• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 6,722 Views, 222 Comments

Twilight Shimmer - BlackWater



Twilight marries her true love, Sunset Shimmer. Only, it turns out that marriage isn't the end of the story. It's only the start of it. So begins their new life together.

  • ...
16
 222
 6,722

6 - Hug and Heckle


Sunset growled low into Twilight's ear.

The girl giggled, blushed, and pushed back against her wife. “You better get the veggies off the stove before they burn.”

It had been a month and a half since the talk with Rainbow and weeks since she had moved in. The couple was in the kitchen preparing dinner while Rainbow relaxed on the sofa. She had offered to help but, for some reason, Sunset insisted she not get involved with any potential fires. Twilight knew Sunset didn't trust the girl's cooking skills.

After Twilight set the counter with dishes and set out an extra stool for Rainbow, she called dinner. Rainbow jumped to her new seat in a flash before Sunset had finished setting down the sizzling vegetables on a plate alongside the bread rolls.

They began eating in earnest since all were hungry due to their busy day working or, in Rainbow's case, training. She had to keep up her skills if she wanted a shot at any of the sports groups. It took little time for conversation to start up. Rainbow finished her first bread roll and spoke up to the chowing couple.

“I didn't know you two were into roleplay.”

Twilight froze mid-bite. Sunset was slower to get it.

“What are you talking about?” the redhead took a fork full of warm veggies and devoured them. They may not have tasted the same with human taste buds, but she had sworn never to go near meat.

“Oh, you know,” Rainbow shrugged. “Just never pictured you as a teacher.”

Still, Sunset missed the over-obvious hint. Twilight was beet red and trembling.

Rainbow smirked now, obviously struck with some maniacal idea. She swiped Twilight's glasses from her face, put them on, and held up her hair to mimic Twilight's signature bun.

“Hey,” Twilight started to object, though she could no longer really see the offender.

“I'm Twilight Sparkle,” Rainbow made a bad impression of the girl's voice. “Please, Professor Shimmer, can I stay after class? I really want to get in some extra credit.”

Twilight's face first hit her palms and then the table as steam came out of her ears from embarrassment. At this point, Sunset had become perfectly aware that Rainbow just might have overheard them last night. And they had been trying so hard to be quiet too.

“Geez,” Rainbow let her hair down and her voice was back to its regular brashness. “Not even to your first anniversary and you're roleplaying? You've got to be running laps on Shining Armor and Cadance.”

Sunset crossed her arms. “Don't you be going and telling other people. Got it?”

“Oh, pffft,” Rainbow blanched. “Of course not. I'm not that kind of person. That's Rarity you're thinking of.”

“What are we going to do?” Twilight twiddled her thumbs. They were both in their bedroom. Rainbow Dash was out tonight for special training, but was due back any minute.

“Not have roleplays with elaborate conversational setups?” Sunset shrugged as she spread herself out on the bed. She had already taken to relaxing upon the silky sheets while Twilight still sat up.

“I'm serious here,” Twilight batted at her. “And I don't want to stop what we're doing.”

Sunset smirked. “Who would have thought that, between the two of us, it would be you who insisted upon the kinky stuff?”

“Oh, yeah, I'm sure our friends all expected you to be into leather and whips,” Twilight rolled her eyes and sat her chin upon her palm in a bored manner.

At that, Sunset took on Twilight's seriousness. She half sat up on her elbows. “Hey, I wouldn't put it past Dash to think I dress up like a she-demon and tie you to the bed posts every Friday night.”

Twilight's face rose from her palm, an inquisitive look on her face. Wheels turned in her eyes.

“No,” Sunset quickly answered.

Twilight looked over to her wife slowly, a sultry look taking form. “Now, now. Let's not be hasty here.”

“Twi, babe, no,” Sunset pouted with her lips.

The glasses-wearing scientist crawled over until she was suspended over her wife. “I don't have to be tied up, you know. We can work up to it. Maybe I can just be the frightened little nerd and you can be the big bad school bully.”

Sunset felt her will weaken. It was a dirty fantasy but one that worked very well on her psyche. Besides, she couldn't be stubborn when those beautiful purple irises...those perfect luscious lips...

Twilight ran her index finger up to Sunset's chin, tilting her head so their lips got ever closer. “How about it, bad girl? Want to show this helpless well-read girl who's in charge?”

Sunset almost recomposed herself and told her wife they needed to calm down and wait until Rainbow was back and asleep so that she wouldn't walk in on them.

Then Twilight placed Sunset's hand on her throat and whispered hotly into her ear. “Force me down and teach me who's boss.”

The redhead snapped. She couldn't take the seduction anymore. Fire lit in her eyes and heart. She easily lurched forward, flipping their positions and driving Twilight down onto the sheets. The egghead actually started to giggle even with Sunset's hand firmly on her throat. But she didn't get much of a sound out because Sunset mashed their lips together in a feverish lust. With her other hand, she started to tear at Twilight's clothes. She didn't care if she ripped them. She just wanted to have Twilight and she wanted her now.

The sound of something dropping to the floor made both of them break their kiss and look instantly to the bedroom door, which they had carelessly left open.

It was a water bottle that had dropped and it was safely secured so it hadn't spilled. The owner of it, however, was standing in the doorway with something between a shocked lip-curl and a dopey grin.

“Uuuhhh,” Sunset droned with a beet red face, which her wife was matching.

“D-don't m-mind me,” Rainbow stammered and finally decided on the dopey grin. “P-proceed.

Sunset's embarrassment turned into an unamused look of disbelief. Twilight pushed her wife off her, clutched at her shirt that had gotten its top buttons torn off, and hopped off the bed with more composure than she had any right to. If anything, she deserved credit for a relatively quick recovery.

“How did training go, Dashie?” she managed to ask with some amount of casualness.

Rainbow blinked, shook her head, and then replied slow. “Fine. Yeah...it went great. Broke my goal distance record again.”

“Sunset,” Twilight glanced back to her still embarrassed spouse on the bed. “Could you get dinner started? I'm going to change.”

With a shudder of lost dignity, Sunset complied. She got up, led Rainbow back to the living room, and got started in the kitchen. Rainbow, for her part, did help out by setting the table. In typical fashion, however, she didn't wait long to make further remarks. How could she resist after coming back to that?

“So,” Rainbow began in her fake-casual voice.

“No,” Sunset tried to stop her. She knew Rainbow and thus she knew where that tone was headed.

“What?” the athlete chuckled and acted innocent. “I was just going to tell you I picked up some earbuds. The kind that block out noise when you're sleeping. I figured that would be a good way to help with your little, ahem, privacy issue.”

“I thought you already had some of those because of your snoring.”

Rainbow chuckled again, but this time it was out of her own spot of embarrassment. She ran her hand through her voluminous and wild rainbow hair. “Well, honestly, those don't work too well. They were old and I still can hear some stuff with them. Hence, you know what.”

Sunset liked the idea of Rainbow having solved the problem for them. She voiced her appreciation as well. As allergic to thanks as Rainbow was when it was relational rather than based on her awesome character, she swiftly changed the subject.

“You want to know something interesting?” Rainbow twirled the end of her ponytail around her finger absent-mindedly. She had finished setting the table and so merely sat there admiring her ponytail's contrast to the pristine white plates. “The Dazzlings split up after they left CHS.”

Sunset rose her brows and looked back at Rainbow, momentarily diverting her attention from the stir fry she was making over the stove. “How would you know?”

“Guess who's also trying out for a sports career?” Rainbow returned, though not with her usual smugness. “Aria Blaze. I met her at the field I was practicing at. She's in the same spot as me.”

“Changed any?” Sunset asked and returned to cooking.

“Uh,” Rainbow flipped her ponytail back. “Maybe? I don't know. It's not like we were all friends before. I can tell you she's kind of grouchy, but she loosens up the more you talk to her. I guess she's just the tough outer-shell type. I asked her about the others but she just said she didn't know. Apparently they never saw each other again after breaking up. Kind of sad, you know?”

“Yeah,” Sunset looked down pitifully at the sizzling vegetables and noodles.

“So I guess you didn't hear,” Twilight walked in with a new autumn-themed long-sleeve. She had heard a part of the conversation. “Fluttershy had a run-in with Sonata Dusk.”

“Really?” Rainbow was genuinely surprised.

Twilight sat down at her place at the counter and repositioned her silverware and plate. They weren't absolutely aligned like they would have been if she had set the table. “She went to some charity convention a few months ago. Sonata's in a medical charity now. Shy said she was in a nursing apprenticeship.”

“Wow...” Rainbow Dash replied in awe. She looked at her reflection in her clean glass on the counter top. “I guess you never know where you'll end up, huh?”

“Nope,” Sunset put in. She walked over to the counter with plates of their hot food, still steaming. When she took her own spot, she waved at the food to help cool it for consumption. “Or who you'll end up with.”

Twilight gave her wife a wink while Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Yeah, wouldn't it be weird if I was married to someone in a few years?”

Sunset stared at her hard. “It totally would.”

Twilight giggled. “I can't even picture it.”

“Well I didn't see Sunset marrying anyone back in high school,” Rainbow countered with all the tone of a good sport. She took some of the veggie noodles onto her plate while Sunset poured their drinks.

“Touche,” the redhead said.

“So,” Twilight nudged Rainbow as if to suggest something.

“So?” Rainbow failed to take the hint. She took a bite of her meal.

“Boys or girls?” Twilight's eyes sparkled behind her glasses.

Rainbow turned deadpan and glanced to Twilight as if to ask if she was for real, mouth still full of food.

“It's a fair question,” Sunset put in for her spouse. She took a sip of milk from her glass. “You were pretty suspicious with both at CHS. I don't think you ever spared checking someone out regardless if they were a boy or girl.”

“I thought you both knew I was bi,” Rainbow rose a brow. Unlike Pinkie would have, she withheld the “duh.”

“Yeah, but, you know...” Twilight became increasingly interested in her slippers and blushed as well.

Sunset admired her wife for being so bold earlier and being so shy now. It was just like her to be so passionate when they were alone but shy in company. Even with close friends.

“I think she was just wondering if one or the other got you more...going,” Sunset made a lop-sided grin.

Rainbow shrugged and took a few more hearty bites. “Not really. I mean, they're about the same for me.”

As if the topic could not be let go, Twilight renewed her interest. “Anything that really attracts you? Anatomical attributes? Personality preferences?”

Rainbow almost blanched at the wording but was casual enough to respond in between eating. The others took her lead and ate as well. “I guess I'm into the personality more. I mean, I love short hair like Spitfire's but, you know, I could see getting into longer hair too. What I really like is drive. Initiative. That's what's attractive to me. You gotta have your heart in life. Remember way back when I owned you in that soccer challenge?”

Sunset rolled her eyes. “That was the other Twilight, Dash.”

“Oh,” Rainbow chuckled and even blushed a bit. It was too faint for the couple to tell, however. “Yeah. Anyways, I don't really care so much what it is the person is really into but they got to show they'll work for it. Well, okay, maybe I do care a bit. I mean, I'm not going to go dating some murderer, you know.”

Twilight giggled and Sunset joined in.

“Are you getting nervous, Dashie?” Sunset decided to prod. It did appear that the rainbow-haired girl was shuddering just slightly.

“Actually,” the athlete turned from her food, “I guess Twi was right about the long-sleeves. I'm going to change too.”

“Sun's going down,” Sunset nodded to her wife. “Fall's bringing in the chill after dark.”

Twilight nodded back. “We got a recent inversion that's dragged in a cold front that was supposed to shift northeast-”

Sunset leaned over the counter and lightly pushed her wife on the nose. "Boop."

“You know I hate it when you do that,” the scientist puffed up her cheeks with indignation.

The redhead just smiled fondly. “I know.”

Twilight walked along a small country path near the research institute she worked at. Autumn had caused the flora to turn a myriad of somber colors. The hues came primarily from the shrubs and subshrubs, however, due to the great pines being the dominant tree making up the forest. Leaves fell with grace along the dirt path.

