• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 1,996 Views, 97 Comments

Translucent Heart: Tales of a half breed - Harmony Split



Do you think that every changeling is bad deep in it’s heart? Do you know that some changelings, especially the mares are nothing better than slaves? My name is Aurora Blue. I’m a half breed and this is my Story.

  • ...
13
 97
 1,996

Alone in this world (Special POV)

Chapter seven: Alone in this world (Special, Berryshine POV)

As I slowly awake, something white laid next to me. My mind was still sleepy, but I had no time to lose. I yawned and gently nuzzled into the fur next to me, enjoying the warmth.

“Good morning, Snowy, my love,” I whispered without thinking.

The warmth was astonishing and I grabbed it with all my might, tugging closer and planted kisses on the soft fur. Nuzzling deeper, I breathed in the scent , it was an astonishing one, fresh like the air after a night rain with just a hint of lilacs.

Wait… that’s not her scent… what…?

I looked up and was met with the blushing face of Aurora. My mind slowly pulled the pieces together and I froze in shock.

I… I kissed Aurora… on the coat, but still!

With a startled ‘eep’ I jumped up and rushed to the bathroom, not paying attention to anything. I smashed the door closed behind me and paused, breathing in several deep breaths. A look into the mirror showed my face; confused, shocked, and... lonely?

Years… it has been years and I still loved and missed Snowbreeze with all my heart. I thought I would go insane with grief but then this white pegasus named Aurora came into my life. Yes, her mane was another colour but still, she gave me some strength. A tear made it’s way down my muzzle.

“I miss you so much Snowy.” I whispered into the mirror.

I just ruined the friendship with Aurora. There is no way she could forgive me for such a thing. I like her so much, I don’t think I could stand her leaving. How funny, we met just days ago and yet she already feels like my oldest and closest friend.

Shaking my head clear, I headed to the shower and turned it on. I waited a while until it was hot, then jumped under the water. It felt like bliss, the water tickling my coat, washing everything away. Yes, a shower always helps clear my mind.

I enjoyed the shower for as long as I could, I could’ve stayed in their for hours, days even, but that would be hiding. I knew I had to face Aurora.. With a sigh I turned the shower off and stepped out, grabbing a towel and started drying my fur.

Right now her wings would really come in handy.

I blushed furiously. It was a bad thought, nothing like that would ever happen! Not like I ever wanted such thing… Shaking my head again, I dropped the towel and left the bathroom. Aurora wasn’t in the living room so I moved to the kitchen upon hearing noises coming from there.

Aurora was sitting at the table, in front of her were two trays with some buns and marmalade. I tried to smile while apologizing, my muzzle was trying to come up with whatever excuse it could.

“I’m sorry, Aurora. I dreamt about Snowbreeze last night, and when I woke up cuddled next to you, and all I could see was your white fur. My mind just… I’m sorry,” I hesitated, looking down at the floor.

Before I could say anything else, Aurora rose from the chair and after some small steps she was at my side. The mare unfolded her wings and took me into her soft embrace. I blushed furiously, knowing what a wing-hug meant.

“Don’t be.” she whispered softly, but backed away when she saw me blushing. “What?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

I gulped. “Aurora... last time. You hugged me with your wings. I thought it was just the moment, but now you’re doing it again. You know what it means if a pegasus hugs with their wings?” I paused and tried to met her gaze while she simply nodded. “It means that the pegasus really likes the pony they’re hugging, you know?” I continued.

Aurora’s expression never changed, “So what?”

Wait, did she just…? No way… I’m just imagining things. No… she really said it!

I looked surprised at her, but that shock soon changed into a smile. “I like you too, Aurora. How about I show you the room behind the café today? Where I do the cakes and so on? Maybe you're going to be the next pastry chef, Aurora!” I laughed out and squeezed her tightly.

Aurora soon joined my laugh and we broke the embrace to sit down on the table and enjoy breakfast. The buns were the first things gone and soon I caught Aurora looking up at something. Following her gaze, I saw what time it was on the clock, it was almost time to open the café.

As we finished, I smirked at her and grabbed my bags while pointing at some more next to the fridge. “Would you be so kind and carry them? The ingredients for some cakes are in there, fresh out of Ponyville.”

Aurora nodded and put them on. I rewarded her kind deed with a smile. Walking out of the kitchen and the house, Aurora was hot on my tail. The sun shone brightly, a warm breeze flowed around our coats. The walk to the café was quite enjoyable with her company. I guess it’s true what they say, with the right company anything can be memorable.

At the café I tried to reach into my bags for the key, but Aurora was way too quick for me. She pulled them out with her wing and quickly opened the door. Somehow the little minks managed to steal a smile from me with the most basic actions.

“Like I said… they come in handy,” I chimed happily as she gestured a wing for me to go in first.

Aurora laughed as I reached the counter and went behind it, walking through the door into my creativity room. It was just a small kitchen with an oven, counters, and a few fridges. I caught the surprised expression of the pegasus as she looked at me.

“Sorry, Berry, but if I may ask… You’re no unicorn. How can you keep all the fridges running? It sure must cost a lot of magic,” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

I walked to the corner of the room and opened one of the storage cabinets, revealing a big machine. “A good friend of my cousin visits every month to load some magic storage. They keep the fridges running.”

