• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 5,635 Views, 578 Comments

The Girl That Never Was - Onomonopia



To unlock the secrets of Equestria, one must bear the key.

  • ...
16
 578
 5,635

The Whirlwind Lancer

In a burst of wind Xaldin hurled himself towards Xion, his lances whirling around his body with the speed of a twister. Xion narrowed her eyes at the advancing Nobody before she swung her keyblade into the center of the storm of metal, stopping all six of the lances with her strike. Xion pushed against the might of Xaldin, but then a burst of wind erupted from the Nobody, hurling Xion backwards. She flipped in the air and landed on her feet, taking up a battle stance and narrowing her eyes once more.

"I am surprised to see that the Maestro had so much trouble with you," Xaldin smirked as he floated around Xion, who slowly moved to make sure that her eyes were on him at all times. "After all, he managed to kill all of the other keyblade wielders with relative ease, so I would have believed that he could dealt with you. Not that I am complaining. You keyblade wielders have always irritated me."

"Oh, if you think I'm irritating now, just wait till I drive my keyblade through the center of your chest," Xion growled in reply. Xaldin smirked in reply before he slammed his lances together and created a whirling vortex, one that sucked in all of the air around the girl and pony. Xion's eyes went wide as the vortex spat out a blast of air, which tore across the ground towards Xion with a speed she couldn't keep up with.

"MOVE!" a voice said before Xion was tackled out of the way in a blur of rainbow, moving her out of the way of the blast of wind. Xion felt herself slam to the ground just as the wind ripped by her, lifting her head just in time to see the blast of wind decimate a boulder that had been behind Xion. Xion then looked up to see Rainbow Dash standing over her, with the pony being crouched down in a battle stance.

"You saved me?" Xion asked in confusion as she used her blade to push herself up to her feet.

"Yeah, and don't ask me why I would save a monster of darkness like you. What's up with your look anyway?" Rainbow Dash spat at Xion as the puppet stood beside Rainbow, both of them glaring down Xaldin. "Fluttershy sees a monster of darkness, like me. Pinkie saw a red headed human. And Rarity saw a doll. Do you change your looks on purpose or just to annoy us?"

"Trust me, it would take way too long to explain it all to you," Xion replied before she slammed her blade into the ground, creating a barrier around both her and Rainbow to deflect a storm of lances. "But considering you're friends with those three, I take it that means you're on my side like they were?"

"Don't kid yourself, I'm against him. I'm not with you," Rainbow Dash replied before she kicked off the ground and rocketed herself towards Xaldin with a hoof extended. Her speed was almost unmatchable, but in a flash of movement Xaldin vanished and left Rainbow Dash striking at open air. "What the...how does he keep-?"

"Above you!"

Rainbow Dash reacted in time to Xion's words and hurled herself to the side, just in time to avoid six lances that came raining down where she had been flying. Xaldin landed atop his lances a moment later, smirking at the pony before he combined his lances into his wind cannon once again. Rainbow Dash prepared to get out of the way, but before Xaldin could fire Xion hurled her keyblade right into his face. He let out a roar of pain as he staggered backwards, with the blow having the added effect of breaking up his cannon.

"That's a weird weapon you've got," Rainbow muttered under her breath as Xion summoned the keyblade back into her hands.

"So what do you have against Xaldin? He's a piece of crap, don't get me wrong, but I'm surprised to find you fighting him," Xion asked Rainbow Dash before the both of them had to move out of the way of a storm of lances that did their best to impale or slash the two. Xion opted for deflecting most of the strikes with her keyblade, while Rainbow Dash took to the skies to avoid being hit.

"This jerk here attacked the ponies that lived here and...stole their hearts," Rainbow seethed through gritted teeth as she glared down at Xaldin. "Then he stole the life water that they were guarding before sending his minions to execute the rest. If you think I'm going to let him walk away from something like that, you don't know who you're dealing with, shadow monster."

"It's Xion."

"I believe that puppet or doll is the proper term for you," Xaldin coldly cut in before he made a movement with his hands, summoning his lances back to his side. Xion glared daggers at him, but her look of rage did little to affect the Whirlwind Lancer. "Do not trick yourself into believing that you are anything more than another tool for the organization to use. Whatever personality you believe you have, it is nothing more than an illusion that Vexen programmed into you."

"That's interesting. Say, do you think you could talk to Vexen about maybe fixing that? Oh wait, you can't," Xion said in a dark voice as she gripped her keyblade tighter. "Because I struck him down."

"Hmm, so you are the one that disposed of that annoying busybody. Perhaps there is still some use in you after all," Xaldin remarked before he lunged towards Xion once more, whirling his lances around him in an intricate formation. Xion backed away from the attack while doing her best to deflect all of the strikes, but she was quickly being overwhelmed by the onslaught of lances. "It is a pity that you will not live long enough to obtain that usefulness. Not that is matters. We are all better off without you."

"Funny, I was about to say the same thing about you!" Xion roared as she deflected one of the lances at the proper time, bouncing that lance back into the others and knocking them all out of place. The deflection left Xaldin open for attack and Xion took full advantage of that opening. She started by driving the tip of her keyblade into the chest of Xaldin, knocking him back. She then twirled to slash across the chest of Xaldin, before she leapt into the air and brought the keyblade down right on top of Xaldin's head.

"GRAH...stupid, worthless puppet," Xaldin growled as he staggered backwards, spinning his lances around him in a defensive pattern to keep himself from further attack. Xion shot a blast of fire into the center of the lances to try and disrupt them, but to her annoyance she found that the defense was too strong.

"If I'm stupid and worthless, what would that make the guy losing to me?" Xion spat back with a smirk, her words getting a laugh out of Rainbow Dash. "I would say nothing, but you're already that. So does that make you less than nothing?"

"Less than nothing...that is fitting, considering in a moment that is all you will be!" Xaldin roared before he leapt onto the back of his lances, making them whirl around him in a way that made them resemble a dragon. Xion's eyes went wide as the dragon began to create a typhoon in its mouth, one that it was aiming at her. "Let us see how you avoid this!"

Winds stronger than any storm that Equestria had ever face erupted from the "mouth" of the dragon, sending a hurricane of winds towards Xion. She lifted her key in a feeble attempt to protect herself, but from the strength of the winds she knew it was a foolish attempt. Yet right before the winds could strike her down, something wrapped around her arms and yanked her into the sky.

"What the...how did I?" Xion asked before she looked behind her to see that Rainbow Dash had grabbed a hold of her, using her wings to fly the both of them over the hurricane that raged below. "Rainbow Dash? Why are you..."

"Look, as much as I don't trust you, I trust that guy even less. And also...I can't beat him," Rainbow admitted, even thought she had to do it through gritted teeth. Xion glanced at Rainbow's arms and body to find that she was covered in wounds, ones that looked like she had been sliced up. "His weapons and way of fighting are too strange for me to deal with. But I take it you and that weapon of yours can deal with him?"

"I can finish him, but first we need to get past his defenses," Xion instructed as Rainbow Dash came to a halt, flying in place as the two glared down at Xaldin. The Nobody stopped his ultimate attack and recalled his lances to his side, before he smiled up at the two that flew above him. He then snapped his fingers and sent his lances flying towards the both of them, forcing Rainbow to start weaving through the sky to avoid being hit.

"Careful! Don't drop me!" Xion roared at Rainbow over the sounds of the winds, while using her blade to deflect the lances that got too close.

"I'm doing my best," Dash snarled in reply as she dove towards the ground, just narrowly missing a blast of wind that would have knocked the both of them out of the air. She had been so busy dodging the blast of air that she didn't see the lance until it struck Rainbow in the wing, getting the Pegasus to cry out with pain before the both of them crashed into the ground.

"Return to your nothingness!" Xaldin exclaimed as he jumped into the air, spinning his lances around him before he hurled all six of them down at where Rainbow and Xion lay. Xion rolled in front of the attacks and blocked five of the lances, only for the sixth one to slip past her defenses and strike her in the side. With a cry of pain Xion staggered backwards, clutching a hand to her side.

'Puppet, you can't let him keep moving like this. You need to keep him chained down. Emphasis on chained!' Sombra roared from Xion's pocket. Xion shook her head to try to clear the pain, before she closed her eyes and forced all of her pain down.

"I don't know what you're doing...but it shall not work!" Xaldin promised as he thrust at Xion with all six of his lances, only for them to be knocked to the side by a blur of rainbow. "You infernal horse, when will you learn you cannot defeat me?!"

"Sorry, I'm a slow learner. Ask my friends," Rainbow Dash taunted while motioning for Xaldin to bring it. The Whirlwind Lancer snarled before he began to slash at the Pegasus with his lances, forcing her to move fast to avoid being struck. "Xion! I don't know what you have planned, but you'd better do it soon!"

"Planned...what?!" Xaldin roared as he spun around to find Xion standing in the center of a symbol of light, one that made the girl glow with the light of the heavens. She held out her keyblade with one hand and pointed it towards the ground, summoning a sphere of light at the tip of the blade, before she slowly lifted it and aimed it at Xaldin. "If you think I'll just stay still and allow you to-GRAH!" Xaldin snarled as a rainbow blur struck him in the side and knocked him to the ground. "You infernal horse!"

"Sorry, still learning," Rainbow said with a smile before she cast a glance towards Xion. "Yo, you're up!"

Xion grasped her keyblade with both hands and fired four chains of light from the end of her blade, with spikes of energy at the tips of the chains. Each of the chains embedded themselves into one of Xaldins limbs, getting the Nobody to roar with pain as the light sealed his movements. The chains then wrapped around his entire body, pinning his limbs to the side while a column of light surrounded him. Xion then extended her blade once more, creating a second blade of light that consumed her keyblade.

"Xion, wait..." Xaldin began to beg.

"No. This is over," Xion replied before she dashed forward, moving her keyblade faster than the eye could track as she passed by Xaldin. Xion dispelled the light around her weapon before she turned to look back at Xaldin, who had a dozen slashes across his body that spilled out light. Xaldin shakily glanced down at his body as his form began to fade away, before he looked back at the stern face of Xion.

"You think...you've won?" Xaldin snarled at Xion, before a cracked smile crossed the Lancers face. "No...this is not over. You will not win. The Maestro...is beyond any of us. The only reason...he allows you to live...is because you still amuse him. He still finds...a reason to keep you around. The moment you outlive your usefulness...you will be gone. Heh, I wish I could be around to see it."

Xaldin then closed his eyes and fully faded away, leaving behind a vial of water that clinked to the ground. Xion let out a tired sigh before she collapsed to the ground, seething with pain as she held a hand to her side. She glanced down at the wound to find that a small piece of her was missing, revealing the darkness that had been used to make her.

'So it's true. This body is falling apart,' Xion thought to herself before she closed her eyes. 'No, I can't le the fear take me here. I need to keep moving. I need to get to the beach.'

Rainbow Dash landed next to the vial and picked it up, glancing down at it for a moment before she cast a glance over at Xion. All Dash could see was a being of darkness with red eyes that sat on the ground, but then Dash cast a glance to the being's side and saw the wound, which to her was pouring light. Rainbow thought about her next move for a moment, before she let out a sigh.

"Hey Xion," Rainbow said, waiting until Xion lifted her head towards the pony before she chucked the vial to her. "Take this. It's all that's left of the Life Water or whatever you want to call it."

"Um, thanks. But why-?"

"You ask a lot of questions, y'know that?" Rainbow cut Xion off, before she closed her eyes and sighed. "Look, that Xaldin guy attacked a lot of innocent ponies and summoned those creatures that have been attacking Equestria. And I couldn't beat him on my own. But thanks to you, he won't be bothering ponies anymore. Not to mention Rarity and Pinkie both put in a good word for you, so there's that. Finally...look, just take the water and stopping asking questions, alright?"

"Alright, I guess," Xion replied before she opened the top of the vial, waiting until Sombra gave her the go ahead before she drank the water. The moment the water touched her lips she felt her body get stronger and the feeling only grew stronger as she drank the water. When she was done drinking, Xion cast a glance down at her side to see that her wound was completely healed. "Wow, this stuff really works."

'Oh course it does. Do you think Sombra would go after anything that didn't have use to him?' Sombra asked with a chuckle, but Xion didn't hear his words as she glanced over at Rainbow Dash. Xion then rose to her feet and walked over to Dash, who gave the puppet a glance as she approached.

"Rainbow Dash...it was a team effort," Xion told Rainbow Dash, who raised an eyebrow in response. "I don't think I could have beaten Xaldin without your help. So don't feel like you didn't do anything. You were a great help and a good teammate. Honestly, I wouldn't mind teaming up again in the future. It was fun to fly."

Xion then extended a hand towards Rainbow Dash, who looked at the hand like it might bite her. Rainbow glanced from the hand to the red eyes of Xion, before she shrugged her shoulders and grasped Xion's hand. "Yeah, I guess we made a pretty good team. You take all the hits and I swoop in to save the day. I could get used to that."

"Hey, if I recall I'm the one that finished off Xaldin with my Event Horizon."

"Yeah, after I kicked him in the side of the head and prevented him from stopping your from doing that. Now that I think about it, I did most of the work."

"In your dreams."

Rainbow Dash and Xion then both began to laugh as they broke their handshake. Xion was laughing at good she felt for the first time in a long time and Rainbow was laughing at the fact that the being of darkness that the ponies had feared was a bit of a dork. But then Rainbow cast a glance at Xion's face and had to do a double take. For a brief moment the red eyes were replaced with bright blue ones and the visage of darkness was gone. In it's place was the smiling face of a human who had black hair that fell into her eyes. Then Rainbow Dash shook her head and blinked to find that the darkness had returned.

"I'd better get going. There's still a lot of work that needs to be done," Xion said to Rainbow Dash as she turned to leave, waving at Rainbow one last time. "That was fun, though. I hope our paths cross again in the future."

"Hey Xion." Xion turned around and was nearly hit in the head with the item Rainbow threw at her. Xion's reflexes kicked in and she snatched the item out of the air, before she glanced down at her hand to see a rainbow colored lightning bolt that was at the end of a keychain. "Found that laying on the ground before I got into that scrap with Xaldin. Doesn't do me any good, so I'll give it to you."

"Wow, thanks. I feel so loved."

"I know, I'm the best. Catch you around, whoever you are."

Rainbow Dash then took off into the sky, creating a sonicboom that was the color of the rainbows before she vanished out of Xion's sight. Xion shook her head as she watched Rainbow go, before she moved her shoulder a few times and smiled when no pain surfaced.

'It won't last forever.' Sombra's voice snapped Xion out of her thoughts and got her to pull out Sombra's horn, which seemed darker than usual. 'Eventually the Life Water will run out and then you'll be in bad shape. Come on, we need to keep moving. I've got a lair not far from here that we can use to rest and resupply. But we need to move.'

"Why's that?"

'Because, as an evil villain myself, I have a terrible feeling that the Maestro's patience will be wearing thin. And we're not ready to take him on. Nowhere close.'

Author's Note:

Obtained: Rumbling Storm