• Published 13th Apr 2015
  • 294 Views, 0 Comments

When the Elements have Failed You - Mysttyr



Equestria in peril and the Elements have failed; Cadence extremely sick; Celestia unable to stay awake (?); Luna & Twilight only just keep everypony's sanity. Some ponies HAVE lost it, but wait, could a handful of "lunatics" hold the answer?

  • ...
 0
 294

1- A Curious Predicament

Spark Rush paced inside the station, her teal wings ruffling and flitting as she tirelessly spent her boundless energy. A few other ponies or couples were nestled on the benches near boarding with blankets, shuttered eyes, and the agitated shifting of light sleep. The small pegasus would also have been resting, but despite her own weariness, her cursed body refused to stay still. She always had unexplained energy until her body was so exhausted she would fall unconscious the moment she didn't resist. Ponies just loved her enthusiasm in the morning, didn't matter if Spark Rush was actually bone-tired or not. Obviously by this late hour buzz, her own feelings of excitement only made it worse.

A few more hours and she would be in Ponyville, the small town closest to the Everfree forest! It was supposed to be dangerous, but also filled with all sorts of fantastic plants and creatures. Nothing worked as normal in the Everfree, and that was what made it so fascinating! The one other good note about Ponyville was that the Princess of Friendship and her fellow bearers of the Elements of Harmony lived there. If Spark Rush couldn't become an apprentice to Zecora, the one expert on non-unicorn magic, and creature who best knew the Everfree; Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends would likely be able to point her in the next best direction. Then again, rumors had been flying since her first train that big things were going down in Canterlot, so the princess may not be available. It was still a win-win however: either she would start learning from Zecora or someone else, or she would have a short vacation and visit to the Everfree. It couldn't be so bad, right?

-~~~~~~~~~

Taylor pulled herself off of the comfy seat she had found...on a train?! What the heck was going on?

She pulled up an unusually heavy arm to rub her face, but when she did so, she didn't see or feel her hand. In its place was a pale hoof covered with a dark teal...fur. It felt nice, but she had fur!

Finally, Taylor took a better look of where she was. All around her were these - creatures? They were mammals by the obvious fur and traits, somewhat like horses, but smaller and a greater range and wackiness of colors than a toddler's coloring book. It certainly looked like what you'd find in a children's story. Since when did you see a real pegasus or unicorn, especially ones with such color palettes... or brightly colored tattoos?

She would save that question for later. A nagging tug on her sides that she had already ignored once brought her eyes down to her own -sigh- furry abdomen. Underneath a brown belt wrapped around her middle were a pair of wings struggling against the strip of leather. Now that she was paying attention, she could feel the "new" muscles twitching and pulsing with the need to stretch. She didn't know how she could take off the belt without hands, not that it mattered with the rush of the other horse-like creatures exiting the train.

She squeezed herself against her seat to avoid getting brushed up the wrong way as she heard several anxious and snappy remarks in the din of the train car.

Oh yeah, these fantasy horses could also talk. If she had ever touched alcohol or drugs, Taylor knew that would be the first suspect on her list. Maybe it was just a really weird dream after a worn out day. If she was dreaming however, would she really feel this tired? It reminded her of a plane layover.

As a few more mini-horses managed to escape the confines of the crowded train, the remaining voices became more angry or more worrisome. Taylor could hear a baby wailing and the clomping of pacing, pacing, pacing. This would have all felt, ironically, like the normal stresses of long distance travel, if it weren't for the number of creatures -or maybe persons (it was more respectful)- whose eyes darted wildly or who seemed to tremble and cower slightly at every unexpected shove or voice. Just watching them, Taylor could catch herself glancing around and growing anxious to know what they were watching for. All the tension and bustle luckily distracted from her own uneasiness and likely odd behavior, considering she had probably taken to staring a bit too much. Whether at her new appendages or her surroundings, her wide eyes and tentative expression should have turned a few heads by now.

Taylor thought she would be fine until she heard a voice call out, "everypony off the train orderly please, and do have your tickets ready!"

Ticket? What ticket?! She dumped out a white bag that was tucked under her other hoof, but all she found were some gold coins plus someone's personal items and snacks, minus most of the clothing she would usually have packed.

All she could think to do was hide, but fewer and fewer - oh, they were called ponies - remained in the car. Sheepishly, she struggled between using her mouth and hooves to replace all the things in the bag for a few minutes before she re-tightened the noose on top. As it seemed she would soon be the last...pony, she would have definitely received attention if she wasn't, she calmly grabbed the bag in her mouth, and timidly urged the female pony with the little one to go ahead of her. Every other pony was already in line to come off the train. The... she-pony gave a grateful smile as she pulled her baby along.

