• Published 6th May 2015
  • 1,091 Views, 3 Comments

A change of destiny - miiohau



When six teenage girls from our world find Twilight and the others missing on the eve of Nightmare Moon’s return they are forced to take matters into their own hands(now hooves).

  • ...
2
 3
 1,091

Stories of Ponyville

The next day all of the humans turned ponies were gathered in Twilight’s library where most of them had stayed the night.

Two days after Luna’s return, all of the humans turned ponies were gathered in Twilight’s library, where most of them had stayed the night.

The last to arrive, Libby walked into the library. “Ok, first order of business: Get out of Twilight’s library and into our own homes. Second: you all need jobs.”

“What about fixing the main 6?” asked Charity.

“Remember what Celestia said, we should be careful about acting on our knowledge of My Little Pony,” said Sophia.

Charity responded back with, “Ya, but you can’t dispute that the main 6 have problems. Like Rainbow Dash’s missing wing or Fluttershy’s, uh, problems.”

“Rainbow Dash’s wing is fixable. But can you honestly say you are qualified to help Fluttershy?” asked Sophia

“I can be a good friend,” replied Charity.

“Exactly,” said Sophia. “That’s what we need to focus on, being friends with these ponies, who we honestly don’t know that much about. Not fixing them.”

The humans turned ponies looked at each other. Alex asked, “So any ideas of how to get jobs, guys?”

“You can try the career center at town hall,” said Libby. “Mark Matcher was the one who told me Sweet Apple Acres was looking for workers. Meanwhile since I already have work, in the short term as least, I will look into what kinds of homes are available.”

The ponies headed out.

------

The humans turned ponies (minus Libby) woke Twilight and found Pinkie Pie (the only two of main six to not already have a job). Then all eight ponies headed for the town hall career center. Inside they found a job board filled with little jobs like lawn mowing but there were also jobs like baker at Sugar Cube Corner.

Behind the desk was a green unicorn mare. Her cutie mark was a set of post-it notes with names of jobs like baker or actor. “Hello, my name is Mark Matcher. What can I do for you?”

Twilight stepped forward. “Um, we are here for jobs.”

“What work have you been doing?” asked Mark Matcher.

“These would be our first jobs, I think,” said Twilight. The others nodded.

Mark Matcher pulled out a clipboard and quill. “Ok, then let’s start with what your cutie marks mean.”

“PARTIES!” screamed Pinkie Pie.

“And can you think of a way to make money with that talent?” asked Mark Matcher.

“Um, ah,” said Pinkie Pie.

“How about charging for a party planning service?” asked Mark Matcher.

“CHARGING FOR A PARTY! Are you crazy!?” asked Pinkie.

Mark Matcher wrote a line on the clipboard then said, “It just an idea. But maybe we’ll turn up other skills you could use. Next.”

Twilight went next. “Um, my cutie mark means magic but I’m a little too good at it. I have trouble controlling my abilities.”

“Do you have theoretical knowledge to back up that talent?” asked Mark Matcher.

Twilight nodded. “Yes, I studied at Celestia’s school for gifted unicorns and I am a licensed journeyman wizard and I just have to master a couple more schools and create a new spell to get my masters.”

Mark Matcher made a note on her clipboard. “Those are impressive credentials, Miss Sparkle.”

Twilight blushed. “Thank you.”

“However, we don’t have many callings for master mages around here. You may have to try other cities,” said Mark Matcher.

“But I need a job here!” Twilight panicked. “If I don’t get a job in Ponyville—“

Sophia put her right hoof on Twilight’s muzzle. “Relax, you have other talents. You have organization skills and you know libraries, right? Miss Mark Matcher, is there a librarian position open?” Sophia lowered her hoof.

“Ya, the caretaker of Golden Oak Library just retired, so the position is open,” said Mark Matcher. “Does that sound like something you like to do?”

“I guess,” said Twilight.

“Then I will get the forms you need to fill out after we’re done here. Ok, what about the rest of you?” asked Mark Matcher.

“Um, the rest of us are not sure what they mean. We didn’t have them until a couple days ago,” answered Charity.
“Guess then. They are your cutie marks, they should have meaning for you,” said Mark Matcher.

