• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 6,722 Views, 222 Comments

Twilight Shimmer - BlackWater



Twilight marries her true love, Sunset Shimmer. Only, it turns out that marriage isn't the end of the story. It's only the start of it. So begins their new life together.

  • ...
16
 222
 6,722

16 - Family Leave


The sounds of the rolling waves were calm and peaceful. The same as they always were. If anything in the world never changed then it was the waves that beat upon the beaches of Hello Tropics. Twilight Sparkle stood there in the sand with bare feet next to her wife. The sun was low but steadily rising to the challenge of the morning.

“Remember when we first came here?” Twilight asked, turning her gaze to the beautiful woman beside her.

“Like it was yesterday,” Sunset replied, not sure if she was happy or sad at seeing her life go by so fast. “I was so worried. I was afraid we would drift apart.”

“I told you we wouldn’t,” the glasses-wearing scientist leaned against her spouse. Their bare shoulders were soft against each other.

“I’m glad I didn’t wait,” Sunset took a deep breath to refresh her spirit. The salty air of the bay did much to rejuvenate her. It had the scent of clear clean water and also of rich green life.

“Wait for what?”

“To ask you to marry me,” Sunset looked into the purple pools of her wife’s eyes. “I could never put a price on what I’ve already lived through with you.”

“If you’re trying to be romantic,” Twilight grew a lop-sided grin and put her arms around Sunset’s neck, “it’s working.”

“No point in seducing what’s already mine, though,” the redhead pecked the other woman’s lips.

“I thought we agreed I wasn’t your property,” Twilight kept up the banter even as she leaned in closer, not content with a mere peck. Her eyelids drooped enticingly.

Sunset was already lost to the rest of the world. Even the trickles of cool water reaching their feet from the last wave took little notice. “Yeah. Because I’m your slave.”

“That’s so chee-”

Sunset silenced Twilight with her lips, sealing their mouths together in an all too familiar embrace. The beach was empty save for themselves. After all, they were on King’s Land island in the center of the bay – private for their use only. Therefore, Twilight had no reservations about where Sunset’s hands happened to be or where they intended to go.

When their kiss broke, the redhead panted. “Damn it’s hot,” she wiped her forehead from the sweat forming there.

“Why thank you,” Twilight joked and stuck out her tongue. Her body was also sweating, though she hadn’t mentioned the humidity yet or, quite thankfully, the scientific reasons why their environment was so warm.

Sunset lowered her grip down to Twilight’s hips. “Want to take this back to the villa?” she practically growled with desire.

Twilight, however, fell back into the sand and laid there. “I was hoping you’d just take me right here~”

Sunset might have been dumbstuck years ago, but now she was used to it. Thus it took no hesitation for her to fall atop Twilight, suspended above her only by her arms so she didn’t crush her wife. “Let’s see if I can still remove your top with my teeth.”

“And that’s how Equestria was made,” Pinkie finished explaining with a nod of her head and a smug look of satisfaction on her face.

“You said it was because of a failed cake recipe last week,” Sunlight remarked with a blank face.

“Light’s not a baby, Pinkie,” Rainbow Dash advised from the other side of the hot tub.

“Memory, huh? You’re getting tricky, kid,” Pinkie squinted and stroked her chin. “I didn’t remember things a week ago when I was six.”

“You try to trick me a lot,” Sunlight crossed his arms. His face was anything but stubborn, though. His radiant smile was still there as it usually was.

“At least he’s not teasing you about your weight,” Rainbow nudged her old friend with a smirk.

“Hehe,” Pinkie grimaced and glanced down at her admittedly slightly chubby body. “It’s not my fault I have my own sweets shop.”

“I’m pretty sure it is,” Rainbow chuckled.

“You shouldn’t eat what you sell,” Sunlight added into the conversation.

Pinkie’s face deadpanned. He’d told her that a hundred times before. She called upon her inner babysitter to handle it. After all, as amazing as Sunlight was, he was still a six year old. And six year olds were prone to repeat the obvious as if it were some incredible revelation. She had been through it twice over with the Cake twins. “I’ll be more careful,” she replied in a dead voice.

Rainbow, meanwhile, was enjoying herself over it. And the hot tub. And Adagio, who was sitting in the tub right next to her. The siren was fiddling with the ring on her finger.

“Hey, I told you it’ll only fall off if you mess with it,” Rainbow turned her attention to her wife.

“It’s only still on because I’m ‘messing’ with it!” Adagio sneered.

“I’ll ‘mess’ with you,” Rainbow countered seamlessly.

“Girls,” Pinkie waved her finger at them. She gave each the look that said “not in front of Sunlight.”

Rainbow was hardly one to forget, but she realized afterward that the insinuation had slipped out of her mouth anyways.

Sunlight, meanwhile, was sitting on the edge of the in-ground tub. His gaze was not on any of the bikini-clad women whom he knew as family members. Instead, his attention had been grabbed once more by the bay of Hello Tropics, which was clearly visible from the hot tub plaza they were in. The way the water shined under the morning sun stirred the joy in his heart. He always begged his parents to take him here and he never grew tired of it. The breeze rustled the tropical trees around the plaza and the forest of them that existed down the coastline.

“Rainbow to Sunlight. Rainbow to Sunlight,” the pro athlete repeated in the sweet voice she got stuck in whenever she wanted to get his attention. It was a habit she only became aware of when he was about three and she still hadn’t ditched it.

“Huh?” the boy broke his fixation.

Rainbow placed her phone behind her on her travel bag outside the hot tub. “Mommy Egghead wants you for swimming or something.”

If his face had been lit up before, it gained twice the brightness now. His medium length yellow and pink hair nearly snapped when he threw his body away from the hot tub to grab his small sun-crested beach bag.

“Aunty Pinkie has to get you there,” the boisterous baker insisted and pulled herself out of the bubbling hot water. Her candy cane patterned bikini somehow managed not to retain a single drop of water and the rest of her seemed dry in an instant. None present questioned it.

“Don’t stop us at every sweet stand on the way,” Sunlight looked to his escort knowingly.

Sunlight dove into the water, using his arms to break it before his face did. He never grew tired of swimming and, though he couldn’t beat Rainbow in a water race, he could easily beat his first mother. Twilight was as good a swimmer as she was a soccer player. Then again, Twilight was on the beach right now and Sunset was the one swimming with him.

“No fair,” he giggled when his second mother sprayed him with water using her hand. They were standing in knee deep water as clear as polished glass, which meant he couldn’t try ducking under to hide. It also meant his earlier dive was more of a shallow lunge. Twilight didn't approve of him going into water that was too deep yet.

“You asked for it, Lighty,” Sunset grabbed him and tousled his wet hair.

“I want a swimsuit like yours,” he changed topics and clutched her arms. “Pink and purple is way cooler than dumb yellow.”

“Hey,” Sunset leaned back in disappointment, touching the yellow in her hair. “That hurts.”

“I didn’t mean it like that,” he instantly apologized and gave her puppy dog eyes.

Indeed, Sunset’s bikini was purple with a few pink stripes as accents. She had it because it was similar in style to Twilight herself, who was wearing a bikini patterned after Sunset’s hair. The redhead had a Twikini previously but the older one wound up ruined in an unmentionable accident.

“Bad boys must be punished,” Sunset grew an evil smirk.

As the tradition went, Sunlight’s eyes grew to the size of dinner plates and he attempted to turn and flee. He wasn’t fast enough. Sunset grabbed him around his midsection and hefted him out of the water only to throw him into the safely deeper area. His cries were soon drowned. Sunset just shook her head and rolled her eyes when she caught her wife’s disapproving glare from the beach.

In nearly a single motion, Sunset glided over to the child’s drop point. She was about to yank him out when he sprung up and tackled her backwards into the water. She would not have fallen normally but did so on purpose to give him a sense of victory. Like clockwork, he laughed hysterically on top of her as they wrestled in the gentle waves and fought to stay above the few feet of water.

“You let your guard down, mom!”

She kept from rolling her eyes because she already did it far too frequently. “Sure I did, squirt!” she replied as she wrangled him around the swishing water.

Instead of getting a response back, he merely bubbled the water and the tropical birds past the shoreline chirped and cawed loudly in his place. Sensing his sudden lack of energy, she pulled him back up and he hung like a limp noodle in her arms.

“Tired already?” She gave her boy an almost smug look of understanding. “Pinkie fed you sugar, didn’t she?”

All he did in response was stick his tongue out and then immediately complain about tasting salt.

“Mission accomplished!” Sunset called back to her wife, who waved back at them.

With a smooth motion, she swung Sunlight onto her back and held him up back there against herself. She hauled him to the beach where she dumped him gently on the towel laid out next to Twilight under their umbrella.

“You look tired too,” Twilight commented, adjusting her glasses and setting down the small book she was reading.

“Am not,” Sunset argued for some reason she didn’t know. Sometimes she just felt like contradicting her for the fun of it.

“You were out there for an hour and three minutes.”

“It must have been our morning activities,” Sunset suggested with wiggling brows.

Twilight leaned over and nuzzled her wife’s cheek. “It was worth it.”

“You bet it was.”

Their young boy rolled over onto Sunset’s lap and reached for her face. “I want nuzzles too!”

“You’re not four anymore, squirt,” Sunset tapped his nose.

“I’m six. Doesn’t matter,” he insisted with a pouty face.

“Alright, my little colt,” Sunset gave in and nuzzled both his cheeks, which made him beam and giggle happily.

“What am I? Chopped onion?” Twilight joked and stuck her face in between them to join in.

“Ah! Glasses!” Sunlight exclaimed after getting poked.

“Sorry!” she quickly removed them and proceeded.

After enjoying the affection, Sunlight slipped back down this time onto Twilight’s bare lap. He laid there in a state of spacey half-sleep.

“He’s going to be starving when he comes to,” Sunset said what was on both their minds. “Should we order?”

“My lap is reserved. Would you?” Twilight nudged Sunset for encouragement.

“I won’t let you down,” Sunset saluted. “Just don’t stare while I’m walking away.”

Twilight got that the unvoiced message was “don’t stare at my butt” which, of course, was exactly what she did.

THUNK!

The waste bin almost fell over from the heavy stack of papers that were just thrown into it. Professor Theory quickly paced away from it, went to his workbench, then went back to look in the bin. “Years. Years!” he complained, wanting to pull out what remained of his gray hair.

“I know,” Twilight sighed at her own workbench next to his. She remained seated and reviewed the genetic sequences routing through the screen of her computer terminal. “That’s how it goes. Science only progresses through the best of trial and error. Same as any other system of evolution.”

“I’m old,” he came up beside her with crossed arms. “As much as I know this, I still want to feel some sort of accomplishment before I die.”

Twilight couldn’t help the ironic frown from worming its way onto her face. She took off her thick glasses, turned in her swivel chair, and looked up at him. “You’re a PhD in Theoretical Genetics. You’ve discovered crop hybrids that have led to the ending of starvation for tens of millions of people! What in the world are you going to find more satisfying?”

“Cracking RP9!” he threw his arms up in exasperation. “We’ve run out of clues. That kid of yours broke every theory I had! No magic? None?! He can’t even do a card trick!”

“He’s six,” Twilight stuck her lips out in a pout. There was no reason for Theory to be so frustrated with Sunlight. He was just a child. And he was her child.

“I’ll never find out anything more with currently available observable phenomenon,” he seemed to ignore her.

Twilight considered that fact. She had considered it before but now considered it harder. Maybe it wouldn’t be such a crazy idea after all to suggest he…

“If I could travel through the portal,” Theory began to conspire, “I might be able to discover what is impossible to find on this side.”

“I promised Princess Twilight that we wouldn’t start sending people over,” the human Twilight repeated an old argument. Then she gave her hopeful peer a light at the end of the tunnel. “But maybe I could talk her into just one?”

Professor Theory looked like a five year old on his birthday. “As soon as you can!