• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 582 Views, 43 Comments

Tavi and Vi - Master Koschei



The sequel to Octavius, set three years after those events. Octavius and Viny's relationship has grown and matured in the past three years. But on their three year anniversary, Octavius gets the biggest change yet.

  • ...
1
 43
 582

Chapter 9

I look around from my wheelchair, observing everything. The birds singing in the trees, the clouds slowly drifting across the late Spring sky, and the man pushing me from behind. He’s always there, that nice man in his long tan coat and his messy brown hair. He’s very nice.

He comes to a stop, waiting for a walk symbol to cross the street. As we stand there, alone on this corner, I count seven cars passing us, two blue, two red, and three black ones. I feel the wind rushing by me as they pass, and then they’re gone, and we’re across the street, continuing on our walk.

We’d just gotten back from seeing my friend with the blue hair. I’d forgotten her name a while ago, but the man in the coat told me to call her ‘Vinyl’. It was honestly a very odd name for someone to have. I assumed it was a stage name or something like that.

“Ditzy,” says the man behind me. I turned to look at him, squinting my eyes against the bright sun hanging high in the sky. “Who would you like to see now?”

I think for a moment. I search my mind for anyone left that I want to visit. But I can’t remember anyone. I look to the man and shake my head. “I’d prefer to have some lunch, please,” I say, though I know it doesn’t come out that clearly. I cannot stand this infernal impediment of mine. It frustrates me to no end, yet here I am dying because my brain is too stupid to keep on living.

“We can get lunch,” the man says with a smile. We continue down the street and arrive at a small diner. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think someone I like lives here. We walk inside and meet a woman with rainbow colored hair. She smiles as she sees us.

“Hey there, you guys!” She rushes up to the man and hugs him, a gesture that he returns. A girl with purple hair emerges from the back, walking up to me and patting my leg.

“Hey, Ditzy,” she says. I’m curious how she knows my name. I look to the man behind me for help, not knowing what to say.

“Ditzy, don’t you remember Scootaloo?” The man walks around me and places a hand on the girls shoulder. I squint in concentration, and somewhere in the remains of my mind, I remember this girl, her cocky smile and brash attitude. I look up at the man and nod with a smile.

“It’s great to see you,” Scootaloo says. She pats my leg again, and I take her hand in mine and give it a squeeze. “How are you feeling?”

I stop and think. How am I feeling? Well, I can’t stand not being able to talk; I knew this girl, but for the life of me I can’t remember her name anymore; some strange man who I feel like I’ve known a long time is pushing me around a strange city in a wheelchair I don’t remember sitting in. I consider her question a bit longer before answering her.

“I feel good.”

She smiles again. “That’s good!”

The man who’s always with me smiles at her, suggesting she go play with her friends. She nods and runs out of the diner, leaving me alone with the man and woman. They exchange a few whispers, but they’re looking at me, so I know what they’re talking about. I choose to ignore them, looking instead out of the large window. I count five cars passing by as I wait. Finally, the man clears his throat.

“Ditzy,” he starts. “This is Dash. Do you know her?”

I think for a moment, trying hard to remember. Finally, flashes of a rainbow tied to a smile come to me, and I nod. The man smiles with a small sigh of relief. The woman smiles as well, kneeling in front of me. “Hey, hun,” she says quietly, taking one of my hands in hers. “I heard you wanted to see me. Well, believe it or not I wanted to see you, too. I got something for ya.”

She disappears into what I assume is a kitchen, and a few moments later returns with a cupcake with a large candle shaped like a twenty on it.

I look at her curiously, then at the man. “What is this for?” I look to them once more for an answer.

The man smiles down at me. “It’s your birthday today, Ditzy.”

It’s not my birthday. I know that much. My birthday is in November. I don’t remember the exact day anymore, but I remember that month always excited me. But I take the cupcake anyway. As I carefully peel off the wrapper after blowing out the candle, the rainbow haired woman whose name escapes me tell me someone named ‘Pinkie’ made the treat. I don’t know who this ‘Pinkie’ woman is, but as I bite into the desert, i immediately wish I did know her. Whoever she is, she can bake like nobody’s business!

The man and woman exchange a few more words, and then I’m told to say goodbye to ‘Dash’.

“See ya, Ditzy,” she tells me, rubbing my arm sweetly. I smile at her and wave my free hand, still eating my cupcake. It’s chocolate.

The man wheels me out, back into the sunlight. I like to listen to the birds singing in the trees, and I like to feel the wind blow through my hair. I like to watch the cars pass us by, and I like to look at clouds to try to see shapes.

And I like this man behind me. This tall man in his long tan coat and his blue suits with the funny shoes. He’s very nice.

Author's Note:

I don't have a whole lot to say this time. I really want to know what you guys think. I hope you enjoy this change of pace. Let me know if you liked it, and if you didn't, I'd love to know why. On a side note, I'm thinking weekly updates, or as close as I can get them, are how I'll be doing this. It gives me time to reflect on what's happened in the story so far. I hope that's alright.