Charity looked back at her cutie mark. “Ok, a broken heart with a bandage. Healing broken hearts?”

Mark Matcher took some notes. “Sounds like you would be a good fit for the therapist position down at Ponyville hospital.”

“WHAT!?” screamed Charity. “I’m not qualified for that kind of work.”

“You would be surprised, but yes, your work load will probably be geared to your experience. And you?” said Mark Matcher, pointing to Sophia.

“I like reading but also I’m good with books. Like for example I know the Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress library organization systems by heart.”

“And how are you with ponies?” asked Mark Matcher.

Sophia thought a bit then said, “Um, I guess I come off a little cold sometimes, but that’s because I don’t like being emotional. However when the subject is intellectual instead of emotional I think I do well.”

Mark Matcher wrote on the clipboard then said, “Sounds like you are a better fit for town librarian than Twilight.”

“But—“ Charity cut in.

Sophia held up a hoof. “The job will go to whoever is better qualified; I will make sure of it. And it’s not like either one us cannot get another job.”

“Next, you.” Mark Matcher pointed at Brenda.

“Ok, cheerleading pom-pom. Well the obvious is cheerleading. Ponyville doesn’t happen to have a hoofball team does it?”
“Not as such. But you’re thinking too literally, not surprising for an earth pony,” said Mark Matcher.

Pinkie Pie zipped in front of Mark Matcher. “Hey, what do mean for an Earth Pony!?”

“I meant no offence, Miss Pie,” Mark Matcher replied. “Earth Ponies tend to think in concrete terms because that’s what they deal with on a day to day basis. So Brenda, can you think of any other meanings for your Cutie Mark?”

“A cheerleading pom-pom.” Brenda thought a moment. “Well, it’s soft and doesn’t have definite form. The act of cheerleading is rousing the crowd to cheer. So it has to do with emotions like my sister’s but in a different way. And none of this seems related to a job.”

“That’s ok,” said Mark Matcher. “Not everypony gets a job related to their cutie mark. What skills do you have?”

“Let’s see,” said Brenda, “I do stand up and/or improvisational comedy at talent shows. I can tumble, cheer, cheerlead and sing; I am also good at non-sequiturs and herding cats. Only cats.”

“I don’t think anypony needs any cats herded,” replied Mark Matcher, “but the Pony Tones are looking for a fourth member, you wouldn’t happen to be a Soprano?”

Brenda nods.

“Torch Song lives off Rohan road. Just pass the Shire. If you reach Mordor you’ve gone too far. Ok, now you.” Mark Matcher pointed at Alex.

“Ok, a basketball. Well, I do like to play but that’s because my friends played. Oh, wait it’s a team sport. So, I like being a part of a team. But it also competitive—“

“That’s enough,” said Mark Matcher. “There is such a thing as over analyzing your cutie mark. Would you call yourself an athlete?”

“I guess,” replied Alex.

“Are you good at picking up physical skills?” asked Mark Matcher. “I mean are you good at wide range of physical activities?”

Alex nodded.

“Are you an outdoors person? More specifically, do you mind rain?” asked Mark Matcher.

“Well, I don’t like wet clothes, which isn’t exactly a problem anymore,” said Alex. “But yes, I am an outdoors person.”

“You might do well with weather work. I’ll introduce to the overseer after this. Finally you, little filly.” Mark Matcher pointed toward Megumi.

“Um. It’s an optical illusion and I am artistic, so skill with illusions?”

“Yes, that is very possible,” said Mark Matcher. “Unfortunately I don’t know of any opening calling for that skill. We will look at your other skills but your best path might be to go into business for yourself.”

“Myself!? I couldn’t… I wouldn’t… I can’t…” Megumi fainted.

“Pinkie, why don’t you stay here with Megumi and see if Mark Matcher has any more ideas for you two,” said Sophia.

------

Charity and John entered the Ponyville hospital lobby and walked up to the receptionist. He was a silver pegasus with a short blue mane.

“Um, hi, Mark Matcher referred me here for a therapist job but I don’t have experience or training.” said Charity.

The receptionist glanced at Charity’s cutie mark then, back at John’s. “You two just out of school and looking for your first job or something?”

“Yes, something like that.”

