• Published 5th Feb 2015
  • 2,890 Views, 53 Comments

Little Jackie - Zubric



Losing her parents at such a young age had affected Applejack more then she would ever like to admit. During one of her therapy sessions, she's given a chance to try a very unique treatment in order to help her cope. (Foalish themes present)

  • ...
40
 53
 2,890

Hard to let go

Owls wooted outside as the night had fell upon Sweet Apple Acres. the Apple family members all snug in their beds dreaming away the hardships of the day prior. Applejack, however, had remained awake sleep denying its sweet embrace upon her as she lay in her bed for the past few hours now. She constantly shifted about, trying to find a more comfortable position as the bed creaked with each attempt. But alas, It was no use her bed might as well have been made of rocks to the trouble earth pony.

She rolled to her right, staring at the wall of clutter. The was a large assortment of papers strewn about in an organized chaos that only she could comprehend. Her eyes lazily wandered towards the calendar, her view fixated on today's date. A thin, red circle was drawn on this day in particular. She let out a heavy sigh as her feelings took her by the reins remembering what this day meant to her.

She could have left the date blank, or put something else in its place, but that wouldn’t have changed anything. She would remember, markings or not. It wasn’t something she could easily forget, nor should forget.

Turning to lay flat on her back once again, she couldn’t help but glance at her father’s Stetson hanging on the bedpost. Memories started to flood into her mind, her father’s deep throated laughter as he moved his drenched brown mane out of his eyes. Her mother’s comforting hugs when she got scrapes or bruises, and so much more that caused Applejack to sniffle a little.

Now unable to drift off into slumber, she tossed her blanket aside, clambered out of bed, and took her hat from the post placing it upon her head.

"Just one quick visit, then I can sleep." She took the bronze lantern from the hall closet and with a quick flick of a match lit the surrounding space in the orange glow of the fire. Holding the light in her teeth, she headed down the stairs, out the front door, and into the night beyond. She glanced up at the full moon, taking in the wonders of stars and the wonders it created in the eternal night panting. To her, each one was like as a happy memory, treasured forever, but much like the stars, they felt so distant and out of reach.

Applejack shook her head as another tear ran down her cheek, forcing herself to look away from the spectacle. She quickly turned her attention to the hill in the distance where a larger than normal apple tree sat atop of it. Her body was on auto-pilot as she walked her way up to the grassy hillside to the one place she visited only on a few occasions. Each step made her heart feel heavier, sadness welling up inside. Her knees trembled, making her have to stop and take a breath or two.

Keep it together Applejack. She tried to remain strong even when she knew she was alone convinced that a momentary lapse would cause her emotional control to break. After a minute of silence, and a few careful breaths of the cool midnight air she moved onward. She soon reached her destination staring up at the branches of the old tree she known since fillyhood. Alongside the roots of the tree stood two old stone tombstones. Etched upon each stone were the cutie marks of her parents along with smaller apple shapes decorating its surface. The light of the lantern cast eerie shadows upon them as Applejack set it on the ground.

Noting the leaves scattered on the engravings, Applejack wiped them clean with her hoof. “Hello father, mother, I came to visit,” She said, her voice soft and quivery. As her hoof ran along her mother’s stone, she paused, taking a good long look at the detailed vine carvings set into it.

Her mother always did have a green hoof. Her passion for gardening always provided a very bright and colourful environment around the flower beds. A small smile came to Applejack's face, remembering the time she helped plant a rose into the porch flower box. Her mother’s joyful smile she had received in return for such a good job floated in her vision.

She closed her eyes thinking hard about that smile. That cheerful, carefree grin, welcoming anypony that came her way. The very same smile that she saw each morning when she awoke. A tear ran down her cheek as the sadness sank her head low to the ground.

2 years, had it really been that long ago? She had been just a small filly when it had happened, a little younger than Applebloom was now. Their bodies had been found mauled by Timberwolves just near the Everfree forest. Nopony ever found out why they had gone out so far from the farm that afternoon. Maybe they wanted to take a walk together. Whatever the reason, it had happened too fast for anything to be done about it.

Like a wound up spring, the farm pony’s hoof slammed upon the grass. “You should have been there for Applebloom, you just had to be so stupid and go out during Timberwolf season!” Applejack muttered, lips trembling. She cleared her father’s stone letting out a sigh. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to shout.”

Even if they were dead, she wouldn’t dare to disrespect them.

Her family had always been there to support her, but it just never seemed to be enough to help let go of the crushing sorrow that dwelled in her. She was only a filly, she couldn’t have done anything to change things, so why did she feel this way?

She lay down on the moist grass, setting her hat down and resting her chin upon it. She took slow breaths trying to calm herself. Her eyes close as she let the world around her soothe her soul.

The night air rustled the leaves, its crispy touch blowing against her fur. She took deep breaths of the spring scents around her. The stimulation reminded her of a happier time. A time when she felt the world had no worries at all.


]It was a bright, cloudless day, as Applejack ran down the row of apple trees, giggling contently. Her big brother was right behind her, chasing with a grin upon his face.

“Come back here, you little speedster,” Big Mac called out. He darted around one of the trees, trying to catch Applejack off guard, but to no avail. The speed demon filly simply zipped passed him as he jumped out of his hiding spot.