It was all too weird, but Taylor cautiously placed down her legs, first the ones she considered legs, then the ones which should have been her arms. All legs the same length and still able to keep her head up, it was unexpectedly easy for her to balance. When she just focused on being another space forward, her body fell fairly naturally into the right motions. Her heart was pounding way too fast as she saw the train exit come closer and closer. She looked down toward her... hooves - she wasn't sure she would get used to that - only to notice the bag in her mouth did have a large strap that might actually fit over her head.

She would have to explain herself somehow with whatever lies she'd be able to make up. So, keeping a few feet behind the mother and baby pony, she tossed her head back a few times, managing to pull the strap over her head without hitting herself in the eye. She hesitantly opened her mouth to let the bag hang awkwardly from her neck. It kept bouncing off her front as she moved, but it was less awkward and at least she would be able to talk.

Facing the line again, she took a few deep breaths, the mother and child were now carefully coming off the train and the time to put on the act was now.

"Um, I'm-" She started.

"Miss Spark Rush, right?" The male-pony cut her off. He wore a dark blue uniform and cap which seemed to suit his job as an attendant. "Ah already have y're ticket. Ya gave it to me when ya board'd; said something about havin' a hoof to lose things a' times and a mind to forget 'n a rush." He chuckled, "that seems 'bout right considering the blank look y're sportin'."

Taylor felt her face heat up, but did note that the name seemed familiar to her.

"Uh, yeah," she mumbled bashfully, "Thanks so much!"

"Aww, sorry if ah 'barrased ya a bit, and think nothin' of it miss!"

She only just heard the apology as she ran down the steps off the train, nearly tripping over her bag. The room she almost fell into just had a couple of benches and an abandoned counter and cash register, however that worked with what else was around her. Only a pony acting as a janitor now for company, she casually nodded and saw herself out of the small train station...just to stop outside the door. Where was she supposed to go, even if she just wanted to find a room for the night?

To make matters worse, her wings hadn't stopped nagging at her and were now screaming to be extended and relaxed. She was still groggy and tired, and that was all without considering her current confusion and stress levels. She would have torn off the annoying belt then and there, but finding a place to sleep and not drawing the wary glances that danced around her seemed a bit more logical.

She started wandering in what felt like a good direction, but since she didn't know what anything was, nor could read the signs well in the dark she wasn't getting very far. A bit frustrated, and at last alone, Taylor stepped into a corner away from the street to take off the belt on her wings; it was really starting to chafe.

It didn't come easy or dignified, but using her tongue and a sharp tug she managed to undo the belt buckle. Her wings flew open immediately, pulling a chilled wind over her fur. Now much more at ease, she continued her fruitless meandering from building to building.

Her timing seemed impeccable, however, when around the corner she saw a shorter baby-blue she-pony with hair that swirled like a cupcake atop her head closing up shop. Taylor's voice found her quickly this time around.

"Um, excuse me, Ma'am?" - the she-pony turned to her with a kind, patient smile that was worn out by a long day - "Do you know where a girl could get a room for the night?"

The she-pony blinked awkwardly before responding.

"I'll, uh, just assume you mean filly, but there is an inn across the street and two doors down. It's owned by a Colt named Nester, usually snappy and unfriendly, but he won't turn away a pony in need. He'll likely even let you stay free for just overnight. Just tell him Cupcake sent you, and dear, do get a good rest; you look as exhausted as I feel! Take care, I've got to be heading home to my own husband and foals."

"Thanks!" Taylor's voice echoed a bit in the near-empty marketplace. The kind she-pony was already a ways down the road Taylor had come from, but Taylor also noticed a pair of male ponies approaching them from further down. The brownish pony she recognized as her train attendant, minus his uniform, and in amiable conversation with him was a larger unicorn-pony wearing heavy golden armor.

The attendant-pony tried to smirk when he saw her, but Taylor quickly turned about and started towards the direction of the inn. The pushed smile could be harmless awkwardness, but the moment the pony had seen her, she had had a bad feeling. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the one other she-pony that she had just spoken to pulled into the male ponies' conversation, which was suddenly in hushed and anxious tones.

Taylor could feel her adrenaline pumping as she tried to walk as fast as she casually could. They could only be talking about her! The ponies were in her blind spot the last yards before she reached the inn. She turned to grab the door before she saw a bright glow rush up to meet her face. Her eyes shut rapidly before she felt the searing pain crash through her forehead. She could tell she was falling backwards, but next to the pain, everything else was going numb and just gone, then the pain vanished too.

Author's Note:

Okay, first story. Constructive criticism please. Flak or hate doesn't help anybody. Yes there are OC's (glad you noticed the tag). They aren't the only main focus of the story, but they act as the intro perspective. Much of the story will focus on their interactions with the main six.
Credit is given to Grano Onis for helping me edit this. He's awesome!
Thanks for reading and please leave a comment.:twilightsmile:

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment