• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 1,996 Views, 97 Comments

Translucent Heart: Tales of a half breed - Harmony Split



Do you think that every changeling is bad deep in it’s heart? Do you know that some changelings, especially the mares are nothing better than slaves? My name is Aurora Blue. I’m a half breed and this is my Story.

  • ...
13
 97
 1,996

I'm different!

Chapter one: I’m different!

I laid down in the cell, trying to get at least a bit of rest on the hard floor. Not only had they captured me, but they even went so far as to break my right wing. The pain made it very hard to find comfort on the cold stone. When they had come for me, my mother was still sleeping downstairs. I only hoped that she would be alright and still alive.

What do they want from me?

My mind was rumbling by the time I heard hoofsteps and the clinging of keys. I raised my head, seeing a changeling standing at the cell door, no expression on his face.

“The Queen wants to see you,” he said as he opened the door.

I wanted to fight him and grab the keys from his lifeless limbs, but I knew I had to play with them. At least for as long as they had my mother. So I nodded and followed him upstairs, leaving the dungeon.

As soon as we left it, a group of changelings joined us, every one of them looked just like the others. They escorted me through various corridors, every changeling on our way looking at me. The look on their faces was undefinable. Confused? Scared? Knowing? I had no idea, so I decided to abandon the thought, instead just following my guards towards my destination.

We stopped in front of a pair of large doors, which slowly opened in a haze of green magical aura. It looked like a throne room made entirely out of stone, except that there was a dark green shine over everything. It took me a moment to discover that the green shine was caused by the overwhelming amount of changelings in the room.

I never knew there were so many of them.

At the end of the room rested a large stone block, quite simple in design. However, what drew my attention was the figure sitting on top of it; a changeling that was much taller than the rest. With the height and slender limbs, the changeling looked very much like a pony alicorn, and very definitely had feminine features. She smirked with amusement in my direction before turning her head off to the side. I followed her gaze and my heart froze. My mother was hanging in a green cage beside the stone block, a few meters from the female changeling.

“My Queen, we brought you the prisoner you wanted,” one of my guards said while bowing deeply and snapping me out of my thoughts.

The Queen smiled, and it wasn’t one of the good ones. It was a wicked, evil smile that made me shiver. Her eyes wandered over my body before raising an eyebrow.

“Take down your disguise, your Queen demands it from you!” she exclaimed, pointing at my body.

All I could do was be confused, “What?!”

She wasn’t really amused as she got up and began walking towards me.

“I said take your disguise down, now! Obey the orders of your Queen!”

“I don’t know what you are talking about! What disguise?” I asked, not knowing what to do next.

With a growl, she turned to face my mother, catching her in her green aura before violently shaking her.

“You! Why haven’t you told her yet? Why is she unaware of her state?” she nearly shouted.

My mother slowly smiled before looking at me, the smile turning sad, “I always tried to keep it away from her, keeping her well fed so nothing bad could happen.”

“You incompetent fool!” the Queen screamed towards my mother before letting her fall down and then turned towards me, “I can’t believe you don’t know about your state as a half breed. Drop your disguise right this instant, little underling, and I may let you and your family live!”

“Half breed? What are you talking about?” my wide eyes were seeking for the answer in my mother’s eyes, but she looked down, a tear running down her muzzle.

“I am sick of this acting!” the Queen yelled at me furiously, “Stop lying to your Queen and drop it, or I will make you do it!”

“What I say is the honest truth. I don’t know what you are talking about!” I simply replied, still trying to gather my thoughts with what little information I was given.

Before I could think more about it, the Queen howled in anger before she approached my mother and dragged her out of the cell with her sickly green aura. Holding my mother next to her, she looked wickedly at me.

“I give you one last chance. Drop the disguise or your mother will die,” she said in a calm tone, only scratching more on my nerves.

My heart stuttered and my mind tried to find a solution, working and thinking until it hurt, “Wait!” I screamed, “I really don’t know what to do, I don’t even know what you mean! Please don’t hurt her! Please…” my last word was drowned in a sob, but the Queen still looked unamused.

“Wrong answer,” She mused before a scream was let loose from my mother, a sound so cold that it froze my blood solid.

The Queen lowered her head and sank her fangs into mother’s neck. She screamed and tried to squirm out of the changeling’s grip, but to no use. The Queen released, but quickly bit down again before focusing me.

“Do you know your father?” she simply asked, blood dripping from her fangs.

I looked at my mother, who seemed luckily unharmed except the bitemarks, “Mother said it was a one night stand with some stallion from Canterlot.”

“Have you ever felt… some sort of power that you just couldn’t explain?” The Queen seemed interested now.

“Well, yes. At least sort of,” I stammered, “Mother said I would be more open to the magic around me because my father was an unicorn.”

“Let me tell you something about your father,” the changeling began while my mother tried harder to escape, “Seems like your mother doesn’t want you to know, but I will tell you. Your father is a changeling, one of my swarm.”

My brain stopped, “W-what?!”

She just continued, “You are a half breed. Half changeling, half pony. As far as I can see, half Pegasus,” the Queen chuckled before staring at me, “You will serve in my hive and do everything I demand from you. If not… “she grabbed my mother tighter, “...then I’ll kill your mother and wipe your family from this world.”

“Why are you doing this? Besides, that can’t be truth, I know you reproduce through eggs,” My words came out weak, tears running down my muzzle as I felt that power inside me raise.

“Because a half breed is more powerful than a regular changeling, and I want your power. And yes, we do reproduce with eggs, but a changeling can also fertilize a normal mare. Obey my command, or she will die!” the Queen shouted, fangs nearing the throat of my mother.

“I don’t believe you! I will never follow your command!” I screamed, not able to think anymore while the power boiled up inside me

“What a shame, really,” the queen replied, then another scream that turned into gurgles.

The Queen bit down on mother’s throat, blood quilling out. As I moved to approach her, the guards tackled me down, holding me to watch. I could do nothing but watch the life of my mother end. With a yank, the Queen broke free, mother stammering some words that were nearly inaudible as she fell.

“I’m sorry. I love you, Aurora”

I couldn’t feel anything besides the power. It felt like it was about to burn me, so I set it free. A powerful shock rocked through my body before I tore forwards and hit the Queen, who was sent backwards. I approached her again but was soon brought to a halt in a green aura.

While my mother still bled out, the Queen levitated a mirror in front of me, leaving me in shock.

This is not me!!!!

In the mirror a changeling stared at me, shocked and with wide eyes. The changeling looked like every other changeling, with two exceptions. It had the shapes of a mare, and bore my cutie mark.

The next sound was a scream. The animalic scream of somepony that had nothing to loose anymore. Another look into the mirror told me that it was my scream.

Turning and twisting in the grip of the Queen, I inspected myself, checking every detail. Something just didn’t fit this story.

“I’ve never had to feed off of love, or had to disguise myself as a pegasus!” I exclaimed, not really expecting an answer.

The Queen smiled, “You are a half breed, but more a pony than a changeling. You don’t have to disguise, as long as you have enough power. The pegasus is your true form as a pony. For the part of the feeding… let’s assume your mother fed you with her love all those years, but I expect something else as well. As a half breed, you may not need only love. You do eat normal food, don’t you?” I nodded slightly, “You need normal food to survive, but I suppose that at least every few days you need a bit of love to keep your power up.”

I was still far away from accepting myself, but the Queen distracted me by pulling me into a genuine hug with her. Squirming, I tried to break free, but somehow the touch was actually calming.

“I’m giving you a chance,” she started, her voice comforting me a bit, “I’ll let your mother live if you accept me as your Queen. I will invite you to my hive, I will even give you a high rank under me. At the same time, I will teach you everything you have to know. Is this a deal?”

I doubted she was offering me everything without having her own thoughts, but it was a chance, “You can save her?”

“Of course,” she answered, “So you accept me as your Queen?” she released her magic grip, my hooves touching ground again.

Having no other choice, I looked at my mother that was about to pass away, a small sorry forming on my muzzle before bowing deeply before the Queen.

“I’ll be yours, my Queen. I promise to accept you and your orders,” I said, my voice a bit shaky.

***

I jumped up as I felt a hoof touching me, slightly shaking. Looking around I realized that it was in the middle of the night.

It was a dream. I hate the past…

Sighting I caught the sight of a mare who was still poking at me.

“Hey, are you alright?” the mare asked.

I tried to answer, but remained still, first unfolding my wings and checking the texture, making sure my Pegasus body was there before facing the mare in front of me again. She was an earth pony, her coat the color of a plum and with a raspberry mane. She looked slightly worried at me.

“Can you hear me? Is everything alright?” she asked, louder this time.

“Uhm no, I’m not feeling so well, that’s why I settled down here to rest,” I replied, not quite sure why that mare cared.

“Staying out here is not the best idea, you know. It can be pretty cold at night. Can you walk?” she asked and I answered with a nod before she continued, “Follow me, please.”

I was confused, but I stood up nonetheless and followed her while she lead the way to wherever her destination was. We walked a bit in silence before she broke it, smiling at me.

“I’m Berryshine! What’s your name?”

“Uhm, Aurora Blue,” I replied, nearly inaudible.

“Ohh, no need to be so shy, I won’t harm you! You’re a pegasus! I love pegasi! That flying, letting the wind ruffle through your mane and pet your wings. I can only imagine it to be amazing!” she blurred out, making me chuckle.

She blushed at the sound, heading forward as another wave of silence caught us. I had no idea why this earth pony seemed to trust me so easily, why she talked to me carefree. Maybe she was just nice and a good soul.

I like her.

This made me laugh hard. She was friendly, open and nice. I knew her for about thirty minutes and I already liked her.

“Is everything alright?” she asked with concern after my laughing died down.

It was me that blushed this time, trying to look away, “Yes, just thought at something.”

“A bit for sharing your mind?” she simply asked me.

I turned towards her with surprise, catching her smile with a bit hanging out between her teeth. The sight made me laugh all over again.

“You really do take your word, don’t you?” I managed to get out between laughs.

“I think that it is an important part of life to keep to your promises and words, and always be honest,” she answered, still a small smile covering her muzzle while she tossed the bit into her saddlebags.

“This is a nice mindset, if I may say that. You sound nice,” I replied, blushing at the last sentence.

She blushed as well, and another few minutes of silence passed before a small town came into sight.

“Welcome to Dodge City, Aurora Blue,” Berryshine said while waving with a hoof towards the town, “I’m taking you to my place so you can rest, follow me.”

“Uh… w-what?” I stammered, “Y-you don’t know me. If you would be so kind and show me the next hotel or inn I could-,” A plum-coloured hoof stopped me.

“Listen to me, please. I think you are nice and you told me your name. My grandma said that everypony that tells you his or her true name is trustworthy. I insist that you follow me and stay at my place until you feel better,” Berryshine gazed quite seriously at me, so I just sighed and nodded.

We continued our way through the town, seemingly an earth pony town. Everything looked wild and rough, most of the houses just made out of wood. Berryshine lead me through the town to the other end, which still only took maybe ten minutes. She stopped in front of a small, wooden house, the blinds of it were in the same shades of her coat. It seemed to fit her.

“Home sweet home,” Berryshine said before pushing the door open, holding it for me.

I hesitated in front of it, but a sad look on the earth-pony made me sigh and enter nonetheless.

Inside was, to say the least, a bit rustic. The living room we stood in was barely furnished, a small couch and various chairs placed around a big wooden table. It was rustic, but looked comfy.

“Let me show you everything,” Berryshine said and motioned me to follow after she placed her saddlebags down.

The house was small, only containing a bedroom, a kitchen and a small bathroom besides the living room.

“It’s comfy. I like it,” I said to the earth pony after the tour, which made her blush a bit.

“Glad you like it,” she nodded towards the living room, “I hope the couch is comfortable enough for you.”

“Of course, thank you for everything Berryshine,” I smiled at her, which she returned eagerly.

The next moment was full of surprise as the mare stepped forward and embraced me in a comforting hug, after which she quickly turned and trotted over to her bedroom, stopping at the door..

“Good night, Aurora Blue,” she said before she closed the door behind her.

“Good night, Berryshine,” I whispered before taking my place on the couch, trying to get into a comfortable position for sleeping.

It wasn’t long before I fell into unstable dreams.

***

Hunger

I woke up, again with pain and hunger that weakened me.

Must... feed

Something strange flowed through my body, making me shiver.

Soo… tasty…

I got on my hooves and followed the feeling. It led me straight towards Berryshine’s bedroom. Opening the door a crack, I saw Berryshine laying on her bed, cuddling something in her hooves. The feeling came from her, spreading some of her love on the photo that she cuddled.

No… have to resist…

My hunger increased as I caught a taste of the love that reached me, the licks of it making me more eager to feed. Berryshine let go of the picture a little, enough to let me spot the picture of a white pegasus. She looked kind of like me, except with a green mane and a different cutie mark.

“I miss you, my love,” Berryshine whispered as she hugged the picture again, spreading more of her love around.

I couldn’t resist anymore, I slowly opened my mind to the feeling that was pouring from the pony in the other room, soaking up the love and satisfying my hunger.

Yeessss... feed.

My mind struggled and Berryshine froze, seeming to recognize something before she slowly turned to the door. As her scared expression met me, I simply snapped.

NO! I’M DIFFERENT!

I broke the connection with a sudden snap, closing myself away from the feeling and breaking myself away from the love that I felt. With my mind closed off, I suddenly collapsed onto the ground with a heavy thud. The Queen used to tell me that I should never close the connection that quickly once I was feeding. Now it would be too late. The last thing I saw and heard was Berryshine reaching me, calling my name and pushing a hoof against me. What she said never reached my ears as my view blackened and my mind faded.

Author's Note:

Chapter One!
A small insight into Aurora's past.
I hope you like the story so far, but I don't know when chapter two will follow