“Ok, you are little older than normal but there isn’t that much training before you are this age anyways. You want to see Doctor Sound Mind he’ll get you set up with training. His office is down that way, room 151.” The receptionist pointed to the right.

John and Charity said, “thank you,” and walked down the hall.

------

A couple minutes later John and Charity found the right room and stepped into the open door. Room 151 was a therapist’s office with all that applied. The room was decorated in calming earth tones. On the opposite wall was a sliding glass door that lead out to a secluded grove of trees, even from where she was, Charity could see the grove was surrounded on all sides by hedges. By the sliding glass door was an opaque beige curtain that could be slid across the door. The books on the book shelf on the right hand wall ran from things like ‘How to Listen’ to ‘Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders’.

Over by a wooden filing cabinet was a mature gray unicorn stallion. Charity guessed he was Doctor Sound Mind. His face was starting to get wrinkles like those on a kindly grandfather. Charity could tell Sound Mind’s mane and tail had once been blue but was now silver with only the most subtle blue highlights. His cutie mark was of a brain. Sound Mind looked up from the magazine he was reading and spotted Charity by the door. “Oh, guests. Come in, come in.”

Charity and John stepped inside Sound Mind’s office.

“I’m Doctor Sound Mind. Now what brings you two to me?” asked Sound Mind.

John rubbed his left forehoof with his right. “We are looking for a job. Mark Matcher directed us to the hospital for a therapist job then the hospital receptionist directed me to you. I don’t have any training or experience but I am eager to learn.”

“And what about your sister?” asked Sound Mind.

“How did you know I had a sister? And what does Brenda have to do with a job here?” asked John and Charity together.

“I meant this little filly here.” Sound Mind pointed at Charity.

Charity rubbed her head. “Oh, Right. Everything John said applies to me as well because we are sort of the same pony. Doctor Horse might be able to explain it better.”

Sound Mind blinked. “Oh, you are the one patient that became two. Ok, we’ll have you two fill out some paper work. Then we’ll spend a week making sure your reflective listening skills are up to snuff then we’ll have you visiting patients.”

Charity raised her right hoof. “Not to tell you how to do your job, but shouldn’t I have more training than that before I see my first patient.”

“Patients in the general care areas,” replied Dr. Sound Mind. “Most of them are mentally sound but could use a listening ear once in a while and if you do run in to some pony who needs real help refer them to me, at least for right now. Who’s knows, in a year or two I may be referring clients to you.”

“I think it going to be awhile before that happens,” said John and Charity.

------

A dark gray coated earth pony stallion stood on the top of the Ponyville dam looking down the dry, high side. His name was Granite Mine. He was a rock farmer, or at least he was until that incident three years ago. The second daughter of his employers nearly got killed by Timber Wolves, they didn’t blame him but he was the senior worker and he knew she wasn’t the happiest mare and often did the work mechanically.
Ever since then he asked himself what he was doing with his life, he grew rocks which were used to build and decorate the houses of the rich and to make luxury items, for heaven's sake. All the while his fellow ponies were being hurt around him.

So he quit his job and started searching for more meaningful work. But his only marketable skills were in rock farming. So here he was preparing to end his life. He backed up to get a running start on his suicidal jump when--

“HI!” Granite Mine’s vision was filled with two pools of blue in a landscape of pink. “I’m Pinkamena Diane Pie, call me Pinkie Pie. I’m new here,” said the pink blob.

Pinkamena Pie! It’s Her! The mare that nearly got killed by Timber Wolves.

“I saw you up here and you looked lonely. And that was sad. Then I got the greatest idea ever! I’m throwing you a party, then you can meet and talk to a lot of ponies! *Gasp* I recognize you! You worked for my family! This is great! We are going to have so much fun!” Pinkie grabbed Granite and dragged him over the edge he meant to jump off of just seconds ago.

Granite Mine saw the ground rushing at him. SHE GOING TO KILL ME! She’s insane and is going to kill me! Correction she already did I just haven’t died yet. I changed my mind! I Want To Live! Celestia, Nightmare Moon, Discord, Anypony, I swear if I survive this I’ll do whatever you say!

