• Published 8th Feb 2015
  • 1,594 Views, 55 Comments

Blazing Blades Online - Saro0fdemonz



It was just supposed to be a game, but now it has become reality.

  • ...
10
 55
 1,594

CH 5: Walking and Talking

"What are we doing?!" Sweetie Belle yelled as they ran

"We're running!" Scootaloo laughed, grinning as she spotted the Teleportation Gate.

"Run faster!" Button yelled. Glancing over their shoulders they saw Diamond Tiara on their tails, snorting angrily with the blades of her gauntlets and boots glowing yellow. She was ready for a fight, and so was her army.

"We ain't gonna reach it in time!" Applebloom yelled, skidding to a stop and shifting into her stance. Rumble swore under his breath, stumbling and watching as Applebloom sidestepped Diamond Tiara, slapping away her arm and gasping as Diamond pivoted and slammed her bladed boot into her rib.

Applebloom hooked her arm around Diamond's leg, her free fist glowing blue as she roared and smashed it into the girls knee, slicing clean through her leg. Diamond shrieked and stumbled backwards, her guards surrounding her with weapons drawn and several mares tending to her leg. Applebloom panted slightly shaking off her nerves and blinking as Rumble stood beside her with his Katana ready.

"You're an idiot, ya know that?" Rumble asked.

"Ya'll followed me back here, whats that make you?" Applebloom asked.

"HEY IDIOTS! COME ON!" Button yelled as they stood at the gate.

"You're sorely mistaken if you think you'll be escaping" Diamond growled as she pushed back to her feet, shaking out her recovered leg and slipping into an advanced judo stance. Applebloom grit her teeth.

"She's mine." Applebloom growled, tensing up and letting out a slow breath.

"Don't be stupid, we do this together. You take her, and I'll cover your back. Best case scenario, we back up to the gate with the others." Rumble whispered.

"Or we save your stupid asses." Button said from behind Rumble, Sweetie Belle placing her hand on her hip and holding her Rapier at the ready. Spike rested his blade on his shoulder, Scootaloo tossing her dagger up and down and winking at Applebloom.

"Good, then you all die together!" Diamond yelled, everyone letting out a gasp as a lone soldier appeared with a woman holding a sword to his throat. The woman looked around slowly, smiling and kicking the soldier forward.

"Looks like I'm just in time for the party, AH! Calm down! I'll tell them in a minute!" The woman yelled, clutching her head for a moment. She cleared her throat, turning her attention to Diamond Tiara.

"Well, if it isn't the pampered little princess."

"Why you!" Diamond rushed forward, the woman smashing her fist hard into her face and dropping her to the floor.

"You are lucky I'm being watched." the woman growled before turning her back.

"I'm happy to see all of you doing well. Scootaloo, your mothers are very happy to see you."

"M-My moms? Wait, what the heck are you talkin' about? Who are you?!" Scootaloo demanded, gripping her dagger.

"We can't talk here. Follow me!" the woman yelled with a laugh, rushing past them to the gate. The six glanced at each other and chased after her, hearing Diamond scream in frustration before they vanished.


"Looks like I'm just in time for the party."

"SCOOTALOO!" Rainbow and Twilight screamed together, tears stinging their eyes as they caught sight of their daughter on the screen. Milano screamed as their voices rang in her head.

"Calm down! I'll tell them in a minute!" Milano yelled at them.

"Sorry, it's just..." Twilight covered her mouth, letting the tears run free, one screen holding a still image of Spike and Scootaloo next to each other with their weapons ready.

"Look at them Rainbow..."

"I see em Twi' an they look like they are doin' awesome." Rainbow said with a smile, squeezing Twilight's shoulder. The two gasped as Milano floored Diamond, unsure if they should scold her or pat her on the back. Supposedly the world had no pain besides a faint tingle, but the mind was a confusing thing and when it expected pain, it normally reacted.

"You are lucky I'm being watched." Milano growled, turning her back on Diamond who was distracted by her guards panicking about her.

"I'm happy to see all of you doing well. Scootaloo, your mothers are very happy to see you." Milano spoke up. Scootaloo froze, tensing up slightly.

"M-My moms? Wait, what the heck are you talkin' about? Who are you?!" Scootaloo demanded, gripping her dagger.

