• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 5,632 Views, 578 Comments

The Girl That Never Was - Onomonopia



To unlock the secrets of Equestria, one must bear the key.

  • ...
16
 578
 5,632

The Luna Diviner

"Moon! Shine down!"

Darkness covered the skies above the ponies heads, blotting out the sun while a moon in the shape of a heart formed above them. The moon seemed to drain the light more than it did shine with light, while Saix floated into the air. He absorbed the lunar power into his body, before swinging his claymore out and causing spikes to erupt along its end. His eyes filled with a feral power and a nasty snarl crossed his face. He landed next to the cloaked boy, who drew forth his Oblivion and held it at his side.

"You jerk. Only my sister and I get to control the moon around here!" Celestia roared before she fired a blast of solar magic towards Saix. Yet to her amazement Saix took the beam right in the chest, before he started to walk through the beam towards the princess of the sun. "Okay Xion, an explanation for what the hell just happened would be nice!"

"He's in his berserker form! We won't be able to harm him until he calms down!" Xion informed the others. "Stay out of his range and stay off the ground if you can! Saix has trouble dealing with airborne foes!"

The Ambassadors and the princess nodded, with those of them that could taking to the skies. Twilight used her magic to construct a platform for the others to stand on before creating one for Xion as well, but right as Xion was about to hop on a claymore ripped past her head and shattered the rainbow platform.

"You will not escape me this time!" Saix roared as he came charging towards Xion. He slashed the claymore to his left and right as he ran, creating shockwaves of lunar power across the ground. Xion backflipped into a handstand to avoid being hit, before she rolled to the side as Saix hurled his claymore at her. He summoned the claymore back to him, yet when Xion turned around to grab the copy that was supposed to be behind her, she realized that there was no copy.

"Did you think I would not learn?" Saix asked, getting Xion to face the berserker with narrowed eyes. "Maestro informed me of how Sora was able to beat me in the other realities, by using my own weapon against me. So now I have prevented any chance of you laying hands on my weapon!"

As he said this he hurled himself into the air and came crashing down, striking the Claymore into the earth for all he was worth. The shockwave generated by the impact was far too large for Xion to roll out of the way of, so all she could do was watch with terror filled eyes as the wall of lunar power came crashing towards her.

That was until a rainbow blur wrapped its arms around her arms and yanked her into the sky, getting her over the shockwave before it could crush her. Xion glanced over her shoulder to see a rainbow Pegasus holding her up, smirking down at Xion while Saix howled with fury.

"I seem to be saving you a lot, don't I?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Hey, I'm not complaining," Xion replied before she summoned twin balls of fire into her hands, which she then aimed at Saix. The fireballs came crashing down on him from the sky, forcing him to take shelter behind his claymore. "Alright, we've got him on the ropes! See if you can get behind is weapon and I'll-"

Xion was cut off as a chill went down her spine, a chill that told her to look behind her. She glanced over her shoulder just in time to see the boy in the black cloak appear behind Rainbow Dash, with the Oblivion keyblade held over his head.

"Dash!" Xion roared before she thrust her hands towards the boy, creating a barrier around the two of them. The cloaked boy struck the barrier with his keyblade and shattered it, sending the pony and the girl crashing into the ground. Xion was the first to get back to her feet, just in time to see the cloaked boy land and come racing towards her.

"Hang on Xion, I've got your back," Rainbow told Xion as she rose to her hooves, but at that moment Xion glanced over at Saix to see that his lunar aura had faded from his body and he was breathing heavily.

"No!" Xion roared at Rainbow Dash, stopping her in her tracks. "Saix is out of lunar power right now! This might be the only chance you have to take him down! I'll deal with this guy, you all just focus your efforts on Saix!"

Rainbow Dash didn't look happy with Xion's words, but when she glanced over to see the other Ambassadors battling with Saix she realized Xion was right. Rainbow took off and engaged Saix as well, while Xion stared down the boy in the cloak that was slowly walking towards her.

"Roxas, I know that you're still in there," Xion said in a pleading voice. Once again the name Roxas seemed to stop the boy in his tracks and he tilted his head to the side, as if confused. "I don't know what Saix or Maestro did to you, but I promise you that we'll fight it together. I left your side once. I'm never going to do it again. Please, let me help you."