Aurora leaned in and inspected the machine. “Ahh, I see,” she said and nodded. When she leaned in I caught another smell of the mare…

Where have you been all my life.

She stared at the machine for quite some time, an unreadable expression on her face, and I left her be to get started on my day. “Well, let’s see if you can make a simple vanilla cake. I got a list of ingredients here, and some instructions on what you have to do. I want you to just try it while I prepare everything else for the customers. You think you can do it?” I said and beamed her a smile, grabbing my baking book and opening the page for the simple cake.

Aurora gave me an eager nod and turned to the book, going through it. I smiled at her serious expression and went through the door to back behind the counter, to get everything else prepared. While boiling the water for the coffee, my mind found itself lost thinking about Aurora again.

Can I feel this way about somepony else? Am I just using her? I know I still love Snowbreeze. Why is this so difficult?

I thought about all the moments I spent with her. From finding her in the desert to the laughing small amount of conversations we’ve actually had. And then about this morning. Even after realizing that she wasn’t Snowbreeze, it felt right, at least that’s what I thought.

Pondering a bit I found myself re-imagining that hug we shared. Looking back at it, it just felt right in so many ways. Her feathery embrace had tickled, but it had also felt warm and good. Shivering, I continued my work before glancing towards the clock.

Oh my, I just spent minutes doing nothing but daydreaming.

Just as I finished preparing the tea, Aurora came in and I gave her a quick, warm smile before continuing to make the coffee. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her returning it softly.

She’s so sweet… Wait, where did that come from?

I found myself lost in my mind again before the sound of the boiler snapped me out of it. I poured a full cup of coffee before looking up. The café was empty except for an earth pony with a green mane and me.

Where did she go?

A bit worried, I opened the door behind the counter and stuck my head in. The room was empty and a quick glance at the stove showed me that Aurora had finished her task exceptionally well. There was a small, nice looking cake baking in it.

She’s really got a hoof for that… well, a wing in her case.

Sighing, I returned to the counter and looked around. Still no Aurora. My gaze turned to the mare still sitting and sipping at her coffee while reading the newspapers.

“Hey, do you know where the white pegasus went?” I asked her.

She looked up and around, confusion on her face. “Nope, but my company is also gone. Maybe they went out for some fresh air?”

Without another thought I went to the exit, leaving my café behind me. I had no idea that I missed the sound of a magic blast just seconds before I opened the door and stepped outside. Looking around, Aurora was nowhere to be seen.

I decided to walk around for a bit and reached the town limits after a short time. In the far distance, I thought I saw a white blur that quickly faded away in the far distance. I had no idea if it was Aurora, but my heart as well as my mind snapped.

“Aurora!” I screamed. “Aurora, please come back!”

No matter how loud I shouted, the white spot was gone. My legs suddenly hurt and were unable to carry my weight anymore, causing me to collapse on the ground.

“Aurora…” I whispered, tears were starting to form in my eyes.

Why did she run away? Did I do something wrong? Did she even like me?

My mind went in panic-mode and all that pain of the past returned. I was alone again. Aurora left me just like Snowbreeze did all those years ago. I had no clue why my mind thought of it like that, but I wasn’t able to figure it out at the moment. Making myself as small as possible,
The pain of her loss made itself known, it became all consuming in my mind. Over and over again I replayed her face, the way she smiled at me, the way her hair felt when I woke up. To make matters worse my mind started to combine those memories with Snowbreeze. They played through my head like a sick joke against me.

I lost track of time and everything else at that moment. My memories became all consuming. Memories of a white pegasus with a blue mane.

Aurora…

***

“Berryshine!” a hard voice made me jump out of my memories.

I blinked strained tears away, looking directly into the Sheriff's worried expression.

“Miss Berryshine, are you alright?” he asked.

I blinked again. “I… Aurora ran away…” I already felt new tears running down my muzzle.

“Then it isn’t her…” the Sheriff mumbled before focusing on me again. “A unicorn felt a wave of energy behind your café some time ago and alerted the guards.”

“What happened?” my voice quivered.

Maybe she is hurt and didn’t run away?

The thought wasn’t any better.

“One of the unicorn guards found the remains of a pony buried into the ground, magically destroyed. We don’t know what happened, but I think that your new friend might have something to do with it.”

No! Not Aurora! Why should she harm anypony?

“Sheriff, I don’t think it was Aurora. She helped me so much the last few days and she’s so y caring. Maybe she was attacked? She is no unicorn, there’s no way she could use magic! We have to find her, Sheriff!” I shouted as he seemed to smile about something I said.

“Just a friend?” he smirked. “Alright Miss Berryshine, but for now we should take you home so you can get some rest. I will talk with the captain of the guard and we’ll see where we head from there.”

“Thank you.” I mumbled as he helped me to my hooves, supporting my walk towards my home.

Aurora, where are you? What happened?

Author's Note:

Here it is.
I know it is a unusual one, but I just wanted to cover what Berryshine was thinking and feeling.
Expect the next chapter soon enough^^