s November 7th, why?”

“I want to go see her every year on her birthday, too.” She smiled at her parents. “That way we never forget each other!”

Author's Note:

And here's the finale. Wow, this took way too long to get out, and I am very sorry about that. I feel this is a good place to end this one, though. I hope you're all satisfied with it, and again, I'm really sorry this took so long. I'll be checking up on this every so often, so feel free to comment your thoughts and opinions and such.
Until next time!

Comments ( 1 )

Alright, I cried. Good job and thank you for taking the time to make this story. Looking forward to the others

Login or register to comment