For a brief moment the cloaked being considered her offer. Then he lunged forward and slashed at Xion diagonally. Xion rolled to the side to avoid being hit and came up with a word of fire on her lips, sending a fireball flying from her hand and towards the being. He twirled to the left and the fireball went over his shoulder, before he thrust the keyblade at Xion's chest. Xion took the strike in the center of her gut and felt pain flash through her body.

"Barrier!" she cried out, trying to get some space between her and the cloaked being as a sphere of magic surrounded her. The cloak being was upon the sphere in a moment, hammering on it with the keyblade. Cracks began to form around the barrier with each strike and Xion knew that it would only be a few more moments until the barrier gave out.

She spent that moment looking over at how the other ponies were doing. Saix was roaring with fury and slashing at the rainbow ponies with reckless abandon, but with their speed and magic the ponies were able to avoid his strikes. And every time Saix would swing and miss, one of the Ambassadors would blast him with a ray of rainbow magic. The same rainbow magic that had nearly slain Xion and, from the way Saix's body smoked after each it, the same magic that would slay him.

The sound of her barrier shattering brought Xion's attention back to the being in front of her and she turned her gaze forward in time to see the Oblivion being thrust at her chest once more, this time with the full intent to kill. And it would have, had its wielder not taken a blast of solar magic to the chest with such force that he was hurled across the field and out of sight from Xion. Xion glanced up to see Celestia landing next to her, a smirk upon her face.

"Well, I'm glad to see that my solar magic still affects some of my foes," Celestia said as she used her magic to help Xion to her feet. Xion flashed Celestia a grateful look before the sky above them somehow seemed to go ever darker. Both Celestia and Xion turned their gaze towards Saix, who was consumed with lunar magic, so much so that his eyes were completely white. With a roar he lifted his claymore aloft, channeling all of the lunar magic into it.

"ALL SHALL BE LOST TO YOU!" he roared with enough power to shake the ground.

Yet that lunar power was then overshadowed by a light that cleared away the dark skies, a light filled with all of the colors of the rainbow. Xion turned her gaze to see Twilight and her friends all floating next to one another, with a rainbow magic wrapped around them the likes of which Xion had never seen. Saix let out a howl of madness as he lunged towards the six with enough power to shatter the earth beneath him, but then the six retaliated by firing a blast of rainbow light that instantly consumed Saix, whose howls were lost within the light.

The light the went crashing into the ground, where it then shot into the sky and returned the day to the sky. The six ponies cancelled the rainbow light and allowed it to vanish, revealing that Saix had managed to survive the attack. His body was smoldering and he could barely stand, yet there was still the look of madness in his eyes.

"One more shot shall put an end to you," Twilight spoke with certainty as she and the other five channeled their magic once more. Saix shakily lifted his weapon to defend himself, but all parties knew it would be useless against the rainbow light. With another explosion of color the rainbow magic came cascading down upon Saix, but before it could strike him the cloak boy landed in front of the magical onslaught.

The cloaked boy slammed the end of his keyblade into the ground and created a barrier around himself, one that he used to block the rainbow magic. The barrier barely lasted for more than a few seconds under such powerful magic, but those few seconds were all that Saix needed to get out of the way of the blast. The moment he was clear, the barrier shattered and the boy was consumed by the rainbow light.

"ROXAS!" Xion cried out in terror as she tried to run to his side, but Celestia grabbed her and held her back. For a moment the rainbow light consumed the spot where he had been standing, only to vanish when the six Ambassadors cut the power. Yet when the light died down, to the horror of all, they found the cloak boy still standing there...without a scratch on him.

"That...isn't possible," Celestia whispered with disbelief. The Ambassadors shared the same loo of utter bafflement that Celestia wore and even the cloaked boy himself glanced down at his hands, seemingly surprised that he had suffered no wounds. Yet an instant later he was on the attack once more, thrusting the keyblade over his head once more.

A ball of darkness and energy appeared over the six, who were suddenly yanked to the ground as if gravity had increased a hundred fold for them. There they were pinned, leaving them completely open to attack. The boy then lifted his keyblade once more, before he leapt into the air and drove his keyblade into the ground in the center of the circle that the pinned Ambassadors made. A keyhole appeared where he drove in his blade and all around the six formed a circle of light and power.

The keyblade wielder then turned his keyblade to the left, causing the circle to erupt with a light the likes of which Equestria had never seen. The Ambassadors were consumed by the light and sent hurtling away from each other, where they all crashed to the ground and their rainbow light went out.

"W-what just happened?" Twilight asked as she shakily got to her hooves, the only one of the six able to stand. "What was that light? It...it was stronger than our Rainbow Power!"

The cloaked boy noticed that Twilight was the first to her hooves, so he turned towards her and slowly began to approach the pony. Twilight shot a blast of magic out of her horn in desperation, only for it to be swatted to the side by the keyblade. Celestia let out a war cry before she threw herself at the cloaked boy, who turned and slashed at her as she approached. Celestia moved out of the way of the strike, but in doing so left herself open to be struck in the side by a claymore. With a cry of pain Celestia went crashing into the ground, where she didn't get up.

"You six are indeed powerful. In fact, had you been fighting me alone perhaps you may have actually managed to beat me. But fortunately for me, I brought our most powerful weapon," Saix said in a tired, but victorious, tone as he gazed around and the fallen ponies, save for Twilight. Then he turned his gaze towards Xion. "And you, Xion, I want you to watch this. Watch as those you fought so hard to protect and formed a friendship with fall one at a time...starting with her."

The cloaked boy resumed his walk towards Twilight, who started to hobble backwards to try and get as much distance between her and the cloaked boy as she could. Yet she found out quickly that Saix had created a barrier around the battlefield, one that prevented the purple pony from leaving. All Twilight could do was watch as the cloaked boy came closer and closer, pointing Twilight's oblivion at her.

'What should I do? What can I do?' Xion asked herself, knowing that she only had a few seconds left to act. 'I can't fight either of them, yet if I don't do something they'll all be slain and their hearts taken! I'm...afraid...so this is what fear truly feels like. Fear and helplessness...no, I promised that I wouldn't let anything happen to them! I won't let Maestro win!'

With a roar of fury Xion lunged towards the cloaked boy, who turned to face the oncoming threat. Twilight tried to use the opening as a chance to shoot the cloaked boy in the back, but a claymore to her side put that idea and the pony down for the count. Xion summoned all of the light power that she had within her before firing radiant crystals of ice towards the cloak boy, who cleaved through them with his keyblade. She fired a massive one with all of her power towards the cloaked boy, but this time he lunged forward and sliced clean through it before landing right in front of Xion...before he drove the tip of his blade into her chest.

"This must be so painful for you," Saix taunted from the side as a circle of light appeared on Xion's chest. "Losing your heart twice in the same week. But do not worry Xion. This time, when you are reborn as a proper Nobody, I promise that I will take excellent care of you...as one of my servants."

'Is this...really it this time?' Xion asked herself as everything seemed to slow down around her. She could feel her heart being pulled from her body, only this time she knew that she was truly losing it for good. 'No Sombra to save me. No keyblade to fight back with. And...no friends to aid me. This really is it.'

Then Xion looked around at the fallen ponies and each one made a memory come back to her. How Fluttershy had been the first pony to be kind to her. How Pinkie had tried her hardest to be her friend. How Rarity had bought new clothes for Xion and how Rainbow had fought Xaldin alongside her. Applejack had given her a chance to relax and Twilight had given her shelter. And even at that moment they had done everything in their power to fight Xion's past and her foes, despite not owing her anything.

'No. My friends are here with me! They've never left my side!' she realized and her eyes blazed with a will and passion that could not be quelled. 'They welcomed me here! They didn't see me as a puppet or monster, but as a friend! They believed in me and wished to lend me their strength. I was too blind to see it! But this time...I will accept your friendship! I will borrow your strength!'

A blinding flash of light erupted from Xion, a light that was so powerful that it sent the cloaked boy staggering backwards away from her. The six keychains that Xion had been given emerged from her pockets and began to circle around her, healing her wounds before they came to a stop in front of her. The floated in position in front of her the same way Twilight and her friends had floated, in the same hexagon style pattern. Xion knew what she had to do and she thrust her hand into the center of the keychains.

The moment she did so she felt her hand strike what felt like a handle and on instinct her fingers wrapped around it. Another radiant flash of rainbow light erupted around her hand, but this light did not blind Xion. What it did was fill her with strength and determination, along with the knowledge that she was not alone anymore. Then, forged from the very light itself, a new keyblade appeared in her grasp.

The handle of the keyblade was made of strong oak, while the guard around it was a hexagon with six different colored spheres in each of the angles, each of the spheres representing a different element. The blade of the keyblade was a sword made up of stain glass that was the color of the rainbow and from that glass shone a brilliant light. The teeth of the keyblade was the silver outline of a heart, one that looked familiar to Xion. And finally at the end of the keychain that swung from the bottom of the keyblade was the roman numerals for fourteen. Xion's number.

"That...cannot be possible!" Saix seethed as he looked upon the new keyblade. "Your keyblade was destroyed! I saw it happen! And even a keyblade wielder cannot re-forge a broken keyblade!"

"Correction. Maestro destroyed my fake keyblade, the one that was created for the fake me," Xion corrected for Saix as she began to swing her true keyblade, feeling out how it worked. "But I'm real now. My heart is finally real...or rather, it's finally awoken. And with this awoken heart, it seems that the keyblade has deemed me worthy of wielding it. A true keyblade. Allow me to show you what this one can do."

Xion dashed towards Saix, only for the cloaked boy to get in her way. The new keyblade collided with Oblivion and for a brief moment the darkness of Oblivion clashed with the light of the rainbow blade. Then Xion channeled the light into her body and blasted the cloaked boy back in a radiant beam of light, one that sent him flying over the head of Saix and to the ground behind the Luna Diviner. Saix looked from Xion to the fallen boy, unable to comprehend what had just happened.

In a flash of motion that Saix couldn't keep up with Xion was upon him, slicing down at him with her new blade. Saix brought up his claymore to defend himself, but when the two blades met Xion's cleaved clean through Saix's weapon. Shock and horror crossed Saix's face as the weapon went through his claymore and then sliced through his chest, getting him to howl with pain as rainbow light began to emerge from his wound. He clutched at his chest as he staggered backwards, glaring at Xion with more hate than should have been possible for a Nobody.

"You believe that simply because you have found a real keyblade that you have won? No puppet, I promise you that this battle is far from over," Saix seethed before his body started to glow with lunar light once more. "And I will not stop until I have ripped your heart from your body and-"

Whatever other threats Saix had planned to say were silenced when Oblivion ripped through his body and came bursting out the front. Saix let out a gagging sound before he slowly looked over his shoulder to see the cloaked boy standing behind him, having driven his keyblade up to the hilt through Saix's body.

"But...why...?" Saix asked before he body disintegrated and he faded away into nothingness. The boy glanced down at where Saix had vanished before he looked up at Xion, who gazed uncertainly at him.

"Roxas? Did you finally snap out of it?" Xion asked with hope in her voice.

"No, puppet. He is still under control. It is just that Saix thought that he was the one holding the strings, when in reality it was truly me," the voice of the Maestro spoke from nowhere. Xion looked around to try to find her foe, but a cold laugh filled the air as she did so. "I am not here, puppet. I am at the keyhole to this worlds heart. A place that you know by now I am certain."

"Why are you hiding? Afraid to face me?" Xion roared back at the sky.

"Not in the slightest. Sadly, I am on a timetable and the sooner this world is consumed by darkness, the sooner I can see whether or not I wasted my time coming to this reality," Maestro replied. "If you wish to face me, then come to where the keyhole is. There you will find me, an army of Heartless completely under my control and perhaps the answers to what happen to the boy you are so desperately trying to save. Of course you will die here, but still. It is your choice...but I think we both know what your answer will be."

The boy in the cloak then vanished from Xion's sight, getting Xion to narrow her eyes before she banished her keyblade. She then glanced around at her friends to see that they were getting back up, before the Maestro's voice echoed through the air one last time.

"Come to the keyhole, puppet. Come and finally have your strings cut."

Author's Note:

Obtained: Perfect Harmony