The crazy pink mare beside him pulled a trampoline from her mane and threw it down on the ground. Pinkie and Granite bounced off the trampoline. “Weee~” went Pinkie. She dragged Granite into town and to the one party he would remember for the rest of his life.
After the party he went back to the Pie family rock farm and begged for his old job back. After all he did swear his life to whoever saved him, and they did even if indirectly by giving birth to that pink mare and if he had to choose between a dull life as a rock farmer or a life near the powderkeg Pinkamena had become he’d choose rock farming every time.

------

Alex and Mark Matcher walked into Storm Cloud’s office. Storm Cloud was a middle aged pegasus stallion. His coat was a dark gray. He had a midnight black mane. On his flank were three lightning bolts from a white cloud. He was skimming one document before going to the next from his desk at a rapid pace.

“Storm Cloud, this Alex. She wants to see if weather work is for her,” said Mark Matcher.

He set down his latest document and looked at Alex. “Hm, I can always use another worker. Do you have any experience with weather work?”

Storm Cloud’s voice sounded like her old coach at his most serious, so Alex responded the same way she would to him. “No, sir. But willing to learn, sir.”

“Your training should take a couple of weeks, during which you will only get half pay,” said Storm Cloud. “Dependability is the most important quality in this line of work, so be on time and do exactly what I and the other members to the team tell you.”

Alex nodded once strongly.

Storm got up from his desk. “Ok, let’s get you started on the cloud handling course.”

------

Two hours later Alex was getting the hang of weather work (actually she got hang of it in an hour but practice makes perfect and Storm Cloud did say to keep running though the course until he came back).

As Storm Cloud was coming out to teach Alex cloud busting, an autumn orange pegasus mare entered the yard.

“Storm, we have a windigo,” said the orange pegasus.

Storm rubbed his head. “That’s the third one this month. Tell the mayor it’s time for a town meeting, we need to find the source.”

Alex stopped her cloud and came down. “Is there any way I can help?”

“The best way you can help is by staying out of the way. You aren’t ready to take down a windigo yet,” said Storm.

“What if I tell the mayor about the windigo?” asked Alex. “That will clear up another of your already trained workers to handle it.”

Storm thought a moment. “Ok, stay on the ground though. Tell the mayor that we need a town meeting about the windigos then stop by the hospital and tell them to expect casualties.”

“Mayor, town meeting, windigo, then hospital, expect casualties, got it,” repeated Alex.

Storm Cloud and the orange pegasus flew off.

Alex dashed towards town hall.

------

Forty-five minutes later, Alex was on the way back to the weather station to wait for Storm Cloud to return. When she saw a bunch of pegsi chasing a white transparent horse whose body ended in wispy smoke behind its fore-hooves.

Is that the Windigo? thought Alex.

The Windigo turned its head and released a bluish white beam. As the beam cleared Alex could see little pieces of fog.

Fog? It froze the air!

Alex’s conclusion was verified when it released the beam again and hit one of the pegsi, turning him white with frost. The chilled pegsi fell out of the sky.

Alex jumped into action; she jumped into the air and caught the falling stallion.

“Alex, I thought I *cough* told you to stay away,” said Storm Cloud from Alex’s hooves.

“No, time to talk, chief. We need to get you out of here.” Alex flipped Storm onto her back. She turned and flew toward the hospital when a bluish white beam swept across her path. Alex swerved away from where the beam had crossed. “This thing doesn’t seem to want us to leave.”

“Windigos *cough* can feed on the hate of anypony they have frozen.”

“Translation: It’s going to target us until it has frozen us. Ok, where are you trying to get this thing?” Dodge left.

“*cough* Don’t try to be a hero.”

Dodge right. “I’m not, but until we lose this thing we might as well lead it in the right direction.”

“The Everfree, there’s things in there that will chew it up like fruit in a blender. *cough* But don’t enter, there’s things in there that will chew you up.”

“Don’t worry. Sophia told me enough about what we could have faced if we hadn’t planned our trip. I’m in no hurry to go back in there.” Drop down.

“You’ve *cough* been in the Everfree?”

“Ya, long story. I will tell you later. For now, hang on.” Alex flew straight at the forest as she dodged the windigo’s beams. As she neared the forest she dug her hooves in the ground and turned her wings up and into a pair of parachutes. At the very edge of the forest she spun 180 degrees and kicked off a tree and used both her hooves and wings to return to speed. Once her fellow pegsi were between her and the windigo she headed straight for the hospital.

