• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 581 Views, 43 Comments

Tavi and Vi - Master Koschei



The sequel to Octavius, set three years after those events. Octavius and Viny's relationship has grown and matured in the past three years. But on their three year anniversary, Octavius gets the biggest change yet.

  • ...
1
 43
 581

Chapter 2

Octavius lay in his bed, staring up at the ceiling of his room. Vinyl had gone out with Dash and Ditzy for a ‘girl’s night’, as they had put it. David mentioned something about a new movie playing that he wanted to see. He had invited Octavius, but the cellist had politely declined. Right now, all he wanted was to be alone with his thoughts.

He still had a hard time accepting the fact that he was going to be a father to a child. He knew he should feel excited and happy, yet all he felt was afraid. He hadn’t had a panic attack in months, yet that pregnancy test had nearly thrown him into a bad one. He had held it together for the most part, but he knew he couldn’t last forever.

He took a deep breath and shut his eyes, relaxing slightly.

Why’re you so afraid? You’re going to be a father! You should be out celebrating, not alone pouting.

Octavius groaned, pulling a pillow onto his face.

You’re worried you won’t be good enough.

He rolled onto his side, tossing the defenseless pillow against the wall.

Don’t get your panties in a wad. You’ll be a great dad! If Vinyl had any doubt in her mind about this, would she have chosen to tell you in front of everyone? She’s proud to be having your child. She’s extremely happy about it, and here you are, moping like a child who can’t have desert.

Octavius rotated onto his back, staring once more at the ceiling. He knew Vinyl was happy and proud. She wanted everyone to know that she was pregnant with Octavius’ child.

So why are you so upset?

Octavius groaned again, standing up and walking down to the kitchen. He pulled out some bread and peanut butter, deciding a sandwich might help him somehow. He grabbed a knife out of the drawer under the sink, then spread the peanut butter onto a slice of bread. He took one bite of it, and decided he wasn’t hungry. He put everything back in its proper place, placing the sandwich on a plate and sticking it in the fridge.

He thought about going upstairs, but knew all that would accomplish was more pillow throwing. Instead, he flopped out on the couch, grabbing the remote and powering the TV on. There was some Christmas movie playing, but he really didn’t pay it much attention. He started to wonder what being a father would be like. Would the child like him? Would they be happy? Cared for and given all they needed? What if the child hated him? What if he wasn’t good enough? What if –

STOP.

Octavius froze, realizing he had been hyperventilating. He tried to slow down his breathing, closing his eyes. His heartbeat hammered loudly in his ears, drowning out the movie on the TV. After a couple of minutes, he had calmed down enough to open his eyes again.

You’ll be fine. Just relax, and let things happen as they will.

Octavius stared blankly at the TV, finally feeling his exhaustion catching up with him. However, just before he drifted off, the front door unlocked, and in strode Vinyl. She turned and waved with a smile out the door, presumably at Dash and Ditzy. She swung the door shut, turning the lock back into place. She looked at him on the couch, and her smile fell slightly.

“Hey, you,” she said quietly, walking over to Octavius. He sat up, allowing her to sit by him. “How ya holdin’ up?”

Octavius nodded slowly, smiling weakly at her. “I’m doing alright. Today’s just been a bit much to fully grasp.” He took the remote and turned off the TV, then faced the DJ once more. He slowly reached up and pulled off her sunglasses. The room was dark, so she wouldn’t be hurt. He stared deeply into her dark red eyes, losing himself in them momentarily.

He took a deep breath, closing his eyes to steady himself, then met her gaze once more. “Violet,” he started. “This is very unexpected. We weren’t even planning on having a child for quite some time. When I saw that pregnancy test, I nearly lost it. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I’ve been sitting here since you guys left, freaking out and wondering what I’m going to do now. I really didn’t think I’d be ready for this.”

Vinyl opened her mouth to speak, but Octavius cut her off by raising his hand. “But,” he said, his smile broadening. “I’ve come to a realization; as long as you’re by my side, I can face any challenge. Even being a father.”

Vinyl sat staring at the man in silence. At first he thought he might have upset her somehow, but then the DJ pulled him into a rib-crushing hug. “Oh, Tavi!” She leaned back and smiled at him. “I’m so glad to hear you say that!”

Octavius hugged her back tightly, then pulled away. “So,” he said. “When is it due?”

“I’d guess sometime in August, September at the latest.” The woman looked down at her belly, then back up to Octavius. “I still can’t believe I’m going to be a mother.”

Octavius rolled his eyes. “Oh, sure, make this all about you,” he mockingly complained. She pouted her lip out cutely, crossing her arms over her chest. The cellist laughed quietly. “Vinyl, the girls were falling all over themselves to spend time with the mommy-to-be. I heard them suggesting names and guessing the gender. I swear Scootaloo and Ditzy made a bet on that.”

Vinyl giggled and nodded. “Ditzy thinks it’ll be a cute little baby girl, but Scootaloo thinks it’ll be a cool baby boy.” She looked at Octavius questioningly. “Which would you like, Tavi? A boy or a girl?”

Octavius sat and thought for a moment, then smiled warmly at Vinyl. “I’d want a baby girl, so I can spoil her and team up with her against her tyrannical mother.” He grinned at the evil look that Vinyl shot him. “Plus, I remember what I was like in my youth, at least before my father decided I was going to be the perfect little cellist he always wanted. I don’t want to be on the receiving end of that.” Octavius let a mock shudder run through his body.

Vinyl seemed to ponder this, then grinned at him. “Yeah, I guess a little girl would be pretty nice. Though personally, I’d want a boy.”

“Why is that?” Octavius tilted his head curiously.

“So I can finally have a man around the house!” Octavius scowled as Vinyl howled with laughter. “Oh, come on, lighten up, Tavi,” she said when he kept glaring at her. “It was just a joke.

“But seriously, I’d want a boy,” she continued. “Ever since I was younger, I knew I wanted a boy first. That way, if I had a second child and it was a girl, she had a big brother who would always look out for her. Someone to protect her from the bullies at school who would make fun of her just because she was a little different.” She smiled sadly and wiped a tear away, then cleared her throat and looked up at Octavius. “So yeah, boy for me.”

Octavius smiled. “Alright, well we will see who’s right in a few months, then.”

“I guess we will,” Vinyl returned his smile, then yawned, stretching her arms up high then relaxing again. “Boy, I’m beat! Dash and Ditzy gave me no breaks today! I guess they don’t know pregnant lady’s can’t always move like they used to.” She turned her gaze to Octavius. “You comin’ up to bed?’ She slid her glasses onto her face.

Octavius nodded, standing with her. “Right behind you, dearest.”

Author's Note:

I really hope you guys like where the story is going so far. As always, comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.