"Can’t catch me!” The carefree filly giggled, as she ran off towards the picnic blanket just up the hill. The smell of fresh apple pie greeted her as she sat down to rest. Her happy laughter caught the attention of her father, his hat resting upon his dark brown mane.

“Some filly sure is having fun,” he said. He ruffled Applejack’s mane causing another slight giggle from her.

Applejack smiled wide, watching her brother run up to her. “Someday I'm going to be strong, just like you Mac.”

Her father nodded at her eagerness. “Well, you sure are faster than him, that is for sure.”

Big Mac huffed playfully. “I only went easy on her because she's a filly.”

Applejack stuck her tongue out. “Nu-huh, you just a slowpoke.”

“Being slower than my be little sister? Don’t be crazy!” He reached out, starting to tickle Applejack on her belly. “Haha, too slow this time!”

Applejack broke out into a laughing fit kicking her legs about. “Stop, that tickles!”

Mother looked over dawing at the sight. “Isn’t that just cute, our little apple is ticklish?”

“Mommy, make him stop!” Applejack pleaded past fits of laughter.

Mother kept watching them play for a while before Big Mac gave up and stopped the tickles. Applejack quickly ran into her mother’s forehooves and hugged close to her chest. “Eep, keep the tickle monster away.”

Big Mac kept wiggling his hooves playfully at her smiling “Grrr.”

Applejack clung to her mother. “Eep protect me!”

The mother gently patted her mane. "I'll always protect you little Jackie.”


]“Applejack?"

She sniffled, her face planted in her hat as tears ran down her face.

The voice called out to her again.

“Applejack?” She felt her side being nudged by a large hoof which could only mean one pony in particular.

“Mac...” she looked up to see the red stallion shimmering in the light. She sniffled, slowly getting up and sitting on the grass.

“What are you doin’ out here at this time of night?” He asked. His voice was full of concern and comfort.

Applejack pointed to the graves silently as the wind rustled the trees.

“It’s today, isn’t it?” He asked offering up a hug.

She nodded before holding onto her brother tight. She didn’t have to say a word, her action more than enough to convey her state of mind.

“Shhh, it’s okay, I’m here.” He comforted, moving his hoof along her back while also stroking his sister’s mane.

“It...it… it just ain't fair.” She whimpered, hugging tighter for warmth.

“I know, I know." He kept up his gentle massage, "Come on Applejack let’s get back to the house, maybe some tea will help your nerves.”

The two kept hugging for several long minutes, neither saying a word. After what felt like forever, Applejack breathing started to settle and she pulled away from the hug. “M-maybe but... it doesn't help for long.”

They started their journey back to the farmhouse, Big Mac kept close to her. Upon entering the kitchen a few minutes later, he spoke up. “Have you seen the therapist?” He asked, setting the water on the kettle to boil.

Applejack took a seat at the table, curling her tail over her cutie mark. “Yes, every other Thursday, but what does that have to do with this?” She gestures toward the calendar.

“You can always talk to him freely, just like you do with me.” He sat down as well the chair creaking slightly.

“I know that, but what if he thinks I’m weak or somethin’?” She held her tail with her right hoof looking down veins in the wood.

Mac rubbed his neck, hesitating for a moment before he spoke again. “I don’t mean to pry at private conversations, but have you ever talked to him about, you know, our parents?”
Applejack looked up her eyes till watery and red. “N-no, not really. I just get to worked up talkin’ about them.” she rubbed her eyes “ I mean look at me cryin’ like a foal.” She said wincing a bit.

“I really do think you should talk with him, he might be able to help more than we can.” He rose to his hooves once more, giving Applejack a firm hug.

Once more, Applejack hugged him back, her eyes closed as a few tears trickled down her face. Soon the water came to a boil and Big Mac let go in order to pour his sister her tea.

Applejack took careful sips of the peppermint tea, breathing in the aroma. The only sound to be heard for some time was the clock idly tickling away. It was only after she had finished her whole cup, that she replied.

“I-I think you might be right. Today is our meeting anyway.” She replied looking into her brother's tired eyes. She felt almost guilty, feeling so sad right now, depriving her big brother of his sleep just for her. Was it possible he, too, had trouble sleeping tonight?

]Despite his tired posture, he grinned. “Come on little sis, let’s get you tucked back into bed, long day ahead of us.” He let out a long yawn as they walk up the stairs.

Applejack lazily climbed back into her bed, looking into her brother’s caring eyes. Mac pulled the sheets over her body with delicate care. She sighed at the event taking place before her, being tucked into bed like a mere filly. She didn't mind, though her brother was always there for her. The warm embrace of the blanket, combined with Big Mac’s comforting presence was enough to help her feel relaxed. She closed her eyes hearing Big Mac walk towards the door.

“Thank you, brother.” Applejack sighed.

“Goodnight, Jackie.” He replied, gently closing the door. Within moments, Applejack fell into a dreamless state of rest. She felt at ease, at least for the moment.

Author's Note:

Would love feedback about it.

Also the foal treatment and such won't happen till later in the next chapter, maybe the third depends on how I write the next one.