• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 5,634 Views, 578 Comments

The Girl That Never Was - Onomonopia



To unlock the secrets of Equestria, one must bear the key.

  • ...
16
 578
 5,634

Friendship

In hindsight, Xion realized that running through the streets of Ponyville calling out for Sombra was a bad idea. The moment she had started to call out the dark king's name the ponies in the streets began to panic, running around while screaming about his return and how they were all doomed. Xion had tried to calm them down, but her efforts were for naught. Eventually she gave up and left the ponies to their panic, choosing to search for her friend instead.

She checked all of the places that she was certain Sombra would have hung out around. She checked back alleys, locations filled with some amount of dark powers and any place that no self respecting person or pony would be caught at. Yet none of those locations revealed the dark pony she was looking for and Xion only became aware of how long she had searched when she looked up at the sky to see that the sun was setting on the horizon.

She decided to take a rest on a small bridge that had been built over a river, leaning her arms against the side of the bridge and looking down at her reflection in the water. 'Sombra, where are you? Don't tell me that what they said about you is true and that you abandoned me when I fought the Maestro,' Xion thought to herself, before looking down at her newly formed body. 'No, that can't be right. If you were truly just in it for yourself you wouldn't have given the ponies the materials needed to make a body along with the instructions. You're up to something. I just wish you would let me in on it.'

"You cannot find Sombra, can you?"

Xion looked over her shoulder to see the princess of the night walking over beside her on the bridge. Luna flashed Xion and unsure smile, but Xion gave the princess a less than friendly gaze in reply before Xion went back to looking down at the water. Luna walked up beside Xion and rested her own forearms on the edge of the bridge, staring up at the darkening sky.

"Well, I'm not surprised. Sombra has a nasty habit of vanishing before anypony can get any answers out of him. Back when we originally fought him, it took us three weeks just to track him down. And honestly it looks like this time it will take even longer," Luna said to Xion, who narrowed her eyes. "You shouldn't take it so personally. He's done this to many others plenty of times."

"He hasn't abandoned me. I know him too well. He's up to something," Xion replied in a cold voice, one that made Luna sigh and shake her head.

"It shows what kind of character you are that you wish to see the best in him, but you must face the truth. Sombra is evil. He always has been and always will be. He puts himself before everypony else," Luna repeated. "And the sooner that you accept this, the sooner you can-"

An explosion of darkness erupted next to Luna, who leapt back away from the girl with wide eyes. Xions body was swarmed with darkness, which wrapped around her like a dark aura. Her left arm held the most dark power and it looked like something out of a nightmare. Her eyes glowed with a dark power and despite having fought many dark beings in her time, Luna could tell that Xion was far beyond any of them.

"I am not saying this to infuriate you. I am just telling you what I know about Sombra based on my experiences with him," Luna replied calmly. "But I can now see why Sombra took such an interest in you. You truly are one of the most powerful creatures of darkness I've ever seen."

Xion smirked at Luna's words as the darkness around her died down. Then a blinding flash of light erupted from her body that blinded Luna. When the pony could see again, she was stunned to see the change that Xion had gone through. A radiant light surrounded her body and all of her clothes had gone from black to white. Her eyes held a pure light in them and a blade of light flickered in her hand.

"You...can use the light as well?" Luna asked in a near whisper, getting Xion's smirk to widen. "Now I know why for certain Sombra was so interested in you. You truly are full of surprise, aren't you? I'm just glad that you use all of that power to fight with us."

"If I'm going to be honest, I was ready to fight you and your sister when I finally met the both of you," Xion revealed. Luna tilted her head in response. "See, Sombra told me that the two of you weren't exactly fond of dark beings and how you wanted to whole world to be filled with light. So that would mean when you met a being with as much darkness as me you would do everything your power to bring me down."

"Heh, leave it to Sombra to say that. Of course he would tell you that, because he probably wanted you to get rid of my sister and I," Luna said with a chuckle. "I wouldn't be surprised if meeting you accelerated whatever harebrained plan he had for us. Glad to see that whatever it was it didn't work you."

"You're still wrong about him," Xion told Luna, who raised an eyebrow. "Sombra did care about me. And I know this, because we were gathering those items to restore his body, not mine. He was holding onto them, not me. Yet somehow they ended up with me instead of with him."

"Perhaps-"

"And then there's something else that's been bothering me. My heart was swallowed by darkness when I fought with Saix and the Maestro, yet it ended up with my cloak and the three items. How could that happen?" Xion asked Luna. Luna didn't have an answer. "And then it hit me. Aside from the Heartless, who's the only other being in this land with a darkness like that? Sombra. He grabbed my heart and brought it to the one place it would be safe until I was repaired. He brought it to all of you."

Luna stood in silence for some time after that, while Xion went back to looking at her reflection in the water. "Perhaps you are right, Xion. Maybe Sombra has changed. Or maybe he's playing the long game, waiting until the proper moment to unleash his plan. Since he is not here to ask, I guess neither of us know the right answer," Luna said as she turned to leave. "But I will say this. Light or dark, you have been an invaluable ally in the fight with the Heartless and the Nobodies. And when the day comes that you fight Maestro and Saix again, know that we will be there to help you."

"Thanks. I actually do feel a little better now," Xion replied with a small smile. Luna nodded before she ascended into the night sky, leaving Xion alone once more. Xion then reached into her pockets and pulled out the six keychains, dangling them from her fingers and moving them in the moonlight. "I guess none of you will do me any good now. Now that my keyblade's been broken."

That was the wound that hurt Xion worse than anything else she had been forced to endure since arriving in Equestria. The battles had been painful and being destroyed had hurt like crazy, but the loss of her weapon, something that she had had with her since should could remember, was the biggest blow.

She remembered how happy she had been when she first summoned her keyblade, as it was followed by her feeling for the first time in her existence that she was worth something. That she could do something for others. She then recalled the time when she and Roxas had to share a keyblade because she had lost the ability to summon hers and how silly Roxas had looked taking on the giant Heartless with nothing more than a stick. That memory got a giggle out of her.

But what she remembered the most fondly was how she had used her weapon to save so many innocent from the Heartless, both back when she was apart of the Organization and even when she had gotten to Equestria. And now she had lost that weapon, a weapon that had brought her so much pain and joy. Xion gazed down at her hand and tried to summon her blade, only for a few crackles of light to appear in her hand before they fizzled out.

"I guess it really was just a fake," Xion whispered to herself before gazing at the keychain she had gotten from Twilight's spirit. "It's sad. I never got the chance to see what kind of keyblade you would have made for me. Maybe I should just return you guys to Twilight and the others. You might do them some good."

"Sorry, but I don't want it." Xion turned her head to see Twilight was heading towards her. "I don't actually own any keys, so I don't know what good it would do me to have a keychain. Especially considering they seem to be way more useful for you than for me."

"They're not that useful to me anymore," Xion revealed as Twilight walked up beside her. "Not since the Maestro destroyed my keyblade. Without a weapon to attach these to, they're of no use to me. Just trinkets of my travels across the lands, I guess."

"Well there you go, that's one use for them," Twilight said with a smile, one that Xion didn't return. For a long time the two stood in silence, with Xion glancing over the six keychains while Twilight watched. "Thank you," Twilight eventually said at last, breaking the silence and getting Xion to look over at her.

"For what?"

"For all that you've done. Saving me. Saving Spike. Helping out all of my friends and the ponies of this nation. Just to name a few," Twilight answered. "Not to mention that you've been helping us despite our...less than nice ideas about you. I've read the papers, about how everypony seems to think that you're the cause for everything that's been going on."

"I already told you-"

"That's on the Maestro. If he hadn't brought you, he would have brought somepony else. Maybe somepony that's not as nice or wouldn't care if the world was lost to darkness," Twilight cut off Xion, before a look of fear crossed Twilight's face. "But if I'm going to be perfectly honest...you're braver than I ever could be."

"What do you mean?"

"When I awoke from...whatever that guy in the black cloak did to me, I saw you preparing to face the Maestro and...Saix? I watched you prepare to fight them, but I also sensed their power. Especially the Maestro's. And...it's beyond anything I could ever fathom. It's beyond any magic that I ever could have believed existed. And it terrified me," Twilight revealed in a whisper, shivering slightly. "How can you go up against somepony like that and not be afraid?"

"Easily. I've been fighting beings like that all my life," Xion replied. "Beings that only want to use others to further their own goals. Beings who step on the lives of others so that they can get to where they want to be. And those are the kind of people I can't stand."

"Wow, that's really brave of you."

"Of course, I still had my keyblade with me when I fought against him. But without it, I don't feel like I could do anything against him," Xion revealed as she looked down at her hand once more. "Even against the strongest of foes, knowing that I had been chosen by the keyblade gave me the strength to overcome. But now, with both the knowledge that I wasn't chosen and the fact that my key is gone, I don't know what I can do against them. I'm sorry, Twilight, but I don't think I can protect you guys from the darkness any longer."

Twilight looked at Xion for a moment, able to tell that she had gone through a great deal of pain and suffering her in life, despite looking so young. Twilight then glance down at the keychains that apparently she and the other Ambassadors had give Xion. Keychains that they had given her to make her stronger. Make it so Xion would have an easier time fighting their battles. Protecting them, even though she had no reason to. And it was then Twilight made up her mind.

"Then you won't need to," Twilight told Xion. Xion turned her head towards Twilight with a look of surprise on her face. "You've done more than enough. You've not only helped fight the Heartless, but you've given me a few ideas on how to beat them for good. The fact that you've been fighting the Maestro and this Organization for so long by yourself shows me that my friends and I haven't been doing enough. But now that we're all together, we're at our full power."

"And what does that mean?"

"It means that you no longer have to fight, Xion," Twilight said with confidence as she spoke. "The next time a Heartless swarm attacks or one of the Organization shows up at our doorstep, my friends and I will deal with it. Because while you've only seen us by ourselves, you have yet to see us together. And when we're together is when we can tap into a magic far greater than any you've ever seen."

"Are you sure about that? I've seen some pretty impressive magic in my life. Ever hear of the Genie?" Xion asked Twilight.

"I'm sure that if we work together we can defeat all of them and then eventually the Maestro," Twilight continued on. Xion thought about it for a moment, before she shook her head and smiled gratefully at Twilight.

"I appreciate the offer, but I can't risk letting any of you guys getting hurt for my sake. I'll fight against the Maestro and whatever else he throws at me and I'll find a way to beat him...somehow," Xion replied, but there was no confidence in her voice. Twilight picked up on that and gave Xion an understanding smile.

"Xion...you don't want us there because you don't want us getting hurt. I understand that and I think that's noble of you," Twilight said before she gave Xion a knowing look. "But I also think that you don't want us there because you are afraid that we'll be killed along with you, fighting a battle that we shouldn't be apart of. In fact, I think you have issues fighting with others."

"It's not that, it's just...I used to be apart of a group back in the Organization, alright. We were good friends who enjoyed hanging out with each other. Yet because of me and what I was, our friendship was torn apart," Xion revealed as she hung her head. "And now I've seen you guys and how close you all are...and I'm afraid that if I get involved with you I'm going to end up being responsible for tearing this friendship apart as well. And I don't know if I can handle going through that again."

Twilight walked over to Xion and placed a hoof on her shoulder. "Again Xion, that's a noble reason, wanting to keep all of us safe. But even if you keep us physically safe, it would still break our hearts if you were killed fighting the Maestro by yourself because we weren't there to help our friend."

"Your friend? You guess think I'm your friend?" Xion asked with disbelief, shaking her head when Twilight nodded. "Twilight, you don't want me as a friend. All I do is bring pain and misery to anyone that's unfortunate to be friends with me. Just ask the previous two people I was friends with."

"I'm sure you do more than bring pain and misery to others, but how are we supposed to learn what else if you won't give us the chance to?" Twilight asked Xion, who didn't answer. "Besides, according to Pinkie you're already our super bestest friend in the whole world, and since Pinkie is the expert on friends, I guess that already makes you our friend."

"Why are you trying so hard to help me?" Xion asked Twilight, unable to figure out the pony's desire for helping somebody she barely knew. "You don't know much about me and until earlier today most of thought I was some sort of monster of the darkness, which nopony in your land liked. Why try so hard for me?"

"Because you tried so hard to help us, even when we all saw you as a monster," Twilight replied in a no-nonsense voice. "You risked so much for us and fought all of these creatures by yourself so that none of us would be hurt. You risked everything to save those who I'm fairly certain wouldn't do the same for you. So yes Xion, I may not know much about what you like to eat or what your favorite songs are, like friends actually would. But I do know what's in your heart and that kind of person is somepony I would want as my friend. I've already seen who you are. It's just the smaller details my friends and I would like to learn more about. And we can't do that if you're gone."

"So keep the keychain," Twilight finished up, looking down at the violet star on the end of a chain. "And don't just think of it as a trinket that you can't use. Think of it, think of all of them, as signs of our trust and friendship. And know that you aren't alone here, that you've got six of the most powerful ponies in the land willing to watch your back and fight your battles. Think of them as gifts from your friends."

Twilight then gave Xion another pat on the shoulder before she turned and walked off, leaving Xion alone with her thoughts. She gazed down at the keychains once more, noticing that the one Twilight had given her was glowing brighter than it had before. Xion wasn't sure if it was because of the light of the moon or some other reason, but she then placed the keychains in her pockets and went back to her solitude.

'Friends, huh?' Xion thought to herself, a bitter smirk crossing her face.