"She's getting up, you need to move!" Rainbow said into the mic. Milano swore under her breath

"The gateway! Its a teleporter back to safety!" Twilight yelled.

"We can't talk here. Follow me!" Milano yelled with a laugh, rushing past them to the gate. The six glanced at each other and chased after her, hearing Diamond scream in frustration before they vanished.

Milano blinked as she stumbled out of the gate into the Town of beginnings, six friends appearing behind her. She was caught by surprise as Princess Luna walked out of the shadows.

"I trust everything went well?" Luna asked.

"As well as they coulda gone Princess." Applebloom answered, a bit out of breath. Luna nodded, turning to Milano.

"She is there..." Twilight gasped. Milano bowed her head for a moment, Luna raising an eyebrow before drawing her sword.

"Princess! What are you doing?!" Sweetie Belle gasped.

"She was not here when the truth was exposed and I have not seen her before. So tell me, who are you, and how did you enter this world?" Luna demanded.

"Wow, she's good." Rainbow mumbled.

"Milano, just tell her the truth, tell..."

"I know what I'm doing Princess Twilight." Milano said. Luna froze, pressing the tip of her blade to Milano's throat.

"Explain your relation to my sisters student."

"Princess Twilight sent me here. Princess Celestia gave her one of the NervGear Helmets to tinker with and she built a system that allows me to log in and out. I'm suppose to relay messages between her and all of you."

"Prove yourself."

"Now would be a good time to give me something to say to your kid Princess." Milano mumbled.

"In Sixth grade Scootaloo overslept and wet her bed, we told Cheerilee she had caught the flu." Rainbow blurted out

"Scootaloo, in Sixth grade, you overslept and wet your bed. Your parents told your teacher you had the flu." Milano repeated. Scootaloo blushed bright red.

"She's telling the truth...How could you Mom?!" Scootaloo yelled. Luna sheathed her blade.

"So Twilight Sparkle has discovered a method of communication. This is wonderful news. Am I to believe she can hear me now?" Luna asked. Milano simply nodded.

"Twilight Sparkle, it brings me much joy to know you are among one of hopefully many working on our escape. I assure you, as long as I breath I shall allow no harm to come to thy children or thy friends kin. But I require their assistance, and the path will be dangerous. I require your blessing in allowing them into combat."

"A-Allowing them...in combat..." Twilight started to shake. Rainbow however relaxed herself.

"Scootaloo and Spike are tough, they can handle whatever this world throws at em." Milano repeated from Rainbow.

"Hey, can we talk to them?" Spike asked. Twilight sniffed and tried to calm herself, still shaking even as Rainbow hugged her from behind.

"Of course Spike. The Princess is actually in tears right now. She's so happy to see that you are okay."

"Hey Twilight. I uh...wanted to apologize for not comin' back on time. We kinda got distracted..." Spike chuckled nervously.

"Spike...you dummy." Twilight mumbled.

"She says you're a dummy." Milano chuckled.

"Yup, I kinda expected that."

"Hey, you don't have to cry! We're doin' awesome! In fact we just beat the first floor boss. We're gonna be outta here in no time mom!" Scootaloo grinned, crossing her arms.

"I-Is Rarity there too?" Sweetie Belle squeaked

"Or Applejack?" Applebloom asked.

"Not yet, but now that I've found all of you I'm sure all of them will have a lot to say. Though we should probably hide at an inn or something. I'm sure that friend of yours will want to find us as soon as possible." Milano pointed out, the gate starting to glow. Luna crushed a crystal, the group appearing inside of a broken down building.

"This is where you've been staying?" Milano asked.

"Looks can be deceiving." Luna smiled, walking through a nearby wall. One by one the others followed.

"Thank you Princess...it means a lot that we'll be able to talk to our families." Sweetie Belle said as she passed by.

"Just uh...please don't tell my mom I'm not the best yet." Button chuckled nervously.

"I'm sure she already knows." Milano winked. Button felt a chill run up his spine before he too went through the wall. Milano followed last, eyes wide as she stepped into what could only be described as a mansion.

"This is actually a dungeon entrance. We cleared it out and its been our hideout ever since. Seeing as its a secret dungeon, only Beta testers know about it and no one wants to run it cause of how hard it is." Spike explained.

"I'll call everyone." Rainbow said softly, patting Twilights' shoulder.

"Milano, would you mind having Scootaloo and Spike hold your hands?" Twilight sniffed, wiping away her tears.

"Scootaloo, Spike, Princess Twilight uh...wants me to hold your hands. I'm sure she has a reason behind it..." Milano mumbled. The two shrugged, each grabbing hold of one of her hands.

"Spike, Scootaloo, can you hear me?" Twilight asked. The two jumped in surprise.

"M-Mom?" Scootaloo stammered.

"Yea, uh...How the heck did you pull this off?" Spike asked, chuckling and looking around.

"I-It wasn't easy. Oh, its so good to hear your voices again. Spike, what were you thinking laying on the floor?! Do you know how heavy you are?!" Twilight fumed.

"Oh man, I've missed that."

"Me too..." Scootaloo sighed.

"What?" Button looked between them.

"If we touch her we can hear Twilight" Spike chuckled.

"And Rainbow just went to get everyone else, they'll be here soon." Twilight said with a smile.

"And Rainbow is bringing everyone else to talk to us!" Scootaloo said excitedly. Luna placed her hand on Milano's shoulder.

"Twilight Sparkle. I have attempted to contact my sister through a telepathic link we share. But the device we wear blocks our thoughts from her. We managed only but a single word to each other. Would this creation of yours be able to amplify the link?" Luna asked.

"I'm not sure Luna. This was all an experiment. I wasn't sure if it would work at all. I'm sure that we can get a message to Celestia though." Twilight answered.

"I am glad. Let her know that we are well and that Dr Accord himself is behind this madness."

"We're aware...he left us a present. The helmets have a failsafe mechanic and..."

"They explode upon the death of a player. We were warned of this, but hearing confirmation only strengthens our resolve." Luna sighed, pulling her hand away.

"So its true..." Rumble sighed, crossing his arms.

"We figured it was, ain't nothin' changed. We're gonna beat this game an git home safe." Applebloom said with a smile.

Twilight gasped as her friends poured into the room, Applejack being the first to snatch up a headset

"Applebloom?! can ya hear me?!" she cried

"AH! A-Applebloom. Your sister would like to speak to you..." Milano groaned, putting a hand against her ear. Applebloom put her hand on Milano's shoulder.

"Big Sis?"

"Applebloom! Ah'm so happy knowin' yer okay...Fluttershy's been workin' herself ragged helpin' us take care o' all ya'll. I-Is everythin' okay?"

"We're fine Big Sis. We're doin' great actually. We jus' beat the first floor o' this place. Ah'm workin' hard Sis an so is everyone else. Ah bet we'll get outta here in no time." Applebloom smirked.

"A-Ah'm happy t' hear it. Ya'll hurry up, Z-Zap Apple harvest is jus' round th' corner ya know." Applejack sniffed.

"Y-Yea...Ah know sis." Applebloom said softly, pulling her hand away.

"Applebloom?" Applejack gripped the table, but Applebloom had already walked away. Sweetie Belle bit her lip, grabbing Milano's shoulder.

"Rarity, are you there?" She asked softly. Rarity blinked as Applejack passed her the headset.

"Sweetie, are you alright?" Rarity asked, shaking a bit. Sweetie Belle smiled and nodded.

"I-I'm perfectly fine sis. Everyone has sort of been protecting me. I-I'm not really the strongest so they have been working really hard...I-I don't want to make any promises I can't keep...b-but I know that working together we can get out of here! S-So just wait for us, okay?"

"You listen to me, Sweetie Delia Belle. You are not weak! I'm sure your friends need you just as much as you need them. And hurry back, Pinkie Pie is driving herself rather batty trying to figure out the date for your welcome home party." Rarity choked. Sweetie Belle gulped and nodded.

"W-We'll do our best."

"Thats all I can ask you to do..." Rarity agreed, holding out the headset. Thunderlane grinned as he grabbed it.

"Hey Rumble, lookin' good buddy!" He chuckled. Sweetie Belle turned to Rumble.

"Your brother is there. He wants to talk to you."

"My brother? Ah geez..." Rumble sighed, switching places with Sweetie Belle.

"Yo"

"Yo? Really? Rumble...are you alright? I freaked out when that Doctor guy said that helmet was gonna kill ya..."

"Relax, we've got this! Just uh...don't tell Mrs' Mash that Button isn't the best Swordsman yet." Rumble winked to his friend, Button giving him a thumbs up.

"Uhh..." Thunderlane looked over at Milano strapped to the computer, Twilight and everyone else shaking their heads.

"Sure thing. My lips are totally sealed."

"Appreciate it. And uh...mind watchin' my fantasy football team? Pretty sure I've missed some good trades."

"Y-Yea. Just get outta there in one piece an try not to blow up the house bud. We're all rootin' for you guys. Oh hey! Don't forget to thank the Princess! If not for her, we wouldn't have the supplies to keep you guys alive an well out here or even be able to talk to ya."

"You don't have t..." Twilight began

"He's right. We owe you a lot Princess Twilight. We've got a chance at winning this and we've got extra time thanks to you. We were all kinda worried about rotting away in here."

"well, you're welcome. Just take care of each other in there." Twilight spoke up, calming herself and turning her attention back to the main screen.

"Alright well...I dunno how all this stuff works, but I'm gonna let Princess Twilight get back to work. Stay safe buddy."

"Yea...will do." Rumble chuckled, pulling away and returning to his seat.

"Milano, its probably best for you to take a break here. We don't know how overexposure to the virtual world will affect you and you should walk around in your regular body for a while." Twilight warned.

"Seems thats my cue to leave for now." Milano sighed, sliding open her menu.

"wait, who are you?" Button asked. Milano only smiled as she hit the button.

"I'm just a friend." she said, her character collapsing in place. In the real world Milano slowly opened her eyes, groaning and sitting up.

"How long was I in there?" She mumbled, gasping as she was hugged by several people.

"One at a time!" Milano cried out, everyone pulling away.

"Sorry dear its just...risking your life like that just so we could speak to our loved ones..." Rarity began.

"It means a lot t' us Sugarcube." Applejack finished. Milano smiled, rubbing her eyes, the lights still a bit bright.

"Well it was kind of fun in there actually. I can see the appeal." she chuckled, wincing as Twilight shined a flashlight in her eyes.

"Just as I feared. There are side effects." she mumbled, scribbling down some notes.

"I'm fine Princess. The lights are a little bright and my back is a little stiff, but I'm fine."

"Yes, you are, but what about them?" Twilight asked, pointing to the screen which held the last image Milano had seen of the kids.

"Oh..."


"Help us put her somewhere comfortable." Luna ordered, Spike lifting the strange woman Bridal style and carrying her to an empty room.

"Well, looks like Twilight is working just as hard as we are." Spike chuckled as he came back downstairs, his smile fading at the sad faces he saw.

"Guys, whats wrong?"

"Nothin' jus'...feelin' homesick again is all. There ain't no way we're gonna git outta here 'fore th' harvest..."

"And Rarity sounded so...depressed..." Sweetie Belle sighed.

"Rarity is just worried about you Belle, an we'll get outta here as fast as we can AB. So cheer up for Celestia's sake, we can't have the two of you bein' all moody on us. We need you." Scootaloo said, pulling them both into a weak headlock. They slowly smiled, pulling free of their friends hold.

"Yer right! Why ah bet we can git out in time fer th' Timberwolves t' howl!"

"Yea!" the crusaders cheered, sharing a high five.

"Its kinda weird though...I figured my mom woulda been one of the first to talk to us." Button mumbled.

"Maybe she's just confident or waiting on you to finish the game?" Rumble shrugged.

"Yea..." Button agreed, stretching and walking past them.

"Well, I'm gonna get a nap in. Wake me in three hours!"


"Twilight, what do you mean?" Rarity asked slowly.

"Milano was in there for a few hours. She is a bit groggy, sensitive to light, and suffering some lack of motor control. If only a few hours in that world can cause this, what will a week do? Or a month? or a year?" Twilight sighed, reading over her notes.

"Are you saying they might come back to us...worse for wear?" Rarity suggested, doing her best to beat around the worst possible scenario.

"Well, its a possibility they might not walk again, or could lose any number of their senses. None of this has ever been done before. But don't worry, with Milano's help, I'll be looking into it." Twilight assured her friend before a long yawn escaped her.

"Twi' uh...ah appreciate everythin' ya done but...when th' heck was th' last time ya'll got some shuteye?" Applejack wondered, pointing at the bags under her friends eyes.

"Its been a few days, but I'll be fine." She blinked as Rarity and Applejack turned to Rainbow Dash.

"Don't look at me like that! You have no idea how hard I try to get her to bed!" She argued, crossing her arms.

"Twilight, for us, for your friends and family. Get some sleep." Rarity all but begged.

"I..."

"Twilight, we ain't givin' up til ya'll get a few winks. Th' kids ain't goin' nowhere an ya'll ain't no help t' em if ya can't keep yer eyes open." Applejack pointed out. Twilight looked between them and sighed, glancing over at Rainbow Dash.

"You're right...Maybe just an hour or so..." Twilight finally gave in, gasping as a blue blur snatched her up and carted her upstairs, the bedroom door slamming shut.

"Heh, ah thought thats what she meant but...uh, maybe we should skedaddle?"


"Button? Are you awake?" Sweetie Belle called out, peeking her head into his room. She squeaked as the light flickered on, Button leaning against the wall with his hand on the switch.

"Couldn't sleep. Whats up?"

"Everyone is getting ready to head out..." she began, shaking herself and putting on a determined face.

"Button whats wrong?" she demanded.

"Something isn't right Belle. I was so sure my mom would be there with everyone else. Its just bugging me is all."

"I'm sure there was a reason."

"Yea...well, we should get going. We gonna leave our mystery guest a note?" Button asked.

"No need, I'm tagging along." the woman chuckled from outside the room.

"That reminds me, who the heck are you anyway?"

"I work for the Princess, thats whats important. If you need a name, call me Micki." she winked, ruffling his hair before making her way downstairs.

"Theres something she isn't telling us. Like how her name is hidden..." Button grumbled.

"Does it really matter? Maybe its something Twilight did? She's here to help us and she's our only link home." Sweetie Belle pointed out. Button sighed and put on a smile.

"Yea, you're right Belle. It doesn't matter. What matters is getting out of this place." He patted her shoulder as he walked past her, the 'unicorn' letting out a sigh as she followed him. Downstairs everyone was double checking their gear.

"Everyone ready to set out?" Spike asked, glancing around at everyone. His eyes stopped on 'Micki'

"Hm?"

"Can Twilight still hear us?" Spike asked. Micki shook her head.

"Her friends convinced her to get some sleep. She's been working nonstop since Day One. I'm sure it won't last long. Why? Something personal you need to say?"

"Yes. I don't like it when ponies hide things. You probably have your reasons, but if we're going to have you on our team then you need to be upfront with us. I don't care what Twilight says. This is a war, a fight for survival, we can't have secrets among each other."

"I understand. But I am not one of you. I'm not under your command. I'm not even a fighter. I'm just the walkie talkie. So I will walk, and I will talk. I don't think Princess Twilight would be too happy if I lost track of you." Micki answered, Spike growling slightly. Luna grabbed his shoulder and squeezed.

"If Twilight Sparkle trusts this woman, why not should we?" she asked. Spike sighed and nodded in agreement.

"Alright, lets move out!"


"My Queen, should we not occupy the town?"

"They will return here and when they do I want their heads. Be ready." Diamond growled, clenching her fists.

"HEY!" Scootaloo yelled. She wore a grin as she watched Diamond turn to find her simply standing among her soldiers.

"Lookin' for me?" the dagger user taunted. Diamond kicked off the ground, grunting as Applebloom smashed into her side out of the shadows, pinning her to the ground. Rumble and Button leapt from a nearby rooftop, resting their blades against Diamond's throat. Spike marched up the stairs with the others, his blade slung over his shoulder and smoke curling around his face.

"Alright, now here is how this is gonna go down. You all make a nice little path for us, and we don't gut your little Princess." Button growled.

"You wouldn't dare!" Diamond yelled, eyes wide as Rumbles' sword slide past her cheek and into the cobblestone.

"You've killed many innocent ponies. In polite society you would be put to death. We'd be doing Ponyville a favor." Rumble said under his breath. Luna drew her blade, pointing it at the crowd.

"Allow us passage and we shall free thy leader, refuse and she pays the price." Luna threatened. One by one the army thinned, allowing Luna and the others to walk through. Applebloom lifted Diamond, keeping her arm around her throat and her free hand gripping the other earth ponies' wrist, pushing her arm up against her spine and marching backwards.

"You won't get away with this." Diamond growled.

"Ya know, if'n it were up t' me, ya'll woulda been dead last time we fought." Applebloom chuckled, giving her arm a slight shove, causing the mare to cry out.

"Don't hurt her!" a soldier cried out.

"Stay back an ah won't have t'!" Applebloom yelled back.

"Everypony good?" Button asked as they reached the edge of town, soldiers getting as close as they felt was safe. Spike stabbed his sword into the ground just at the exit.

"Move out." he commanded. Applebloom shoved Diamond into the crowd of growing soldiers, bolting after her friends.

"No you don't!" Diamond roared, her eyes rolling back in her head as Rose rushed past, smacking her hand hard into the back of her neck.

"You'll get your fight another day Diamond Tiara." she whispered. Spike inhaled, his chest puffing outwards moments before he let a large flame fly, scorching the earth before him and blocking the path of their would be attackers.

"Alright big guy, lets go!" Rumble called, looping Spikes' arm over his shoulder, Scootaloo slipping under his other arm and the three marching out into the fields, vanishing from Diamonds view.


Moments earlier

"A secret door?" Milano asked, watching as Spike rapped his knuckles on the wall.

"It'll be a good way to catch them off guard. Button and Rumble have the best agility besides Scoots. So they'll attack from above. Scootaloo has better speed, and a stealth multiplier, so she'll sneak out into the crowd and distract Diamond. Thats when Applebloom can strike from the shadows with her strength buff. If all goes well, we can reach the edge of town and I can block the path with my flames." Spike explained, grinning as he found the stone he was looking for. With a light tap of his knuckles the wall shifted, forming a doorway.

"Are you certain Spike? You'll be weakened from using your fire won't you?" Luna questioned.

"If all goes to plan, you guys should be able to drag me." he shrugged, reaching over his shoulder and gripping his sword.

"Alright, lets go!"


"Think you can walk buddy?" Rumble asked. Spike nodded, shifting his weight towards Scootaloo, Rumble drawing his sword and joining up with Button to help clear a path to the next town. None of them knew how long Spikes' flames would last, but they would need to be in the next town well before then.


Twilight slowly opened her eyes, feeling Rainbow curled up against her side and a wing draped over her. For a moment all of her worries seemed to just melt away, up until she glanced over at a family picture she kept on her nightstand. She sighed as she snuck out of Rainbows embrace and dragged her feet to the shower.

"Evening Twilight" Celestia greeted her. Twilight waved to her former teacher, reaching for the buttons of her shirt and freezing in place. Her tired mind took far longer than she would've liked to process her current situation. She was left with no other choice but to scream and faint.


Scootaloo raised an eyebrow as Luna chuckled softly.

"What the heck is funny?" she wondered as she peeked around a building. It seemed Diamond had been foolish enough to camp in the first town just as they had expected her to. But it never hurt to be careful.

"Though it is weak, I can still sense the link my sister and I share. She seems to have stumbled upon something rather amusing...It warms my heart to know she can laugh at a time like this, and brings me great hope of our success." Luna explained, marching out into the open with a warm smile.

"Come then, let us find shelter for today!" Luna cheered.

Comments ( 6 )

Awesome chapter. :ajsmug:
And Trolestia strike again. :trollestia:

Dragons OP :pinkiehappy:

Also, from DT's perspective, the 'Big Bad' is Luna and Spike is her 'Dragon'. I love when 'The Dragon' is an actual dragon. :rainbowlaugh:

I feel kinda bad for Button. Thinking his mom can't, or worse, won't, talk to him has got to be horrible. Kinda cool that she gets to play an awesome (if dangerous) game with him without him knowing who she is, tho. I'm conflicted.

You know now that they have someone that can monitor the world and report it, how long before they can issue warrants for pkers and attempted pkers, and deal with them the only way they can given theirs no other means of enforcement.

It raies a whole ton of legal questions when you can clearly see someone committing murder in that fashion and they can't technically stand trial... do you just deal with them or are you forced to let them continue their crimes until they return to the real world and can try and mount a legal defense.

Of course Equestria doesn't necessarily have a Bill of Rights so there may be even fewer limitations on what law enforcement can do.

6645863 Virtual Reality is a very new thing. Its something that is still being experimented with and studied and thus, there are no laws for what occurs in the virtual realm. Yet.

Really enjoyed this

Login or register to comment