• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 5,645 Views, 578 Comments

The Girl That Never Was - Onomonopia



To unlock the secrets of Equestria, one must bear the key.

  • ...
16
 578
 5,645

Party Pony

The confetti lead the two beings of the darkness to the pink party pony, who was fending off a swarm of heartless with cakes, cookies and a giant cannon that fired giant blasts of confetti into the faces of the heartless. Xion came skidding to a stop at the top of a ridge that looked down over where the battle was taking place, allowing Xion a moment to gather her breath while surveying the situation.

'Pinkie seems to be handling the situation pretty well,' Sombra muttered from Xion's left hand as the two of them watched Pinkie flip over two of the Shadows and drop a party bomb onto them, which then exploded into candy and streamers while the Heartless flew into the air.

"She's fending them off, but she's failing to actually hurt any of them," Xion replied to Sombra as she pointed at the Heartless that had been sent flying. They both crashed into the ground, but a moment later were back up and battling with the pink horse again with no injuries. "Just like I said, the Heartless can't be hurt with everyday weaponry. Either the keyblade or some form of magic is needed to hurt them. This is a loosing battling for Pinkie."

'Well are we going to sit up here and watch her be consumed by the darkness? Or are you going to be a hero and get down in there to save her? Because I know where my vote goes.'

Xion summoned her keyblade and leapt down into the fray, hurling the blade of light into the horde of Heartless. it cleaved them into shreds and caused three of them to vanish, while the others were knocked back from the pink pony. Xion landed next to Pinkie and extended her hand, summoning the keyblade back into her grasp before she took up a fighting stance.

"You alright?" Xion asked Pinkie, who nodded her head with a smile as she gazed up at Xion. Pinkie's face filled with confusion as she looked at Xion, before she rubbed her eyes and turned her attention back to the Heartless. "Your cannon and weapons can't harm them. But they can keep the Heartless distracted. If you can keep them busy I can finish them off."

"Sounds like a plan, mysterious person! Let's send these beings of darkness crying home to their mommy's!" Pinkie laughed before throwing numerous pies that she had been concealing somewhere. Each of her pies caught one of the Heartless in the face, making it so the entire swarm was covered in an assortment of flavors and cream. Xion was upon the Heartless in a second, slashing through the Shadows with a merciless precision. In one swift motion she disappeared from Pinkie's side and appeared on the other side of the Heartless, twirling her blade once before driving the tip into the ground. When she did so, all of the Heartless exploded into darkness, leaving only toppings and fruity filling behind.

'Well that takes care of that. Think that was all of them?' Sombra asked Xion as the puppet banished her keyblade, before she lifted her hood and covered her head with it.

"Doubtful. Where there is one Heartless there is generally hundreds more," Xion replied as she turned to leave, only to take a step back in surprise when she found the pink pony with the poofy mane standing in front of her. "Um, can I help you?"

"Hi there! I'm Pinkie Pie! Nice to meet you!" Pinkie said with a smile as she extended a hoof to Xion. Xion stared at it for a moment before she gently reached out and shook Pinkie's hoof. The pink pony then started to bounce around Xion, who had to constantly turn so that her eyes weren't off Pinkie for even a moment. "I've never seen anypony like you before! But you don't look like a pony. Are you new to these lands? And are you that cloaked being that Twilight told us all about?"

"Slow down and one question at a time, please," Xion replied as she tried to process all of the questions at once, but Pinkie was too busy asking more questions to hear Xion's request.

'What did I tell you? She has two settings. Intense and get her off of me,' Sombra cackled from within Xion's pocket and Xion understood perfectly why Sombra had warned her. After another minute of asking questions, Pinkie finally paused for a breath and allowed Xion a chance to cut in.

"Look, Pinkie, I appreciate you being so...talkative, but you need to get away from this place. This is no place for a being of light like yourself," Xion told Pinkie while surveying the area, finding the entrance to a cave in the stone walls.

"What do you mean?" Pinkie asked Xion as Xion was walking away from Pinkie. When Xion didn't answer, Pinkie zipped over to her side and walked alongside the puppet, much to Xion's annoyance. "What were those things? You called them Heartless, but a being can't have a heart? But what if they don't? Does that mean they can laugh? They can't enjoy parties?! What kind of life is that?!"

"Pinkie," Xion said in a far more serious tone, getting Pinkie to look up at Xion once more. Yet this time Xion noticed that Pinkie was squinting her eyes at Xion's face, almost like she was trying to see something. "You can't be here. These Heartless will tear out your heart and turn you into one of them. Not only would that make someone I hate very happy, but it would also mean that your friends would lose you. And I won't let any other friendships be ruined."

"Thanks for thinking of me, but I'm a protector of Equestria. And these Heartless have been real big meanies and somepony needs to teach them some manners. And I'm the only pony around here that seems to be able to. At least, until I met you," Pinkie replied, getting Xion to sigh in exasperation. "So I need to help these ponies fight the darkness. Because it seems this darkness is way, way worse than any other we've faced. And one time Flim and Flam tried to outlaw smiles! Which was terrible!"

'I warned you,' Sombra added in.

Xion wanted to argue, but at that moment the three of them reached the entrance to the cave. Xion narrowed her eyes and stared into the darkness, gritting her teeth as she felt something both dark and powerful within the depths. But knowing that she needed to get rid of all of the Heartless to get what Sombra needed, Xion summoned her keyblade once more and marched into the depths.

"Fire," she muttered and caught the end of her blade alight, allowing some light to fill the depths of darkness. The cave entrance hadn't done the cavern within any favors, as the space that Xion, Sombra and Pinkie found themselves in was massive, with numerous branching paths. In the middle of the giant cavern was a massive gate, one that was held tight with chains. "Why do I have a feeling that whatever we're here to fight is behind that gate?"

'Can't you just open it with your keyblade? Like you've done every other lock we've come across?' Sombra asked, only for Xion to shake her head.

"You see a lock on that thing? No, looks like the only way to open it is to go down these side paths and destroy whatever is within them that's holding up that gate," Xion said with an experts opinion, remembering times that she had to do similar tasks in the past.

"Okay then, what do you need me to do, stranger?" Pinkie asked Xion, who looked down to see that Pinkie had followed her into the cavern. "Fight more of the Heartless? Use my Pinkie sense to figure out which paths we need to go down? Cupcake?" Pinkie finished as she offered a cupcake to the puppet.

"No, what and sure," Xion replied as she took the cupcake from Pinkie, placing it in her inventory for later. "Pinkie, what I want you to do is go back to the surface and stay out of this. I will not risk losing your heart to the Heartless. Let me deal with this."

"Alright then, miss bossy, I'll leave you alone if you can answer me a simple question. Which of these paths contain whatever it is you're looking for?" Pinkie asked Xion. Xion wanted to answer right away, but as she looked at the numerous paths, some of which branched off even further, she realized that she had no idea how to proceed any further. "See, you have no idea where to go. But with my Pinkie sense, I can figure out which of these paths you need to go down! I can help!"

"And I'm really supposed to believe that you have a special ability that would allow you to find your way in all of this?" Xion asked in a disbelieving tone.

'You mock her, but she's the weirdest out of her friends and I don't just mean her personality. Remember those strange powers I told you about?' Sombra reminded Xion. 'Yeah, one of them seems to be this strange sense of hers that allows her to do practically whatever she wants. Annoying, but useful.'

"But it's too dangerous. She could lose her heart," Xion replied to Sombra while Pinkie watched the being in the cloak argue with herself, not at all bothered by it. She'd lost a few arguments to herself before as well.

'Again, you underestimate the Ambassadors of Harmony. I thought that they were just six idiots with a power they didn't know how to use and then they blew me up. Just because they don't have the keyblade doesn't mean they can't be useful. Not to mention I don't care in the slightest if Pinkie loses her heart or gets ripped apart, but time is of the essence and right now you don't know jack about this cave. We need her help and if I can admit that, so can you.'

"I hate it when you're right. Good thing that's not often," Xion grumbled to herself before glancing over at Pinkie, who still wore a smile on her face. "Alright then, Pinkie, I guess you can show us-ME to where we need to go. But after that I need you to promise that you'll leave this cave and the Heartless to me. Alright?"

"Okay, I promise," Pinkie replied in a deadpan tone.

'Make her Pinkie promise,' Sombra added on, but Xion chose to ignore him and motioned for Pinkie to lead the way. Without a seconds delay Pinkie bounced into one of the tunnels and motioned for Xion to follow her, which the puppet did so with a sigh.

Xion had been expecting traps or Heartless or numerous other things, but the tunnel was surprisingly empty aside from the occasional strange rock or glowing mushrooms growing out of the walls. The pair reached the end of the tunnel to find a strange sphere floating in the air, one that was filled with the power of darkness. Xion narrowed her eyes before a single swing of her blade cleaved the sphere in two, causing it to burst apart in a shower of light.

"One down," Xion muttered to herself as she heard what sounded like a chain breaking, figuring that the sphere had been connected to the door. Xion then glanced down at Pinkie, who was smiling up at Xion with a happy look on her face. "Thanks. Think you can lead me to the other ones?"

"No problem! There's only four left anyway!" Pinkie pointed out as she started to hop along at a much faster pace, making Xion wonder how Pinkie knew all of the things she did.

'Don't question it or you may end up driving yourself insane, which would be bad for me,' Sombra muttered to Xion, who decided this time to take his advice.

Pinkie lead Xion down another tunnel, one that was hardly different than the one they had just been down. But this time Pinkie warned Xion in advance to crouch as they walked through the tunnel. Xion did so, though she saw nothing in the dark tunnel that gave her a reason to crouch down. At the end of the tunnel was another sphere of darkness, same as the first.

"Alright, let's deal with you," Xion muttered before her blade flashed in the darkness, cleaving the sphere in half and causing the sound of a chain breaking to echo throughout the cavern. As she turned and started to walk back down the tunnel Xion said, "Two more to go and then we can figure out what-"

"GET DOWN!"

With a speed Xion couldn't begin to fathom she was tackled to the ground by a pink blur, landing on her back just in time to see two blades of shattered magic slash through the air where she had been standing a moment ago. Xion blinked twice as the recognition began to sink in, while Pinkie rose to her hooves and glared at where the blades had come from. She then offered a hoof to Xion, who took it and was pulled back up to her feet.

"Um, thanks," Xion weakly said, still trying to process what had just happened. "How did you know that the blades were there? I didn't see any indication that told me."

"Pinkie sense. It has a warning for all sorts of dangers. But I will admit, that was a new feeling," Pinkie admitted as she shivered slightly in place. "I've never had such a cold, loathsome feeling course through my body before. Whoever made those traps has no ounce of remorse or kindness in their body. Scary...oh well, let's keep moving! Just two to go!"

Pinkie bounded ahead happily, humming her tune to herself as she did so. Xion didn't follow after her right away and instead pulled out Sombra's horn and looked down at it with a nervous expression on her face. "That power...that was the Maestro's power, wasn't it?"

'Yeah. And had Pinkie not stepped in, you'd be missing your pretty little head,' Sombra said in a low voice, one that made Xion shiver slightly. 'So this entire area has been his doing. Which means there's probably a reason for the door and all of the spheres. But what gets me is why would he use chains on the door and what could possibly be behind it?'

"It couldn't be a Heartless, could it?" Xion asked Sombra, who gave no reply. "I mean, the Heartless can travel anywhere through the dark corridor, so it's impossible to actually trap one of them. But then again, I thought it would be impossible to bring me back to life and somehow he managed to do it."

'Well we won't know what's in there until we open the door, won't we?' Sombra asked with one of his cackles, but when Xion didn't respond he ceased laughing. 'Look, whatever it is I know you can handle it. You were picked to be my student after all, so if you lose to whatever abomination that freak thought up, I will be very disappointed. So if you can't win for you, do it for me.'

"And that's supposed to motivate me?" Xion asked with a small chuckle before she saw Pinkie bound back into view. "You're right Sombra. I've got to face whatever it is that Maestro has in store for me. After all, if I can't beat his henchmen, how in the worlds am I supposed to defeat him?"

'Now you're thinking like my student. Onward!'

Xion followed Pinkie into the next tunnel, this time listening to her advice and doing everything she told her to do. At the end of that tunnel was another sphere of darkness and like the other two it went down in a single strike. The two moved carefully back to the front of the tunnel, before Xion tossed her blade inside to trigger the traps so that no curious pony would get caught in there in the future. One that was done, she and Pinkie returned to the main room, where to their surprise they found the final sphere floating in the middle of the room.

"Well, that makes this easy. There are no traps, right?" Xion asked Pinkie, having learned her lesson.

"No, I don't think so..." Pinkie replied with a confused expression before she shook her head and glanced up at Xion, who was starting to move towards the sphere with her blade drawn back. "You know, you never did tell me your name."

"What?" Xion asked as she stopped her approach to the sphere and looked back at Pinkie, who was looking at Xion with a curious expression on her face.

"I mean, I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything, but we've been helping each other through all of this and I don't even know your name," Pinkie told Xion with a curious glance.

"Why do you care so much about the name of a nobody like me?" Xion asked Pinkie, before spinning around and slashing through the final sphere. As it exploded into light, the final chain snapped around the door and the metal door fell over with a loud boom. Xion took up a fighting stance while Pinkie pulled out her party cannon, but after a tense moment nothing came out. "I don't get it, was something supposed to-"

'XION!' Sombra roared right before a wall of darkness appeared before the puppet. The moment it did so three pieces of ice embedded themselves in the dark wall, puncturing it and leaving their tips just inches away from Xion's face. As the wall of darkness fell Xion and Pinkie could both see that know someone else was in the room with them.

They wore a cloak identical to Xion's, except that the hood completely covered their face. They were taller than Xion and had more of a build, but other than that there was no features for the two to discern. But what drew Xion's eyes, and made her body go cold, was the weapon it held in its left hand. A bright, blue shield with spikes at the top.

"There's...no way..." Xion whispered to herself as the being took up a stance and began to walk towards her. "You shouldn't be here! You were destroyed!"

'You dared to defy me, your creator,' the being replied before it pointed its right hand at Xion, a hand that became filled with ice. 'And for that you will freeze for eternity!'