Both Sunset and Rainbow were going to be late getting home, so Twilight was in no rush to get back. She adjusted her glasses and hugged Sunset's jacket she had put on. Her wife had insisted she take it now that the temperatures were dropping. Sure, she had her own jacket, but she liked Sunset's for some reason. Maybe it was her attraction to Sunset's old black leather. It made her feel safe and loved, as silly as that may be for some people. Rainbow thought it was absurd, but she didn't care.

As for Sunset, she had other things to keep her warm and seemed to be naturally warmer in the first place. Thinking about each other was natural for both of them. But putting such thoughts aside for the time being, Twilight had another agenda for this walk. Along the path was a lake. It was a part of her off-time experiment.

Eventually, her purple and black boots got her to where she was headed. The lake was admittedly rather small. It was, after all, tucked into a clearing within the conifer forest. However, the trail led right past the clearing, allowing her to step off the path and get to the water's edge. Reed-like plants sprouted up from the bank and thick grass grew in abundance, now yellowing from the changing season.

Only Sunset knew of what they could do – what she tried out from time to time here. It was much easier with Sunset with her, but she could do it even alone. Twilight took several long calm breaths and stretched her arms out in no particular direction. She focused on Sunset's jacket keeping her upper body warm and the scarf around her neck, which reminded her of their cozy apartment by its scent.

A magical warmth churned inside her heart and she felt an uplifting power within her very being. The magic she had studied for so long was present so strongly within her now that, just as her wife could, she could encourage it to come out by will. Friendship had been the power behind their friends but there was another power at work with her and Sunset.

It was a power as strong as true friendship but passionate in a different way.

Love.

Twilight Shimmer did not rise up from the ground on invisible wings. She had no swirl of wind to make her transformation dramatic. No, she simply had a peaceful glow of light encompass her and then dissipate to reveal her form. It had been a success once more, easier this time than the last time she had tried it without her wife. Her dark wings fanned out to a considerable span.

She stood looking out over the lake as Midnight Sparkle.

With a quiet giggle she realized that Midnight Shimmer might be a more apt name for her transformation. Her friends had coined the first name after her original transformation, but it hardly fit her now. Before she could test any aspect of her magical form, a voice behind her caused her to whirl around in surprise. She thought she was alone, since hardly anybody ever walked the trail.

“I was just looking for you,” Cadance hadn't lost any of her natural smile in spite of Twilight's state.

“How'd you-”

“Your boss ratted you out,” Cadance stuck her tongue out playfully. She still managed to pull off her baby-sitter personality even as old as she was now. Her casual light-colored fall dress certainly helped even though she had a white jacket over it to warm her upper half.

Twilight sighed but stepped away from the water and hugged her sister-in-law. “Good to see you, Cadance.”

“No special greeting?” the woman winked.

“It'd be weird like...this,” Twilight gestured to her dark form. Her glowing eyes certainly gave her an interesting appearance.

Cadance seemed to be even more encouraged by this fact. “Sunshine sunshine,” she said, prancing in place.

“Ladybugs awake,” Twilight couldn't resist and moved her hands to and from her radiant eyes.

“Clap your hands,” the older woman beamed and clapped her hands with Twilight's.

“And do a little shake,” they finished in unison while waving their rears.

They both broke out in a fit of giggles at the nostalgia of it. Twilight's wings twitched with their laughter as well. It didn't take long for the scientist girl to question, though.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, enjoying the company all the while.

“I just thought I'd give my little sister-in-law a friendly visit. You weren't at the apartment so I figured you'd be at work. I eventually managed to find you. Nothing wrong with seeing you because I want to, right?” Cadance winked.

Twilight couldn't help but hug her again. “I really do have the best family ever.”

“I try to live up to the Sparkle reputation,” Cadance rubbed the girl's back, taking note of where the wings connected there. “Shimmer in your case.”

“Speaking of,” Midnight Shimmer leaned back, “maybe you can help me figure out how this love magic works...”