------

Later Alex was waiting for the one of the doctors to tell her if Storm Cloud would be ok.

A nurse entered the waiting room. “You can see him now.” The Nurse turned and guided Alex to Storm’s room.

Alex approached the bed of the stallion she had known for only a few hours but already liked. “Storm…”

“I told you not to get involved! That was possibly the most foolhardy, idiotic, bravest thing I have ever seen. You saved my life, but don’t think that gets you off the hook. I’m giving you an additional week of training, and that’s after you help me in the office while I get back on my hooves! By the time I’m done with you, you will know Cumulostratus’s compendium of wild weather back to front!”

------

That afternoon the humans turned ponies, Pinkie and Twilight gathered again in the Golden Oaks Library.

“So, did everypony find work?” asked Sophia.

“Yes, Sound Mind walked me though the basics of reflective listening,” said Charity. “Tomorrow, I will be studying the techniques more in-depth then shadowing nurse Red Heart on one of her rounds to see reflective listening in action, while John will be going to the Ponyville retirement home with Sound Mind.”

“The Apple family still needs help, even with Applejack back, so I still have a job,” said Libby.

“Torch Song said my voice was prefect for Soprano parts,” said Brenda. “Then I got dragged to sugar cube corner by Pinkie. It turns out they need two assistant bakers in the short term due to Mrs. Cake’s pregnancy.”

“My turn, My Turn!” cried Pinkie. “You are looking at the senior assistant baker and head party planner of sugar cube corner. They even had an extra room I could use.”

Alex blushed. “I got extra mandatory training on my first day but I do have a job as a weather pony.”

Um, I didn’t get one. I will have to try again tomorrow.” whispered Megumi.

Sophia spoke up. “On our end, I technically got the librarian job but at city hall we found there might be a calling for an enchanter here in Ponyville. Although that’s a bit of a misnomer, since most of the spells Twilight will be cast will probably be permanent or lasting, rather than actual enchantments.”

“Ah, what’s the difference between permanent and enchantment spells?” asked John.

Twilight cleared her throat. “Permanent is the natural extension of lasting spells and shares the weaknesses there-of, enchantment—“

“Never mind, I don’t need to know,” said John.

Twilight stomped her right hoof. "You do too need to know. Basic spell theory is something every unicorn needs to know. As I was saying enchantment spells work the magic into the object in question so it is truly permanent—“

------

Two hours later. “—And that’s the end of basic spell theory. Any questions?”

Everypony except Sophia was having trouble keeping their eyes open.

Sophia was going to raise her hoof but Brenda caught it.

“Why don’t we save that until after we go over housing,” said Brenda. “Libby did you have any luck.”

“Huh, what?” Libby shook her self-awake. “Oh, right. First up is a cloud house, one bedroom but two beds would be easy be fit in. Next is a small studio apartment on the upper east side. The final one is the biggest but also surprisingly cheap, it was built as one story two bedroom home but the last family to live in it added a second story with a third bedroom using cloud construction, needless to say the third bedroom is only useable by pegsi.

“Dibs on the cloud house!” cried Faith.

“Considering you’re the only family that can use it, it’s yours,” said Sophia.

“What about…?” said Faith pointing at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow flexed her one wing.

“Oh, right,” said Faith.

“I guess me and Brenda are taking the hybrid, considering we are the only family who can use all the bed-rooms and contains a pegsi,” said Charity

Sophia stepped forward. “Fluttershy is taking the animal care taker cottage outside of town; me, Twilight and Spike are settling in to the library; Rarity’s store has bedroom; Applejack is of course is staying with her family and I’m assuming Libby you are still staying at Sweet Apple Acres.”

Libby nodded.

“That leaves Pinkie, Rainbow Dash and Megumi and one small apartment.”

“Megumi can take it. I’ll just find somewhere to crash for now,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Crash but this is your home now,” said Charity.

“Not really. I mean, it seems like a nice place to hang, it sure beats my parent’s house, but I have only been here one day.”

Author's Note:

This is the end of the intro arc the rest of the stories are more episodic and the first should be done soon (first pass by editors done, I just need to rewrite and get comments on the changed part). -1/14/2016

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment