• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 6,722 Views, 222 Comments

Twilight Shimmer - BlackWater



Twilight marries her true love, Sunset Shimmer. Only, it turns out that marriage isn't the end of the story. It's only the start of it. So begins their new life together.

  • ...
16
 222
 6,722

12 - Minor Details


Twilight Shimmer drifted in and out of consciousness. Her mind kept trying to grasp the last thought when she blacked out. Why was this happening? She knew being host to the child might carry some risk, but there shouldn't have been much more beyond any typical pregnancy. Why was this happening?

Then it hit her.

Sunset had the RP9 gene because she was an Equestrian but she, Twilight, only had the white contagion that she and the professor had been studying for years. She had never attempted a test between the two! It was so simple that she had missed it in her rush to complete the winter experiments. The contagion had probably mutated the RP9 gene. It would be anyone's guess what was going on inside of her right now.

“Twilight!” came the voice of her cherished wife. It sounded distant and muted, as if it were below water. Sunset was right next to her, though, gripping her hand tightly. “Stay with me!”

Twilight's consciousness faded out again.

“She's in no danger, Sunset!” barked Professor Theory's voice. “Don't you dare turn off the machine!”

“I won't lose her!” Sunset replied, nearly in tears.

There was the sound of a scuffle.

“The mutation has stabilized!” the professor shouted, even more strained now. “They'll both live. Get a hold of yourself!”

Silence was broken by the heavy breathing of two people recovering from a struggle.

“The child...?” Sunset left her question trailing.

Clicking of a keyboard.

“Returned to normal development. Assuming my gene monitor is accurate. I have to disclaim because-”

“What about the gene?”

“RP9 has mutated. It's not inferring with development right now but I have no data on this new strand. It's wait-and-see.”

When Twilight's wandering mind finally caught enough of her seemingly distant body to grasp consciousness again, her sight returned. She rolled her head sideways on the medical bed in the lab, seeing Sunset right there holding her hand.

“I feel terrible,” Twilight said in the creakiest voice she ever recalled having.

However, Sunset was so happy she nearly cried. She hugged her wife gently so as not to hurt her in her weakened state.

“You're lucky, Mrs. Shimmer,” came a voice Twilight was unfamiliar with. It was the first time she realized how many other people were in the room. Most were stationed at the walls where they were out of the way of the few doctors and nurses that were tending to different machines around the room.

A woman Twilight didn't know stepped up to the other side of her bed. She looked plain and average, but the stride of her clicking black heels was anything but. Her suspiciously military-like uniform was likewise foreboding. Her brown hair and hazelnut eyes were so gentle that they almost neutralized the intensity of the rest of her in spite of her mature age. Almost.

“In the future, it may be best not to overlook important variables,” the woman stated. “Having said that,” she then instantly relaxed, “I'm glad this turned out alright. It's still unclear if we have the ability to contain any...problems.”

With grave concern coming to her face, Twilight looked sideways to Professor Theory. He was sitting at a computer terminal nearby and shrugged. “I'm a scientist, not a doctor. We had to go to the hospital when you first blacked out.”

“And good thing you did,” the woman gave them both a serious glare. “Now that we're aware, we can provide the necessary materials and personnel to ensure this doesn't get out of hand.”

“I'm sorry,” Twilight croaked out, her voice still hurting. Sunset tried to stop her, but she ignored it. “Who are you again?”

“Commander Easyglider,” the woman declared with a straight back. Then she relaxed again. “Or used to be. Now I'm in charge of the oddball affairs deemed too bothersome for General Command. Only one lousy squad left to my name.”

Twilight glanced around the room as much as she could without turning her head. It throbbed when she did so. The stone-faced people against the walls must have been Easyglider's squad.

“No matter, though. An entire division wouldn't be enough if the magic got out of hand. It's not a theater we can play on - according to my briefings. Makes me question the whole assignment. Command probably wants a scapegoat if anything goes wrong.”

Sunset Shimmer spoke up so as to prevent her wife from hurting her voice any further. She looked Twilight in the eye with the hope that she would understand. “I knew they'd find out if we took you to the hospital in your unusual condition. But I couldn't risk your health.”

“What's going to happen?” was Twilight's simple question.

“Nothing,” Easyglider replied just as simple. “This is all classified. I'll see to it that you both have what you need to remain in good health and prevent any...ill events from occurring. You needn't worry about the details of your situation getting out. It's not as if the average citizen would believe it even if they heard it.”

“You're just a normal pregnant woman and you're going to have a normal baby,” Professor Theory added, talking particularly to Twilight. “For the record. Off the record is another thing. I can continue using the machine we made together to monitor the child's genetic development.”

Twilight closed her eyes and leaned back into the bed that could have been far more comfortable. But then it could have been far worse as well. At least she wasn't on a stretcher. Or in a hearse.

“I hope that was a one-time thing,” the young female scientist told herself. “I'm only supposed to be two months in.”

“With the oversight of the doctors,” Easyglider nodded to two of the other people going over graphs in the room, “I'll leave you in peace.”

Before Easyglider saw herself fully out of the lab, Sunset called out to her. “Thanks again, Glider. For being...well, nice to us.”

With a sigh and a nod, the woman finished leaving. Two of the other people dressed in a semi-military fashion followed her out the door. The fact that a few remained in spite of the personal and medical nature of Twilight's condition only spoke to how serious their situation had become.

“When can we go home?” Twilight immediately insisted. Her throat was rasp but determined to form her words.

Sunset smiled faintly at that. It was only the second time she had shown a positive emotion since Twilight started having problems some forty hours ago. Her face also showed the strain and lack of sleep she was enduring.

“When the doctors say,” was all Sunset could reply in soft words to her wife, who she kissed gently on the cheek.

“Twenty-four hours perhaps,” one of the doctors helped answer as he got up from a chair and walked to the bedside. He pointed to the wires attached to the nodes beneath Twilight's hospital gown. “We're recording that all bodily conditions have stabilized after Theory's 'mutation.' Easyglider has set up adequate facilities at your apartment as well. We can have you moved to more comfortable surroundings in lickity-split.”

“That a medical term?” Sunset smiled with a raised brow.

The man chuckled. “That's how I get these assignments, you know. They say my bedside manners are impeccable.”

Sunset relaxed back into her chair, so tired she could almost pass out. “You take good care of her, because I'm going to need some help.”

The sound of the air conditioner in their apartment was almost unnoticeable. It let out just enough of a hum to blend in nicely with the sounds of all the medical equipment packed into their bedroom. Twilight lay there on the bed, still monitored. Only this time it was by fewer people. Just one doctor and nurse were in the apartment. A single guard was posted awkwardly inside their front door.

“Like, really?” Dash acted put out. She was perched at the end of the Shimmers' bed with her legs criss-crossed.

“I don't think it's that bad,” Twilight whispered almost as low as Fluttershy normally did. She was tucked under the covers and thankfully cool enough not to be uncomfortable. Memories of the broken A/C days instilled in her feelings of fondness and misery.

“Dagi was going to be coming over,” Rainbow pouted. “Now what?”

“No reason to change plans,” Sunset peaked in through the doorway and beckoned the athlete. “I could use your help with dinner, Dash.”

“Ugh,” Rainbow stuck her tongue out as she got up. “Fine...”

“Honey?” Sunset looked to her wife.

Knowing the question, the woman nodded with a wane smile of assurance. She needed nothing at the moment.

After Rainbow and Sunset were in the kitchen and the two medical staffers were out of earshot, Rainbow whispered what she had been holding in. “You're totally bumming without the love play, am I right?”

“Brash as always,” Sunset shook her head but had to stifle a giggle so Rainbow wouldn't know she found it mildly funny. “Help cut these cucumbers.”

“So,” Rainbow gave Sunset a sideways smirk as they worked at the counter. “You got toys or what?”

Sunset prevented herself from smacking herself in the face, since she was holding a knife. “How'd you feel if I asked the same about you and Adagio? Wait!” she rushed to stop herself. “Don't answer that.”

Rainbow wiggled her brows.

“Do I want you around our baby?” Sunset asked aloud, not really seeking an answer.

Thankfully, before the reply came, the doorbell rang.

Sunset sighed, put down her knife, and went to the door just as the guard backed away from the peephole. She took a look as well and was nearly given a heart attack when all she saw was one enormous eyeball on the other side.

“Surprise!!” shouted the person outside.

Sunset groaned and unlocked the door. She was nearly run over by the person who thus darted into the home. “Pinkie, heel.”

The poofy pink-haired girl stopped in her tracks in the middle of the living room and dropped to her knees, panting like a dog.

“Twilight's not in full strength. Don't crawl all over her, okay?”

“Okie Dokie Loki!” the overly-cheerful girl saluted in return before getting up and walking more calmly towards the bedroom. “Sup, Dashie?” she waved on her way.

“Pinks,” Rainbow acknowledged in return and continued dicing the vegetables.

The famous Pink Baker twirled around the doorframe into the bedroom and gasped dramatically. Twilight was laying there in the bed restfully and nothing was really out of place except perhaps for some medical equipment that normally wouldn't be there. Pinkie wasted no time in zipping to the edge of the bed, respecting their wishes not to jump the pregnant girl.

“How's it going, Smartypants?” Pinkie cheerfully asked her tired-looking friend.

Twilight blinked slowly. “Could be better but could be a lot worse too. Pinkie...”

“Yes, All-Knowing One?” the poofy-haired girl ginned big and sat her face on her hands. Her arms were propped against the edge of the bed and she fluttered her eyes in pretend innocence.

“Why are you in my bedroom?” Twilight asked bluntly, though not rudely, as she adjusted her glasses.

“I heard my bestest best friend had the downsies so I had to come and make sure you were okie dokie loki! What kind of friend wouldn't make sure their friend is okay?”

Twilight felt warm from Pinkie's concern, but she was hardly feeling down before she came. “It's alright, Pinkie. I'm fine and we're pretty sure the baby is too.”

“Baby~!” Pinkie's face lit up twice over. “I still can't believe you're going to have a baby!”

“Yes, I know,” Twilight patted the girl's hand to try calming her. “Could you pass me that glass of water?”

The party girl gave her friend the glass sitting on the night stand. While Twilight took a drink, Pinkie kept up the conversation. “Boy or girl?”

“We'll see, Pinkie,” Twilight replied coolly after swallowing. “Sunset and I agreed to have the doctors not tell us until much later. That includes Theory. I suspect he already knows because he has a terrible poker face.”

“You play poker with him?” Pinkie looked like she just ate something weird and couldn't figure out what it tasted like.

Twilight shook her head. “It's just an expression. I'm not into card games.”

Pinkie gasped as dramatically as she had when she entered the room. “But we've totally played together! Go Fish, Old Maid, Jokers On You!”

“I do things with my friends that I wouldn't otherwise do because I enjoy spending time with you all.”

Pinkie teared up and dropped her head into Twilight's lap. “You're...” she cried and sniffled. “Such...a good....friend...”

Sunset peeked in from the door once more. “Need anything, honey?”

“Just a tissue for Pinkie,” Twilight giggled while rubbing her friend's back.

But Pinkie suddenly snapped back up, face clear, and back to her usual cheerful self. “What are you going to name the baby?”

Sunset was just about to go back to the kitchen but then ground to a halt.

“We haven't discussed that yet,” Twilight said with a sober face. She glanced to Sunset, who just nodded and left. “Pregnancy lasts a long time, Pinkie, and we won't even know the sex until later. We were planning to take our time selecting possible names.”

“Whoa!” Pinkie's eyes widened in awe. “Even name-choosing is like a super fun activity then. Why didn't I think of that?”

“I don't know,” Twilight humored the girl and let her take the glass of water back. “Would you like to offer any suggestions?”

Pinkie nearly jumped up into the roof, her hair poofing out even more in excitement. “That would be unbelievably amazingly extraordinarily wonderific!”